EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Priest's Sanctum > Mystic
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-03-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
bou

Im a lvl 27 mystic and was wondering how the rest of you deals with mobs that use dots and magic as their main type of attack since this surpasses our main defense, wards? My normal rutine concists of double wards before pull, debuffs, then reapply ward and/or heal if needed, dots. Rinse and repeat as needed.I feel like I have no chance to fight like this against a mob that uses magic because I have no time. I have to chaincast heals/cures about 10 seconds into the fight or the tank will die from the dots. When the mob decides to mix it up with AoE dots and damage im usually in deep trouble because of the amount of interrupts this gives me.This doesn't apply to all magic users but some really seem to like to go heavy on the dots and AoE damage/dot spells. I have had tanks with 4 different types of dots on the at the same time, 1-3 of each kind. That adds up to some serious tic damage. I always try to cure dots as soon as I can but some mobs reapply them almost instantly which again forces me to chaincast cures and heals.Please don't compare mystics to the other classes and start listing how wards suck in this thread. What I would like to know is with what the mystics have right now, how do I fight/heal most effectivly in this situation.My current spells are:Wards, adept3Healing ritual, adept 1Noxious cure, app 3Dots and debuffs, adept 1 or app 3
bou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:38 PM   #2
Gnome mercy

Loremaster

To be honest you can't really deal with dots...tho keep at least 1 small ward up cause nukes wont go past ward...or at least they dont go past mine...but I've heard that goes 2 different ways. But yeah the casters that chain nuke and dot and debuff...I'm not exactly sure how to deal with them...I would try to take them down as quickly as possible and as for those AE's keep a group heal ready and handy = p
Gnome mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
bou

Problem is most times when I try my group heals/wards and I have a dot on me from a AoE dot I get interrupted from the long cast time. What I would like to have is a group cure all dots SMILEY
bou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
Melamp

when fighting a caster mob you still want to ward the Tank....all mobs melee...casters just melee less. You won't have to chain ward though.

if you're grinding in an area with alot of mobs you'll want your tatics different..

Use spiritual Heal, since it has nox resist buff

watch to see what the mob is casting, if it is just like a slowing dot or a dot that isn't doing much damage per tick then I usually let it go.

If it is a really high damage per tick dot then you're want to use your totemic aid type heal that cures nox as well

also use your nox cure spell on the grp members, usually starting with casters since they have lowest health
Its a 5 sec recast so you probably won't get all grp members cured before dot wears off but it's a good start

Melamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:22 AM   #5
Mady

I have had good luck using Spiritist's Salve and Breath of Spirits...yes, they are long casting but I can usually get them off.
Mady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:26 AM   #6
Mystiq

General

I too have struggled with how to handle magic using mobs in the past. Runnyeye was most vexing....those evil eyes are great exp, and die quick, that is if they don't fear/charm your tank who then dies 3 seconds later due to the bug. But I digress...

The simple answer here is really just to kill these mobs as fast as possible. Slow and debuff if you want, or use your power to nuke and dot that sucker dead, and tell the rest of the group to go all out as well. There isn't really much of a special tactic that shamans can do with their spells because we can't drain power or debuff magic users where it hurts. I think giving shamans either a stun, some sort of power drain or a debuff against int and wis would help us battle magic users a little better.

Chain curing isn't such a bad idea really. I am an adamant fan of cures as this is pretty much the only path of recourse against magic using mobs. Cures cost a lot less power than a good heal or ward, though if what you are curing is noxious, you definately want to use our line of heals + noxious cures (Totemic Aid, Spritual Replenishment, Rejuvenating Chant) if the tank is also low on hp. I would seriously consider upgrading these heals + cures to at the very least app 3, if not adept 1 if it drops or adept 3, as they should not be overlooked as a regular heal.

As a couple of more general ways to improve your experience against magic using mobs, may I suggest grouping with bards more. Dirges and Troubs both have power draining skills. Mage archetypes can also drain I believe, and I think they have debuffs that are more effective on magic using mobs.

Regards,

Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:09 AM   #7
cas

well one tactic that I use..

If I know ahead of time that  im going somewere that mobs cast XXX then I would bring a respectable class along that buffs resistance to XXX..  granted you will not always find that but its nice to have them..  Also if its a casting mob I usually dont ward the slow makes him pretty crummy in meelee..  I then just chain heal / cure / healcure / heal / cure and the like as needed..  chanter classes drain power as well.. and can possibly mez to stop the fight for a sec if needed...
cas is offline   Reply With Quote