EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-26-2005, 12:36 AM   #1
Blackguard

Developer

We are looking for players who play EverQuest II from real world locations out of the norm (aircraft carriers, submarines, cruise lines, hot air balloons, etc). Tell us your story about where you log in from (serious posts only)!

YARR!!!
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:55 AM   #2
NEO-MATR

i login at work SMILEY hidding from my boss heehhe honestly i play most of my online time playing in a city hall
NEO-MATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:02 AM   #3
Khalay

Well i guess i log on from a location that is a little outside the norm.

I'm a nurse working nightshifts at a psychiatric hospital. Usually there are like 5-6 hours each night where nothing happens and you just need some way to kill time. I find playing Everquest 2 considerably shortens down my nightshifts. Thankfully there is a wireless network here which I can hook up to my laptop, and I have no problems playing the game on my laptop.

Naturally, playing from a hospital means I usually cant play much in groups and raids. Patients has priority for obvious reasons and I sometimes need to leave the game at a moments notice. This is not fair to other group members so I tend to stay out of groups while playing. This is not a problem though since there are tons of stuff to do solo.

I'm sure there are others with more interesting locations, so please share SMILEY
Khalay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:20 AM   #4
Cyanrav

I live 40 minutes from the nearest McDonalds, and 195 miles from the nearest mall (City of Wenatchee, Wa). I live in the STICKS!! And I play on a 28.8 dial up /grin. Refuse to raid in EQII, so lag doesnt' come into play, as long as I stay out of zones that are heavily populated.

Cyan

Cyanrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:25 AM   #5
Kendricke

Loremaster

Blackguard wrote:
We are looking for players who play EverQuest II from real world locations out of the norm (aircraft carriers, submarines, cruise lines, hot air balloons, etc). Tell us your story about where you log in from (serious posts only)!

I thought laptop play wasn't officially supported.  :smileywink:

* -Opinions expressed in this post do not represent any current or past employers.
Kendricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:35 AM   #6
Belin

Loremaster

Our Guild Leader, Fathercat, plays from his little room in the arctic tundra known as Thule Air Base, Greenland. He is stationed there in the U.S. Air Force =) In fact he just had a polar bear wander onto the base and the Danes had to come and take care of it  SMILEY Send this man some warm socks! lol
Old 10-26-2005, 03:28 AM   #7
Zyphius

Loremaster

I, sometimes, play from a laptop that doesnt even meet the minimum system requirements (yes, it is visually ugly) plugged into a cell phone that is dialed up to the internet when I am on drill for the reserves.

Cessation, 26 Necro of Unrest
Twilight Raiders
Zyphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:53 AM   #8
Tamat

Allakhazam

I play from a town in Alaska. I've logged in before in the middle of no where in a snow cave using a Cell phone to connect. I've also logged in quite a few times after a long day of Snowboarding at the top, or close to the top of an Alaskan Mountain. I'll try to get some pictures this winter SMILEY

-Tamat

The Zam Network
http://eq2.allakhazam.com/
Tamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:58 AM   #9
Alli

Though not entirely impossible, the odds of being able to log in from the submarine are unlikely.....Unless I end up with a CO that plays....and understands what its like to go without it for months.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:45 AM   #10
Wolfvi

General

One of the guys in my guild (Quicking, 50 Troub) is in the Navy also. Just recently he logged into the game from a cyber cafe in Bahrain over in the Middle East since atm he's deployed over there. I know back in the day when Navy internet security wasn't up to par some guys and I had a laptop we could log on and play EQ1 while we were deployed on da ship.

As for most military people when they deploy you'd laugh but the'll head to a internet cafe in hopes that they can load the game up and log on when they get liberity time. I've done it and I know many others will and have.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:29 PM   #11
Nari

Loremaster

I log in from the US Secret Service headquarters building.  (Not the game, but the forums.)  Our firewall/content filter hates you too much for me to play from here. When you get a PSP add on working, I will be get on from our roof at lunchtime.  Please hurry!  My evil coworker makes me go work out at lunch. SMILEY

Nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:06 PM   #12
Brill

I'm sure I'm not alone in playing from hotel rooms when traveling.  Now I'm wondering what the record is for number of different states/countries played from.

-Brillig (only 3 different states)

Old 10-26-2005, 08:42 PM   #13
Jhoric

Loremaster

I play on a Compaq if that counts, har har : P (Never buy a Compaq)

Purgatory - Nektulos
Jhoric Lonewolfe
70 Druid (collecting dust) - Xegony
Jhoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:15 AM   #14
Ram

Loremaster

LOL, too funny Jhoric! SMILEY

Meeci [GUK]

Draye [GUK]

Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:00 AM   #15
LokiHellsson

Loremaster

How about the parking lot of a truckstop in central Wisconsin? There were 3 open wireless networks, the Burger King had the best bandwidth, beating out the Super 8 and the Texaco. My mini-van has a power converter that plugs into the lighter.
LokiHellsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:57 AM   #16
ridgerbay

Loremaster

Looks like a level 25 polar bear I'll send my pet in to kill... and then use lightening shock and lightening storm HO...2 times that will kill it.

:smileyvery-happy:

ridgerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:24 PM   #17
Grimquest

General

I play from Canada.

Considering 99% of Americans have no idea where Canada is, I would say that's pretty out of the norm...

Grim

Grimquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:26 PM   #18
Exmortis_MT

Loremaster

Grimquester wrote:

I play from Canada.

Considering 99% of Americans have no idea where Canada is, I would say that's pretty out of the norm...

Grim

LOL ok that made me laugh.....wait...DAMMIT I am Canadian too!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:32 AM   #19
FilanFyretracker

Loremaster

Grimquester wrote:

I play from Canada.

Grim

only thing i know about Canada is that Quebec is your Version of New Jersey(ie the Butt of all the jokes)
Old 11-03-2005, 10:20 PM   #20
Zyphius

Loremaster

Grimquester wrote:

I play from Canada.

Grim

You mean the state of Canada?

lol... JK!!

Cessation, 26 Necro of Unrest
Twilight Raiders
Zyphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 07:58 PM   #21
burnman

Loremaster

What's a Canada?  Is it raidable?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:31 PM   #22
RancidMa

burnman wrote:
What's a Canada?  Is it raidable?

well it might be but i think the loot (oil) must be pants. otherwise that well know guild "the USA" whould be camping it everynight.

Shocking/Clarty/GingerMonsta
RancidMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:07 PM   #23
Zachatan

Loremaster

FUnny as it may be... a good friend of mine... he bought a 2 story house with a 2 story Bomb shelter below... converting the bomb shelter into his own personal play ground... we have a total of 18 fully upgraded computers for EQ2 and lane parties we through once a month....  Commonly on weekdays i join him there to play some EQ2 as well as EQ1 before i moved to EQ2....

And lane party days... All 18 computers are used playing from EQ2 to Duke nukem SMILEY

Zachatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #24
Ama

General

I don't know if my friend transfered to EQ2 or has gone on but I played another game with a fellow guild mate called SWG.  Dude was a trucker and would log on and play with us from his Big rig.  Was pretty hard to believe but hey my guild now is comprised of 6 people in it that are all related by blood :smileywink: .
Old 11-13-2005, 11:13 PM   #25
skahld

Loremaster

I play from a lot of airports across the US. I was surprised at how many recognize EQ2 (and EQ in general). I play without headphones because I don't want to miss flight information. I think I've scared some people with the odd noises coming from my laptop.

Skald Newt

Lavastorm

skahld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:59 AM   #26
Bewts

Loremaster

I won't discolse the name of the hotel, but since September 5 2005 I have been logging in from a hotel in Kuwait City while on deployment for the DoD
Bewts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #27
RylokDarkba

General

I play from work. Although my company has a very secure network, the vendor that runs our lunch room does not SMILEY
RylokDarkba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:45 AM   #28
Dystr

General

RylokDarkbane wrote:
I play from work. Although my company has a very secure network, the vendor that runs our lunch room does not SMILEY
this one really did make me [Removed for Content].  hahaha.

Dystrax Dysenchanted - 60 Coercer
The Tribunal - Butcherblock
Could I have a more appropriate last name?
Dystr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:29 PM   #29
Buc

I've played some times on airplain when I take long flight like 12 hours (such as London<>Tokyo).
Boeing's in-flight wireless network definitely works fine :smileyhappy:
Many people (mainly CA people) are a bit surprized to see that.

However, I can only do that when I can have a seat in Business class, as running EQ2 is really battery consuming and I need plug in power cable :smileytongue:

The only problem is I have to stifle a grin time to time while chatting...

Buc is offline   Reply With Quote