EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 05:41 AM   #1
Valphine

Loremaster

Gameplay and the choice of loot. Some players realy need to take a second thought about Need items, had a not so very nice "steal" in chelsith a few days back. For manny month back Ive been farming Chelsith for Armguards of the Elite Yha-lei Shock Troops & Prime Clasp of Sustenance. Atlast Prime Clasp of Sustenance droped! Cant find a better legendary necklace for a paladin then that. Had a 79 Chanter in the group the did a need & of course won it. My point is, some players realy should think before the act. Btw the stats on that necklace +15str + 42 sta +25wis + 25int 125health 125 power 1,079 divine 581 posion 4 defense 4 aggression +2 heal crit +2 spell crit +2 melee crit
Valphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:49 AM   #2
Noaani

Loremaster

Thats actually one of the best non raid dropped necks for a melee spec'd enchanter, and I can think of 2 or 3 other non raid dropped necks that are better for a paladin.

The superior man knows what is right.
The inferior man knows what will sell.

Confucius

Noaani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:51 AM   #3
Valphine

Loremaster

Noaani wrote:
Thats actually one of the best non raid dropped necks for a melee spec'd enchanter, and I can think of 2 or 3 other non raid dropped necks that are better for a paladin.
Becouse of the + 2 melee crit? give me a brake. And the +4 defense & 4 aggression? Every singel stat in the necklace I have use of as a paladin. Ok which ones then? so I know.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
LygerT

Loremaster

while i'd say it obviously benefits a pally the best, it still doesn't mean other classes can't use. you just got beat by the RNG on a /ran 2 roll is all.
LygerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:22 AM   #5
scruffylookin

Loremaster

Honestly, I thought that if you can equip it, and if it's better than the equipment you currently have equipped, then choosing "need" is perfectly appropriate. I don't expect anyone to evaluation whether it would be better for me or them. If they plan on using it, choose "need." If they plan on selling it, use "greed."
Old 10-07-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Valphine

Loremaster

scruffylookin wrote:
Honestly, I thought that if you can equip it, and if it's better than the equipment you currently have equipped, then choosing "need" is perfectly appropriate. I don't expect anyone to evaluation whether it would be better for me or them. If they plan on using it, choose "need." If they plan on selling it, use "greed."
Aye but some items should be reconsider. Like shoulders in maidens can be used by a cleric... poor that tank if he need them...
Old 10-07-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
Valphine

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
while i'd say it obviously benefits a pally the best, it still doesn't mean other classes can't use. you just got beat by the RNG on a /ran 2 roll is all.
Thats not my point, might been an upgrade for him now but I bet he will replace that neck shortly, theres alot other caster items thats better. My point is some should give items another thought before do a need.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:43 AM   #8
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

I have to say that a chanter that can use the INT may well be attracted to the resists. As has been said above, just because YOU think it is a pally item other classes can use too and are perfectly entitled to roll. The only way around your issue is to come up front at the beginning of the group and say that if that item drops you want it. In return you agree not to roll on anything else. You may get agreement to that, you may not. Otherwise its you against the RNG.

Thunderthyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #9
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
scruffylookin wrote:
Aye but some items should be reconsider. Like shoulders in maidens can be used by a cleric... poor that tank if he need them...
Really and truly that mindset only works in guild groups (ie a for the greater good)...in pick ups you can only trust in the RNG.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:49 AM   #10
M0rticia

Loremaster

If there was something you had been looking for in that zone, you should have mentioned to the group, 'Hey everyone, if XYZ item drops, I would really like to have it. It's a huge upgrade for me. Is everyone okay with that?". Granted, some people might NOT be okay with that but at least you would have found out who needed it and who didn't before the group even got started. I tend to agree with everyone else though. Just because YOU think it's a pally item, doesn't mean other classes wouldn't benefit from it. If it was strictly meant for pallies, they would have made it pally only, right? SMILEYI tend to really look at an item when it drops to make SURE it's an upgrade for me before I hit 'need'. It's actually pretty rare for me to 'need' on an item because I look at all stats before hitting that button. If it's not a glaringly obvious upgrade for me, I'll 'greed' it instead and let the luck of the dice decide for me. SMILEY

M0rticia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:02 AM   #11
Valphine

Loremaster

Yes I guess I must blame my self to be not clear about im after in that zone. And of course I dont hand out this guy, mention names and so on.. its still just a item. Will take your coments and reconsider my self in the feature about be clear of certain things, as I contines farming chelsith for those items SMILEY
Old 10-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #12
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

Good luck mate...I'm sure you'll get it next time SMILEY

Old 10-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #13
Noaani

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
Noaani wrote:
Becouse of the + 2 melee crit? give me a brake. And the +4 defense & 4 aggression? Every singel stat in the necklace I have use of as a paladin.Ok which ones then? so I know.

If you are tanking, and need the defensive bonuses, then this is the necklace you want... aITEM -1433729429 870494300SMILEYanak Essence Vial Necklace/a

If you are not tanking, or your healers are able to keep you up without issue, this is the necklace you want... aITEM 717281040 -596555433:Ganak's Torque/a

The notion of getting an item that is have offensive and half defensive and calling it good enough is one of the ways in which bad players come about.

Confucius

Old 10-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
Valphine

Loremaster

Noaani wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Noaani wrote:
Becouse of the + 2 melee crit? give me a brake. And the +4 defense & 4 aggression? Every singel stat in the necklace I have use of as a paladin.Ok which ones then? so I know.

If you are tanking, and need the defensive bonuses, then this is the necklace you want... aITEM -1433729429 870494300SMILEYanak Essence Vial Necklace/a

If you are not tanking, or your healers are able to keep you up without issue, this is the necklace you want... aITEM 717281040 -596555433:Ganak's Torque/a

The notion of getting an item that is have offensive and half defensive and calling it good enough is one of the ways in which bad players come about.

Of course im tanking.. I am a Tank. Yes I am aware of those items, still think Prime Clasp of Sustenance is better, I like the offensive & defensive ststs in it, good for aggro job with offensive stats. Ganak's Torque is good, but its fabled and I didnt comepare with that.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #15
Valphine

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
Good luck mate...I'm sure you'll get it next time SMILEY
Hehe thanks SMILEY
Old 10-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #16
Dreadpatch

Loremaster

Yuck, melee spec'd enchanter FTL... I feel bad for any chanter with those aa lines, they should do some reading. That is a pally item all the way, it's not at all hard to get a necklace with +2 spell crit.

Alendril 90 Troubador 250 AA

Ribatio 90 Mystic 242 AA

Dreadpatch 90 Swashbuckler 171 AA

Delanar 70 Guardian

Blackghost 39 (BG) Assassin
Dreadpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #17
Noaani

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
Ganak's Torque is good, but its fabled and I didnt comepare with that.
So what if its fabled, its still a fairly common drop from an easy heroic zone.

Confucius

Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #18
Valphine

Loremaster

Noaani wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Ganak's Torque is good, but its fabled and I didnt comepare with that.
So what if its fabled, its still a fairly common drop from an easy heroic zone.
Well the topic was Legendary items so I guess I had to stick with that hehe SMILEY Aye Agree its a good one, also common drop.. tho no defensive stats on it thats why I like Prime neckpiece SMILEY Enough of that.. I just think it was a unnecisery Need of that chanter.. thats all. Have a nice day.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #19
Finora

Tester

That item might have been a really good upgrade for the person in question. It happens. Maybe that person hadn't been in that level range for long & didn't have great gear. Could very well be an item that person had been looking for as well. Unless you see the item needed up on the broker later in the day, then you just have to assume the person at least thought they needed that item.

Getting peeved about this is like a scout getting peeved at a mystic rolling on the melee chain chest/legs from Chelsith. The mystic can use them just like the scout and get very good benefit from them. Guild groups or groups with just in game friends are going to be the only places where I'd ever think I'd see someone not rolling on an item that would be a good upgrade for them just so someone else can get it (particularly if the person never mentioned that they were looking for the item at the beginning of the group).

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #20
DragonMaster2385

Loremaster

While I see how the item is certainly better for a pally than an illy, it's very possible that it was an upgrade for him/her. Like another said, the 'greater good' mentality doesn't work with PUGs, so don't expect people to give up an upgrade for you if it is an upgrade for them as well.
DragonMaster2385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #21
Lethe5683

Loremaster

This happend to me twice in maidens, when the fabled gi dropped.  The first time it got stolen by some swashy and the second time a druid needed on it.  At this point I have to set leader only looting on the last two nameds in maidens to keep people from ninja looting or declining something because they think someone else can use it when no one else needs it. 
Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #22
DragonMaster2385

Loremaster

what!? A swash needing on a gi? That's just insane and I would have instantly shouted that in level chat and put the person on my ignore list.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #23
Lethe5683

Loremaster

They wanted it because of the +4 melee crit I guess.  http://www.lootdb.com/eq2/item/1116516438
Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #24
Errolflynn
Server: Befallen
Guild: The Council

Loremaster

The GI is in the top five rated pieces for Swashys, Brigs and Assasins.While I would never take it over a Brawler, I would certainly take it.
Errolflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #25
Yimway

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
Gameplay and the choice of loot. Some players realy need to take a second thought about Need items, had a not so very nice "steal" in chelsith a few days back. For manny month back Ive been farming Chelsith for Armguards of the Elite Yha-lei Shock Troops & Prime Clasp of Sustenance. Atlast Prime Clasp of Sustenance droped! Cant find a better legendary necklace for a paladin then that. Had a 79 Chanter in the group the did a need & of course won it. My point is, some players realy should think before the act. Btw the stats on that necklace +15str + 42 sta +25wis + 25int 125health 125 power 1,079 divine 581 posion 4 defense 4 aggression +2 heal crit +2 spell crit +2 melee crit
And this is exactly why you form guild groups for farming runs.  The gear/masters needed most gets on the players that need it the most in the least amount of time.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #26
Valphine

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
And this is exactly why you form guild groups for farming runs.
Indeed.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #27
DragonMaster2385

Loremaster

oh, I thought the gi was only wearable by Brawlers, which is why I thought it was insane that the swash needed on it.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #28
Errolflynn
Server: Befallen
Guild: The Council

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
oh, I thought the gi was only wearable by Brawlers, which is why I thought it was insane that the swash needed on it.
Nope, anyone can wear it but cloth. Bit of a poke in the eye for Brawlers in my opinion but at least I have it on my Monk. SMILEY
Errolflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #29
interstellarmatter

Loremaster

From the looks of it, the guy did take a second look and decided the he needed it.  To be honest, if I had been him, I would of rolled on it myself. 

In a PUG especially, people are going to roll on upgrades for themselves.  You can't make judgement calls on what they should or shouldn't be rolling on.  Unless it's something obvious, like a Warlock rolling on a plate chest piece.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #30
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

It was probably an upgrade for the enchanter, even if it was a poor choice for an upgrade.  Personally, I try to evaluate the item as a whole to determine if it's good for me.  An item only has so much alotted to it based on quality and item level.  As a Monk or Guardian, rolling on an item with +heal/spell damage/etc. is wasted value on an item, and I'm short changing myself and others in the group by rolling on what would only be an interim upgrade for me.  If you discount the bonuses that would useless for the enchanter and calculate the items value solely based the useful bonuses, the item is effectively several levels lower for the enchanter than it's stated level value.  The enchanter has basically rolled on an interim upgrade as opposed to an upgrade of real value.  Thus is the nature of the PuG.

I'd have Greeded that roll, but I'm superstitious that way.  If I roll Need on an interim upgrade and win, Karma's gonna beat the crap out of me when I roll need on a real upgrade down the line.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote