EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
Caballera

Loremaster

I was just wondering why my characters move around fine in Kelethin but the minute I go to Queynos my movements are halty and it's hard to turn.   And sometimes I have to hold down "W" for 30 or 40 seconds before my character will move forward only to find that I'm in the moat because my character kept moving?  I know I need to up the RAM but I would think the problem would be consistant throughout the game not just in some areas.  Any ideas? SMILEY
Caballera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
mellowknees72

Loremaster

Some of the Qeynos city zones, particularly Qeynos Harbor, have HORRIBLE lag.  It's actually better now than it used to be.  I suggest turning down your graphics before you zone in. SMILEY

My characters frequently lag right into the harbor in that zone...it's SO annoying!

mellowknees72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
interstellarmatter

Loremaster

Kelethin was designed with over 2 years worth of EQ2 of experience in dealing with lag.  Qeynos is old and full of lag.  I've always enjoyed Freeport more in terms of lag. 

How much RAM do you have? Video Card?   Both would help reduce lag.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
thedu

General

Out door zones always worked better then indoor zones. I classify Kelethin as an out door zone.  If you have already try to turn down your graphics in city zones.
thedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Caballera

Loremaster

Thanks I'll give that a shot and I'm increasing my RAM to 1G this weekend (running on 512 - don't laugh SMILEY)  I'm stuck with the vid card (laptop).  But I've been thinking about moving the game to my desktop....   Anyone know if that's hard to do?

Afterthought: that makes sense about it being an older expansion.  They sure did a fabulous job with all the detail.   

Old 02-16-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
thedu

General

Caballera wrote:
Thanks I'll give that a shot and I'm increasing my RAM to 1G this weekend (running on 512 - don't laugh SMILEY)  I'm stuck with the vid card (laptop).  But I've been thinking about moving the game to my desktop....   Anyone know if that's hard to do?
Shouldn't be too bad. Do a clean install and then if you don't want to upgrade via the internet, then I think you copy all your files over.
thedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Caballera

Loremaster

Cool.  Seems pretty easy.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks
Old 02-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
mellowknees72

Loremaster

Caballera wrote:

Afterthought: that makes sense about it being an older expansion.  They sure did a fabulous job with all the detail.   

Just install the game on your desktop - you don't even have to re-enter your keycodes or anything since those are all tied to your username.

If you want to save yourself from having to recreate all of your UIs, though, make sure you copy over any files with your character names in them from your EQ2 folder.

Your dekstop *will* have to patch, and depending upon your connection speed, it could take a while.

And I can confirm that when you've upgraded to 1G, you'll have much better performance.  My second box runs on 512, and even on the lowest setting, Qeynos Harbor is hideous to navigate.  My main PC has 1 or 2G (I can't remember precisely) and it's much better.  But I still get lag issues in Qeynos Harbor and some of the older indoor zones like Stormhold and Blackburrow (okay, I know, technically it's "outdoors" but it behaves like an indoor zone in terms of lag and issues with mobs in the floor, etc).

mellowknees72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
Spyderbite
Server: Venekor
Guild: Dark Vengeance

Loremaster

interstellarmatter wrote:

I've always enjoyed Freeport more in terms of lag. 

Couldn't agree more. All of my characters except one which I started in Queynos so I could be a part of the Gamer Powered Network were birthed in Freeport. Lag free and happy. But, when I load my Q character for GPN events or contests.. lag... SMILEY
Spyderbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
Sotaudi

Loremaster

Caballera wrote:
I was just wondering why my characters move around fine in Kelethin but the minute I go to Queynos my movements are halty and it's hard to turn.   And sometimes I have to hold down "W" for 30 or 40 seconds before my character will move forward only to find that I'm in the moat because my character kept moving?  I know I need to up the RAM but I would think the problem would be consistant throughout the game not just in some areas.  Any ideas? SMILEY

One thing you can do to help is to just wait a few moments after zoning in before you try to move.  The lag comes from having to load the objects in range.  When you first zone in, none of the objects are loaded.  If you stay where you are for a few moments (wait for the hard drive to stop thrashing, i.e., blinking very rapidly indicating it is still loading more objects), then start moving, the system only has to download new objects moving into range and unload objects moving out of range.  If you start moving as soon as you zone in, it has to keep recalculating what is in range, unload objects it has already loaded that have moved out of range and queue new objects to load that are now in range.  Since all this is going on faster than it is loading objects, you only make it harder on the system if you start moving too soon.

The more RAM you have, the less it has to rely on swapping data out of RAM to disk, and the faster things will progress.  But regardless, give the system a chance to get things loaded before you start changing what is in range by moving around.

