EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Fan Faire 2011, SOE Live! 2012-2013
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Ashlanne

Project Manager

DATES FOR THE 2012 FAN FAIRE!

It’s never too early to plan for Fan Faire 2012!  We are pleased to announce that we will return to Bally’s in Las Vegas once more, in order to keep costs down and provide a location central to all airlines. We’d like your help with picking the dates! There are three openings next year, in the fall.  The poll will remain open until 10am, August 19th  2011.

Ashlanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Ashlanne

Project Manager

That's better SMILEY

I am not sure why it locked itself.

Thanks for all of the Private Messages letting me know folks.

Vote away!

Ashlanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Calthine

SOE Community Council

WTB a "Can't make any of those dates no matter what, even if I got a free trip" option.  /pout  School starts mid- to late- August.

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Wildeone

The Quiet Type

Calthine wrote:

WTB a "Can't make any of those dates no matter what, even if I got a free trip" option.  /pout  School starts mid- to late- August.

Yeah...

I was actually going to go next year, too.. lol

For future reference, you may all plot Fan Faire around this.

Wildeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Horra

Happy Camper

That is a concern for the gamers that have kids. Its alot easier to leave kids behind with family members if we don't have to burdon those same family members with getting our kids to school as well as watching them while we play.

Horra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
tearsin

The Quiet Type

course, on the flip side of that issue with kids... those of us who are going anyways might be able to go outside without dying of heat stroke =P

tearsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Calthine

SOE Community Council

Horra wrote:

That is a concern for the gamers that have kids. Its alot easier to leave kids behind with family members if we don't have to burdon those same family members with getting our kids to school as well as watching them while we play.

*nod* the family members I abandon my children with are actually in another city.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
jaqlyn

The Quiet Type

Wildeone wrote:

Calthine wrote:

Yeah...

I was actually going to go next year, too.. lol

Same here.

/wonders if anyone took the school year into account while planning the dates.

It is hard enough to find someone to take your kids for you so you can go party in Vegas during the summer, let alone find someone willing to shuttle them back and forth to school and activites while Mommy and Daddy party in Vegas. 

jaqlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Roth

The Quiet Type

It would be nice if the Fan Faire was ON THE EAST COAST FOR A CHANGE!!!!!

If Tampa is good enough for the Republican 2012 Convention, it darn well ought to be good enough for a Fan Faire.  Orlando was not that bad, 10 years ago or whenever it was there.

Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
Iakhovas

The Quiet Type

I voted for the October date, but the simple fact of the matter is that my wife and I will likely not be able to attend unless a date is chosen in the summertime. Setting Fan Faire during the school year is just too large a hurdle to overcome.

Iakhovas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
dissident

The Quiet Type

Sadly I won't be able to make it either during these dates.

dissident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #12
Sav

Go October! I had to pull many favors to get the weekend off during my busy season.  

Sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Trageon

The Quiet Type

These dates... what the heck so late in the year...

Trageon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
Nanarie

The Quiet Type

This leaves me and Trueflight out for the year too. We have children in school and it's hard enough to find a babysitter when they're on school vacation.

Nanarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #15
Graytis

The Quiet Type

Pool party still in effect?

I also agree with others here regarding kids/school.  I guess the October choice is best for me--at least that gives the kids a couple months to settle into the school routine first, instead of monkeyhumping their brand-new schedule before it has a chance to normalize.

Graytis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #16
Mezimer

The Quiet Type

These dates are all horrible for those of us in college that can't get away mid-semester. I find it hard to believe that all the weekends in July/August are already booked for conventions.

Mezimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #17
goober12

Really so late in the year!!?? I have gone for the past 5 years and loved it and now I will not be able to go because of school.  Why not have it in the summer again.  SOE you make me sad!!

goober12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #18
Chron

Okay SoE, seriously move the dates back to summer. By keeping them nearly a year and half after the last fanfaire you're destroying it and will get a very, very small turn out. I don't care what business you're in but trying to get time off from work that late in the season that close to xmas, not happening for many people. Plus there are the families with kids to consider and the univeristy/college students who will either just be starting the semester or right in the midel of mid-terms or finals. Did you even think out these dates at all? I'm not voting on any of the dates simply to protest that none of them are going to work and ultimately will destroy fanfaire for this coming year. And if my post is any isn't any indication of how bad a turn it'll be just looka t how many post there are before mine in such a short time this has been posted that have said they can't attend on these dates but were looking forward to going next year. This last fanfaire was the first time I'd been I'd like to go again, but with these dates it's very likely not going to be possible.

Seriously, change the dates. It shouldn't be any later than August ot any earlier than June. That accomodates families with kids, students in university/college and it's easier to get time off in summer for people who, you know have to work to pay for our subscriptions.

Chron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #19
Trueflight_Silverwing

The Quiet Type

Sadly, none of the above.  Having FF outside of summer vacation ruins any chances of parents being able to make it.  The kids can't miss a week of school just os we can go to a convention.  October is completly out as Zan can't take time off work then anyway.

Unless the options for dates change, Zanadi and I wont be able to attend next year at all.  by the sound of it, neither will a lot of other people.

Trueflight_Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #20
MasterCosmo

SOE Community Council

None of the above :/
MasterCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #21
Miss_Jackie

The Quiet Type

Oh c'mon already!

Las Vegas AGAIN?!

Sony, don't you listen to us? We want an East Coast Fan Faire!

Miss_Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #22
Inzilbeth

The Quiet Type

another terrible soe decision.

Inzilbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #23
Darkmystres

Happy Camper

Guys,

Not everytime or everyone can please everyone else.  SOE has given us 3 date sets to pick from.  Thats it.  Pick which one you think would work best for you.  Don't rip SOE a new one cause there trying to please everyone all the way around and have done so for many years in the past and in the future or we wouldn't be here now.  Speaking from expierence conventions are very hard to book for dates where you get as many of us as you do year after year to attend. 

Vote how you see fit and be done with it.  They are really and truly doing the best they can even thou some of you may not see that or think about that.  Please just vote with what is best for you and your family.

Darkmystres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #24
St

Way to alienate students and parents!!

Without a doubt one of the most genius moves by SOE in a while (comment laced with sarcasm).

St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #25
Leko

SOE Community Council

I am a parent with a school age child and think the Fall dates are awesome.
Leko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #26
Tharkis

Master

I voted for october, september's a rough month for me for vacations, as in new england,t hat's the month that ALL the annual events happen on the weekends (we get our best weather of the year in that month!)

Tharkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #27
Scooches

The Quiet Type

Oct is looking good for me, as for the kiddos - that's what grandparents are for.

Scooches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #28
Calthine

SOE Community Council

jaqlyn wrote:

/wonders if anyone took the school year into account while planning the dates.

Oh, I have $10 that says those were the available open dates for a convention at Bally's, and that they were presented with several options instead of picking dates.

But stuff happens.  I've been blessed to go to five Fan Faires, and I suppose missing one won't kill me.  On the other hand, maybe we'll blow off school and bring the kids.  Anything could happen!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #29
hackhacker

The Quiet Type

October is fine for me.

and for thoes complaining, how is this a week of school?  it kicks off thursday night, and ends sunday afternon.

hackhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #30
duskmacabre

The Quiet Type

Im not voting for this because again I feel the East coast is left out in the dark.  Really las vegas is central??.  St Louis was central location and it was a great Fan Fair. Please take into consideration the economic impact on us gamers over on the east coast. And besides las vegas is not the most kid friendly place and most of us gamers have kids.

duskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote