EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Chains of Eternity Beta > General (CoE Beta) > Adventure Leveling
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster
CoLD MeTaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,217
Default

I am thinking of cancelling my pre-orders.

Anyone know for sure if XP is on beta the way it will launch?

__________________


CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Dreamclouds

Loremaster
Dreamclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 75
Default

Why cancel?

Dreamclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
xanfer

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7
Default

If that the whole reason for canceling than all I can say is don't let the door hit you on your exit. I agree that xp from questing needs to have some boost, but its not something I am going to loose any sleep over. I have heard more people over the last 4 days complain about no beta buff to 95 max everything. Just play the game and have fun. If you have to take an afternoon to grind so what! Beta or Live game people today want instant gratification. 

xanfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster
CoLD MeTaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,217
Default

xanfer wrote:

If that the whole reason for canceling than all I can say is don't let the door hit you on your exit. I agree that xp from questing needs to have some boost, but its not something I am going to loose any sleep over. I have heard more people over the last 4 days complain about no beta buff to 95 max everything. Just play the game and have fun. If you have to take an afternoon to grind so what! Beta or Live game people today want instant gratification. 

I don't enjoy the 'grindfest', but at SOE Live they stated that they were going to change that. 

"Q: Are we going back to Chelsith to level to 95?A: Solo, Quest, and Group XP will be more appealing than going back to Chelsith."

I basically play this as a 'hobby' like i used to play paper D&D.  Right now reading is more fun.  I believed them, even when i know better.  I DO NOT want instant gratification, standing in Chelsith/wherever for 5-6 hours does not mean I earn any kind of ward.  I want to do quests/zones etc and level.  Of course we need PuGs back for that as well, and people on the server.

No you can't have my plat.  I know you won't miss me.

__________________


CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak
Rank: Colonel

Fansite Staff
Cyliena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,798
Default

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

"Q: Are we going back to Chelsith to level to 95?A: Solo, Quest, and Group XP will be more appealing than going back to Chelsith."

To be honest, when they said that, I translated it in my mind as "we're going to lower XP in all the grinding zones that everyone brags about, such as Chelsith and Sebilis." SMILEY

A boost to quest XP would be nice though. I'm over halfway through Eidolon Jungle quests and haven't even made 20% experience in level 92 yet.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Calthine

ZAM EQII
Calthine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,439
Default

Cyliena wrote:

A boost to quest XP would be nice though. I'm over halfway through Eidolon Jungle quests and haven't even made 20% experience in level 92 yet.

I'm at 30%, and I had my AA slider at 50% for a bit.

__________________





Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster
CoLD MeTaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,217
Default

Calthine wrote:

Cyliena wrote:

A boost to quest XP would be nice though. I'm over halfway through Eidolon Jungle quests and haven't even made 20% experience in level 92 yet.

I'm at 30%, and I had my AA slider at 50% for a bit.

Anyone tested the 'bumped up' quest XP.  Everytime I try and start BETA, the game just GPFs, "An Error has Occurred".

__________________


CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
Finora

Tester
Finora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,423
Default

I haven't half tried & I'm almost 93. I was just running through, exploring & falling through the world for a long while because I couldn't progress in the quest lines. Then I playing around in the solo dungeons dying quite a bit on my less than stellar geared lvl 92 self figuring things out.

I didn't use any potions, didn't go back and grind anywhere. Seems to be moving along at a decent pace. Then again I cut my MMO teeth on EQ1 and no leveling seems so slow as hell levels did there so...

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #9
Zergosch

Loremaster
Zergosch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 461
Default

Its not like the quest xp, is that low, its more like the lvl points you need are that high xp is % but you gain some amount of xp points.

If SoE drops the xp points needed for the level, everyone would notice that the quest "xp" is raised ^^ (perhaps someone not already notice that fact, if you know it already, dont care what i wrote ^^)

Exampel: lower lvl you need 300,000 xp points, 90 and above you need like 1,400,000 xp points, you can actual see those points by hovering over the %

-edit-

Zergosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Luhai

Loremaster
Luhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 679
Default

I didn't go the questing path with WL when we got to 92, instead I grinded instances. So i can't comment on how much better the changes on Quest XP are.

From what I've seen on beta so far I am not convinced that people will be more likely to quest in the new zones instead of grinding the usual stuff.

Quests gave me 9k (Eidolon) to 10k (Obol) XP at level 92.

Yellow single mobs in the overland zones gave around 110 XP, just like similar mobs in the Eastern Wastes. Yellow ^-Mobs gave around 150 XP. (Vitality and Veteran Bonus not included)

Also there seems to be no Bonus XP in the new solo instances. Solo or single up mobs gave exactly the same XP as if I had killed them in Eidolon/Obol.

I then went back and tried one of the usual encounter-heavy instances. Those mobs gave around 200 XP each + encounter bonus and they still dropped like flies.

All in all I don't see a significant improvement in XP gain by doing new content.

__________________
Luhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster
CoLD MeTaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,217
Default

Luhai wrote:

I didn't go the questing path with WL when we got to 92, instead I grinded instances. So i can't comment on how much better the changes on Quest XP are.

From what I've seen on beta so far I am not convinced that people will be more likely to quest in the new zones instead of grinding the usual stuff.

Quests gave me 9k (Eidolon) to 10k (Obol) XP at level 92.

Yellow single mobs in the overland zones gave around 110 XP, just like similar mobs in the Eastern Wastes. Yellow ^-Mobs gave around 150 XP. (Vitality and Veteran Bonus not included)

Also there seems to be no Bonus XP in the new solo instances. Solo or single up mobs gave exactly the same XP as if I had killed them in Eidolon/Obol.

I then went back and tried one of the usual encounter-heavy instances. Those mobs gave around 200 XP each + encounter bonus and they still dropped like flies.

All in all I don't see a significant improvement in XP gain by doing new content.

10k XP is 6 mobs in Sebelis and about 10 in Chelsith, I'm guessing the quests took longer than a few seconds.  Grinding will still be the most efficient way to level.

it saddens me that they took a living vibrant breathing world, and turned it into Pac-Man.

It appears you still need the gear from the zone to do the zone as well.

__________________


CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
Gargamel

Loremaster
Gargamel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 708
Default

Ok math time.

A) Do you think you should hit max level after completing the final quest in the solo line of the expansion, before doing any instances, grouping or raiding?

B) How much time do you expect to do the entire solo line to take you?

You now have 3 options:

1) Nerf heroic xp grinding in outleveled content to be < B

2) Have people level cap after 25% of the solo line in the new expansion so that time required is < B

3) Drastically incerase the xp required to level, and drastically increase quest reward / disco / first time kill XP, but leave mob kill xp alone (sort of an inverse of 1 but with the same result - nerfing mob kill xp)

Point is there really isn't any way to make leveling through questing faster than leveling through grinding, unless you massivly nerf mob kill xp, or intentionally devalue at least some of the new content.

I do think that you should be able to cap without running the same heroic instance a thousand of times, but this whole 'grinding is faster' cryfest is just rediculous.  

In a game that has mob kill xp -- Grinding will ALWAYS be faster.  Questing should always be more enjoyable.  

If you want to level faster go grind, if you want to have more fun then quest. If you find the quests not fun but just want to level, then go grind.

Personally I'll probably do a mix.  I'll run the overland solo stuff and soak up the story, run some solo instances, hop into the group zones with guildies, and then hit up some older zone grinding to top it off... no biggie.

__________________
Willlow
Halfling Troubadour Carpenter
Antonia Bayle


EQ2 Map -- The most essential eq2 plugin
EQ2LLInks -- Which mobs drop what from where
Advanced Combat Tracker -- The best combat parser and tracker


(NOTE: All of the above are approved and sactioned for use by SoE and do not violate the Terms of Service in any way, so use 'em!) .
Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #13
feldon30

Fansite Staff
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,424
Default

Balancing around the Leveling Speed of the top 1% of 1% is not a good design philosophy.

No matter what roadblocks you put in everyone's way, a certain group will figure out how to get from 92-95 in a few hours. I don't begrudge them. They aren't interested in solo/group content. They're interested in raiding, and raiding will start at level 95. Any time spent for them between 92-94.99% is time they're not raiding.

We heard at Fan Faire that we wouldn't have to grind in Chelsith (the old one not the new one) to get the best bang-for-the-buck level-wise. I hope that doesn't mean more nerfs to old grinding zones.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster
CoLD MeTaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,217
Default

feldon30 wrote:

Balancing around ...the top 1% of 1% is not a good design philosophy....

I agree 100%!!!!  but they have done this for years.

__________________


CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
Zergosch

Loremaster
Zergosch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 461
Default

I do personal both ways, doing quests, doing instances, but a reason some chars have to be done fast ways.... raiding ^^

I still think, anyone should play like he wants oO as long as no one is disturbed (which can be stoped, no mater what soe does.)

Thats why i still dont see the point of changing the system as it ist already.... the xp points you need where already raised to almost 4x points you need for levels sub 90....

Zergosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
Meare
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Lunar Tears
Rank: Royal Advisors - Sword, Shield, & Armor

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 25
Default

One must do the quest in the new expansion for access... so if that 20-ish hour to do all the instances and overland quest, and that gets you a lvl and a half, then it better to just do 4-6 hours of grinding to get the extra dps to just grind the quest getting nothing from it at max level and twinked gear. So why not just set up getting exp by quest so we do not spend more time grinding... wait a minute... that what soe wants, us to spend more time to do little content so we are inclined to spend more money and they can be lazy. As is, people lvl a toon from 1 to 92/280+ on a double exp weekend as is, so in truth nerf the old content zones exp and offer live buffs to a higher lvl, not full max out, but lvl 70/140 would allow new players to join in quickly. I mean, make a SC item for it and have SoE make profit from it as well.

Meare is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:08 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.