EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Vinyard
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster

Seeing as the last one was locked, I guess this calls for a fresh one.

With the population of the game ever dwindling, do you think the servers should be condensed? I would rather see 2-3, maybe 4? full servers, than the 1-2 heavy ones, and the rest medium/light like we have now

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
LadyMist

Loremaster

They have this thing called a "Server Transfer Token" purchasable on the station store. Me and over 50 people I know have bought and used these.

And now with it being OBNOXIOUSLY easy to level a toon, you could always re-roll like tons of other players did.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Vinyard

Loremaster

I play on AB. Why would I go to a lesser populated server?

Old 09-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Oxie

Loremaster

LadyMist wrote:

They have this thing called a "Server Transfer Token" purchasable on the station store. Me and over 50 people I know have bought and used these.

And now with it being OBNOXIOUSLY easy to level a toon, you could always re-roll like tons of other players did.

Yes, I know about server transfer tokens. I'm not about to reroll my swashbuckler on another server, when I've been playing him as my main since launch on Unrest. I'm not about to move him to another server, and leave behind my 5 crafters that I leveled up to support my raiding swashbuckler. I'm not about to leave the few friends that I still have left in this ghost town of a game. Even if I could move my 6 toons over to another server for free, I'd lose my own little guild that I've been leveling since launch after all my EQ1 friends quit for WoW. They have merged servers once due to low populations, so it's just time to do it again. Make 3 servers for PvE and 1 for PvP, and a Euro server and be done with it. At the rate things are going, we'll be like Vanguard with 1 laggy server for the USA and one for the Europeans.

Oxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
LadyMist

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Your server is Much less populated than Freeport. If you feel the game is dieing and you want your server merged with another so you have more than 6 ppl in skyshrine to play with, then move to a populated server like others did. then you can pick between ss 1 2 or 3 instead of AB whole 11 person populated one

Old 09-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
Bumfit

Loremaster

LadyMist wrote:

Dont you love it?  In a forum that is completely dead you still get morons that find the time to make troll posts'  

The truth is that this game is old, it doesnt have a huge player base.  Server merges make total sense.  Really, what is the point of having so many empty servers up?  Most of the time all servers are dead except for AB and Freeport and even still on those servers finding groups and other players can be quite difficult.  Merge the servers and make the game actually seem like its popular again.

Bumfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster

huh? merged server once? nope, we all had merged twice.

Highkeep merged with Butcherblock, then Kithicor got merged into Butcherblock.

Kithicor had other server merged, cant remember that name.

most of those servers had merged twice, dont know about european's servers.

so, you were looking at "Merge v3.0"?

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
Vinyard

Loremaster

I called this one 2.0 because thread 1.0 was locked....

but yea, my original server was Steamfont, so I know of the first round SMILEY

Old 09-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #9
Modok
Guild: Guardians of Drinal

Loremaster

come in, troll a few channels, make a monday morning quarterback decision:Standard issue Vinyard

Modok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #10
Malleria

Loremaster

LadyMist wrote:

So instead of addressing a real problem affecting thousands of people, your solution is that every one of those people spend $25 (per toon) to move to a more populated server. End result is the same, but your way costs literally millions of dollars - which all ends up in SOE's pocket.

My what a good apologist you are!

Malleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #11
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

LadyMist wrote:

Your server is Much less populated than Freeport. If you feel the game is dieing and you want your server merged with another so you have more than 6 ppl in skyshrine to play with, then move to a populated server like others did. then you can pick between ss 1 2 or 3 instead of AB whole 11 person populated one

The wind in the sails of the FP server, will not last forever. If anything, it is already waning.With Freeport no longer having the exclusive advantage of being the sole "Freemium" server, combined with the retention rate of Freemium players being average at best, I predict that it is just a matter of time until Freeport has a hard time competing with regular servers.The way players routinely report about the change in attitude of the playerbase on Freeport, makes it look inevitable.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Reeso

Loremaster

they wait for the du...uhm..special people to spend their money on the transfer tokens before merging SMILEY

Reeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
Vinyard

Loremaster

So, doing a quick /who all....

1-50: 82 players

51-80: 44 players

81-92: 74 players.

*Yes I realize this isn't counting the anon players*

But don't these numbers seem low to anyone else?

Old 09-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Mohee

Lord

So, doing a quick /who all....

1-50: 82 players

51-80: 44 players

81-92: 74 players.

*Yes I realize this isn't counting the anon players*

But don't these numbers seem low to anyone else?

Yeah, the game in general has a low population. Also depends on the time of day that you do the /who alls. You also got to figure that the majority of players are 90-92, and the vast majority of people at those levels are either /role or /anon. At most i'd bet your number of 90-92 players on at peak times if probably 150-400 (at least on Freeport server anyways.) And yes, that is still a really low population SMILEY

For example, my guild, when there is 20-30 level 92 players on in peak hours, there might be literally 2-5 that aren't /role. (our guildies use /role because they don't want to hide their guild tag, just their level, class, and zone).

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
Wingrider01

Loremaster

Seeing as the last one was locked, I guess this calls for a fresh one.

With the population of the game ever dwindling, do you think the servers should be condensed? I would rather see 2-3, maybe 4? full servers, than the 1-2 heavy ones, and the rest medium/light like we have now

rarely have a problem with a group, can't find one, I make one - works every time, besides with the change in the wind you won;t see any possiblity of a server merge until after it completes - basic business sense

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
BeeJay

Loremaster

Here's a prediction for you, 12 months from now, after the PSS1 deal, the mass exodus of the European player base, PSS1's failure to recruit any new players - except perhaps for the German language server and competition from newer, better games, there won't be a large enough population left to support more than 2 servers.

BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
Vinyard

Loremaster

All I'm hoping for, is a healthy game population for everyone, at all times.

SoE, with SoEmote you claimed to pyt "the roleplaying back in RPG"....now how about you get to work on the "massive" part in mmo?

Old 09-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

there should just be 2 servers in this game: pve and pvp.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #19
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I agree.  That way we don't have to keep seeing posts from people who don't understand that you can't depend on /WHO ALL to get the numbers of players playing as it's inaccurate at best.

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #20
Vinyard

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I agree.  That way we don't have to keep seeing posts from people who don't understand that you can't depend on /WHO ALL to get the numbers of players playing as it's inaccurate at best.

Or the people who don't read the disclaimer, am i rite or am i rite

Old 09-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #21
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

LadyMist wrote:

O, sheer brilliance!!! Then, when everyone has left the other servers to concentrate on the one or two that still have people left, SOE will have effectively merged all of their servers into 2, while getting a whole bunch of extra money from all the people who paid for the transfer!

/facepalm

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
Sands
Guild: Vermin

Loremaster

It would be nice to see some real numbers.  Instead of High, Low, Med population, they could put the current active player count on the server selection screen and status page.  (I don't understand all the smoke and mirrors when it comes to getting real data on the actual number of players.)

Old 09-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #23
salty21db

Loremaster

The fact I can barely get quests done this weekend tells me that we don't need a server merge lol.

salty21db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #24
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

has it been 3 weeks already? 

Old 09-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #25
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

salty21db wrote:

The fact I can barely get quests done this weekend tells me that we don't need a server merge lol it is a double EXP weekend, and people are working on their Nth alt.

See how you go with the said quests, next weekend, when it is not a special event. Double EXP weekends do not provide an accurate representation of player activity, on a normal day.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #26
zehly

Loremaster

It would be nice to see some real numbers.  Instead of High, Low, Med population, they could put the current active player count on the server selection screen and status page.  (I don't understand all the smoke and mirrors when it comes to getting real data on the actual number of players.)

Posting the actual numbers of players on at a given time is giving exact data to the competitor as to the "health" of the game, and to an extent, the company. Even the screenshots of SOE's server monitoring software (found on eq2wire.com from a development seminar and Q&A) obfuscate these numbers. It's proprietary information.

From SOE's standpoint, I would imagine, the problem in combining all players onto 2 servers is one of load-balancing. You don't want all your eggs in one basket. Server merges are also likely cost intensive, and we know they are time consuming. I don't think we will see a server merge until the cost and maintainance requirements of several servers outweigh the population by an order of magnitude.

That said, I believe character transfers should be offered to all subscription customers semi-annually who have remained in a subscription status for the duration of that time period. Characters eligible for this service should be of a certain creation age (not level). I think this would induce a self-stabilizing system. Keep in mind that populations can be unhealthy by being both sparse and crowded.

Savior Niekko, 92/320 Templar

Sir Trixle, ??/??? Brigand
zehly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #27
Te'ana

Tester

Beware what you wish for. The lag tonight on Freeport is so bad that the game is unplayable. I MUCH prefer a smaller server.

Te'ana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #28
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

It kinda goes without saying that we would want smooth playable servers with our mergers. This would be one of the bigger problems SOE would face. The overcrowded thing should be a non-issue since the game has the ability to instantiate multiple copies of contested zones... although that may need to be adjusted.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #29
General_Info

Lord

zehly wrote:

hat said, I believe character transfers should be offered to all subscription customers semi-annually who have remained in a subscription status for the duration of that time period. Characters eligible for this service should be of a certain creation age (not level). I think this would induce a self-stabilizing system. Keep in mind that populations can be unhealthy by being both sparse and crowded.

I agree if it is a subscription perk then just give em a free token but if it is packaged as a free CTS then free players should be restricted on which server they can transfer to.

SWG did this (as it was P2P) had from and to server conditions in order to keep the population denisity on servers healthy and not overloaded. unfortunately they didn't scratch starsider off the to list soon enough. as that particular server became overloaded and they took note to rub it in to non-starsiders and convinced many gullible new players into going over there.

even with the best system specs the server would lag and so many new players that created toons on the server quickly jumped ship for the more stable and healthier servers.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #30
theriatis

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Here's a prediction for you, 12 months from now, after the PSS1 deal, the mass exodus of the European player base, PSS1's failure to recruit any new players - except perhaps for the German language server and competition from newer, better games, there won't be a large enough population left to support more than 2 servers.

It's not "German Language Server", it's more of an "mixed German/English with a terrible and inaccurate translation which gets you screaming when you are searching for Mobs or descriptions Server".

It would be funny, it it wasn't the truth.

Yay to all the Guys starting on Valor as F2P - and all the Gold Accounts which are cancelled.

@SoE: Why didn't you advertise in the TV in the last 7 years ? WHY ? Valor could be FLOODED with (paying, Gold Account) Players right now...

Regards, theriatis.

i need a good laugh now and then, too
theriatis is offline   Reply With Quote