EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > Station Cash
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
BabyAngel

Loremaster

I had to download the streaming launcher as I couldn't find a downlaod for the regular one

(IF THERE IS ONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW! THE STREAMING ONE COST ME A FORTUNE TO RUN IN DATA USEAGE)

anyway I saw this posted everywhere today in 1 - 9 chat, that new dark elf armor just doesn't show up on the streaming one, bug reports to CS say do a full scan under preferences on the login however they obviously don't use the new station streaming launcher as there is not such thing as preferences on the login.

Any reason why its not showing up on the streaming launcher?

Edit: I am talking about the new dark elf armor.

BabyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
TSR-JamisonW

Customer Service

I don't know if this has something that's been fixed since you posted this, but I logged into the streaming client and found the Dark Elf Heritage Armor Set on the Marketplace.

The streaming client really shouldn't have any impact on data usage.  If anything, it should help, since if you have data caps you won't gobble up the whole thing downloading the entire game at once, making you have to wait the month or whatever until it resets.  If you wanted, you can log into the client, but not go into the game, and it will download the whole thing.  Once it's done, and you've got it all on your hard drive, it's basically acting just like every other patcher ever did.

TSR-JamisonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
BabyAngel

Loremaster

TSR-JamisonW wrote:

I don't know if this has something that's been fixed since you posted this, but I logged into the streaming client and found the Dark Elf Heritage Armor Set on the Marketplace.

The streaming client really shouldn't have any impact on data usage.  If anything, it should help, since if you have data caps you won't gobble up the whole thing downloading the entire game at once, making you have to wait the month or whatever until it resets.  If you wanted, you can log into the client, but not go into the game, and it will download the whole thing.  Once it's done, and you've got it all on your hard drive, it's basically acting just like every other patcher ever did.

The dark elf set is still missing, I'm not the only one with this issue, it only seems to be that one set every other one is fine... One of the people who posted a ticket was told to do a "full scan" but no idea what that is or how to implement it on the streaming client.

As for it being less data useage. Everytime I zone, even if I am already in the zone it starts downloading something. In New Zealand and a few other international countries you have to pay per gb of data you download or you are at a capped allowed useage. The streaming client pushed my download up (through small segments), playing for 1 weeks would cost more than a timecard costs. My normal client is at 200mb a day.

No matter how many times I zone the dinosaur jumps up and started walking in the corner with at least a 20mb download, the full client in these instances would be cheaper to run for us... It maybe faster for people in the US, but internationally its just horrible. It seems people outside the US on different data speeds and plans were not thought of during the process of its creation.

In fact I will go and get a screen shot of the graph of data useage from my ISP

See the problem?

There needs to be another option, every gb is 1.50nzd, usign the streaming client it was costing me with my other basic browsing 4.50 a day. OUCH. The other client was a "setup cost" and that was it, took me 3 days to download and I have never had to pay again apart from usual patches.

Why world of Warcraft does REALLY well in this country is because the patches are released on NZ servers or in magazines every month, cost is down, and those on data caps don't have problems. For instance my internet is capped in at 15gb, (Including a 30 dollar cost for the actual plan) 55nzd a month. in 5 days I would have drained my cap on the streaming client if I didn't check, the ISP's recommend against streaming video also, and streaming anything actually...

EQ2 will never do well in an international market place if the customer base is shafted like this, its just not sustainable for the players. It just so happens these countries are also where free-to-play games are most popular because credit cards aren't exactly given out like candy due to laws and time-cards are not readily available, if I want a 30day timecard I have to pay 44NZD, I am lucky enough to have people in server pay for my timecards.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
TSR-JamisonW

Customer Service

I'm logged in through the Streaming right now, and see the Dark Elf Heritage Armor Crate in the Equipment tab, second one up from the bottom.  Can you confirm that it's not there?The confusing thing about what you report is that that's not the way it's supposed to work.  When you log into the patcher, does it say "Enter Game" beneath the Play button, or does it show that it's downloading things?  Here at work, my folder from the Streaming client is 23.3GB fully downloaded.  What's your folder size?

