EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
DiasTheLion

Lord

No flaming please, if you disagree with me, or another member, fine, but don't make a big deal about it.

Ok this hasn't happened to me, but it has happened to multiple people i know in game.

People who use a merc and go afk, get a short warning, sometimes a teleport into the middle of an ocean and drown, or they get a temp ban.. which would lead to a perma ban.

Here's the thing, I'm seeing this happen more and more, where there are no warnings, no emails or ingame mails to the players, they just try logging on, and find they've been banned. But, this is Sony's responsibility not the players. A guild mate just got banned because he fell asleep with his merc out. It happens.

There aren't any road-blocks in game, no restrictions that disallow people from pulling out a merc, and going AFK. Anyone with a merc can do it. Before it was barely limited to conjurors or necromancers, which had to place themselves carefully since the pets can't do a whole lot on their own. Now anyone with a monk or shadowknight merc can pop it out, go afk, without the slightest hinderance.

You gave all players with the AoD expansion the ability to do this. You're enabling us to do this.

This is where Sony should take responsibility to prevent this from happening, not just punish people. It's what the governments do IRL. If they want you to stop, they put up a stop sign. If they want you to drive slowly in a parking lot, they place speed bumps.

If Sony doesn't want people to AFK level, they would program the game so such things don't happen. But since you're enabling us to do this, to use an anology, it's like giving everyone a gun, taking them to a target range, and then punishing everyone who fires it.

From what i heard, if a person goes AFK and the merc kills for about 3 hours or so without the player casting a spell, you get automatically flagged.

Instead, they could make it so if the merc kills for 1 hour, without the player casting a spell... you get logged out. Simple as that. OR, the merc goes into non-protect mode, and the player dies. The protect self/player get unclicked, and the protect drop down gets set to none. It should be pretty easy to do. Or even the merc gets suspended. And if it happens twice, the merc gets dismissed meaning the person has to go get the merc all over again.

Or simply allow them to AFK level with the merc, but every 30 minutes of non-interaction, the merc charges a fee that's 10x what it was before. 25g -> 2.5p -> 25p -> 250p -> 2500p. So if someone goes AFK with a merc.. they'll run out of money much faster, and the merc will go poof. And the player would be punished by losing a lot of coin.

Another solution. Make that player unable to have a merc on that character. Instead of a 3 day ban, try a 30 day no-merc ban. This still requires interaction of a GM, so i'd suggest the 10x coin punishment. Someone goes AFK for the night. 2h30m, and they'll have spent 2777p75g. Expensive 2 and a half hours of AFK leveling.

There you have it, multiple solutions to avoid GM punishments. All of which allow the player, to punish themselves. Remember, a banned player, can't pay a subscription fee.

PS: i know it's in the terms of service, that you can't AFK level. But you don't hand someone a can of soda, open it for them, and when they drink; kick them out of the building because there are no drinks allowed.

You don't have to agree with me. After all, I can't force you to be right.

Freeport: Lynnfa, Derpina, Dorothy

DiasTheLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Lempo

Loremaster

There is absolutely nothing that you posted in here that has any merit or validity whatsoever.

I do not believe for one minute that your 'guildmate' or anyone else was banned for a single incident. Repeated attempts sre, but not for an isolated incident of falling asleep or walking AFK and getting tied up with other things.

Every scenario you described is just making excuses, I am a classic car freak, I worked for YEARS restoring a 68 SS Camaro, that will just absolutely scream, since the government allowed that to be made and all they do is put up speed limit signs (equivalent to the Terms of Service you mentioned) I should be fine going 140 down the highway? You think my license would even survive ONE incident of that? lol.

*No insults please*

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Jesdyr
Server: Unrest
Guild: Curmudgeons

Loremaster

Dont AFK kill and you wont have an issue. You knowingly did it and got a time out and now want to complain? Sorry it doesnt work that way.

Jesdyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Yimway

Loremaster

While I tend to agree with the previous poster, it would not be hard to make the merc not do anything unless you've clicked a button telling them to or cast a spell or turned on auto attack yourself.

Merc's could just stand there and watch you die if you're afk, that type of change shouldn't be difficult.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator

Please remember that this is a discussion, trolling and insults are not permitted on these forums.  Thank you!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
DiasTheLion

Lord

Sentance #1 "No flaming please, if you disagree with me, or another member, fine, but don't make a big deal about it."

"I do not believe for one minute that your 'guildmate' or anyone else was banned for a single incident"

I didn't say it was for a single incident. Where are you getting this? I've grouped with him numberous times where he's fallen asleep. And if i check a couple hours later he's still in the same dungeon or spot.

A speed limit sign is in a sense, a hinderince, it doesn't stop you from going over the limit, but makes you more aware of what the limit is. Funny you didn't mention the speedbump. I guess you're fine going 140mph over those too.

In the US most roads have a speed limit sign immediately after you turn onto that road. SOE's current tactic, and all my suggestions,  won't stop anyone who really wants to break the rules. They'd simply use an auto-clicker to auto-cast a spell.

Edit:

[email protected]_old wrote:

Dont AFK kill and you wont have an issue. You knowingly did it and got a time out and now want to complain? Sorry it doesnt work that way.

Actually it didn't happen to me, I don't go AFK with a merc. I'm WAY to freakin cheap to pay for a merc without maximizing the gains.

[email protected] wrote:

While I tend to agree with the previous poster, it would not be hard to make the merc not do anything unless you've clicked a button telling them to or cast a spell or turned on auto attack yourself.

Merc's could just stand there and watch you die if you're afk, that type of change shouldn't be difficult.

This is definitely one of the more simple fixes. Turn off auto-protect, and let the player die. Or suspend/dismiss the merc.

My favorite is the coin one. I'm not rich in the game, but not poor. It would be nice to see some kid in 1-9 screaming cause his merc ate all his plat while he was at school.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Marnus
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Tandros os Thol

Loremaster

DiasTheLion wrote:

No flaming please, if you disagree with me, or another member, fine, but don't make a big deal about it.

Ok this hasn't happened to me, but it has happened to multiple people i know in game.

People who use a merc and go afk, get a short warning, sometimes a teleport into the middle of an ocean and drown, or they get a temp ban.. which would lead to a perma ban.

Here's the thing, I'm seeing this happen more and more, where there are no warnings, no emails or ingame mails to the players, they just try logging on, and find they've been banned. But, this is Sony's responsibility not the players. A guild mate just got banned because he fell asleep with his merc out. It happens.

There aren't any road-blocks in game, no restrictions that disallow people from pulling out a merc, and going AFK. Anyone with a merc can do it. Before it was barely limited to conjurors or necromancers, which had to place themselves carefully since the pets can't do a whole lot on their own. Now anyone with a monk or shadowknight merc can pop it out, go afk, without the slightest hinderance.

You gave all players with the AoD expansion the ability to do this. You're enabling us to do this.

This is where Sony should take responsibility to prevent this from happening, not just punish people. It's what the governments do IRL. If they want you to stop, they put up a stop sign. If they want you to drive slowly in a parking lot, they place speed bumps.

If Sony doesn't want people to AFK level, they would program the game so such things don't happen. But since you're enabling us to do this, to use an anology, it's like giving everyone a gun, taking them to a target range, and then punishing everyone who fires it.

From what i heard, if a person goes AFK and the merc kills for about 3 hours or so without the player casting a spell, you get automatically flagged.

Instead, they could make it so if the merc kills for 1 hour, without the player casting a spell... you get logged out. Simple as that. OR, the merc goes into non-protect mode, and the player dies. The protect self/player get unclicked, and the protect drop down gets set to none. It should be pretty easy to do. Or even the merc gets suspended. And if it happens twice, the merc gets dismissed meaning the person has to go get the merc all over again.

Or simply allow them to AFK level with the merc, but every 30 minutes of non-interaction, the merc charges a fee that's 10x what it was before. 25g -> 2.5p -> 25p -> 250p -> 2500p. So if someone goes AFK with a merc.. they'll run out of money much faster, and the merc will go poof. And the player would be punished by losing a lot of coin.

Another solution. Make that player unable to have a merc on that character. Instead of a 3 day ban, try a 30 day no-merc ban. This still requires interaction of a GM, so i'd suggest the 10x coin punishment. Someone goes AFK for the night. 2h30m, and they'll have spent 2777p75g. Expensive 2 and a half hours of AFK leveling.

There you have it, multiple solutions to avoid GM punishments. All of which allow the player, to punish themselves. Remember, a banned player, can't pay a subscription fee.

PS: i know it's in the terms of service, that you can't AFK level. But you don't hand someone a can of soda, open it for them, and when they drink; kick them out of the building because there are no drinks allowed.

This mentality is just insane. Unfortunately, there are some, like the OP that think this is actually an acceptable view. At first i thought this was some kind of "Joke post"-then i realized this person is serious-which leads me to believe they are either a young kid, or even more tragic, an adult who has parents that never taught them things like values, and fair play, or you know...right or wrong. I think the guy above me summed it up nicely lol.

Marnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

DiasTheLion wrote:

It's what the governments do IRL. If they want you to stop, they put up a stop sign. If they want you to drive slowly in a parking lot, they place speed bumps.

you are clearly not from the united states are you ? lol

there are hundreds of thousands of laws that we currently have and hundreds more that our government passes each year that they dont advertise about till they catch you breaking one.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
Sedi
Server: Unrest
Guild: Overlords Main Guard

Loremaster

DiasTheLion wrote:

So typical! Make sure to shove the responsibility onto someone else rather than taking it for yourself."Allow the player to punish themselves"?!?!? How about don't AFK level?

Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
PeterJohn

Loremaster

Easy tweak to game to give 0 experience for anything killed by merc and you did not even a single autoattack, spell, or combat art. After all, you didn't do anything so don't get rewarded for it.

Bot players are an entirely different issue. Ban those players I don't care.

PeterJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
Lempo

Loremaster

DiasTheLion wrote:

Sentance #1 "No flaming please, if you disagree with me, or another member, fine, but don't make a big deal about it."

"I do not believe for one minute that your 'guildmate' or anyone else was banned for a single incident"

I didn't say it was for a single incident. Where are you getting this? I've grouped with him numberous times where he's fallen asleep. And if i check a couple hours later he's still in the same dungeon or spot.

A speed limit sign is in a sense, a hinderince, it doesn't stop you from going over the limit, but makes you more aware of what the limit is. Funny you didn't mention the speedbump. I guess you're fine going 140mph over those too.

In the US most roads have a speed limit sign immediately after you turn onto that road. SOE's current tactic, and all my suggestions,  won't stop anyone who really wants to break the rules. They'd simply use an auto-clicker to auto-cast a spell.

I didn't mention the speed bumps because you said the government put them in parking lots and because they have no more relevance than anything in your original post. Though after I think about it for a minute SOE by temporarily banning people for blatantly doing this (though I am pretty certain not without a warning of some kind) is in fact a speed bump in way.

There is a limited supply of devs for this game and I think their time is spent MUCH more wisely dealing with real issues and using the punishments that they already have laid out to dean with the boneheads that just don't seem to get it.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
Giallolas

Loremaster

Every so often I see these types of posts.  I (or a friend or a guildmate) got punished for abusing some loophole in the game and then they come onto the forums trying to drum up support against some action.  My favorite as that you say in your OP that you really only want posts that agree with you, not if we disagree.

I don't know all the circumstances and I'm not the official AFK police, but let me say that I see this all the time and I'm happy that SOE is taking some action.  I'm sorry that you/they were punished for abusing the game.  Justifying it by saying it's their responsibility to enforce every single infraction and it should be hard coded to prevent you/me from breaking every rule is just silly.  Your analogies are a bit off as well.  By relating it to the firing range would be fine if you followed the rangemaster's rules.  If you don't, you will be barred from firing at that range.  That's exactly what happened here, it appears.  It doesn't mean that loaded guns shouldn't be allowed at the firing range, it just means only responsible people should be allowed to shoot them.  When they identify that you are not one of those responsible individuals, you are shown the door.  That's what's happened here and it's perfect.

I do not want SOE further regulating the game to prevent every abuse because some people choose not to follow the rules.  Please do not use my responsible freedom as the excuse for your/their irresponsible decisions.

"It was more power efficient for me to rez you than to heal you"
Giallolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
DiasTheLion

Lord

So far: people have made assumptions that i'm in the 3rd grade. A child, an adult raised without values, and now not from the united states. I guess i should post "no-flaming" in more languages.

Thank you to the people that made it through without flaming. But i think the mods, should just lock and delete. Appearently this thread, is too extreme for public discussion.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Lempo

Loremaster

yohann koldheart wrote:

DiasTheLion wrote:

It's what the governments do IRL. If they want you to stop, they put up a stop sign. If they want you to drive slowly in a parking lot, they place speed bumps.

you are clearly not from the united states are you ? lol

there are hundreds of thousands of laws that we currently have and hundreds more that our government passes each year that they dont advertise about till they catch you breaking one.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, never has been. That is why you read the TOS before you click the box that says you did and clicking next. {self moderated}

Old 05-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
SOE-MOD-05

Community Moderator

I would ask that everyone posting in this thread re-read the Forum Guidelines before making posts in the future, thank you.

