EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Expansions and Adventure Packs
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-28-2007, 07:50 AM   #1
AmanaThra

General

Hi and apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere but I couldn't find anything specific: A couple of months ago I saw an original boxed version of EQ2 on a shelf at my local EB Games store, going hella cheap. Purchased, installed, and patched (including the latest #35 Neriak update of course) and have been blissfully enjoying EQ2 ever since. Then, today, I saw that my local store had the Echoes of Faydwer box on the shelf (also nice and cheap) so I picked it up. I have a question: Before I go throwing any discs in drives, do I already have the content? (ie: If I simply add my registration key for EoF to my existing account, will all the EoF/KoS/DoF content 'unlock'? Or do I need to actually add new files to my install?) The reason I ask is because:
  • I don't want to insert the new discs if that means it will install over my existing EQ2-base installation, therefore forcing me to  re-download content (patches) I already have
but also
  • I don't want to have to trigger a huge EoF/KoS/DoF download if all that content is in fact sitting on my new EoF discs
..if that makes sense! So in other words, what's the procedure for those of us with a base retail + update (no adv packs or exp's) in terms of adding EoF to the fray? Do I first add the key, then install off the discs? Is it smart enough to realise I already have certain content? Help? With many thanks in advance. ~A~
AmanaThra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
AmanaThra

General

OK sorted it. First I added the key from the EoF box to my account, then I logged in. It began to download a bunch of stuff so I canceled the update. Inserted the EoF disc and sure enough it knew I already had base EQ2 installed, and allowed me only to install content off the discs for EoF, KoS and DoF. Yay! =)
Old 05-28-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Norrsken

Loremaster

You will be downloading the extra content, but in my opinion its better to just download it, because, if you install fromt he disks, you will be downloading updates fof forever anyway, so just add the key to your account and fire up that downloader. SMILEY

Norrsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
spikeki

General

If you can catch the boat on either the nek or thundering Steeps docks and then travel to Butcher Block then you already have Echoes of Faydwer;however,  if you cannot travel there, then yes, you need to install the the Echoes of Faydwer software.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. So just go to the docks and wait for the boat to dock if u can travel on it to butcher block the dont install but if u cant install it.

Happy and safe travels to you both in and out of the game.

And welcome to eq2SMILEY

spikeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
AmanaThra

General

[email protected] wrote:

You will be downloading the extra content, but in my opinion its better to just download it, because, if you install fromt he disks, you will be downloading updates fof forever anyway, so just add the key to your account and fire up that downloader. SMILEY

Bugger. Wish I'd read that before installing off the discs (as yes, even though I just installed EoF/KoS/DoF from the discs, I've now logged in and there are 2+ hours of patches to download, and I'm on ADSL2+). Ahh well. I didn't think that the EoF pack had been out for very long? (And therefore that the patches to update the install CD would be minimal..) When did it come out?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
AmanaThra

General

spikeking wrote:

If you can catch the boat on either the nek or thundering Steeps docks and then travel to Butcher Block then you already have Echoes of Faydwer;however,  if you cannot travel there, then yes, you need to install the the Echoes of Faydwer software.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. So just go to the docks and wait for the boat to dock if u can travel on it to butcher block the dont install but if u cant install it.

Happy and safe travels to you both in and out of the game.

And welcome to eq2SMILEY

Hello spikeking, and thank you for your warm welcome. SMILEY No, I only had the 'base' EQ2 retail install (no adv paks, no exp paks, no EoF, just the latest #35 update) so I could never travel to Butcher Block. My question was more around what content was already on my hard drive, and whether simply adding the EoF key to my account would 'unlock' said content. As it turns out, the installer for EoF knew I already had an up-to-date version of base EQ2, and it elected to only install EoF/KoS/DoF data, which is good. But as per the above, I might as well have just let the launcher patcher do it, as so much that comes on the EoF discs is out of date it would appear. Never mind, all good. But what I've realised is that for someone starting EQ2 afresh, this EoF pack is excellent value given that it contains everything bar the adventure paks. Will be recommending it to all my burnt-out WoW friends, and let-down LOTRO friends, for sure. =)  ~A~ (PS: May I also add that I've only been playing EQ2 for a couple of weeks, but from my experience so far the community in-game is easily the most friendly and helpful I've ever encountered..  yep sure there's still a small % of [Removed for Content] scattered about, but nowhere near as many as a couple of other MMO's I don't need to name..)
Old 05-29-2007, 07:23 AM   #7
Nink

Loremaster

I have always bought the retail version of the expansion. When EoF came out I installed it on the day and still had many hours of patching to do (think it was around 15 hours). The issue I suspect is that SoE has to mass produce and ship the CD several weeks before the launch day, but still continues to make changes and updates, added to that on launch day a lot of people are trying to get the updates.

("You infernal machine! Give me a beverage or give me my money back!")
Nink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
ke'la

Loremaster

Well the reason for the long download is 2 fold first the disks where more then likely "printed" about 2 to 3 weeks befor EoF Launched, and anyone thats been in any beta will tell you, the last 3 weeks of a beta things can change ALOT, and alot of stuff becomes final and is added. On top of that, as you did not have EoF I am willing to bet the patcher did not bother to download Unrest, wich is also a HUGE zone, but is only accessable if you have EoF as it is on Faydwar. That also would add a great deal to your DL time.

ke'la is offline   Reply With Quote