EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
crazyeyes321

Loremaster

Plat is becoming rediculously easy to accrue and hoard.  Other than the occasional SLR or appearance item, once a person has their masters there is nothing worthwhile to buy.  Prices of course vary by server and peak times, but it isn't uncommon to see items selling for 1000s of plat.

Later this month we will probably see Krono tokens for 1000s of plat as well.  This leads me to wonder, is there the liklihood that it would become cheaper to buy plat from a no-no site and use that to buy krono from others?  I dont know the value of plat to these third party sites, but I do know there is simply too much plat to begin with.

Lets come up with ways to spend plat in game that would be rewarding

1) Buffer:  npc that applies buffs that people want for plat.  Rare buffs, like increased chance to get drops, or percent increase to up your loot to the next tier of loot(treasure, legendary,fable)

2) Priest of Bristlebane:  Pay the merchant in plats, accountwide double xp for a certain time(competes with sc though)

3) SC broker:  Allow plat to be traded for SC tokens, as gametime and expansions are removed from the system, let people buy fluff/boosters for plat if they want

4) Rare titles/effects:  Allow people to purchase and upkeep rare titles/effects with plat, like the Tycoon or something that lets them show everyone else how rich they are as well as giving them a special perk

5)  Design a sandbox zone, where people can purchase a shop, a player town, etc that requires plat to maintain.

Im sure others have ideas on what they would like to spend their fortunes on, lets hear em.

crazyeyes321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
SteelPiston

Loremaster

Not plat sinks, but plat nerfs. SOE need to dry up some of the plat in the game. There is hyper inflation in the game and there's no reason for such huge plat awards for killing stuff at the level 80+ end of the game. The high end of the game needs to be brought into balance with the low end. The stupid PR plat printing press needs to be closed down, or reduced to just 3P per boss kill. That'll remove loads of plat from the game within a matter or weeks.

There should still be plat chests and raid boss kill awards, but just not so much plat. It's has become ridiculous how expensive low end gear is now on the broker. Genuine new players can no longer afford the stuff. Drying up the amount of plat in the game will make plat more valuable and bring the high and low ends of the game back together.

They've already introducing Krona. 1 Krona = ~1500 - 1800P. ($15). What's next? A diamond token that's worth 5,000P? ($50)

Old 10-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Mohee

Lord

Its to late, there's already tons of people running around with tens of thousands of plat, if not hundreds.

Fix plat chests to drop plat based on number of players there during the kill.

Introduce plat sinks such as merchants selling things people want! New mounts or prestige houses that cost thousands of plat!

Repair bill is weak! Make it cost more! There is literally no penalty for dying in eq2...

There's a lot they could do, but it'll never happen. I'm pretty sure its just to late. People will keep farming and eventually this will be like EQ1, where 10kp just means nothing.

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Twyxx

Guardian

Two words:  Gigglegibber Bugbear.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

this I always find amusing. I've never seen more then 1500 plat. ever. but then again, I don't pay someone 50p to rez the cleric in PR and then try to solo run the zone(or two box it with a second account). or solo raid zones, either....or in a raid guild that does plat splits.

if your a solo/duo player....1k plat is a LOT of money. even if you group, 1k plat can be a lot of money.

they want to dry up the plat, it's very simple. make all raid zones scale to level. don't change their loots, but make it so yeah, you can't solo PR/SoH anymore. you can't solo Kor'sha...and then put in a tiny bit of code that says mentoring down and unmentoring won't work in raid zones.

there goes about 9/10ths of the plat farm.

I don't mind hard core raiders with plat splits having big bucks. if they are riading for those big chests and splitting the plat that's fine.

the inflation came from Sk no. 3000004 soloing SoH/Korsha/PR/leviathan/VP every 3 days for 1000 plat a run.

and really, after getting all your masters, what's the point of hoarding plat? to by raid gear so you can...hoard plat easier? maybe twinking out your alts I guess with masters. dunno. never saw much point in hoarding it.

though I do know rangers hoard it for the insane amount of arrows they have to buy...or to buy the raid/instance horns so they can make the dragon bone arrows in the huge bulks they need.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
Rendoir

Loremaster

No need to nerf plat drops - for a lot of people who don;t raid acumulating plat is 'endgame' content. If you want to start a thread about nerfing plat drops, go ahead. This one is about adding plat sinks.

I'd love to see some serious plat sinks for some seriously awesome ingame items. Dropping 10k on a persistant open world housing plot for example, or 50k plat on a ship that was just fluff, but could be zoned from QH to anywhere in the world with a dock. Or 100k for amazing short term fluff buffs like a mirror illusion that makes 10 versions of you in different zones or something. 

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
Levatino

Loremaster

if you now introduce plat nerfs it would be very unfair to newer players. why would only you get all the benefits?

I don't see the problem of people having many plat. maybe if you want to do some good with it; sponsor newbies, sponsor your guild, sponsor any guild, organise give aways do something for the community instead of moaning.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster

please no nerfing or something crazy plat sinks.

i couldnt believe how much they were bidding on loots, there no way i made that much, but wish i were in the group earning.

however, i wasnt able to get in any groups for several months, i am just about to give up playing eq2 until i saw expansion.

i am just recently burn-out and got tired of doing solo for making 20-35 plats a day or few days later depending on zone timers.

nerfing wont stop anyone to get by other means, they will always find another options to sell or use some 3rd party for multiple-accounts program to farm mobs.

those who have small real life budget cant compete with those guys to been hauling plats like hardcore.

asking for nerf and you are hurting casual players who played few hours a week.

some can solo few zones, but that's only small amount and amount of days to wait for timer to expire.

anyway, there no way i could "outbid" others who has several hundred plats, i only able to sell 2-3 SC a month, something i had to wait few months to skip due to low budget, if lucky only able to sell one or use them for myself when they have double/triple SC days. that was my only way to get more plats but only if i need.

i am sure there is someone out there can afford to sell 10-15 SC in every 2 weeks on a whim.

i was able to get one of last exclusive shiney collection from crystal cave from SC trade in for SC points for plats as long it is approved by SOE. without that, i wouldnt be able to finish that collection.

now i heard about "Krono", so that is new way and it seem SOE is testing it, but that is bit more expensive.

anyway, i am glad that SOE stop 3rd party plat sellers, they can still ruin the game economy if SOE didnt stop them. i cant handle game's inflation, SOE has to be very careful not to hurt the economy and small time players who just trying to earn plats and have fun compared to hardcore who just run and work hard almost non-stop.

so, what kind of plat sinks? be very careful what to wish for, those kind of players would raise plats higher cost, some of these guys had nothing to spend but instead of hoarding for no reason.

it remind me of "old saying", those who got the most toys and wealth win the game.

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
daray

Loremaster

Mohee wrote:

Fix plat chests to drop plat based on number of players there during the kill.

This.

It was rather short-sighted of the devs to base the amounts off a full raid of people killing the mob(s), rather than a "per person" amount (which would scale up the more people you had).

It is these plat chests (PR, SoH, VP, etc) that are primarily responsible for the inflation we are seeing atm. (OK the odd plat duping exploit doesn't help either, but those aren't standard practices).

Fixing the inflation needs to be addressed from both ends - Plat chests and plat sinks.

daray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
Mohee

Lord

Remember when horses were first introduced in EQ2? Boy, all I remember is "O M G! Those are expensive!!!"

Why isn't there anything in the game anymore that is worth buying from merchants and cost a lot of plat?

Introduce special mounts available via stable masters that cost a lot of plat.

Bring in Prestige houses to buy from realators in game that cost a bunch!

Fix all Plat chests to scale in amounts based off of # of players there.

Blacksmiths and Tailorers that sell neato appearance gear for a good chunk of change!

Increase repair costs! My fully raid gear toon only takes about 3p to repair completely broken equipment!

Gigglegibber gambling that costs more!

Mini-games! And i mean real mini games like in Free Realms, not the Goblin mini games, c'mon, you aren't fooling anyone, those can't even be classified as games SMILEY

Theres a few ideas to get you started!

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
agnott

Loremaster

The devs don't want new ideas for spending plat  ....they want new ideas for spending SC.

This alone will kill any great idea for plat sinks. 

agnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
Marnus
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Tandros os Thol

Loremaster

Didn't they announce at SOELive that they're adding something called Krono or whatever, that you can buy with real life money and sell on the broker for plat? Won't people be spending a lot of plat on that? I realize it doesnt take the plat out of the game, but it will certainly circulate it around a bit-and we wont have to hear the whining in 1-9, because some idiot sold a card to someone they dont know, and now, shockingly, they've logged off without giving them the plat lol. Now the folks that have more plat than they know what to do with can continue playing with no rl cost, and the people who have a crapton of rl money, but no plat because they're too busy working in rl to make that money, can sell gametime and make plat. I think this was one of their better ideas in a while.

Marnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Grumble69

Loremaster

The folks with >100K plat didn't get it from farming the zones.  They got it from DM when you could one shot hundreds of mobs and earn slews of tokens.  They bought items and sold them to merchants.  That exploit is now fixed.  But it was in-game for over 6 months.  So if you shut down PR, etc. you are essentially clamping down on the "middle class" while letting the upper class get away with murder.

I'm not against plat sinks.  They are very much needed.  But keep this in mind--if you're wanting the devs to come up with some fluff items for a person to spend 10K on, then you're essentially designing a reward for the exploiters.  That rubs me a bit the wrong way.  But I'm not sure how you deal with it other than some luxury tax.

EDIT:  I'm sure there are some exceptions to how the "upper class" earned their plat.  But I know more that exploited than from SLR, farming, etc.

Grumble69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #14
zehly

Loremaster

I hate to be the devil's advocate on this, but here goes. I've seen a couple of you enumerate myriad ways one can easily farm platinum, yet you call for a nerf. Why? Should the players willing to do all the things you say need "fixed" be penalized because they are willing to do them? If I choose to hoarde my platinum, my rares, my reactants, my crafting materials, or whatever other liquid asset I earn, then that should be my prerogative. Amassing money in this game is incredibly easy, as you many of you have pointed out by listing your propsed "fixes". The disparity between those who farm and those who don't will always exist. This same issue has existed in games previous. These same cries of poverty, inflation and foul play existed back in RoK and early TSO when folks were upset that buying Mythical updates for 50-100p a person was too steep a cost and therefore (for most) unobtainable. While I mean no disrespect to fellow posters, I don't understand how you can, in one breath, complain about how easy something is, and yet because you choose not to do it, say it should be done away with. /end devil's advocate All of this being said, I'm not at all against adding meaningful items/functionality for a cost, but I don't think removing or altering existing content is necessary -- I think this would be too disturbing to the current game economy. Depleting reserves rapidly is also not a viable option. A fair and dynamic money sink (or several) needs to be implemented. As a matter of necessity, it should affect all players, regardless of playstyle, but should not cripple any particular segment of players. I believe this would require less effort on behalf of the development team than making mass changes to drop rates from previous content, or adjusting the mechanics associated with them.

One idea that comes to mind would be a tiered, scaling "tax" on items purchased on the broker, based (potentially) on factors such as: player level, item rarity, item availability, amount of platinum in economy, amount of platinum associated with purchaser's account on server, amount of time item has been on broker, and on and on. Since the broker is the centeral hub of the in-game economy, there exists a variety of layers of control that can be added to it to accomplish the "dynamic sink" goal. Exploiting the broker for profit, while risky, is actually much easier to do than many give credit, and often an order of magnitude more profitable.My 2cp. /duck

[Edited to add: Why I hoarde for months at a time then splurge a little, then hoarde more, all whilst farming a few toons a week for a couple hours? So that my little alts can run around in a full set of reactant gear, fully adorned, and have all spells mastered, making the process of leveling (I don't power level, I've always enjoyed running every overland zone, every dungeon, and every instance I can find -- multiple times). And while this does imply an initial net loss in the first six tiers, the tipping point is at tier 7, where the character becomes a net gain. And while the journey would of course be harder without a "tricked out toon", the ability, even at the lower tiers, to farm shinies, reactants, and rares, still exists. /end tangent.]

Savior Niekko, 92/320 Templar

Sir Trixle, ??/??? Brigand
zehly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
Krugus

Loremaster

In other old multi player onlines games I played in the past (Legends of Kesmai & Kingdom of Drakkar), they had various coin sinks.  

One I remember was the Sage in LoK where you would pay the Sage to assist you in training up a skill which would also give you xp.  

Another one I remember was the Hit Point Doc in KoD .   You would pay the HP doc X amount of coin for 1 xp and ever hp you buy it would go up in price.

Also in those games they had rare potions that would increase your stat by one point.    So they have a thriving Stat poition trade going b/c when you died you would lose constitution and some times Strength depending one what killed you...

They could also introduce Enchanter NPC's in the City Mages guild that can:

a. Enchant your weapons for x amount of plat.

b. Unattune items for a hefty price tag.

c. Remove Lore Tags for a hefty price tag.

d. Reattune no drop items to Hairloom items for a hefty price tag.

Real Healing Potions that are player made (the ones Alchy's make are a joke).

Just a few ideas...

Krugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #16
Gilasil

Loremaster

I guess it really comes down to exactly how much is too much and did they get it by an exploit.

One person mentioned an exploit which he said existed for over 6 months.  If that's how everyone with over, say 10,000 plat got their money then something needs to be done about THAT but you shouldn't go hitting people who came by it honestly.  I have no problem whatsoever with hammering an exploiter hard.  I also have no problem whatsoever with hammering an SoE employee hard if he was the one who knew about such an exploit but couldn't be bothered to do anything about it.  There's just no excuse for letting exploits like that exist for so long.

However, MANY people don't have all that much plat at all.  The most I've had on any character is a bit over 600 plat which I got from selling drops on the broker.  Others in many of the guilds I"ve had experience with are similar.   About the time of RoK I had a level 80 with a few hundred plat before spending it on masters, so at least from my point of view there doesn't appear to be all that much inflation.  Some but it's not really out of control.  Don't go hurting people of modest means when they're not the problem.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #17
SteelPiston

Loremaster

The people sitting on a plat mountain are just going to buy all the Krona that they can get their hands on before selling it on by some means.

The only plat sink missing from this game that others have is spell components for casters. I used to spend a fortune on tapers and scarabs in order to be able to cast spells. The poor old rangers in EQ2 have to pay to play with arrows and posions. No other classes have to pay. Either give them free arrows and poisons, or start charging casters for spell components. I can't imagine spell components would be popular, but it would be a currency drain.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #18
Mermut

Loremaster

Buying and selling things to other players doesn't get rid of the plat, it just moves it around. If SoE could come up with something that people actually wanted to spent plat on that would get it out of the game.. that's what's needed as a plat sink.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #19
Terrorpeutic

Elder

I haven't seen any actual items from Player Studio so I can't say how popular they will be, but SOE should let those player made items be sold for plats instead of sc.  The price should be fixed by SOE so there won't be too much diversity between similar items.  And if the players can make elaborate items in the future, I for one will be willing to spend plats on them; whereas I'd only consider using sc as those are not game essential items.

Terrorpeutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #20
sanamin

Loremaster

Just need to add income tax to the game for players toons to pay.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #21
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

no the Players studio is designed so that the players that make the items get 40% of the profits as an incentive for them to make nice stuff that people will want.

if the PS stuff was sold for plat...why the hell would I spend hours and hours of time making items for it?

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #22
crazyeyes321

Loremaster

The point of the thread is not to nerf plat drops or make it harder for people to accrue plat in game.  Nobody wants a nerf, well, some people do.  What I want is something to spend my plat on that is unique or special, that takes the plat out of circulation instead of just moving it from person A to B.

There are many ways this can be done, and if done correctly could help reduce the plat in system.  Buffs, illusions, persistant housing/guildhalls/ships/airships/bazaar zones etc are all ideas that would provide something in return for a platinum upkeep.  Heck, I wouldnt even be that opposed to a skill that worked on non raid mobs that hit for 1billion damage if the cost was set decently.

Platinum comes in game from tons of sources, but money leaving the system only really happens from npc merchant purchases, upkeeps, and repair costs.  None of these is large enough to be of any consequence.

crazyeyes321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
Shotneedle

Loremaster

Grumble69 wrote:

The folks with >100K plat didn't get it from farming the zones.  They got it from DM when you could one shot hundreds of mobs and earn slews of tokens.  They bought items and sold them to merchants.  That exploit is now fixed.  But it was in-game for over 6 months.  So if you shut down PR, etc. you are essentially clamping down on the "middle class" while letting the upper class get away with murder.

I'm not against plat sinks.  They are very much needed.  But keep this in mind--if you're wanting the devs to come up with some fluff items for a person to spend 10K on, then you're essentially designing a reward for the exploiters.  That rubs me a bit the wrong way.  But I'm not sure how you deal with it other than some luxury tax.

EDIT:  I'm sure there are some exceptions to how the "upper class" earned their plat.  But I know more that exploited than from SLR, farming, etc.

There were plenty of people with 100k+ plat before dungeon maker even came out. Try again.

Buffrat - 92 Troubador - AB

Arbitrat - 92 Berserker - AB

Guarddog - 92 Warden - AB
Shotneedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
Terron

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

The poor old rangers in EQ2 have to pay to play with arrows and posions. No other classes have to pay.

Wrong.

All fighters and scouts pay for ammo - the ranger just uses more.

All non-bard scouts pay for poisons and use just as much as rangers.

Every class pays for food and drink (or skips the benefits).

Raiders pay for signets and such like

There are potions and totems that everyonce can pay for.

Terron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #25
Crychtonn

Loremaster

delete double post

Crychtonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
Crychtonn

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

The people sitting on a plat mountain are just going to buy all the Krona that they can get their hands on before selling it on by some means.

The only plat sink missing from this game that others have is spell components for casters. I used to spend a fortune on tapers and scarabs in order to be able to cast spells. The poor old rangers in EQ2 have to pay to play with arrows and posions. No other classes have to pay. Either give them free arrows and poisons, or start charging casters for spell components. I can't imagine spell components would be popular, but it would be a currency drain.

You forget that arrows and throwing ammo is player made and if they added (which I think they should) similar items mages and priest had to use they'd be player made also.  All you end up doing is making the crafting bot people richer then they already are.  Want to make crazy plat with little effort?  Get a bot program to make all that stuff and dump it on the broker.

The only way this could be a plat sink is if they took it away from the crafting bots and players had to buy the ammo / spell components from NPC's.  Which will never happen because the crafting bot community has a great lobby.

Crychtonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #27
Geothe

Loremaster

I'd like to see some cool appearance stuff move off of the Market Place for station cash and onto in-game venders for large amounts of plat.

Similar to the function of the orignial mounts when the game came out, they were status items, that cost a large amount of coin (at the time) to aquire.  And in purchasing them, that coin is completely removed from the game.

The lack of effective plat sinks in this game is a bad thing.

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #28
Cakeny

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

SteelPiston wrote:

The poor old rangers in EQ2 have to pay to play with arrows and posions. No other classes have to pay.

Wrong.

All fighters and scouts pay for ammo - the ranger just uses more.

All non-bard scouts pay for poisons and use just as much as rangers.

Every class pays for food and drink (or skips the benefits).

Raiders pay for signets and such like

There are potions and totems that everyonce can pay for.

Beastlords use poison?

Cakeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #29
Middleone

Hero

[email protected] wrote:

this I always find amusing. I've never seen more then 1500 plat. ever. but then again, I don't pay someone 50p to rez the cleric in PR and then try to solo run the zone(or two box it with a second account). or solo raid zones, either....or in a raid guild that does plat splits.

if your a solo/duo player....1k plat is a LOT of money. even if you group, 1k plat can be a lot of money.

they want to dry up the plat, it's very simple. make all raid zones scale to level. don't change their loots, but make it so yeah, you can't solo PR/SoH anymore. you can't solo Kor'sha...and then put in a tiny bit of code that says mentoring down and unmentoring won't work in raid zones.

there goes about 9/10ths of the plat farm.

I don't mind hard core raiders with plat splits having big bucks. if they are riading for those big chests and splitting the plat that's fine.

the inflation came from Sk no. 3000004 soloing SoH/Korsha/PR/leviathan/VP every 3 days for 1000 plat a run.

and really, after getting all your masters, what's the point of hoarding plat? to by raid gear so you can...hoard plat easier? maybe twinking out your alts I guess with masters. dunno. never saw much point in hoarding it.

though I do know rangers hoard it for the insane amount of arrows they have to buy...or to buy the raid/instance horns so they can make the dragon bone arrows in the huge bulks they need.

Wow I'm just stunned by players who ask for the game to be made more difficult and annoying for everyone.  I don't think this is a problem, so it needs no solution.  Eventually, if people play long enough, they will have a toon that can farm plat for themselves, or with a friend / duo, and their plat troubles will be over.  I doubt very much that the price of Masters will go down just because plat is more rare though, so the game would be harder and more annoying without any actual benefit. 

Second, it would divide the haves and have nots further.  Do you honestly think that people who have 10k or 50k plat will be fooled into plat sinks?  If they were canny enough to gather that much plat in the first place, they'll be canny enough to avoid your nefarious plans to take their money away.  This is just more greed and jealousy talking. 

I like the Krono idea because it will move plat from the haves to the have nots.  Let's say I started playing two weeks ago, and 2g is a lot to me, I buy a Krono and one of those six boxers buys it from me for lots of plat, bingo, I'm out of the poorhouse. 

Edit Addition:  I should note that there are significant plat sinks already in the game, exactly as you suggest, with titles and expensive items, etc, but they are behind the veil of faction grinds.  One example would be the 42p mounts you can buy in Paineel IF and only IF you have enough faction with EVERYONE in that zone.  Also the Tokens of Loyalty are expensive and required for each toon you level to a high level so they can then buy adorns for plat, but only after faction grinds.  And don't tell me that faction armor in Skyshrine isn't a plat sink, Silver Memberships can barely hold that much plat on their person and can buy only one item at a time with a Doz head.  With high level comes plat, the necessity of factions, and plat sinks.

Middleone is offline   Reply With Quote