SOE-MOD-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

I feel that SOE should allow people to afk level in this game. Don't encourage it, but don't punish it. If this was another game, or it was 2004 I would have a different opinion. But, so much is trivialized and just doesn't matter in this game, I don't feel it should be a punishable offense.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
bks6721

Loremaster

DiasTheLion wrote:

That would be the intended use, which is not punished.  However, if you hand them a soda, open it for them and they poor it on the floor:  I'd kick them out of the building.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
DiasTheLion

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

DiasTheLion wrote:

That would be the intended use, which is not punished.  However, if you hand them a soda, open it for them and they poor it on the floor:  I'd kick them out of the building.

This actually plays into one of my suggestions. Allow the player to punish themselves. Instead of kicking them out of the building, make them clean it up and pay for any damages. If someone dumped trash in my yard, i wouldn't settle for kicking them out of my yard, i'd make them clean it up, or charge them for having someone else paid to clean it up.

Fits well enough with my 10x the coin per 30minute tick for AFKers. If someone's only afk for an hour the worse they pay is 2p75g.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #19
Katz

Loremaster

On the last double xp weekend, I was getting aa points with my level 10 toon and a merc in Halas area.  During the weekend I would go put a load of laundry in the washer or dryer, etc.    I would move my toon and merc over to a corner away from most of the mobs but some would wander over or repop there sometimes while I was gone.  

I would have hated to have gotten banned for something like that.

That said, I don't know the particulars of the original posters case and can't comment on it. 

And finally....really....is that where we want our attention?   Surely there are enough issues in game with gear progression and itemization, the dissatisfaction of raiders, and the general loss of players in game.   Can't we focus our efforts on content of the game?   People are getting paid to go around and police afk people.  

Sometimes I feel like I'm in kindergarten....teacheeeerrrrrrr he touched my desk!!!!

Edit: I would rather they take the suggestion up above where you don't get exp unless you get hits on the mob yourself.  That is, the merc can't do all the work for you.    That would be better than banning players for falling asleep or their mom making them take the garbage out or whatever.  And paying people to go around banning for that.  Spend the money for more programmers.

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #20
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

personally, I'd rather the bans then what happened with Chelsith.

people did this in chelsith too. mages/necros plopped themselves down by the big goo, whre all the little goos spawn ad infinitum...and afk/go to bed/ do whatever while thier pets leveled them. the result was every one of those goos and all those annoying floating goos no longer give xp.

there are spots now that people use a merc to do pretty much the same thing. rather then rewritting code to make those mobs not give xp, or goign back and redoing merc code so they can tell how long a time is an 'afk leveling' flag and then auto do all the things you suggest...they are banning the offenders instead. I'd rather then ban hammer then removing spots were I can xp grind with a merc while I'm actually there to help the kills go faster.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
DiasTheLion

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

people did this in chelsith too. mages/necros plopped themselves down by the big goo, whre all the little goos spawn ad infinitum...and afk/go to bed/ do whatever while thier pets leveled them. the result was every one of those goos and all those annoying floating goos no longer give xp.

there are spots now that people use a merc to do pretty much the same thing. rather then rewritting code to make those mobs not give xp, or goign back and redoing merc code so they can tell how long a time is an 'afk leveling' flag and then auto do all the things you suggest...they are banning the offenders instead. I'd rather then ban hammer then removing spots were I can xp grind with a merc while I'm actually there to help the kills go faster.

Definitely a good point, when i plvled in chelsith i found out those didn't give xp either.

Already i know that you get automatically flagged. All they need to do, is change the flagging to a /merc suspend/dismiss

With that done, the small-problem solves itself. There would still be a larger problem of people using other programs to handle stuff.

Same can be done for conjuror/necromancer pets. The pet will stop defending if the person goes AFK for to long.

Would probably cost SOE less to impliment this, than having GM's handling everything regularly. Since a fix is; once and done. I think the solution, is just to make it unpracticle to afk level with pets or mercs. Unsummon mercs, dismiss mercs, dismiss pets.

Even an autodeath would work. Still, there are programs that could avoid this, but those go way behind AFK leveling in the terms of what's against the rules. Botters can and should be banned indefinitely. Account and hardware ID. (IP bans are useless, very few ISPs have true static IPs, semi-static at best, in which a person can unplug the modem for an hour and come back with a new IP.)

Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #22
Gravy

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

But some of the best places for merc leveling aren't set up this way.

For example, Eastern Wastes, far side of the map where that little raptor area is. Those raptors roam and spawn pretty regularly. If you made it so those raptors didn't give xp then there would be no reason for them to even be there.

That said, I support banning for people who gain an advantage while afk.

However, any ban should be followed by an immediate email to the account with the reason for the ban and steps needed to either protest the ban or have the ban removed.

Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #23
malstria

Lord

Complication not required:

Simple solution: After 1 hour (or 2-3, no more than 3 I'd say) of non-activity of the character, log them out of the game. No more AFK leveling (except for that short span). I've seen people AFK level in the game and once it even prevented me from finishing a quest because the AFK'd character was attacking a targetable Quest NPC. A GM had to intervene and actually move their character.

Just set a timer of inactivity and have the toon log out. Really, its rather simple. Other games have implemented the same thing where if your character hasn't moved from one spot in X amount of time and the system hasn't read any keystrokes from your computer, you're insta-logged. I mean, how difficult is it for the person to just log back in when they get back from their AFK?

malstria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #24
Lempo

Loremaster

DiasTheLion wrote:

Even an autodeath would work. Still, there are programs that could avoid this, but those go way behind AFK leveling in the terms of what's against the rules. Botters can and should be banned indefinitely. Account and hardware ID. (IP bans are useless, very few ISPs have true static IPs, semi-static at best, in which a person can unplug the modem for an hour and come back with a new IP.)

You continue to minimize one saying it isn't as bad as this or that, they are both against the rules, period.

It is against the rules, you or your 'guildmate'  got busted, just deal with it and move on, but coming here to try and generate sympathy and support on the forums only makes it look like you really think that it should be permissible. There is nothing that needs to be changed about this mechanic, and Istill maintain that you or your 'guildmate' were not banned for any period for a single isolated incident, repeated, intentional abuses sure.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #25
Gravy

Lord

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Simple solution: After 1 hour (or 2-3, no more than 3 I'd say) of non-activity of the character, log them out of the game. No more AFK leveling (except for that short span). I've seen people AFK level in the game and once it even prevented me from finishing a quest because the AFK'd character was attacking a targetable Quest NPC. A GM had to intervene and actually move their character.

Just set a timer of inactivity and have the toon log out. Really, its rather simple. Other games have implemented the same thing where if your character hasn't moved from one spot in X amount of time and the system hasn't read any keystrokes from your computer, you're insta-logged. I mean, how difficult is it for the person to just log back in when they get back from their AFK?

Its pretty easy to write a macro to 'move' so the system thinks you're active. Could be as simple as casting a buff on your merc or moving a few steps forward then back.

Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #26
Seiffil
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Grievance

Loremaster

Gravy wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Its pretty easy to write a macro to 'move' so the system thinks you're active. Could be as simple as casting a buff on your merc or moving a few steps forward then back.

Someone will always find a way to beat the system, that doesn't mean that SOE should completely ignore that people are breaking the rules that they have set. 

The problem is generally that the only way people get caught doing this is because another player reports them.  If SOE had a general, auto logout after so long a period of inactivity by a toon in any zone, not just houses or guild halls, that would be a good start.

Seiffil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #27
DiasTheLion

Lord

My character's name is lynnfa on the freeport server, i assure you i've not been banned for this or any reason. Like i said, i don't AFK with a merc.

So please stop insinuating that It has to do with me.

Again my guildmate, was not warned prior to the ban. Another forementioned friend, however was warned, but not banned.

You continue to minimize one saying it isn't as bad as this or that, they are both against the rules, period.

Punishments vary depending on the 'crimes'. AFK leveling has warnings that eventually lead to bans. Getting caught using bots, from my understanding, result in perma bans.

Like i said on the first sentance of my first post in this thread.

"No flaming please, if you disagree with me, or another member, fine, but don't make a big deal about it." 

If you disagree fine. But you are making a big deal about your disagreement, and more importantly you're making it personal. I only wanted to offer suggestions, alternatives to banning. Suggestions that would reduce the problem, so that banning wouldn't be required.

