EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Player Studio Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Covic

Developer

I wanted to post a couple assets that we have made in house that show what I am looking for.  I picked this round shield since I have gotten some round shields as submissions.  This shield is 844 triangles which is still below the 1000 limits.  The geo is used to create silhouette shape.  The uvs are organized to use overlap and reuse of areas so that the texture resolution stays high.  The back of the shield is cut in half on the uv sheet since it didnt need to have an assymetrical look.  It could have even been cut into quads.

You can see in the normal map how the bolts look like little round domes, this will help push the shape.  Most of the noise and color variation in the color map was taken out of the normal map.  The normal map is used to create the illusion of geo by affecting how the light reflects off the surface, and creating shadows. 

Also when creating an item you usually want two levels of interest.  From a distance you will see that the shield has 3 base colors, the silver metal, brass/gold outer edge and the red of the leather and wood.  This creates shapes that can be seen from a distance.  The next is the fine detail of the skulls in the shield, the chains, and bolts that hold the shield together.  You usually want to think of these two levels of detail.  The first shows interest at first glance from a distance, the second shows interest when inspected up close.

Dave

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

Thanks for the great example. I need to get past the 400 tri limit mindset and make a complicated shield.

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Covic

Developer

Heres an Axe that show some good texture work.  The Axe by itself is only 542 triangles. With the hanging skull and chain, it is right at 1000.  I want to also show this one as an example of how the normal map from a high rez model bake compares to a black and white bump filter to a normal.  The skull area was done in z brush and you can see how much more depth the normal map has in the skull area.   Also you can see how the textures use overlays of some metal, rust, shinny metal for the blade area and then another rust/red stain area.  The spikes have some bone texture, with some dirt and rust texture mixed in. 

Dave

Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Covic

Developer

In both samples you can also see that we only use a 256 for spec and fresnel maps.  They are really just to help sell the illusion of it the asset have shine and a material.

Dave

Old 03-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Sephio

how do i make the the Normal map polarized in GlMP 2.0 so that it looks like the ones you posted...I already figured out how to embose it

Sephio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

Thanks for the second example Covic!

As far as making a normal map in G.I.M.P I strongly suggest you google it and look for an online tutorial. 

I don't want to discourage you, but making even the simplest of items for EQ/EQ2 will take some training and or practice. If you have an idea for a cloak burning in your head now then draw it out on paper then take a few days or weeks even to figure G.I.M.P out. After you feel comfortable make your cloak. Don't get frustrated with not being able to instantly make something. There is a reason Covic and other SOE artists make the big bucks!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Covic

Developer

OK here is one more, this was created by our intern Albert Soto.  He modeled the axe in Z brush first, thats why the normal map has so much pop.  The painted shadow on this one are a little two dark, I will probably take those down a little, but overall this thing is a great example.

Dave

Old 03-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Covic

Developer

The above examples are great reference for what you will want to try to achieve in player studio.  I dont expect every submission to be this good.  But the closer you can get to this quality the better chance you will have of getting something in.  Well if you hit this quality it will go in.

Dave B.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Covic

Developer

Here are some cloaks I am using as examples with the upcoming webpage updates.  It will be a while before the new pages go live so here is a screen shot of that page to help get some ideas flowing.

Dave

Old 03-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

Those are indeed impressive examples (and mildly intimidating, but a challenge goal to aim toward)!

The weapons and shield are also somewhat ... well, sinister. My Paladin would never wield those, although I can immediately picture them in the hands of many other peoles' characters.

I notice that in every case where you show a specular map, it is half-size. Is that a preference for *all* submissions (including cloaks, house items, etc), or is it only preferred for weapons and sheilds?

I can shrink specular maps on future submissions, if desired. Just let me know.

Thanks again for your time and efforts in helping us all get up to standards!

Eden_Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Covic

Developer

Eden_Evergreen wrote:

I notice that in every case where you show a specular map, it is half-size. Is that a preference for *all* submissions (including cloaks, house items, etc), or is it only preferred for weapons and sheilds?

We usually shrink the spec and fresnel to 256 on our items, those maps inhance how light affects the object.  The main maps are the color and normal.

Dave

Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

Just resubmitted a shield based on this thread. If you don't like it then I am just going to get drunk the entire weekend and then re-evaluate on Monday :p

Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
Covic

Developer

rollenzekson wrote:

Just resubmitted a shield based on this thread. If you don't like it then I am just going to get drunk the entire weekend and then re-evaluate on Monday :p

Sorry to tell you that the fresnel map is not a black and white map.  Also you are not allowed to sulk and kick rocks, you have two shields going in all ready.  I would have liked to see your own design shape too, not resemble the one I posted above.  But using mine as reference will not get it kicked, dont worry.

Dave

Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

Ogre saw troll with nice shield and made one of his own. Not ogre's fault he make good shield. Ogre not gonna make bad shield because troll made one first!

In all honesty I was planning on making a round shield with a bubble in the middle for a while now, but the cross reinforcments were inspired by yours.

Besides I said if you don't like it not that you do not accept it.

Also for the record on the rework of the cutlass you just tossed back at me I have something very creative and I hope original for you. It's just going to take a while to paint since I almost hit 1K polys on it.