EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Maroger

Loremaster

The new Neriak is an ugly souless place. If you remember the Neriak of EQ1 you will be appalled at how the beauty has been destroyed by the Art Department. Apparently they never looked at the Neriak of EQ1.

I had almost exclusively Dark Elf Characters and spent many months in Neriak. I loved the city and I HATE THE NEW ONE.

All the wonderful little shops are GONE -- where is Maiden's Fancy, Furrier Royal, Adamant Armorer -- all gone  -- replaced by cheap looking outdoor stalls taken from Fallen Gate -- How lazy can art deparment get.

ONe of my favorite stores was the BLIND FISH -- where you could sit and see the underwater scene -- but that gottten taken away.  It was agreat location. I remember guild meetings in the Blind Fish. It was one of the most exotic locations in Neriak and the most fun.

Where is THIRD GATE -- sorry I can't find it.

What happened to the design -- why did you have to replace the Egyptian Look with that cheap Oriental look from Taiwan. The great lighted signs that hung over the water ARE GONE.  The BANK is no longer called THE BURNISHED COIN.

What in heaven's name are oriental Kung FU monks doing outside the Indigo Brotherhood - send them back to Taiwan where they came from.

The whole design looks as if you just ripped out Fallen Dynasty, colored it Purple and called it Neriak.

It would have been better to take the 3D design from EQ1 and just improve some of the existing texture than totally destroy Neriak. YOu have ruined NERIAK and all your gibberish about lore will never change the fact that the city has been destroyed by the Art Department and outsourcing it to Taiwan.

Maroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Tandy

Loremaster

I was a big fan of neriak in eq1 also. The new neriak looks great to me.

There are no monks in neriak....there are however bruisers since every race can be any class in eq2 there has to be trainers there.

I dont think the city looks cheap at all..different for sure but enough of the old neriak is there to make you realize 500 years HAS gone by.

No reason to be nasty about who designed the zones either, the race of the designers has nothing to do with the overall tone of the zones.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Vekkiz
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Gentis Lacerta

Defender

i love Neriak, infact i prefer it over the old version from EQ1, i think that oriental look works well for the Dark Elves
Vekkiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Themaginator

Loremaster

Wow your post seems quite racially charged. ummmm Gosh i dunno it sure feels ALOT like old neriak to me....and most of those stores and locations you mentioned(except Maiden's Fancy) are still there.  Also im sorry but Neriak was never egyptian, its always had an oriental style.  Finally we dont care about your rant on the lore forums this isnt the place for this go away
Themaginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Maroger

Loremaster

Tandy wrote:

I was a big fan of neriak in eq1 also. The new neriak looks great to me.

There are no monks in neriak....there are however bruisers since every race can be any class in eq2 there has to be trainers there.

I dont think the city looks cheap at all..different for sure but enough of the old neriak is there to make you realize 500 years HAS gone by.

No reason to be nasty about who designed the zones either, the race of the designers has nothing to do with the overall tone of the zones.

I think because the design was outsourced to Taiwan, that Neriak lost its Ancient Egyptian Character.

The Neon Signs of eyes were straight from Ancient Egypt - the Eye of Horus and the Sun God ,Aten, in particular.

Also some of the symbols in the doors were directly taken from Egyptian Hieroglyphics. Obvously by outsourcing to Taiwan a group of people with no understanding of the ANcient Egyptian Art used in Neriak simply superimposed cheap oriental rip-offs from the Fallen Dynasty.

They may have had bruisers but they weren't running our in Asian Kung-fu Gear -- what we have now is the dueling monks from Fallen Dynasty slapped down in Neriak without anyeffort to make them look and dress like Dark Elves -- a total rip-off from Fallen Dynasty -- how lazy and sloppy can you get.

They couldn't even be bothered to leave the name of the Bank THE BURNISHED COIN.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
Themaginator

Loremaster

ok but i still dont see how you can say the zone looks bad, my gosh
Old 05-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
Tandy

Loremaster

Realistically can you expect stores to be named the same thing after 500 years? the city vanished from the rest of the world...was locked away and left on its own for a LONG time.  Things change, names change, rules change etc.

The new neriak is enough like the old that you can tell its the same place...just 500 years later.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
Ama

General

Maroger wrote:

The new Neriak is an ugly souless place. If you remember the Neriak of EQ1 you will be appalled at how the beauty has been destroyed by the Art Department. Apparently they never looked at the Neriak of EQ1.

I had almost exclusively Dark Elf Characters and spent many months in Neriak. I loved the city and I HATE THE NEW ONE.

All the wonderful little shops are GONE -- where is Maiden's Fancy, Furrier Royal, Adamant Armorer -- all gone  -- replaced by cheap looking outdoor stalls taken from Fallen Gate -- How lazy can art deparment get.

ONe of my favorite stores was the BLIND FISH -- where you could sit and see the underwater scene -- but that gottten taken away.  It was agreat location. I remember guild meetings in the Blind Fish. It was one of the most exotic locations in Neriak and the most fun.

Where is THIRD GATE -- sorry I can't find it.

What happened to the design -- why did you have to replace the Egyptian Look with that cheap Oriental look from Taiwan. The great lighted signs that hung over the water ARE GONE.  The BANK is no longer called THE BURNISHED COIN.

What in heaven's name are oriental Kung FU monks doing outside the Indigo Brotherhood - send them back to Taiwan where they came from.

The whole design looks as if you just ripped out Fallen Dynasty, colored it Purple and called it Neriak.

It would have been better to take the 3D design from EQ1 and just improve some of the existing texture than totally destroy Neriak. YOu have ruined NERIAK and all your gibberish about lore will never change the fact that the city has been destroyed by the Art Department and outsourcing it to Taiwan.

Wouldn't this be more appropriate in the test area?

Have to say personally I loved the way Neriak looks and it deffinately has a dark sinister feel.  It feels as dark as freeport does yet has a community that is more "abiding" but just slightly. 

There are some places that are gone from the EQOA version that were probably in EQ1 that I would have liked to see.  However some of these things were kept in which is very nice.  The best one is the bridge near the waterfall with the purple fish in it. 

Another thing to remember bud is "The Rending/Great Shattering" occured so i'm betting alot of stuff got destroyed.  I have even seen some ingame lore about why one area isn't exactly working and that I couldn't be told about the plans just yet. 

Old 05-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
shadowscale

Forum Dragon

with all the references to outsourcing to Taiwan. im wondering if this post will get locked. definitly the wrong forms for this though.
shadowscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #10
Cusashorn

Loremaster

First off: NERIAK IS NOT EGYPTIAN IN DESIGN! You keep spouting that Eye of Horus thing, but thats the ONLY THING.

2nd: Things change. Deal with it.

3rd: Yes, this is the wrong forum for this topic.

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
Vollux

Loremaster

It isn't the correct forum but it is here. 

Personally I always felt the closest Human Race to the Dark Elf race/craftsmanship/art was ancient Asia.  Matter of fact if there ever was a live action EQ movie you would have to get the actor that played Shang Tsung from the Mortal Kombat movies throw a white wig on him and paint him blue - you got yourself one evil Dark Elf.

The bank is still called The Burnished Coin and mentions something about coin weighing.  There are two banks in Neriak perhaps you just went to the one for the lower classes? 

Vollux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #12
Iad

Loremaster

I'm not impressed with the new Neriak either.
Iad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #13
Vekkiz

Defender

just no pleasing some people...
Old 05-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #14
Kamimura

Loremaster

Maroger wrote:

The Neon Signs of eyes were straight from Ancient Egypt - the Eye of Horus and the Sun God ,Aten, in particular.

Also some of the symbols in the doors were directly taken from Egyptian Hieroglyphics. Obvously by outsourcing to Taiwan a group of people with no understanding of the ANcient Egyptian Art used in Neriak simply superimposed cheap oriental rip-offs from the Fallen Dynasty.

Erm, sorry, but no. The Eye of Horus.. okay, I can kinda see that one around here in Neriak in EQL. It's still there in EQ2, though. There is no picture of The Aten - anywhere. Oh wait.. here in the tower of the spurned is a sort of spiral.. with some squiggle lines.. that might be him. But, then again.. probably not. I see some suns, but they in no way resemble Egyptian style sun disks. I do see some Celtic style knots around (something like a triquetra here).. and a snake with wings.. which doesn't seem Egyptian, more Aztec really.. or around that area. I see one symbol on a door which could be somewhat consitered a hieroglyph (I am familiar with it from one writing of the name of Nut) - however since it also appears flipped on the same door.. and truly is nothing special, just a line with some points.. yeah, I am not seeing it. You're going to have to show me these doors, because I can not find them anywhere. I'm not seeing the whole Ancient Egyptian theme which went missing. Also.. have you seen the guild hall for The Dead in EQL? You want to tell me that is not Asian? Sure, I wish they had left some of the older well loved spots of Neriak in, but I don't think it's just some cheap rip off or anything like that. The style fits with Neriak.
Kamimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #15
Cusashorn

Loremaster

The entire city of Neriak and NPCs in Darklight Woods all have a western European culture to them. Most of thier voices reflect a light british accent, and when you think about it, the archetecture does too.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #16
Dragowulf
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster

Cusashorn wrote:
The entire city of Neriak and NPCs in Darklight Woods all have a western European culture to them. Most of thier voices reflect a light british accent, and when you think about it, the archetecture does too.
i dont see the western euro culture that you see in neriak.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #17
Themaginator

Loremaster

its funny Neriak is by far one of the most intricate most lively cities and the game and peopel cant still say its crap...i think some play just so they can complain
Old 05-05-2007, 11:45 PM   #18
Maroger

Loremaster

Cusashorn wrote:
Then why did I see a Dark Elf guard in distinctly Ancient Imperial Japanese/CHinese uniform.???
Old 05-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #19
Maroger

Loremaster

Dragowulf2 wrote:
Cusashorn wrote:

I didn't see anything faintly Western European in this Neriak - it was in the old Neriak mixed with Ancient Egyptian -- but this new Neriak is disticntly Asian and NOT NERIAK.

I would rather they have just imported the 3D architesture from EQL and put it in EQ2.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:01 AM   #20
Dragowulf
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster

Maroger wrote:
Dragowulf2 wrote:
Cusashorn wrote:

I didn't see anything faintly Western European in this Neriak - it was in the old Neriak mixed with Ancient Egyptian -- but this new Neriak is disticntly Asian and NOT NERIAK.

I would rather they have just imported the 3D architesture from EQL and put it in EQ2.

Wait...stop for a second.   Where in EQ1 Neriak was there pyramids and Sphinx statues?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #21
Cusashorn

Loremaster

There was nothing egyptian about EQlive's Neriak. That was the Shissar in Luclin.

Just because one neon symbol looks egyptian, you label the entire city's archetecture as egyptian. I dont see any pyramids. Where's the heiroglyphics?

Old 05-06-2007, 12:31 AM   #22
Kamimura

Loremaster

Maroger wrote

Read my last post. Neriak was in no way ancient Egyptian. Okay, except for maybe the eye. Oh yeah, the eye.. it's still there though. Old Neriak had an Asian style building.. much more clearly so than your 'Egyptian' eye. So, there is a history of this style of building in Neriak of EQL. Much more so than the style you are claiming. (And hey, since the Queen liked the Dead, maybe she was a fan of that style.. and now that she is in charge, had more built that way. Who knows. It has been 500 years, after all.)

It is fine if you want to say you do not like the new Neriak, that is your opinion and you are welcome to it. Don't make up random crap to try and justify what you're saying here, though.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #23
RoninSenshi

Loremaster

In EQ1, the Lodge of the Dead had the appearance of a Dojo type structure.

And honestly, elves in themselves are pretty asian in appearance (Sharp Features, for example).

Again, I haven't been able to log in to actually see the new Neriak, and in EQ1 the only Asian like building that I can remember was the building I mentioned, the Lodge of the Dead so.. I just hope they haven't overdone it.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #24
Maroger

Loremaster

ShintouShinai wrote:

And honestly, elves in themselves are pretty asian in appearance (Sharp Features, for example).

Again, I haven't been able to log in to actually see the new Neriak, and in EQ1 the only Asian like building that I can remember was the building I mentioned, the Lodge of the Dead so.. I just hope they haven't overdone it.

Alas they have overdone it. In a lot of cases they just lifted the buildings from the Fallen Dynasty, colored them Purple or Blue and parked them in Neriak. As someone said, it looks like the Fallen Dynasty in a cave.

Also they took the open air stalls that are in Fallen Gate and stuck them in the Underground and other areas of Neriak.

In short this is an update done on the cheap -- colored it blue and purple and called it Neriak. They even stuck the Monks from Fallen Dynasty in the Courtyard of the Indigo Brother hood - how insulting.  They couldn't even give up a new evil race -- just warmed over Fae from EOF with different color wings -- all and all I would rather they hadn't done it.

There is more to lore than creating a background story -- if you miss or mess up the look and feel that backround story is irrelevant. And actually sound like you created it to justify Neriak on the Cheap

Old 05-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #25
Themaginator

Loremaster

Maroger wrote:
ShintouShinai wrote:

Alas they have overdone it. In a lot of cases they just lifted the buildings from the Fallen Dynasty, colored them Purple or Blue and parked them in Neriak. As someone said, it looks like the Fallen Dynasty in a cave.

Also they took the open air stalls that are in Fallen Gate and stuck them in the Underground and other areas of Neriak.

In short this is an update done on the cheap -- colored it blue and purple and called it Neriak. They even stuck the Monks from Fallen Dynasty in the Courtyard of the Indigo Brother hood - how insulting.  They couldn't even give up a new evil race -- just warmed over Fae from EOF with different color wings -- all and all I would rather they hadn't done it.

There is more to lore than creating a background story -- if you miss or mess up the look and feel that backround story is irrelevant. And actually sound like you created it to justify Neriak on the Cheap

DUDE None of the buildings in Neriak are from freakin Fallen dynasty i dare you to find ONE building that is the same building, give me a screenshot! i know you cant do it, all FD had was houses and stuff, and that one Pagoda. these things look NOTHING like FD. and dude those monks existed in EQ1 why are you so horribly insulted by Asian culture. oh and hey there This is not a Zigurat its a Pagoda Wow SO IS THIS!! OMIGOSH Not Asian BUT NOT EGYPTIAN so yes you have been proven wrong, now show me those FD Neriak comparison pics EDIT Yeah btw you cant tell me the pic of EQ2 Neriak has no soul i mean wow that palace is breathtaking
Old 05-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #26
Mirander_1

Loremaster

Frankly, it'd be more appropriate to say they copy/pasted stuff out of Fallen Gate, then just made the buildings look intact.  And really, if they hadn't done that, it would have been, well, stupid, as Fallen Gate was once part of Neriak, and the two places should have a unified visual theme.
Mirander_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #27
Nainitsuj

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
Wow your post seems quite racially charged. ummmm Gosh i dunno it sure feels ALOT like old neriak to me....and most of those stores and locations you mentioned(except Maiden's Fancy) are still there.  Also im sorry but Neriak was never egyptian, its always had an oriental style.  Finally we dont care about your rant on the lore forums this isnt the place for this go away
Uhh.. It's dark ages Castles mixed with Egyptian.  After 6 years of playing nothing but dark elves it's kinda easy to tell that the tiwan art department messed up.
Nainitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #28
Kamimura

Loremaster

Nainitsuj wrote:
Uhh.. It's dark ages Castles mixed with Egyptian.  After 6 years of playing nothing but dark elves it's kinda easy to tell that the tiwan art department messed up.
Dark elf girl in EQL myself.. bigger obsession with ancient Egypt. I'm still waiting for one person to show me how Neriak was ever ancient Egyptian in style. SMILEY
Old 05-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #29
Themaginator

Loremaster

Nainitsuj wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
they didn't mess up anything i don't see how it doesn't look awesome its a mix of the old Neriak with some new flare why does it have to look EXACTLY like the old Neriak. i mean wow how hard is it to please you people...of course yall are the average SoE forum posters so....yeah... no way to please ya, i think more time is spent complaining about the game rather than playing it.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #30
Vekkiz

Defender

Calm... Sashtan.. Calm.. dont let these people get to you, take joy in the new Taiwan design, Frankly i love it