[email protected] wrote:

Gravy wrote:

Someone will always find a way to beat the system, that doesn't mean that SOE should completely ignore that people are breaking the rules that they have set.

The problem is generally that the only way people get caught doing this is because another player reports them.  If SOE had a general, auto logout after so long a period of inactivity by a toon in any zone, not just houses or guild halls, that would be a good start.

My suggestions would only reduce the AFK mercs, and the punishments. People are forgetting, one of the goals of this thread to come up with a solution to reduce AFK-Merc-leveling.

Banning doesn't reduce the problem, it might get rid of 1 or 2 people at a time, but as long as it's a viable, it'll continue to be a problem. The only solution is to make AFK-Merc-leveling, unviable.

There will always be ways around it, no doubt, but the whole point of this thread is to reduce the problem. I'm not saying AFK-merc leveling is ok, it's not. I don't do it, i don't like that my friends, or guildmates do it, but they are still my friends, and i don't want to see them banned. I'm just trying to offer alternatives. And i don't see why people are having such a problem with that, or why they insist on making personal attacks against me, for only trying to find alternatives that help everyone, not just a select few.

If mercs auto suspended/dismissed, or cost WAY more plat when AFK, you won't have people tempted to use them or that manner. And more often than not, you won't have people ABLE to use them in that manner.

Plus it's lore friendly. Mercs are supposed to help you out. Not do all the work for you.

If your merc suspends or get's dismissed, it should send you a mail, saying "I quit". Just for added depth.

The 10x cost... make it take from your bank/shared banks. So if someone has 5p on them, and 10kp in the bank. They'll be sitting at 0, if they decide to AFK merc for a few hours.

PS: This thread, probably stopped more would-be AFK-Merc-levelers than were banned in the last week. Simply because i made people aware of the punishments.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #28
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

How about requiring a confirmation box for paying merc salary? Every 20min. it pops a dialogue box that asks you if you would like to pay your merc for another 20min. of service, and if you don't respond within 60 seconds or so, the merc automatically suspends. Just make sure the confirmation box doesn't always pop-up in the same location so you'd have to be using a macro program to confirm it while AFK (and let's face it, if somebody wants to cheat badly enough, they will find a way).

I mean, worst case scenario for a non-exploiting character is having their merc auto-suspended while they took care of some RL issue, and that's only a 2min. wait at the longest. I suppose it could be possible to accidentally click the deny option mid-combat and suddenly lose your merc, but I don't see that being a major issue for most people.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #29
SlashnGut

Loremaster

Easiest resolution - don't do it. My main is a levl 92 conj and I have been around almost since game started. I have never once sat and let my pet or now merc kill mobs while I was afk. It is super easy to level toons in this game so there is absolutely no reason to do this. I am perfectly happy with them banning peope for doing so. Hopefully they make it become a longer ban each time the person is caught doing this. As far as the statement that a banned player cannot pay for the game - the game is paid for in advance. Ex: you pay for the month. 3 days later you get a weeks ban, you are not getting a refund for that lost week, If your act is set to autopay each month (aka recurring) you are going to get billed on your next bill date. I am not sure if you get billed if the act is temp banned but I would guess the answer to that to be yes, since the acct is not actually cancelled. I could be wrong about the last there of course. Either way tell your friend when he starts to get tired to log off and it will resolve his getting banned for breaking the rules.

Sucha 92 Conjuror/92 Sage

Mrshal 92 Monk/92 Carpenter

Bloodwingg 92 Necromancer/92 Tailor

Tior 92 Warlock/92 Provisioner

Holyer 92 Paladin/92 Armoror

Grogg 90 Berserker/92 Alchemist

Etat 90 Bruiser/92 Jeweler

Dawizz 90 Wizard/92 Woodworker

Punting 90 Brigand

Kountdracula 90 Dirge

Omgiman 92 Warden

SlashnGut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #30
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus

Loremaster

I have less than no sympathy. On a few recent runs in the Palace of Awakened I have on all occasions seem multiple people with their toons and mercs parked for hours in the same spots, calculated to have a nice regular spawn of mobs. It is simple AFK AA grinding and everyone knows it, including GMs. Sony have never made any bones about this being against the rules. A ban for one offense would be bad but repeatedly then thats tough.

Prior to the arrival or mercs you did not see this (except some pet class players) so 'he falls asleep a lot' doesnt fly, what did he do before he had a merc, fall asleep and die I guess? If you are going to call it a night then camp out first.

Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote