EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Dungeon Maker
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #1
apwyork

Loremaster

Is this trend in reducing the dungeon rewards intentional or just careless lack of planning? 

Initially it was about 900 marks to get all the decoration sets for a specific dungeon, now it costs thousands.

Extra dungeons cost 100 marks each now it's 900 for 2.

Now the research potions cost more and give you less research time?  It was 150 for a week off your research, but now it's 175 for a day.

Won't even comment on the 1800 marks for a "chance" of a boss spawner.

apwyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
Halo of G4

Loremaster

Hey!

If SoE enjoys sadism let them have their fun! Who are you to judge the devs favorite kinks? Developing fun and unique modes and then throwing them in the dump is a past time for them, just take a look at Arena.

Added Raid Zone:

The Goldrush: Dwell into the depths of RED base to defeat the Heavy, a powerful foe that even the Nameless fears.

Halo of G4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
S_M_I_T_E

Loremaster

Maybe they're:

a) Trying to reduce people's rate of farming in fake Dungeons used for farming to make it less appealing and boring for longer

or

b) Deciding that too many people have too many 'carrot' items and they need to spread it out for additional people that come along later

Either way they're treating DM like GT5 where you have to 'farm' low level tracks and was time just to get your stuff right to have access and make a pass at more complex tracks. 

At least in GT5 one's skill and intuition on the course actually does improve with more time (it's crazy that a SPG has time sinks like that though... ) but in DM it's more like BGs in that the one who spends the most time has the most toys.

S_M_I_T_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Finora

Tester

apwyork wrote:

Is this trend in reducing the dungeon rewards intentional or just careless lack of planning? 

Initially it was about 900 marks to get all the decoration sets for a specific dungeon, now it costs thousands.

Now the research potions cost more and give you less research time?  It was 150 for a week off your research, but now it's 175 for a day.

I won't comment on the other stuff because I didn't ever bother comparing the prices for those, but the dungeon maker research reduction potions have never given a week of time. They've always been from a hour for the cheap one to 1 day for the most expensive one. And it's been 175 for that one at least since AOD released. It is 150 SC for the 7 day one and that one has been that price for a while now.

You can't honestly believe they'd give an equal research reducer from in game means to the one you'd have to pay SC for do you? I was honestly surprised they had them there at all.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Yimway

Loremaster

There was never sufficient reason to run these dungeons...

Old 02-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
apwyork

Loremaster

You must have missed them because I bought 8 potions and used those to knock out 2 of my masters at 90 when they had bonus marks going.

apwyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Kizee

Loremaster

apwyork wrote:

You must have missed them because I bought 8 potions and used those to knock out 2 of my masters at 90 when they had bonus marks going.

Most people who don't have a kazillion alts were mastered out 2 years ago =P

Kizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Finora

Tester

apwyork wrote:

I didn't. They weren't there when I looked during the bonus marks. I looked at the potions during the double event & opted to buy a bunch of the giant boxes instead because the 1 day wasn't worth it to me. Unless they added a different one after the first day or had different things on different servers, they've never had 7 day potions for dungeon marks. Or heck, it could have been a temporary goof on their part, there's certainly been enough of those lately.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Yimway

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

apwyork wrote:

Most people who don't have a kazillion alts were mastered out 2 years ago =P

Actually, those with 20+ alts were mastered out before DM came in as well.

My toon I rolled a week ago is mastered out, and I still saw no compelling reason to run a DM'd zone with him.  Oh thats right, I can't play my character in them..

Old 02-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

My toon I rolled a week ago is mastered out, and I still saw no compelling reason to run a DM'd zone with him.  Oh thats right, I can't play my character in them..

I'm not even mastered out, & I still can't see any reason -- compelling or otherwise -- to run DM zones.

Relevant text bolded, super-sized, & colored for emphasis.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Piestro

Community Relations

apwyork wrote:

Might have some good news for you sometime soon. SMILEY

EverQuest Community Relations Manager

Piestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Vinyard
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

apwyork wrote:

Might have some good news for you sometime soon.

Dungeon maker is being removed? SMILEY

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii

Loremaster

We will beable to play our toons in them and not pokemonz?

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
Delethen
Server: Mistmoore
Guild: Arch of Chaos

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

apwyork wrote:

Please stop utilising developer time that could be better used on a multitude of other things than this corpse of a feature.  Just accept it for what it is and move on.

Delethen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
Elskidor

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

We will beable to play our toons in them and not pokemonz?

I think that is the plan, but I'm not sure if that will help raise its use. I still can't figure out what the feature's use is. Out of Maker and Finder, it would be more useful to find a way to fix Dungeon Finder, but it's been out and broken so long I'm not convinced it would get much more use either.

Elskidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #16
Yimway

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Please stop utilising developer time that could be better used on a multitude of other things than this corpse of a feature.  Just accept it for what it is and move on.

Hey now, DM is highly successful, just as SoE.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
Piestro

Community Relations

[email protected] wrote:

Piestro wrote:

apwyork wrote:

Not every feature is equally valuable for every player. Some people would say the same about housing, some people would say the same about raiding, some people would say the same about tradeskilling. If we stopped working on a feature every time someone said this, there would be no feature we could develop.

EverQuest Community Relations Manager

Piestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
Mary the Prophetess

Loremaster

"Not every feature is equally valuable for every player. Some people would say the same about housing, some people would say the same about raiding, some people would say the same about tradeskilling. If we stopped working on a feature every time someone said this, there would be no feature we could develop."

This ^

I see enormous potential in DM, and I would be quite upset if they removed it.  This is not to say that it couldn't be added to and improved.  But I am also confident those improvements will come.

Mary the Prophetess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
Yimway

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

Not every feature is equally valuable for every player. Some people would say the same about housing, some people would say the same about raiding, some people would say the same about tradeskilling. If we stopped working on a feature every time someone said this, there would be no feature we could develop.

While this may be true, of the 160 accounts in my guild, the number that participate in this feature is extremely low, lower than literally any other aspect of gameplay, including the pretty much defunct battlegrounds.

But hey, we have one guy that is excited about it!  Granted if I opened a poll on who in the guild was 'the most not right in the head', I'm pretty sure the same guy would win it.

YMMV.

And I realize changing the cost of items on the merchant isn't really dev time anyway, but calling this thing successful is a pretty imaginative definition of success.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
Grumble69

Loremaster

This is a consistent theme for SOE--release something that is 50% complete and then make slow tweaks over the months.  The momentum for DM is completely shot.  Lowering the prices on items is nice.  But it's one issue on a really long list of complaints.

Personally I would pull DM, continue developing it, and then bring it back in the fall.  I think folks would be more willing to come back and check out the finished product that way.  Tweaking works when you've got something close to the mark.  But you guys are really off on a lot of design decisions.

Grumble69 is offline   Reply With Quote