EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > PVP Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 05:02 AM   #1
Darthus

Lord
Darthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 67
Default

Ok. For those of you who have been following the Twinking thread, you'll know it started with me getting killed by Gildorath, when I was level 13, and he was level 12, all severely level locked out, and I couldn't understand why I could barely hurt him. Well, because of what I learned in that thread, and further experiences with level lockers, I stopped playing EQ2 for a while, since I realized I couldn't even play or kill stuff without devoting an inordinate amount of time to level locking myself. I decided tonight to give it another try. I'm on for about 5 minutes, go straight to the commonlands, look for a quest to do. I see one south of the crossroads. I run for a bit from the north docks, am hit from behind and die near instantly. I look up, and it's Gildorath, except now he's level 20, still level locked like crazy and riding a magic carpet. (I'm level 16 now) I was at full health, he killed me in 3 hits. I'm incredibly frustrated by this savage irony that so incredibly shortly after coming back and giving the game another try, I'm killing by an even more powerful version of the person who almost drove me away in the first place. Note that of course I was doing nothing, just running along the plains, 4 levels lower than him, and he KNOWS me from the previous thread, how I'm just trying to figure out the game and am clearly not level locked. So I get frustrated, and come here to make this post. I'm stealthed, standing directly by a guard in the crossroads where I'd rezzed. It takes about 30 seconds before whaddya know, I'm killed again by him while I'm standing right next to the guard. I understand this is largely a whining post, but I'd like to point out a couple key points. 1) This is information to anyone that thinks Gildorath champions avoiding level locking just to kill newbies or modifies the way he acts so as not to scare off new people. He KNEW I was newbie, considering quitting and still killed me, twice in rapid succession. 2) This is the exact sort of situation I was talking about. The main 2 pieces of advice I was given as a new player were to either level lock myself like crazy or avoid Pkers. As a level 16, with Gildorath being a level locked 20, I was essentially the equivalent 10 or so levels below him, and yet he could still kill me, and loot me. This is ridiculous. Also, I was doing everything in my power to avoid PvPers. I never even saw him, I was running full speed, then was dead. Next I was stealthed, next to a guard, and was also killed before I could react. I'm just not sure how I'm intended to play the game at this point. Is the consensus just " Either level lock and twink yourself like crazy or get killed every few minutes while you're questing?" I came back today because I had gone and tried to play Vanguard since there's a new patch out. The PvP system is fun. I got killed by some higher level people, but I killed a few people of my own, and everyone is just kinda killing everyone, but they only loot you if they're within a close level range, and when someone way higher than you kills you, you can at least call out what an idiot they are on shout and then other people will look out for them. Here I felt completely helpless. Who am I going to tell that Gildorath is a newbie ganking level locker? Nobody. Everyone who can kill him already will kill him on sight, since he's from Qeynos, and so he is able to act like this with absolutely no repercussions. In fact, he's rewarded with my gold and faction. EQ2 has successfully made a system where newbie griefing can be crafted artform, you are rewarded for it, and suffer no negative consequences either in the game itself, or in your reputation so you'll be killed more as a result. /rant (expecting the "can I have your stuff" responses forthcoming, though as is evident, I have no stuff to give)
Darthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
Zoranderr
Server: Crushbone

Loremaster
Zoranderr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 12
Default

In your previous thread, you clearly stated that a friend had given you 20 plat so that you could upgrade your gear and be on a level playing field.

Gildorath locking his level (which in no way is unfair whatsoever) and having superior gear is not his fault, especially when by your own self-admission you could have had gear on par with his, yet you chose not to. He should just play the way you expect him to, and not make use of advantages at his disposal? not very sound logic.

If you don't like fighting players that stick to locking there level at a certain tier, than all due respect but you should either do your best to outlevel them using instanced means or whatever is at your disposal (you are not safe anywhere, period), or roll a new toon on a pve server - you seem to want to quest more than you want to engage in pvp, pvp is not fair, nor is it expected to be, and you are going to be killed by superior geared players continously in this game unless you yourself engage in gearing yourself appropriately in order to compete.

I hate to be blunt, and apologise if I come off as rude (rest assured, I don't intend too), but these are cold, hard facts about the nature of EQ2 player vs player.

EQ2 pvp is exceptionally fun, but why take a knife to a gun fight when you had the money to buy the gun? then come and complain when you are outgunned (so to speak), it really is nobodies fault but your own.

Zoranderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
Darthus

Lord
Darthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 67
Default

I don't think I want to quest more than I want to PvP. I do however, want to both quest and PvP more than I want to spend a whole lot of time grinding AA's, camping mobs for loot or crafting hardcore gear. I was given advice again and again to save my 20 plat actually and keep it for a later date. Not to mention, even if I knew what I was doing in terms of gear (which I don't), I get the feeling 20 plat would maybe get me a full set of kickass equipment for my level at 16. I still think Gildorath would have destroyed me, considering he was 4 levels higher than me and in addition to awesome gear also has crazy AA's and has been level locking. So yes, I was beat more handidly than I could have been for not spending my 20 plat on my equipment at level 16. However, I don't think it's fair to ignore the problem I'm raising and just point to my gear and say that's the issue. Let me remind you that the other 99% of newbies who're new a PvP server wouldn't have my 20 plat. But, you're probably right. I think what these past couple weeks have illustrated and what Gildorath has reinforced is that I don't have what it takes for EQ2 PvP. I like MMOs, I like challenge, I love PVP. I don't like this. My point remains, I think I represent a good segment of the PvPer population that is coming the EQ2 servers and having a similar experience. Most of them just aren't as vocal or put as much thought or effort into trying to like it as I did. Before you posted, I actually did reroll a character on a PvE server, not because I love PvE, but I would like to actually be able to PLAY the game. My experience so far on the PvP server has been one of attempting to play Everquest 2 and having a group of people go out of their way to make that impossible for me. I know any PvP server could be characterized as that, but I've played on quite a few and never had such an impossible and frustrating time just attempting to learn and play the game. The sad thing is, I already get the feeling that the PvE server will be a boring experience and I'll be longing for the danger, unpredictability and challenge that PvP brings, and will probably quit once and for all. Unfortunately, while EQ2 is in my opinion probably the best made MMO out to date, it is plagued by a broken and highly exploitable PvP system. To me that is an utter shame. Then again, who am I to come on to the home of a game's PvP server, say that it's horrible and expect to get a good response. I've only fought this long because I can see a good game in here and want so bad for it to be something else. But those who are here are obviously here because they like it, and I should just accept that and move on. Or, maybe a PvE experience will be a good idea. Then I can get all my desire to experience the content of the game out of the way, can learn the ins and outs of equipment, AA's, level locking and crafting in a safe environment, then cmoe back to the PvP server armed with that knowledge and level lock with the best of them. Seems most people who play here started on a PvE server anyways instead of completely fresh like I did.
Darthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
dr4gonUK

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: England
Posts: 211
Default

Try and be a little more objective and accept that its part of the learning curve.

You have jumped into the deep end of eq2 imo. Most people who had played the pve game prior to pvp knew the game inside out already. Thats your competition.

My advice is power level one toon to 70. Even though t7 pvp is just as bad solo in many cases, a lvl 70 toon is an asset. Or if you're keen on pvp try tieing your lvling up to pvp faction. That way you know you will have some nice kit availble as you level up. There are just so many strategies availble if you dont let your emotions cloud your thinking.

Revenge is a dish best served cold SMILEY

dr4gonUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:38 AM   #5
CresentBlade

Guardian
CresentBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 756
Default

Was all fun ganking me when you where running the raid, paybacks a [Removed for Content]SMILEY.
CresentBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Cantilena

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 113
Default

I might have to roll a toon on Nagafen with the express purpose of killing this dooshbag.
__________________
Cantilena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
Xova

Loremaster
Xova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 509
Default

Darthus wrote:
Seems most people who play here started on a PvE server anyways instead of completely fresh like I did.

With all due respect, this is not the case. I came over here from SWG where I played an Entertainer as my main character. I never PvP'ed before coming to EQ2 with friends. My first server was Vox - which is the Exchange server - where twinking yourself out is as easy as whipping out your credit card and buying plat legally through SoE's Station Exchange site. I got ganked as a newbie, running around the lowbie zones and the Commonlands, but I kept at it and ended up with two of the more notorious PvP toons on the server (and was co-leader of probably the most notorious PvP guild there.)

Your problem isn't Gildorath being an uber-twink, or SOE being unfair, or PvP being too hard, or your gear/skills/etc. being not good enough. Your problem is YOU. I'm sorry to be blunt, but that's the reality. Youve discovered that you don't have the mentality to survive the world of EQ2 PvP (for now at least.) Right now it's a twinker's paradise, and in order to survive it one must be willing to either spend time and energy gearing up, or spend time and energy levelling up, or even both as the case may be. If you aren't willing to do that, then you can't expect to be successful against players like Gildorath, because he DID take the time. It's just that simple.

If you (or anyone else) wants the luxury of being able to PvP at your leisure, than play a game like WoW where you can stick to battlegrounds and world PvP is dependant upon the zone you are in. Or play SWG, where PvP is turned on and off with the stroke of a few keys. If you want to PvP in a game where the playing field is levelled by virtue of the how new skills are gained, then stick with Vanguard. If you want unpredictability, danger, challenge, etc., then stick with EQ2 PvP. yes it will be hard. Yes it will take time and effort to be able to compete. And yes, no matter how good you get, there is always going to be someone better/toughet/smarter/sneakier/etc.

You were given a lot of good advice in the previous thread, so here is a bit more. If you want to leisurely enjoy the game at your own pace, that's fine. Take the time to equip yourself in some good treasured gear and adept 1 or app 4 spells/skills throughout the early levels - if nothing else you will need it just to survive the PvE mobs you encounter. Find a guild or a group - this is a group game and there is safety in numbers on a PvP server. Understand that you are going to get ganked, you are going to die, and you are going to lose money and/or items when it happens, and the people who do it to you aren't going to care if you are new to the game or not. To them you are just another target. And on that note, you need to start looking at the enemy team as being just that - targets. It might be all sunshine and daisies and "we all get along" on the PvE servers, but on the PvP server it is US against THEM, and you can't go around having too much sympathy for THEM because chances of them feeling sympathy for YOU are slim. I know that comes across as harsh and blunt and I am sorry to be as such, but to come on here and complain because you got attacked by someone you expected to do the "nice" thing and show you mercy because of your previous thread was a mistake on your part and hopefully you've realized that.

Don't like getting ganked by Gildorath? Then level up, get some friends, and go stomp his [Removed for Content] into the hard dirt of the Commonlands.

Xova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #8
Valdar

Loremaster
Valdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 283
Default

While I agree in part that level locked toons are a problem that needs to be adressed, it seems to me that you aren't mentally prepared for playing on a pvp server. If you are going to survive my advice would be to

- Accept that you will be an easy kill by 90% of the players in at least T2-T4.

- Accept that whoever can kill you, will probably do so.

Furthermore I would recommend that you decide what your strategy will be. Will you level up 1 toon fast, accepting that he will have really bad gear and app4's and won't stand a chance in pvp or will you lock a toon, gear up and join the twink n00bfest in ANT/CL.

Either way, you will die a lot while you gear or level up. Accept it and consider it an investement that will pay off later on, or quit if this doesn't appeal to you. There is no easy route.

Good luck!

Valdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
Eluzay

Lord
Eluzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 432
Default

Darthus wrote:
Ok. For those of you who have been following the Twinking thread, you'll know it started with me getting killed by Gildorath, when I was level 13, and he was level 12, all severely level locked out, and I couldn't understand why I could barely hurt him. Well, because of what I learned in that thread, and further experiences with level lockers, I stopped playing EQ2 for a while, since I realized I couldn't even play or kill stuff without devoting an inordinate amount of time to level locking myself. I decided tonight to give it another try. I'm on for about 5 minutes, go straight to the commonlands, look for a quest to do. I see one south of the crossroads. I run for a bit from the north docks, am hit from behind and die near instantly. I look up, and it's Gildorath, except now he's level 20, still level locked like crazy and riding a magic carpet. (I'm level 16 now) I was at full health, he killed me in 3 hits. I'm incredibly frustrated by this savage irony that so incredibly shortly after coming back and giving the game another try, I'm killing by an even more powerful version of the person who almost drove me away in the first place. Note that of course I was doing nothing, just running along the plains, 4 levels lower than him, and he KNOWS me from the previous thread, how I'm just trying to figure out the game and am clearly not level locked. So I get frustrated, and come here to make this post. I'm stealthed, standing directly by a guard in the crossroads where I'd rezzed. It takes about 30 seconds before whaddya know, I'm killed again by him while I'm standing right next to the guard. I understand this is largely a whining post, but I'd like to point out a couple key points. 1) This is information to anyone that thinks Gildorath champions avoiding level locking just to kill newbies or modifies the way he acts so as not to scare off new people. He KNEW I was newbie, considering quitting and still killed me, twice in rapid succession. 2) This is the exact sort of situation I was talking about. The main 2 pieces of advice I was given as a new player were to either level lock myself like crazy or avoid Pkers. As a level 16, with Gildorath being a level locked 20, I was essentially the equivalent 10 or so levels below him, and yet he could still kill me, and loot me. This is ridiculous. Also, I was doing everything in my power to avoid PvPers. I never even saw him, I was running full speed, then was dead. Next I was stealthed, next to a guard, and was also killed before I could react. I'm just not sure how I'm intended to play the game at this point. Is the consensus just " Either level lock and twink yourself like crazy or get killed every few minutes while you're questing?" I came back today because I had gone and tried to play Vanguard since there's a new patch out. The PvP system is fun. I got killed by some higher level people, but I killed a few people of my own, and everyone is just kinda killing everyone, but they only loot you if they're within a close level range, and when someone way higher than you kills you, you can at least call out what an idiot they are on shout and then other people will look out for them. Here I felt completely helpless. Who am I going to tell that Gildorath is a newbie ganking level locker? Nobody. Everyone who can kill him already will kill him on sight, since he's from Qeynos, and so he is able to act like this with absolutely no repercussions. In fact, he's rewarded with my gold and faction. EQ2 has successfully made a system where newbie griefing can be crafted artform, you are rewarded for it, and suffer no negative consequences either in the game itself, or in your reputation so you'll be killed more as a result. /rant (expecting the "can I have your stuff" responses forthcoming, though as is evident, I have no stuff to give)
as per your origional post i will tell you, you can level past him so fast and easy it does not matter. at low levels you dont have as many class defining abilities (basically one at most, maybe two) so its basically "he who has the biggest stick wins".. you can choose to lock and play with them or you just level by them in a day or two and the laugh at them like everyone else on the server. I have said in guild chat a number of times "awwww cute, little fabled out sk" roflol...
Eluzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Zoranderr
Server: Crushbone

Loremaster
Zoranderr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 12
Default

[email protected] wrote:
Was all fun ganking me when you where running the raid, paybacks a [I cannot control my vocabulary]SMILEY.

And the truth surfaces!!

But, he says he was only questing so it must be the truth, right.....

Classic, just classic rofl.

I have to twink a toon on Nagafen later today, just to see what all the fuss is about (my 20 level locked twink fae swashy with 28 aa's on Venekor is tired of killing noobs). SMILEY

Zoranderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:08 PM   #11
Mutant
Server: Venekor
Guild: Malice
Rank: Pledge of Malice -- 0-1k

Lord
Mutant's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 56
Default

You noobs get it easy now adays, back in my day it took a real man to level in the noob zones.

You would have twinks 8 levels higher than you one-shotting you when classes were really really unbalanced, zoning with immunity on the other side even after they engaged, or zoning and pulling the plug or auto-running link dead, zoning to cities with immunity and not carnage-flagged, evacing in combat, the list goes on and on.

Things are very WoWish compared to a year ago, and a lot of people know what im talking about that might have been leveling or learning that game then. Heres all you need to know. Watch your back, get a group, farm, harvest, craft, twink or be killed. It is a pvp server, there is no easy-mode quest magic happy times, this is raw-dog son.

Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
Darthus

Lord
Darthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 67
Default

Yeah... I'm not sure about that. Gildorath, are you implying Darthus, the level 16 Assassin you killed twice, is an alt of mine? That I have a high level raiding character that I killed you with? If so, you must have me confused with someone else. I just started playing Nagafen in EQ2 less than a month ago, and have been playing casually enough to only be level 16. I'm about as green as they come. You were one of the first people that killed me, when I was level 13, and you might be one of the last, at least for a while. To pretend like you have some "justification" for griefing me (coming back and corpse camping me when I didn't even fight back, I consider griefing) is ridiculous. Or maybe you're saying some random Freeport guy killed you while raiding or something, to which I say, "What does that have to do with me?". But still, I do appreciate everyone else's suggestions. I think what I might do is play the PvE server a little, get my feet wet about the rules, how crafting works etc, do some of the early game content at my own pace. Then, once I feel comfortable with understanding how gear, AA's etc work, and my class, I'll come back and plevel on Nagafen. That way I won't mind missing all the content in the early levels as I fly past it, and since levelling slows down later on, "pleveling" will still probably give me plenty of time to experience the game. At least... that's the plan for now. But again, I do appreciate you guys still trying to be supportive even with all my complaining. Just considering the fact that I'm still here whining means I really do want to play. And to all those saying "It's not like the PvE servers here", with all due respect, no [Removed for Content]. My experience with MMOs hasn't been crafted by PvE servers. I actively seek out games lik Eve and Shadowbane that are full PvP. I abhor restrictions. However, there is a thing such as PvP balance. You can say something like "Well, the fact that he has spent more time than you means he should win". I disagree. That line of logic leads to PvE experience being end all be all. Would it be a fun game is it was nearly impossible to kill someone even 2 levels above you? Would the logic then be "Well you just need to level up." or "Well he spent more time, so it's fair" or maybe "It's a tough world son, deal with it". No, it would be seen as an unbalanced system. That's what I see here when I see an enforced 4 level spread but things which are entirely time dependent that allow you to beat that spread. In any case, that doesn't change what I said above, I just don't like to be characterized as a strict PvE'er just because I don't enjoy EQ2's pvP system.
Darthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #13
Eluzay

Lord
Eluzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 432
Default

Darthus wrote:
Yeah... I'm not sure about that. Gildorath, are you implying Darthus, the level 16 Assassin you killed twice, is an alt of mine? That I have a high level raiding character that I killed you with? If so, you must have me confused with someone else. I just started playing Nagafen in EQ2 less than a month ago, and have been playing casually enough to only be level 16. I'm about as green as they come. You were one of the first people that killed me, when I was level 13, and you might be one of the last, at least for a while. To pretend like you have some "justification" for griefing me (coming back and corpse camping me when I didn't even fight back, I consider griefing) is ridiculous. Or maybe you're saying some random Freeport guy killed you while raiding or something, to which I say, "What does that have to do with me?". But still, I do appreciate everyone else's suggestions. I think what I might do is play the PvE server a little, get my feet wet about the rules, how crafting works etc, do some of the early game content at my own pace. Then, once I feel comfortable with understanding how gear, AA's etc work, and my class, I'll come back and plevel on Nagafen. That way I won't mind missing all the content in the early levels as I fly past it, and since levelling slows down later on, "pleveling" will still probably give me plenty of time to experience the game. At least... that's the plan for now. But again, I do appreciate you guys still trying to be supportive even with all my complaining. Just considering the fact that I'm still here whining means I really do want to play. And to all those saying "It's not like the PvE servers here", with all due respect, no [I cannot control my vocabulary]. My experience with MMOs hasn't been crafted by PvE servers. I actively seek out games lik Eve and Shadowbane that are full PvP. I abhor restrictions. However, there is a thing such as PvP balance. You can say something like "Well, the fact that he has spent more time than you means he should win". I disagree. That line of logic leads to PvE experience being end all be all. Would it be a fun game is it was nearly impossible to kill someone even 2 levels above you? Would the logic then be "Well you just need to level up." or "Well he spent more time, so it's fair" or maybe "It's a tough world son, deal with it". No, it would be seen as an unbalanced system. That's what I see here when I see an enforced 4 level spread but things which are entirely time dependent that allow you to beat that spread. In any case, that doesn't change what I said above, I just don't like to be characterized as a strict PvE'er just because I don't enjoy EQ2's pvP system.
actually if you take all the stat bonus's into account and resists he probably has he probably has about 7 levels on you.
Eluzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #14
Radigazt

Loremaster
Radigazt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 491
Default

Darthus wrote:
Ok. For those of you who have been following the Twinking thread, you'll know it started with me getting killed by Gildorath, when I was level 13, and he was level 12, all severely level locked out, and I couldn't understand why I could barely hurt him. Well, because of what I learned in that thread, and further experiences with level lockers, I stopped playing EQ2 for a while, since I realized I couldn't even play or kill stuff without devoting an inordinate amount of time to level locking myself. I decided tonight to give it another try. I'm on for about 5 minutes, go straight to the commonlands, look for a quest to do. I see one south of the crossroads. I run for a bit from the north docks, am hit from behind and die near instantly. I look up, and it's Gildorath, except now he's level 20, still level locked like crazy and riding a magic carpet. (I'm level 16 now) I was at full health, he killed me in 3 hits. I'm incredibly frustrated by this savage irony that so incredibly shortly after coming back and giving the game another try, I'm killing by an even more powerful version of the person who almost drove me away in the first place. Note that of course I was doing nothing, just running along the plains, 4 levels lower than him, and he KNOWS me from the previous thread, how I'm just trying to figure out the game and am clearly not level locked. So I get frustrated, and come here to make this post. I'm stealthed, standing directly by a guard in the crossroads where I'd rezzed. It takes about 30 seconds before whaddya know, I'm killed again by him while I'm standing right next to the guard. I understand this is largely a whining post, but I'd like to point out a couple key points. 1) This is information to anyone that thinks Gildorath champions avoiding level locking just to kill newbies or modifies the way he acts so as not to scare off new people. He KNEW I was newbie, considering quitting and still killed me, twice in rapid succession. 2) This is the exact sort of situation I was talking about. The main 2 pieces of advice I was given as a new player were to either level lock myself like crazy or avoid Pkers. As a level 16, with Gildorath being a level locked 20, I was essentially the equivalent 10 or so levels below him, and yet he could still kill me, and loot me. This is ridiculous. Also, I was doing everything in my power to avoid PvPers. I never even saw him, I was running full speed, then was dead. Next I was stealthed, next to a guard, and was also killed before I could react. I'm just not sure how I'm intended to play the game at this point. Is the consensus just " Either level lock and twink yourself like crazy or get killed every few minutes while you're questing?" I came back today because I had gone and tried to play Vanguard since there's a new patch out. The PvP system is fun. I got killed by some higher level people, but I killed a few people of my own, and everyone is just kinda killing everyone, but they only loot you if they're within a close level range, and when someone way higher than you kills you, you can at least call out what an idiot they are on shout and then other people will look out for them. Here I felt completely helpless. Who am I going to tell that Gildorath is a newbie ganking level locker? Nobody. Everyone who can kill him already will kill him on sight, since he's from Qeynos, and so he is able to act like this with absolutely no repercussions. In fact, he's rewarded with my gold and faction. EQ2 has successfully made a system where newbie griefing can be crafted artform, you are rewarded for it, and suffer no negative consequences either in the game itself, or in your reputation so you'll be killed more as a result. /rant (expecting the "can I have your stuff" responses forthcoming, though as is evident, I have no stuff to give)

OK, a few tidbits to remember:

1) Tracking, always have your Tracking up and on "PC Only" so that you can know who is around you.  What I often do is use my player search function for anyone in my PvP level range that is in that zone as soon as I enter.  Then I read all the names just to know that if I ever see them, they're not able to kill me.  Most players go /anonymous or /roleplay to avoid showing up on this list, but at least I know those names that do appear on the search.  Then, If I ever see a name pop up on my Tracking that I do not recognize as one of my own, I type their name, for example "/who Gildorath" and get an answer something to the effect "no players found" so then I KNOW it's someone on the other side, even before my track shows whether they're aggro or not.  Using this best of all PvP tools, you should know when there are PK'ers around.  If you are solo and see a bunch (3 or more) names pop onto track at basically the same time ... they're almost certainly grouped together, so if /who one and get "no players found" in your chat window, you can safely assume that all of them are aggro, and that they're tracking you, and that they're coming to kill you, so it's time to get the hell outa there. 

2) Group up.  Solo PvP is hard, you have a LOT more targets that can kill you than you can kill.  If you see a yellow con, he'll kill you most likely, if you see an orange con, he'll kill you most likely, if you see 2 or more blue cons, they'll kill you most likely, if you see 3 or more green cons, they'll kill you most likely.  Realize that the strength in numbers are reversed when you group up.  Heck, you're still in the teens level-wise, you shouldn't even be in CL groups probably, you should be in groups in the Ruins.  But, as tough as solo PvP is, ungeared solo PvP is virtual suicide.  If you want to solo in Treasured gear, you need to play the way Gildorath does--1. only attack blue or green cons when they are solo and/or engaged with PvE mobs, 2. be paranoid, make sure that you know who is in your zone, and if u see a name u don't recognize, run, 3. at all times stay stealthed with your Tracking up on "PC Only" and assume that every group or solo orange con in the zone is looking for you, and think survivability before fighting.  Grouping up solves a lot of your problems, but if you're going to do PvE content while in a PvP zone, make sure you have a See Stealth Totem up and your Tracking up at all times, no exceptions.  Since See Stealth Totems only last 15 minutes at a time, buy a LOT of them, they're cheap.  Since you're on Nagafen, send me a tell to Vexxus or Vexus and I'll make a stack of 50 for you for free ... they're not free, but I'll give you a stack of 50 for free just to help ya out.  SMILEY  That oughta hold you for a good while as long as you just use one when you're out in PvP zones or just as you enter the PvP zone. 

3) Names ... if you're somewhere in Freeport controlled territory, you'll probably see a dozen or so of the same names of people who kill you.  Make a list of them, and when you see them on track, realize they're coming for you ... again.  Gildorath can ALWAYS be found pretty close to a zone line, so every time you zone into a new zone, expect him to pop onto track.  He's got multiple toons locked at different levels so he can take advantage of the people he sees.  If he's on his level 12 Swashy, and he sees you on a level 16 Assassin, he'll probably go next to the zone line (for his personal safety) and camp to his level 20 Ranger.  Then the Ranger logs in with knowledge of you, your level, and approximate location.  When you see that guy (orange con to you) pop onto track, realize he's coming with the express purpose of killing you ... the green con to him.  Put that Gildorath on your list too.  So, Gildarath and Gildorath are the same guy, now, anytime you see any names on track that remotely resemble that, assume it's another of his twinks locked at a level just a few above your own. 

4) Instances.  Do not--repeat DO NOT--try to solo PvE content in a PvP zone, it's suicide.  When you're in trash gear (Treasured), then you're certainly going to be ganked.  If you are going to do solo PvE content (quests, killing mobs, etc.) then either join a group and do it as a group (safety in numbers!) or go into an instance.  PvP'ers can't follow you into an instance, so you'll be safe there. 

5) Make your friend roll an alt to group with you.  He's got at least 6 character slots, surely he can spare one and a few hours to create a character to play with you, even if he deletes it later.  You're a Scout, so have him roll a healer of some sort, you'll be a great duo.   

6) You're getting what you want.  You wanted a mix of PvE and PvP, and that's what you're getting.  Unfortunately, the PvP has been a good ole fashioned butt-whooping.   

7) Next time you're online, as soon as you get online type these things, "/t Vexxus hi" and "/t Vexus hi"and that'll see if I'm online most of the time.  Lemme show you how much fun PvP can be in a good strong group.  Then you may change your mind about this PvP thing, and I can show you how enjoyable this server can be.  SMILEY

Radigazt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #15
CresentBlade

Guardian
CresentBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 756
Default

[email protected] wrote:
I might have to roll a toon on Nagafen with the express purpose of killing this dooshbag.
Lol please what are you gonna do talk me to death, say didnt you get in a slap fight with your shadow? and lose.
CresentBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #16
Eybietie

Custom Avatar
Eybietie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 799
Default

[email protected] wrote:
Lol please what are you gonna do talk me to death, say didnt you get in a slap fight with your shadow? and lose.

that was lame tbh. funny thing : gildorath is a ranger - yet lvl 20. you think he is giving you a hell? wait untill he hits lvl 28 and actually has some ranged styles... ^^ and again - he doesnt own because he is twinked out. he is a froglok. racial bonus SMILEY

eluzay wrote : actually if you take all the stat bonus's into account and resists he probably has he probably has about 7 levels on you and that isnt true either. every lvl has a hard cap ( or a soft cap since there is the dimishing thingy.. ). it is indeed true that it is easier to reach this cap at lower tiers now that there are the dimishing points but gaining *level* can only be achieved through +xy to f.e. slashing/ subjugation etc. and these stat bonies hardly exist at lower tiers.

Eybietie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #17
Norrsken

Loremaster
Norrsken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,450
Default

Meh, gildorath, Im still waiting for you to come up to lvl 27 where we can have a 1 on 1, twink on twink. SMILEY cmmon,  you know you wanna prove you dare to. SMILEY And to the OP, you pretty much have 2 choices really. Get to t4 or get gear. Thats just the facts on nagafen. The twinks roam t2 and 3. Im one of em. I actually ought to make a writeup where to go to get to 30+ in instances to help the fresh blood to get out of the gauntlet.
__________________




Norrsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #18
Darthus

Lord
Darthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 67
Default

I actually ought to make a writeup where to go to get to 30+ in instances to help the fresh blood to get out of the gauntlet.

That would be quite helpful Norrsken. I know I'm sick of interacting with people on the PvP server at this point. =)

Darthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #19
CresentBlade

Guardian
CresentBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 756
Default

Norrsken wrote:
Meh, gildorath, Im still waiting for you to come up to lvl 27 where we can have a 1 on 1, twink on twink. SMILEY cmmon,  you know you wanna prove you dare to. SMILEY And to the OP, you pretty much have 2 choices really. Get to t4 or get gear. Thats just the facts on nagafen. The twinks roam t2 and 3. Im one of em. I actually ought to make a writeup where to go to get to 30+ in instances to help the fresh blood to get out of the gauntlet.

BAh healers are my bane unless I can catch you all off guard and twinked Inqus suck I got crited on the whole time I fought one and you all can DPS pretty good now compared to Templars.SMILEY

I tend to avoid healers and Shadowknights now, healers are just to dam hard to kill and all the shadowknights I have run into just HT.

CresentBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #20
Darthus

Lord
Darthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 67
Default

Radigazt, I just read your post in full, and there is a LOT of good info in there. I think one of the main problems I've had so far is that I'm trying to go this all alone, so I'll definitely look you up when I'm online next time. Maybe I could even *gasp* join a guild. I'm usually a solo PvPer in MMOs that just gets by on my wits and general MMO experience. It looks like that isn't going to happen here, at least for a while.

Thanks again for being a help.

Darthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #21
Kurindor_Mythecnea

Loremaster
Kurindor_Mythecnea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,072
Default

Nah, the biggest mistake you made was A., lacking commitment, and  B., choosing not to cycle your money for the generation of more. I answer Freep questions all the time, if you ever wanted to learn something, I probably would've been down for a pub chat lecture. Lol. Oh well, just goes to show you what initiative and proper lead motivation can get you. All of these people have told you multiple times what T2/3 are about, yet you still choose to opt for the use of the most active zones in such ranges. Again, if you were seeking for these alternative paths to level, I consistently field nub questions whenever I'm on. There are many resources you can utilize in order to isolate which areas you could make use of for progressing in a way where that lime-light will be quite shaded from you, because again and again it somehow seems to me that you don't want to lose yet you don't want to dedicate time. It could take you less than 2 days to get in full T2 MC and work toward the instigation of funds for purchasing any Legendaries available to you. But [Removed for Content]? You just make your commentary and continually possess a lacking of inquiry. Not until someone has hand-fed you advice that you would expect to receive from an honest query (like Radagazt) do you now appear to be piqued toward a means of progression which likely would have suited you from the beginning. TBH, the key to advancement is dedication, and that's all it is -- whether it's your direct dedication on independent comprehension or the pursuance of interpersonal recommendation, that's simply it. ust seems to be your craving a WoW with EQ2's aesthetic. And for one thing, no, suggesting FFA on a MMORPG that was already RVR is ridiculous. When a game develops such high-tier folds of modification, the convolution regarding such can be overwhelming, but what you simply need to maintain familiarity with is the need for accurate, informational intake. You want to move somewhere? Ask the right questions.
__________________
|-| EverQuest Next Principles to Abide by (30) |-| True Ks: 40.2K Ds: 3.6K Ratio:11:1 |-| |-| PvP Briefing 101 (Outdated) |-| 45 Points of Awesome-o for PvP! |-|

Kurindor_Mythecnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #22
Rocksurly

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 26
Default

I find it funny some people calling T2 treasured gear junk.  True most treasured is junk but the best T2 treasured will allmost allways beat MC or Legendary gear for a given slot when you are locked at 17 like i am.
__________________
Poisonivy level 70 Templar

Troops of Doom, GUK



Pyromania level 17 Warden, Cannon Fodder, Nagafen
Rocksurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #23
Kurindor_Mythecnea

Loremaster
Kurindor_Mythecnea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,072
Default

Except when you fight that 20 in Fabled (who doesn't exist..I was the only one near "him&quotSMILEY, things might come into perspective.
__________________
|-| EverQuest Next Principles to Abide by (30) |-| True Ks: 40.2K Ds: 3.6K Ratio:11:1 |-| |-| PvP Briefing 101 (Outdated) |-| 45 Points of Awesome-o for PvP! |-|

Kurindor_Mythecnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:08 AM   #24
HerbertWalker

Loremaster
HerbertWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 396
Default

Since when is being invisible next to a guard a sound defensive tactic?

A whole lot of whining going on here.  I did tons of quests in enemy territory and died a lot.  Got lots of AA.

Did I come here and complain?  No, I loved it.

HerbertWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:22 AM   #25
Darthus

Lord
Darthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 67
Default

Do I care how you felt about getting ganked all the time Herbert, should that affect how I felt? I came here and whined because I wasn't having a fun early game experience. I've heard over and over from people that they acknowledge that the state of PvP right now makes the game difficult and frustrating for new players. Yet more experienced players like you who say, "Like it or get the heck out" are not helpful. If you don't want people to whine or complain when they're not having fun with the game, you'll be able to hang out with you and your small group of "hardcore" PvPers who enjoy taking their lumps before looking around and wondering where all the new blood went. In fact, I'm trying so hard in my limited time to understand this game and stick with it that I listened to the EQ2 daily podcast devoted to PvP on the way home from work today. Know what? They spent 25% of the time lamenting the state of level lockers and the situation it creates for newbies, and another half the show talking about how it sucks that there are no new people coming to the servers, how that means the population is low, and the population being low means that SOE doesn't implement any more features to help PvPers, because they're not the core interest group. They also talked about how hard it is to even form a guild big enough to do anything because everyone gets frustrated or burnt out in the early levels. Here is a link: http://www.eq2daily.com/blog/show-3...le-discussion-1 So before you shoot your mouth off about how I should just suck it up and shut up, think about that. How was I supposed to know stealthing next a guard wouldn't protect me? I don't know anything about this game! I'm getting criticized for "not asking the right questions", but I don't know what those are! In any case, I apologize if my griping is irritating you, but I think there are 2 options for the state of EQ2 PvP at this point: 1) Realize the game is not friendly to newbies in the least, (It's more difficult in the lower levels than the higher ones ironically from what I hear) acknowledge it and address it. 2) Watch as the new player population dwindles to a trickle and servers merge into one as a last ditch attempt to increase the population before it simply becomes a low population experience permanently.
Darthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:44 AM   #26
Zoranderr
Server: Crushbone

Loremaster
Zoranderr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 12
Default

Darthus wrote:
I think there are 2 options for the state of EQ2 PvP at this point: 1) Realize the game is not friendly to newbies in the least, (It's more difficult in the lower levels than the higher ones ironically from what I hear) acknowledge it and address it. 2) Watch as the new player population dwindles to a trickle and servers merge into one as a last ditch attempt to increase the population before it simply becomes a low population experience permanently.

I have to disagree, I believe those of us who are enjoying ourselves will continue to play - you say yourself over and over about how you know next to nothing about the game, then contradict yourself again and again as you attempt to churn out some form of logical reasoning as to why you getting owned, and not being willing to do whats nessesary to do some owning of your own, equates to you speaking for the general communities opinions, because you heard a Podcast....

The state of pvp? I don't believe we were having that discussion, nor do I believe that with your very limited knowledge of the game your in any position to judge it, blanket statements are never good my friend - you should refrain from using them altogether.

The new player population will not trickle, I only started pvp'ing a few months back and I see as many players as I ever did, and always have some fast action whenever I jump on (and it isn't all me owning non-stop, I get rolled quite abit as well, it happens).

Players interested in pvp are not all like you sir, nor are they all like me and I would never be so bold as to assume such, however, those of us willing to dedicate the effort and time into progressing our characters above and beyond at lower tiers have ALOT of fun (whether you consider it preying on undergeared players or not is completely irrelevant, I pay to kill those players in any fashion I deem entertaining and thats the bottom line, my character having nicer gear than yours is inevitable because I was willing to do what was needed to be done to earn the plat to twink my locked 20 - plain and simple).

I believe its called survival of the fittest, and in EQ2 that phrase rings as true as the steel used to run you through.

Again, I really am not trying to be rude, but this is a dead horse that is far beyond beaten in my opinion - some agree, others do not, we should agree to disagree and let it be.

Zoranderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:21 AM   #27
Bozidar

Loremaster
Bozidar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,292
Default

Honestly folks -- the guy posted a thread about twinking and got tons of great advice on what to do.

He ignored it, got ganked some more, and came back to start another thread.

Can't hack it in the game, so he likes to talk about it.

I vote we cut this one loose and send him back to PvE, cuz he don't seem to really want to pvp.

To the OP - since you don't want to actually work on your toon and you probably stink at the game, why not do what Mortal Sin does on Vox (qeynos side).  Just lock at 16th or so and do nothing but raid pvp.  And when a raid comes to respond to you you run.  Wheeeeee!!

Bozidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:33 PM   #28
Darthus

Lord
Darthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 67
Default

Ok, you're right to a certain extent Ashi. There are two things going on here. 1) I'm looking for advice in order to have fun with the game. I've received a decent amount of this, and I appreciate the help. 2) I am trying to give my opinion on the game from what I've seen as a newbie, what I've heard from other players, and drawing from my many years experience with MMOs. 1 is its own issue. I get a decent amount of hate just for asking that, or "just deal with it". Though I will not ignore that I have been given some good advice. I never claimed, "Nobody tells me what I should do whaaa". Whether I choose to implement it or not is my choice right? I am currently in the decision process of whether I want to play this game given the frustration level, the the time commitment etc. I know a lot of you feel like, "We've told you what you can do, go do it or shut up." So on that note, I'll stop posting for general advice in response to getting owned, since I think you're right in saying I've been given quite enough of that. But I've also been trying to mix in number 2. This was probably a mistake for a few different reasons. One is people believe I should only be doing number 1, so when I choose to give my opinion, they're [Removed for Content] off, confused or say "That's not what we were talking about". Another point is, as you mentioned, I'm not experienced with EQ2, so for a lot of people that invalidates my opinion right away. I on the other hand think that I don't have to have a lot of experience with EQ2 PvP to note how enjoyable the newbie game is to me. I also wouldn't have dared to assume that other people felt the way I did until I heard a good amount of people recognizing that the emotion I was having as a new player was relatively common. I listened to the podcast not to be like "I'm an experienced EQ2 player and part of the community tee hee", but just out of interest, and then realized that some of the issues I had brought up multiple times were being echoed in there. To me, that gave some validity to my assessment. However, I realize that my "assessment" is most likely not going to change anything. A very small minority came out in my previous thread and said, "Ya know what, I had that same experience" and agreed. The rest were either highly defensive that I would insult this game that is their hobby of choice, or just shrugged it off that I wasn't experienced enough to make that decision. So, with that, I will realize that people around here aren't interested in having a spirited discussion about the state of the PvP system and its effect on newbies, much less with a newbie himself. I was hoping to create a firebrand with the people around here so the developers would realize this was the case and make it more newbie friendly, thereby increasing the population, but it seems either that's not what people want, or I'm not the one to make that claim. So yeah, I really am not trying to be a troll here, or beat a dead horse for the sake of attention. I'm just a guy who considers himself a long time MMOer giving his opinion based on evidence he's gathered, mixed with asking for advice. I can tell I'm ruffling quite a few feathers though and received quite a few personal attacks (one if right above this post), so I will definitely tone it down.
Darthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #29
CresentBlade

Guardian
CresentBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 756
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Honestly folks -- the guy posted a thread about twinking and got tons of great advice on what to do.

He ignored it, got ganked some more, and came back to start another thread.

Can't hack it in the game, so he likes to talk about it.

I vote we cut this one loose and send him back to PvE, cuz he don't seem to really want to pvp.

To the OP - since you don't want to actually work on your toon and you probably stink at the game, why not do what Mortal Sin does on Vox (qeynos side).  Just lock at 16th or so and do nothing but raid pvp.  And when a raid comes to respond to you you run.  Wheeeeee!!

Awwwww lets keep him! It means I will get new posts about me made weekly, starting to like it! But all kidding aside its a game you win some and lose some get use to it, I die often as well but have learned tactics over time to lessen the amount.
CresentBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:51 PM   #30
Balloonman1

General
Balloonman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2
Default

Well,  If you cant beat them,  Join them SMILEY  Reroll Good and never be ganked by Glid again,  of course you will till be ganked by a group of 27s running through SH when your 19,  but its pvp,  learn not to be a carebear and let people who are better than you not bother you so deeply,  If this dosen't work,  reroll on an RP server.
Balloonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:14 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.