EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
Gaarysal
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Fist of the Empire

Loremaster

I was expecting something much more significant much like the Freeport revamp. So far all I can see that is different is the new texture/arches on the walls and they removed a zoneline. Also they removed the hoods which many people begged for months not to be removed. Is this seriously all you could come up with in the 6 months since the FP revamp? When I first set foot in the new Freeport it felt like a whole new zone, a whole new experience, this just feels like someone spent a bit too much time playing Diablo 3 instead of working SMILEY

Gaarysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
Trennt
Server: The Bazaar
Guild: Knights Of Goodness

Loremaster

I totally agree, was a very large let-down to zone to qeynos harbor and see everything the same with some higher res textures that you cant even see because they are too dang dark.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
Hamervelder

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I was expecting something much more significant much like the Freeport revamp. So far all I can see that is different is the new texture/arches on the walls and they removed a zoneline. Also they removed the hoods which many people begged for months not to be removed. Is this seriously all you could come up with in the 6 months since the FP revamp? When I first set foot in the new Freeport it felt like a whole new zone, a whole new experience, this just feels like someone spent a bit too much time playing Diablo 3 instead of working

People can beg all they want; SOE does not, has not, and never will listen to their players.  SOE thinks they know what you want, more than you know what you want.  That'll never change.

Warden of Mayhem, Antonia Bayle
Hamervelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
Brigh

Loremaster

I am disappointed that I can't log in without crashing after selecting a character I copied to test copy.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
Kinya
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Runnyeye Raiding Club

Fansite Staff

Since almost a year we heard many times SmokeJumper saying: "Qeynos will be great, outstanding, just wait for it to see it".

Freeport revamp really looked great, so I was expecting something similar with Qeynos.

I am dissapointed... It looks terrible...

So we waited a year for this revamp, just to see that everything is as it was and the only thing which you did is changing the names of the zones and colour on the walls?

http://babagra.pl - Polish Everquest 2 Fansite

Kinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
Cometar
Server: Mistmoore
Guild: New Outriders

Loremaster

Terribly dissapointed.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #7
Cerinthe
Server: Oasis
Guild: Freedom Flames

Loremaster

Personally I'm feeling relieved to read that after the mess I think they made of Freeport, turning it from a realistic mediterranean looking city into what looks like a theme shopping mall.  Maybe there's still hope for the Qeynos I love, if I can ever actually get onto Test and see. 

Cerinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
retro_guy

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I was expecting something much more significant much like the Freeport revamp. So far all I can see that is different is the new texture/arches on the walls and they removed a zoneline. Also they removed the hoods which many people begged for months not to be removed. Is this seriously all you could come up with in the 6 months since the FP revamp? When I first set foot in the new Freeport it felt like a whole new zone, a whole new experience, this just feels like someone spent a bit too much time playing Diablo 3 instead of working

People can beg all they want; SOE does not, has not, and never will listen to their players.  SOE thinks they know what you want, more than you know what you want.  That'll never change.

Sadly I think this is the case, in this case.

I'm so sad to see the suburbs go, I really can't understand the logic behind it, especially since people have been begging for them to stay in the game.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

the suburbs leaving didn't bother me at all. in fact, some of the things they did made them more interesting then they were before.

the textures are fine to me. new look on the city gates and walls, new look on the palace. npcs all got new looks in armor for the most part. and omg there are kids in Qeynos! besides annoying little ironforge! there's some other minor little things here and there but nothing major.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had made a huge major upheaval of a change...and then after all the moaning and griping about Freeport toned it down some. but there are plenty of little cosmetic changes here and there that I noticed that I liked. like fish in the moat/aquaducts. Gray the magnificent now has a a musician and a backup performer and is entertaining a crowd..there's a jester doing the same as well.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
Lifeswarde

Hero

I am also disappointed with the new look.  The devs went too far on some things, and hardly touched most things.

I would have liked to see the Harbor and shipyard cleaned up a little bit - you would think that would be a priority for a city that is supposed to be fixing older buildings.  The port looks like a joke for a major city, especially compared to Freeport.

I really dislike the new 'bronze' additions to the walls. The turrets look 'half-middle-eastern' - I was hoping for Qeynos to stick closer to a European castle look seeing as Freeport went a little more exotic.

On a plus side, I like the new armor of the guards and the various guilds, except for the Celestial Watch outfit...checkered effect looks awful.

On that note, not sure if it's part of some storyline yet, but the Temple of Life still looks very plain.

Lifeswarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Beagley

Loremaster

Bitterly disappointed and completely underwhelmed....

What took so long?  Other than being able to walk from old SQ to old NQ without zoning and the streetlight effects a bit more visible, I'm hard pressed to notice anything different.

Other than there is the virtual "police line - do not cross" at the suburb entrances of course

All in all a huge yawn

Beagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
baguetteovenfresh

Loremaster

I could only see a difference because I was looking really hard with my designer's eye.

Someone entering the zone without being told "its different" wouldnt be able to tell in any way, unless they were oddly constantly observant.

baguetteovenfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
Caela

Loremaster

I was disappointed as well.

I don't have the black walls that everyone is mentioning so the artwork does look better, just not that much better like Freeport was.  I was also expecting a zoneless city like Freeport.

I'm sure they put a lot of work into the new quests, but from a visual standpoint, I was completely disappointed.

Also, I'm going to really miss the suburbs.  The loss in Freeport didn't effect me much since I didn't grow up there.  But I grew up in Qeynos.  Baubbleshire was my home!  I'm going to feel homeless... SMILEY

I can't say this enough.  I want the suburbs back.  I want to live in Baubbleshire.  I feel like I'm being kicked out of my home town.

As someone who in real life, as an adult moved back to the town I grew up in - if it had been gone, I would have been devistated...  and I feel very much like that now.

Caela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
Meta-Shadow

Loremaster

I for one love the new Qeynos. No matter how much people wanted the side towns, NO ONE went there! Maybe one person every once in a while. I'm speaking for the AB server. When I was leveling my guild before it was 30, I would use Willow Wood and it's crafting area. No one would ever be there with me. Yet, everyone always screams " But think of Willow Wood!". Come on. I liked those places too. But I'd rather see it used for something else, rather than be a shell of it's former self just being stagnant and haveing NO reason for anyone to go there.

The new castle looks phenominal! I liked that they kept much of the city the same, it added the new with the old, which people also wanted!

Meta-Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
Tyanu
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Caress of Saryrn

Loremaster

very disappointed....

Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #16
Finora

Tester

I like that they didn't do an over-the-top gaudy redo of Qeynos myself. The small more subtle changes they made are better than throwing gold leaf and mood lighting on everything.

I do have a few problems with it, but the overall look of the revamp is not one of them.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
Yimway

Loremaster

Mainly I'm just upset an entire GU was wasted on this when we don't have enough t10 content to stay busy.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
Caela

Loremaster

I logged on again tonight to Test and changed my mind about the revamp...  I took some screenshots of "before and after" with a little commentary.

http://caelascorner.com/qeynos-you-...-go-home-again/

This is strictly from a look standpoint - not the other issues/bugs that are present.  But the look of Qeynos is growing on me.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
Mohee

Lord

overall...

not impressed and a little dissapointed.

At least a got a little chuckle out of the fact its still pretty much the exact same. Also laughed at the fact it is split into 3, QH, NQ, and SQ. Where as Freeport is all just 1 zone now, with all new buildings, textures, plants, walls.

I still don't like either city changes. But I wonder exactly what they spent all their time doing when working on this "Qeynos Revamp." Doesn't seem like it should take that long for how little they've changed it.

At least it made me laugh i guess.

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #20
Knives
Server: Everfrost
Guild: The Fallen Legion

Loremaster

I'm fairly disappointed with the "new" Qeynos as well. When a zone revamp is announced a year in advance one gets the impression that something big is going to happen. I was pretty impressed with Freeport when I first stepped foot in it post-revamp (I admit some of it is gaudy, especially Lucan's armor).

I didn't think about it before, but now that Rainmare mentions it - maybe they did tone it down a bit after the playerbase was so split on Freeport. As I've mentioned in other threads, one of Murrar Shar's first quests almost directly references the playerbase's mixed feelings on redesigning Freeport/Qeynos. Personally, I advocate change in MMO worlds as much as I can and I would love to see something drastic. Others were happy with Qeynos in its original state, and I suppose that's fine too. I just feel like the developers are trying too hard to please both sides.

As far as removing the suburbs go, I'm fine with it as long as content is added in its place. As much as I liked the Freeport suburbs, I feel like enough new stuff is going on over there to warrant their removal. In Qeynos, it feels like they took out content without adding anything in its place. Freeport honestly feels like a city that is keeping up with the times. There are new projects going on in the city, entire hubs were added, streets redesigned. In Qeynos, it seems like they've stayed in the same place they were when the game launched - which is unrealistic for a real life city, let alone a city facing the constant threat of annihilation at the hands of magical creatures.

Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #21
MalletMan

Elder

I think Qeynos castle doesnt have to be that big.

MalletMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:12 AM   #22
wullailhuit

Loremaster

I wasn't expecting much of a change , just a merge of the main zones , I'm dissapointed that it's not been merged more though.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:16 AM   #23
wullailhuit

Loremaster

Caela wrote:

I logged on again tonight to Test and changed my mind about the revamp...  I took some screenshots of "before and after" with a little commentary.

This is strictly from a look standpoint - not the other issues/bugs that are present.  But the look of Qeynos is growing on me.

Looking at your web site....you're showing the new Qeynos in a higher setting than the old one , I see shadows in your 'new' one and it's very basic settings in the old one.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #24
Caela

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Caela wrote:

Looking at your web site....you're showing the new Qeynos in a higher setting than the old one , I see shadows in your 'new' one and it's very basic settings in the old one.

Well then, I don't know what's going on, as I went into the options on both and set it to "High Quality".  Perhaps Test has different settings for that than Live, or something else in my live install is overriding it.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #25
Gravy

Lord

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

I totally agree, was a very large let-down to zone to qeynos harbor and see everything the same with some higher res textures

LOL.

I logged in and called home to Castleview Hamlet. I crashed.

Relogged and took the bell to Capital District which is the old North Qeynos. I ran through South Qeynos thinking that its cool that I don't have to zone.

Then I got to QH harbor and had to zone. I'm like, W*F, I guess they didn't join QH yet.

Then I zone to QH and look around and said, yep, they didn't join it yet. It looks exactly the same.

Maybe I just need a better graphix card.

Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #26
Raienya

Loremaster

My feelings are mixed at this time. Here are my impressions so far:

NPCs: Qeynos looks busier now. There are more NPCs standing around and talking. At times, they seem to get confused and scurry around a small area like ants.

Moving the collector from out in the open in N Qeynos (Capital District now) to a small building in (I think) Q Harbor doesn't make sense. Some other NPCs are hard to find as well.

ZONE LOOK AND FEEL: Rather "meh". Not much seems to have changed in the way of how the city looks. I don't mean all the new spots where NPCs gather, but more the buildings and walls. They seem to have changed very little. I would have loved a gleaming white marble look, with ivy growing on some spots, that sort of thing.

Guards, mailboxes, and mariner's bells have gotten a graphics upgrade. Some of the uniforms for NPCs like the concordium don't look quite right.

A few graphics glitches: Some of the corners where walls meet have holes in them. Water color seems very strange (pink?). Claymore plaza looks like it belongs more in Freeport than Qeynos.

Removal of the 'burbs: Big, BIG mistake. I didn't spend time in Freeport on any of my characters, so I didn't get attached to them. But removing them from Qeynos is like ripping the soul out of the city. I loved running around the hamlets more than the city itself. There was just so much personality in them, and now it is gone.

Raienya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #27
Oxie

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Mainly I'm just upset an entire GU was wasted on this when we don't have enough t10 content to stay busy.

This.

We went from raiding 4x a week (3 hours a night) to 3x a week (sometimes 2-2.5 hours a night). 

Until new HM gear goes into the 3 Drunder zones, we only have enough things to do to keep us busy 2 nights a week. Even if we could reset the 2 new raid zones every 24 hours, it would end up making raiding content a snorefest all the more faster...oh wait...it's a snorefest already.

Or we can go into PoW and spend 2 hours getting the first encounter down to 75% before we call it a night one hour early.Granted, the people doing all the zone revamps and SC fluff stuff are not the ones doing the raid content work, but those SC fluff items are paying the bills and raiders bring them little income. =(

Oxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #28
Katz

Loremaster

I like that the main zones don't require zoning.    I don't like losing the suburbs.   I like the new bells and mailboxes.  However, I would like the old "rustic" mailboxes to be used outside of towns in commonlands and antonica.   Its good to have variety.

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #29
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

My take on the "re-vamp".  

It seems like the city was barely given a paint job on the whole.  Buildings I couldn't enter in the past, but always wanted to, still can't be entered.   Qeynos Harbor is still disconnected from the main city and is TINY.  The Down Below has NOT changed at all.  The city itself is a little more bustling but barely so.  I've been pushing for more ambience in the game for a long while and I'm glad to see changes like what happened to Darklight Woods.  I just wish the staff had taken more time to make Qeynos into a viable community hub.

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #30
Kram337

Loremaster

I figured you were all just being dramatic so I made an alt and wandered over to Qeynos. I've got to say; no exagerations. The zone is basically exactly the same but with new city walls and doors.

How is this a revamp? I guess new quests and changed guard appearence. Thats all? Freeport was a revamp. This is more like a quest vamp.

Kram337 is offline   Reply With Quote