Breven - Froglok - Fury
Voxin - Ratonga - Assassin
Sotaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
interstellarmatter

Loremaster

Caballera wrote:

I started off playing with 512 MB RAM and 128 MB Video card.  I first upgraded to 1 GB and it made a world of difference.  Some time later, I upgraded my video card to 256 MB one and almost cried at the new details.  2 weeks ago, I upgraded to 2 GB RAM and it runs like a dream now.  But the greatest increase in performance came from 512 to 1 GB of RAM.  512 just barely enables it to run.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
Brigh

Loremaster

2 GB RAM here and I can run through QH ok with balanced.

My CPU though is not one you would normally find in your Dell, Emachine/Gateway store bought computers:

Operton 146 with 1MB cache.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:55 PM   #13
FaileE

General

Hm, no idea why everybody is saying to reinstall EQ2.

EQ2 does not need to be reinstalled, you can just copy over the gamefolder to the desktop and create a manual shortcut to EQ2.exe (or everquest2.exe, can't remember which one of these starts the launchpad, it's the smaller one of the two). This way you don't have to redownload all updates and expansions again. Only thing it will download is the launchpad since for some reason it does that every time I move the folder to another PC, but that is a few mins at best and not hours like it would be if you'd reinstall and redownload. You won'T loose UI settings and mods this way either.

I actually keep a backup of the folder on 2 DVD-Rs just in case SMILEY

FaileE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:25 PM   #14
Caliga

Loremaster

Qeynos is the God-King of lag.  Instead of buying a new computer I just turn down rendering distance in Qeynos.  I know thats not as fun as spending lots of money on upgrades but it works for me.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #15
Veet
Server: Unrest
Guild: Tunares Gift

Loremaster

Caballera wrote:

That will help tremendously. I found Qeynos to be just excruciating with less than 1gig
Old 02-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #16
Ardnahoy

Loremaster

A friend of mine recently came into some $$$ and went out and purchased the most badass computer that money can buy. Top of the line components, CPU, memory, 4 GB of 800 MHz RAM, dual video cards, physics card, everything. Total cost was over $4500. The computer is a screamer, running most of EQ2 at full graphics with no problems.

Until he zones into Qeynos Harbor.

Even with the best computer money can buy, he still gets a little bit of lag in QH. I realize that the game was created for hardware that hadn't yet been invented, but after 2 years you'd think that hardware would have caught up. QH is a small zone, so there really shouldn't be so much lag.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:16 PM   #17
Caballera

Loremaster

Just wanted to update everyone - I moved from laptop to desktop - and WOW! it's like falling in love all over again.  It's a completely new game.  I just adored the game even on my under-powered laptop but now I'm truly loving the game.  Next stop Qeynos........SMILEY
Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #18
FightGame

Loremaster

One thing that some have said helps with their load times, is to delete or remove the log files from the logs folder (within eq2).  Not sure if this will help with lag in QH, but it's worth a try.  If you have logs turned on, it saves information on just about everything you do in the game, and these files get very large over time.  When the game starts up, and during game play, alot of the folders within the eq2 folder need to be opened, and the larger these are, the longer it takes - even more so on a computer that is just plain slow, or has slower hard drives.  Everything within the "logs" folder can be deleted, or you can move it to a folder outside of the sony/eq2 folders.  And no need to worry if you delete the wrong thing, since the game checks for this and will download any missing files.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:41 AM   #19
rickj1975

Loremaster

I was having the same problem with lag in quenos harbor and i was running 1GB of ram with 512mb video card i recomend at least 2 gigs of ram eq2 eats up alot of ram since i upgraded with 2GB of ram and the 512mb video card i have no more lag in quenos harbor and you can easily copy your eq2 game files from your old computer to the other without having to reinstall the game and have all your ui's just copy the entire sony folder and move it to the new computer and then just find the launcher icon for the game and your all set
rickj1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #20
ChildofHate

Loremaster

if you will notice, the zones you are mentioning that have a lot of lag, also have water.  Drop your water effects down to minimal.  that should also help in zones like QH and EFP.
ChildofHate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #21
UlteriorModem

Lord

One thing ... well two actually Ive found that helps is to go into first persion view and turn nametags off.

UlteriorModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #22
Gorpier

Loremaster

Kulssin wrote:
interstellarmatter wrote:

I've always enjoyed Freeport more in terms of lag. 

Couldn't agree more. All of my characters except one which I started in Queynos so I could be a part of the Gamer Powered Network were birthed in Freeport. Lag free and happy. But, when I load my Q character for GPN events or contests.. lag... SMILEY
No intention of derailing this thread.  But I do have a newb question...what is a gamer powered network or GPN event?   Also, I had this problem running on 512 ram.  if you are upgrading to 1g I believe you will be happy.  Upgrading to that ram eliminated most of my lag problems in Qeynos zones including Qeynos Harbor.  Although the clean install did help marginally for me also.