EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-20-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
Smythy

Seer

I heard some where that in the next update (G or L i dont know) ranger Ca's will no longer have to have arrows to use.  First off, is this info true?  And secondly, will the no arrows for ranged Ca's apply to other scout range Ca's?
Smythy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
Gargamel

Loremaster

Yes its all true, you should quit now.

Can I have your stuff?

EQ2 Map -- The most essential eq2 plugin
EQ2LLInks -- Which mobs drop what from where
Advanced Combat Tracker -- The best combat parser and tracker

(NOTE: All of the above are approved and sactioned for use by SoE and do not violate the Terms of Service in any way, so use 'em!) .
Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:24 AM   #3
Smythy

Seer

Gargamel wrote:Yes its all true, you should quit now. Can I have your stuff?Hahaha, my stuff is so [I cannot control my vocabulary] you wouldnt want it.  But that is awesome, if your serious.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:46 AM   #4
Mirander_1

Loremaster

He's serious about the no-arrow thing.  I'm not 100% sure if that applies to all ranged combat art, or just ranger's, but I'd imagine they're for all of them.
Mirander_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:57 AM   #5
Smythy

Seer

Yes! Thats awesome.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:50 AM   #6
Mask

General

*** Spells & Combat Arts ***

General: Spells like Water Spirit that cause you to sink in water will no longer cause falling damage. Ammo will no longer be consumed when using a ranged combat art. Spell Casting time calculations will add/subtract modifiers before multiplying modifiers. Spell reuse will no longer exceed the amount it was prior to zoning or logging out.

can be found here

Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
DngrMou

General

Smythy wrote:
I heard some where that in the next update (G or L i dont know) ranger Ca's will no longer have to have arrows to use.  First off, is this info true?  And secondly, will the no arrows for ranged Ca's apply to other scout range Ca's?

Yes...it's true.  Swashy's still pwn Rangers. 

((I heard the same thing about arrows, and ranged CA's...not sure if it's true though))

DngrMou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
azekah

Loremaster

DngrMouse wrote:
Smythy wrote:

Yes...it's true.  Swashy's still pwn Rangers. 

((I heard the same thing about arrows, and ranged CA's...not sure if it's true though))

And assassins rule all...so there!
azekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
Taolynn

Lord

Whoohoo, that's great! As a Monk I just use the copper shurikens to pull with the combat art that does some damage; this will free up at least 5 spots in my bags Great change!
Taolynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #10
TheMightyTaco

Loremaster

This doesn't smell right. You'll still need arrows, no? You just won't consume them when hitting a button? That doesn't even seem to make sense since they are also increasing the number of arrows crafted in each tradeskill recipe.

SMILEYSMILEYSMILEY

Old 02-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
-AtPlay-

Loremaster

Taolynn wrote:
Whoohoo, that's great! As a Monk I just use the copper shurikens to pull with the combat art that does some damage; this will free up at least 5 spots in my bags Great change!
Why not just get a pouch and put it in your ammo slot?  You shouldnt be using inventory for ammo...no need to.
-AtPlay- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #12
Sinadi

General

TheMightyTaco wrote:

This doesn't smell right. You'll still need arrows, no? You just won't consume them when hitting a button? That doesn't even seem to make sense since they are also increasing the number of arrows crafted in each tradeskill recipe.

SMILEYSMILEYSMILEY

It's just combat arts that won't consume ammo; "auto attack" with a bow will still use arrows as usual. At least that's how it reads to me SMILEY @ the monk who is gonna free up inventory by not getting shurikens-get a container for the ammo slot. No need to have ammo in your regular inventory at all. (I think it's called a sack for throwing weapons)
Sinadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
Ebjelen

Loremaster

You can look these updates up for yourself on the test update notes board. Anyone can look at that board and everyone has a free test account already.

Rangers don't buy a lot of crafted arrows, at least mine didn't. Rangers get a skill to summon lots of arrows. Except for a few of the other scouts, most classes don't have ranged CAs, they just have normal ranged attack. Looks to me like normal ranged attack still uses ammo. Not that there's a lot of ammo for sale on the broker anyway.

With the crafting increase, my gaurdian might actually fill a sack or quiver with ammo.

The only measure of success here is fun.
Ebjelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #14
TheMightyTaco

Loremaster

Ebjelen wrote:

Rangers don't buy a lot of crafted arrows, at least mine didn't. Rangers get a skill to summon lots of arrows. Except for a few of the other scouts, most classes don't have ranged CAs, they just have normal ranged attack. Looks to me like normal ranged attack still uses ammo. Not that there's a lot of ammo for sale on the broker anyway.

None of my characters ever buy arrows from the broker. Perhaps with the crafting changes they might. My guard just needs them to pull. I could care less about damage. And my ranger has lived off of makeshift arrows. I invest in the Adept III or Master I spell when it becomes available and never worry about keeping his quiver filled. Of course, I don't raid or PvP so many people would probably not do it the way I have.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #15
Spyderbite
Server: Venekor
Guild: Dark Vengeance

Loremaster

-AtPlay- wrote:
Why not just get a pouch and put it in your ammo slot?  You shouldnt be using inventory for ammo...no need to.
Wow.. wasn't aware I could do that. Learn something new every day. *runs off to buy an ammo sack for throwing daggers*
Spyderbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #16
UlteriorModem

Lord

Now Im really confused.

I had heard that changes to arrows were comming something about long range low damage, short range high damage.

Now I read that arrows wont be used with combat arts ??

Whens the last time you used your bow WITHOUT using an combat art ?

So... on one hand they increase the incintive to craft, sell, purchase arrows. On the other hand they more or less remove the requirement for arrows.

Someone help me understand this.

UlteriorModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:17 PM   #17
Mareth

Loremaster

UlteriorModem wrote:

Now Im really confused.

I had heard that changes to arrows were comming something about long range low damage, short range high damage.

So... on one hand they increase the incintive to craft, sell, purchase arrows. On the other hand they more or less remove the requirement for arrows.

When you log a ranger.
Mareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #18
Jal

General

Arrow autoattack damage with a decent bow and decent arrows is big.  Thus autoattack will consume arrows.
Jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #19
UlteriorModem

Lord

Mareth wrote:
UlteriorModem wrote:

Now Im really confused.

When you log a ranger.
Points at siggy
UlteriorModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:27 PM   #20
Zakarth

Loremaster

My ranger burns through about 2k+ arrows an hour.  I've never done any parsing or anything, but I'd imagine about 80% of those are combat arts.  It's not that we'll no longer use arrows, it's just that we wont' use them as MUCH.  There will still be a market for them.

With a good bow and arrow fury stance, rangers belong on the back line with auto ranged attack on, firing off their combat arts (slow re-use) when available.  Due do the slow re-use, we'll still be going through a lot of normal ranged attacks and using a lot of arrows.  Can do some serious DPS this way.  I've been out-aggroing my 70 warlock friend on my 56 ranger (WITH my 25% hate reduction buff on me)

Also, they're gonna make it so you can finally see the stats on arrows, so I'm sure a lot more people will be going for the handcrafted stuff after they see how much better it is than the bowyer bought stuff (personally, I've used nothing but Bowyer stuff so far).  ANd yeah, we do have a skill to summon arrows, but 35 fulginate arrows every 15 minutes when you go through 2k+ indium arrows an hour isnt really that great.

At lower levels it's also fun to use my fae monk, which has fae ratial run speed trait, and monk run speed AA, to use shurikens to run around and kite stuff. SMILEY  That kind of stuff will still use ammo as well.

Zakarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #21
Mareth

Loremaster

UlteriorModem wrote:
Mareth wrote:
UlteriorModem wrote:

Now Im really confused.

When you log a ranger.
Points at siggy
If you play a ranger without using ranged auto-attack, you're not doing it quite right SMILEY
Mareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #22
Taolynn

Lord

The reason I don't use a sack is because I use the other thing that enables one stack of ammo, and adds a bajillion stats. I'd rather have the stats! SMILEY
Taolynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #23
Sotaudi

Loremaster

UlteriorModem wrote:

Now Im really confused.

In direct answer to your question:  When you are out of power or when your ranged combat arts are refreshing.

But it is not so much that you don't use you bow without using a combat art, it is that even when you use a combat art, autoattack is engaged and will fire an arrow between CAs.

For instance, when my Assassin solos, he often pulls using one of his two positional ranged attacks, followed by his non-positional ranged attack.  In between, autoattack will usually fire.  Mid-fight, he will often root the target, back up and fire his non-positional ranged attack and, before the root breaks, he will often have time to fire two autoattacks (sometimes 3 if he uses a short bow).

When playing with a Ranger friend of mine, my Assassin will often go into stealth a bit in front of the Ranger.  The Ranger then fires off one of his ranged shots pulling the mob.  As the mob gets close to me, I root it and get distance in the opposite direction.  We then both attack the mob with ranged attacks.  Since I only have three (plus one that is really a melee attack with a 0 - 25m range), I will often go through all my ranged attacks before the root breaks, allowing me to get off a couple of autoattacks as well.  This is especially true if my CAs are on refresh.

So whether or not you use the bow without using a CA is not relevant.  Whether you do or not, you will be using arrows with Autoattack even when you use CAs.

So, to help you understand, all they have done is reduce the number of arrows you will use, not eliminated the need for them.  And it looks like, with the change making some arrows long range/lower damage and others short range/higher damage, they are actually seeking to differentiate the arrows themselves, giving you some additoinal choices for your autoshot damage.

Breven - Froglok - Fury
Voxin - Ratonga - Assassin
Sotaudi is offline   Reply With Quote