At home, unless I'm running two instances of the game, I rarely see the little dinosaur, and if I do, it's for something tiny.  The second instance seems to act like it's going to a brand new folder, even though it's not, which is something I haven't had the time to investigate fully yet.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

TSR-JamisonW wrote:

I'm logged in through the Streaming right now, and see the Dark Elf Heritage Armor Crate in the Equipment tab, second one up from the bottom.  Can you confirm that it's not there?The confusing thing about what you report is that that's not the way it's supposed to work.  When you log into the patcher, does it say "Enter Game" beneath the Play button, or does it show that it's downloading things?  Here at work, my folder from the Streaming client is 23.3GB fully downloaded.  What's your folder size?

At home, unless I'm running two instances of the game, I rarely see the little dinosaur, and if I do, it's for something tiny.  The second instance seems to act like it's going to a brand new folder, even though it's not, which is something I haven't had the time to investigate fully yet.

The only time it should be constantly downloading more is if you're running two instances from the same folder. The streaming launcher does not support that because the way the assets are stored uses a database that is locked by the first instance running. The second cannot access it and thus has to download everything again. If you want to use 2 copies of the game from the streaming launcher you just need to make a copy of it to a different folder and run the second copy from there (I do that with zero problems). Since you can copy the data, you won't have to download it all again.

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
TSR-JamisonW

Customer Service

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

TSR-JamisonW wrote:

The only time it should be constantly downloading more is if you're running two instances from the same folder. The streaming launcher does not support that because the way the assets are stored uses a database that is locked by the first instance running. The second cannot access it and thus has to download everything again. If you want to use 2 copies of the game from the streaming launcher you just need to make a copy of it to a different folder and run the second copy from there (I do that with zero problems). Since you can copy the data, you won't have to download it all again.

Thanks, Barx!  Fantastic to know!

Old 08-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
awny

General

for me and others, its not the item on the marketplace, its once you purchase the item it shows up on your character as naked.

I bought the new citizen armor and cannot use it because it looks like im wearing the white rags.  I see other players in the white rags and its either the elf armor or the citizen armor.

I also use the streaming client and do not have the option to 'full file scan'.

awny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
TSR-JamisonW

Customer Service

awnya2 wrote:

for me and others, its not the item on the marketplace, its once you purchase the item it shows up on your character as naked.

I bought the new citizen armor and cannot use it because it looks like im wearing the white rags.  I see other players in the white rags and its either the elf armor or the citizen armor.

Now I hadn't heard that.  Are you using Shader 3.0 by chance?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
awny

General

TSR-JamisonW wrote:

awnya2 wrote:

No... shader 1

I cannot run 3 very well on my machine for some reason... my graphics card is nvidia 8500 gt and the fps is really low when i do 

Old 08-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
TSR-JamisonW

Customer Service

awnya2 wrote:

TSR-JamisonW wrote:

awnya2 wrote:

No... shader 1

I cannot run 3 very well on my machine for some reason... my graphics card is nvidia 8500 gt and the fps is really low when i do 

I expect I'd have heard if it's a bug, but if you like I can log in and see what that armor set looks like from here.  I'm off in a few minutes, but if you want me to, just PM me and leave him in that armor when you log out tonight.  I get in at 7 Pacific and will try in the morning.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
awny

General

TSR-JamisonW wrote:

awnya2 wrote:

TSR-JamisonW wrote:

awnya2 wrote:

No... shader 1

I expect I'd have heard if it's a bug, but if you like I can log in and see what that armor set looks like from here.  I'm off in a few minutes, but if you want me to, just PM me and leave him in that armor when you log out tonight.  I get in at 7 Pacific and will try in the morning.

Done

and thank you

Old 08-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
TSR-JamisonW

Customer Service

If anyone here gets what awnya2 is describing, can you open up your dxdiag utility, click to the Display tab, and tell me what the name of the device is.  If you know what video card you have, just tell me.

For Windows 95/98/2000/XP:

1. Run DXDIAG.EXE from your Start menu (click Start, Run..., then type "dxdiag" and hit Enter)

For Windows Vista/7:

1. Run DXDIAG.EXE from your Start menu (the search bar at the bottom of the Start menu)

Old 08-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
BabyAngel

Loremaster

To person above, I am not running two instances of EQ2 on same computer, my TV is its own computer, my office computer is here.

The streaming client is always download, every zone in at about 20mb, doesn't take long but with the amount of zoning I do it totals up FAST.

Is there anyway to get the standard client and not the streaming client? As that would save me money with the current problems I have,

----

My graphics card on the streaming launcher is a Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS on the TV's pc.

Here on my laptop where everythign works 100% fine, not on a streaming launcher its a Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS