EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Look and Feel
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
Revanis

Loremaster
Revanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 88
Default

To the art designer dev: PLEASE I BEG of you to return the Cloak of Burning Dead back to it's original graphic! It used to match the Shiny Metallic Robe design perfectly but now it does not!

I know the new look is nice but the only reason i got this cloak to begin with is the matching set, even the robe i went to hell to get it just for the look, and now you changed it!

The least you can do is return the original graphic to this item or some other item and with out having to spend more hours to get it back!

   

This is what it looks like now:

Ugh i'm soo sad right now, call me vain, but I don't even feel like logging back in SMILEY

Revanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
GrunEQ

Tester
GrunEQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,307
Default

Oooo I see your point.  The new graphic looks too cartoony to me .  I hope they change it back and perhaps put that on a LoN card.

__________________
GrunEQ2

"O to be a voyager and a yoyeur no longer."

GrunEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
Kirstie

Developer
Kirstie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 613
Default

GrunEQ wrote:

Oooo I see your point.  The new graphic looks too cartoony to me .  I hope they change it back and perhaps put that on a LoN card.

I personally really like the new cloak graphic, but I do see your point about it not matching the SMR anymore.

We're working out the best way we can think of to get the graphic cloak back into the game and have a few quick ideas but it most likely won't be thru LoN or the Marketplace.

- Kirstie

Kirstie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Cusashorn

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cheeseland, USA
Posts: 14,919
Default

Kirstie wrote:

GrunEQ wrote:

Oooo I see your point.  The new graphic looks too cartoony to me .  I hope they change it back and perhaps put that on a LoN card.

I personally really like the new cloak graphic, but I do see your point about it not matching the SMR anymore.

We're working out the best way we can think of to get the graphic cloak back into the game and have a few quick ideas but it most likely won't be thru LoN or the Marketplace.

- Kirstie

So if it's not going to be through LoN or the Marketplace, that usually means a quest reward or monster drop, right? This would be for the better anyway.

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
Aera

Loremaster
Aera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 170
Default

I think it looks great on your character.

__________________
Aera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Revanis

Loremaster
Revanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 88
Default

Kirstie, you are the awesome. I like the idea of acquiring or re-acquiring such item through question or drops.

Revanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
Detor

Loremaster
Detor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,198
Default

Kirstie wrote:

GrunEQ wrote:

Oooo I see your point.  The new graphic looks too cartoony to me .  I hope they change it back and perhaps put that on a LoN card.

I personally really like the new cloak graphic, but I do see your point about it not matching the SMR anymore.

We're working out the best way we can think of to get the graphic cloak back into the game and have a few quick ideas but it most likely won't be thru LoN or the Marketplace.

- Kirstie

Perhaps some kind of repeatable quest to do after having finished the HQ similar to what Kander did for the Dark Mail HQ that allows you to obtain a full matching set of armor to match your gloves?

__________________
Comcast (SMC D3G-BIZ) & Verizon Cellphone (Droid Charge)

Detor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Bratface

Loremaster
Bratface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,227
Default

I like the new graphic, can we petition to get it exchanged for the skull we took because we didn't like the cloak at the time but do like it now?

If it had had this graphic back then I would have chosen it instead of the skull.

Bratface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus
Rank: Tirones

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,240
Default

Im in awe of how bad this new 'graphic' is. I can only presume it was copied from a 14 year old heavy metal band wannabee's bedroom wall.

I didnt think anything would top the stupid captains hat idea as far as being out of keeping with the world goes, but this almost did so.

P.S. I dont like it. Just in case that didnt come across.

Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
Aera

Loremaster
Aera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 170
Default

Are you kidding?  The only thing missing in this picture is getting rid of that hideous skull helmet (I mean honestly, who wants to smell their own breath when fighting a monster?) and sporting the captain hat.  TOOT TOOT

__________________
Aera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
KelsoWalker

Loremaster
KelsoWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4
Default

wow i must say i was disapointed when i logged in and found this cloak changed appearances.  The old cloak looked so much better.  and even a group of us - did this quest to get it specificaly so we could have the same cloak. 

We called it "the kewl kid cloak"

Was this cloak changed for a reason? or just somethign to do along with the update 51? 

If at all possible ,  I am sure a lot of folks would love this cloak changed back to what it was originaly.

__________________
KelsoWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
Fival

Loremaster
Fival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 34
Default

I can not think of any reason that there should have been to change the cloak look in the first place it looked great and now it looks like crap. This really makes me mad and I really want that cloak put back to the graphic it was before.

Fival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #13
Pink_Poodle

Shrine Maiden
Pink_Poodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hakurei Shrine
Posts: 168
Default

I think the cloak looks kind of 40k-ish now and fits the name, but yeah, I hope the original design is added back in soon somehow [maybe a quest or something I dunno]

__________________
Pink_Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #14
Ashlian

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 432
Default

Kirstie wrote:

GrunEQ wrote:

Oooo I see your point.  The new graphic looks too cartoony to me .  I hope they change it back and perhaps put that on a LoN card.

I personally really like the new cloak graphic, but I do see your point about it not matching the SMR anymore.

We're working out the best way we can think of to get the graphic cloak back into the game and have a few quick ideas but it most likely won't be thru LoN or the Marketplace.

- Kirstie

With the advent of appearance slots, you really need to keep in mind that there are a lot of us who will work on quests just to get an armor or weapon graphic we really like. We had at least four people in my guild do this quest precisely because they liked the graphic as it was, and because it matched the SMR.

If you want to add in new cloak graphics, which I'm all for, then leave the ones with advanced textures alone and do something like REVAMP the textures of the cloaks that came out initially. I would LOVE to see revamped Deity cloaks, and that texture the Cloak of the Burning Dead was changed to would do quite well for one of those.

__________________
Photobucket
Ashlian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
Blackluck2

Lord
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 53
Default

Any word on this?I did this zone specifically for the original cloak (for the appearance) , and with no disrespect intended for the zone designer, I have such dislike for the zone I will never with any other character under any circumstance do this zone again. (IOW, please don't make us go back to that place to get the orignally designed cloak.)

Blackluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #16
Valdaglerion

Loremaster
Valdaglerion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,870
Default

This cloak actually looks good with the new sootfoot magma armor which is what I swapped it to now. I would like to have the option of getting the original cloak look as well with another cloak as it matched my Tier 2 Conj Shard Armor set nicely.

Valdaglerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
xeyda

Loremaster
xeyda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 272
Default

Why was the graphic changed in the first place?  Although I like the older graphic, I agree that the new one (which certainly has 'challenges', like a LOT of clothing & armor graphics in this game) fits the "name" of the cloak better.  It seems kind of arbitrary.

xeyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #18
Cobalt Knight

Loremaster
Cobalt Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 72
Default

Kirstie wrote:

I personally really like the new cloak graphic, but I do see your point about it not matching the SMR anymore.

We're working out the best way we can think of to get the graphic cloak back into the game and have a few quick ideas but it most likely won't be thru LoN or the Marketplace.

- Kirstie

So, over 3 months and a game update later - any news on this?

I would really like to see this cloak graphic back in game, complimented my Dark Metal appearence set perfectly - not found anything before or since that I liked as much. 

__________________
Valltor

90 Paladin

Butcherblock Server
Cobalt Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #19
SilkenKidden

Loremaster
SilkenKidden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,039
Default

Cusashorn wrote:

Kirstie wrote:

GrunEQ wrote:

Oooo I see your point.  The new graphic looks too cartoony to me .  I hope they change it back and perhaps put that on a LoN card.

I personally really like the new cloak graphic, but I do see your point about it not matching the SMR anymore.

We're working out the best way we can think of to get the graphic cloak back into the game and have a few quick ideas but it most likely won't be thru LoN or the Marketplace.

- Kirstie

So if it's not going to be through LoN or the Marketplace, that usually means a quest reward or monster drop, right? This would be for the better anyway.

Ahummm.  My tailor would be very happy to craft this robe to your liking.

SilkenKidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:34 AM   #20
Revanis

Loremaster
Revanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 88
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Cusashorn wrote:

Kirstie wrote:

GrunEQ wrote:

Oooo I see your point.  The new graphic looks too cartoony to me .  I hope they change it back and perhaps put that on a LoN card.

I personally really like the new cloak graphic, but I do see your point about it not matching the SMR anymore.

We're working out the best way we can think of to get the graphic cloak back into the game and have a few quick ideas but it most likely won't be thru LoN or the Marketplace.

- Kirstie

So if it's not going to be through LoN or the Marketplace, that usually means a quest reward or monster drop, right? This would be for the better anyway.

Ahummm.  My tailor would be very happy to craft this robe to your liking.

Are you telling me that the metallic graphic can now be CRAFTED????????

Revanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #21
Morghus

Loremaster
Morghus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,105
Default

Hmm...its been a while since this has been discussed but with Kirstie leaving the team will this still get re-introduced as a cloak graphic in some way?

Morghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #22
Naubeta

Loremaster
Naubeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: England
Posts: 302
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Cusashorn wrote:

Kirstie wrote:

GrunEQ wrote:

Oooo I see your point.  The new graphic looks too cartoony to me .  I hope they change it back and perhaps put that on a LoN card.

I personally really like the new cloak graphic, but I do see your point about it not matching the SMR anymore.

We're working out the best way we can think of to get the graphic cloak back into the game and have a few quick ideas but it most likely won't be thru LoN or the Marketplace.

- Kirstie

So if it's not going to be through LoN or the Marketplace, that usually means a quest reward or monster drop, right? This would be for the better anyway.

Ahummm.  My tailor would be very happy to craft this robe to your liking.

Are you telling me that the metallic graphic can now be CRAFTED????????

It's a noob look. So why not?

Naubeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:12 AM   #23
Ashlian

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 432
Default

Morghus wrote:

Hmm...its been a while since this has been discussed but with Kirstie leaving the team will this still get re-introduced as a cloak graphic in some way?

I hope so! I still cringe when I see it in my bank, though I've kept it as kind of a memorial to the fact that devs will completely change an item graphic for no reason whatsoever, so caveat emptor.

__________________
Photobucket
Ashlian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #24
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem
Rank: Officers

Loremaster
Barx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Manors of Mithaniel, New Halas
Posts: 3,480
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Morghus wrote:

Hmm...its been a while since this has been discussed but with Kirstie leaving the team will this still get re-introduced as a cloak graphic in some way?

I hope so! I still cringe when I see it in my bank, though I've kept it as kind of a memorial to the fact that devs will completely change an item graphic for no reason whatsoever, so caveat emptor.

There's that "no reason" that always pops up on the forums. They changed it because the appearance made no sense for the name, whereas now the appearance and name match.

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #25
graewulf

Loremaster
graewulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 195
Default

Cusashorn wrote:

Kirstie wrote:

GrunEQ wrote:

Oooo I see your point.  The new graphic looks too cartoony to me .  I hope they change it back and perhaps put that on a LoN card.

I personally really like the new cloak graphic, but I do see your point about it not matching the SMR anymore.

We're working out the best way we can think of to get the graphic cloak back into the game and have a few quick ideas but it most likely won't be thru LoN or the Marketplace.

- Kirstie

So if it's not going to be through LoN or the Marketplace, that usually means a quest reward or monster drop, right? This would be for the better anyway.

EVERY item in this game should be available via quest reward or monster drop. Period. What do we PAY a monthly fee for anyway??

__________________
80 Wood Elf Ranger

80 Barbarian Mystic

80 Half-elf Shadowknight

.....too many others to list...



Cohort Chalybeius, Crushbone server
graewulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #26
Minoko
Server: Nektulos
Guild: Die Hards
Rank: Senior Officer

Loremaster
Minoko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 124
Default

I happen to love this cloak and the name fits better with the design it has now. However I agree the original graphic should be still available as I would be upset too if they changed something I liked to that extent. They could have made the quest have an option for either design as the reward or something.

I am not ever in favor in adding anything to LON as I absolutly hate that system. Of the two evils I prefer SC. LON gets too expensive.

I also wonder why any cloak that is craftable tends to have lame graphics. What is up with that anyway.

__________________
Forum lurker by day, EQII addict by night.
Minoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #27
GrunEQ

Tester
GrunEQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,307
Default

The only reason I suggested a LoN card was because I didn't like it.  I, too, believe everything should be available thru questing and playing the game.  Didn't want to leave the wrong impression.

__________________
GrunEQ2

"O to be a voyager and a yoyeur no longer."

GrunEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #28
Ashlian

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 432
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Morghus wrote:

Hmm...its been a while since this has been discussed but with Kirstie leaving the team will this still get re-introduced as a cloak graphic in some way?

I hope so! I still cringe when I see it in my bank, though I've kept it as kind of a memorial to the fact that devs will completely change an item graphic for no reason whatsoever, so caveat emptor.

There's that "no reason" that always pops up on the forums. They changed it because the appearance made no sense for the name, whereas now the appearance and name match.

Ahhh......so that's why so much of the armor with words like "silver" or "black" or nearly any other color I could name is not silver, black or anything resembling the description of the armor. I remember prior to the entire borrowed from WoW dressing room that the LAST thing I could use to decipher the look of any piece of armor was......the name. So why should anyone who looked at that cloak in the dressing room, thought NICE, and worked to get it as it was think that the devs might actually feel compelled to change it to match its name?

They'd have to change thousands of items in the game to make the item names come even close to the way they actually look if they were going to do that very often. So, in my book, that's really a poor excuse for the change. If they wanted a cloak with the "I belong to the EQ2 Biker Club" look, they could have put it on something else. Something many of us hadn't already gotten for nothing but the appearance.

__________________
Photobucket
Ashlian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #29
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem
Rank: Officers

Loremaster
Barx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Manors of Mithaniel, New Halas
Posts: 3,480
Default

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Morghus wrote:

Hmm...its been a while since this has been discussed but with Kirstie leaving the team will this still get re-introduced as a cloak graphic in some way?

I hope so! I still cringe when I see it in my bank, though I've kept it as kind of a memorial to the fact that devs will completely change an item graphic for no reason whatsoever, so caveat emptor.

There's that "no reason" that always pops up on the forums. They changed it because the appearance made no sense for the name, whereas now the appearance and name match.

Ahhh......so that's why so much of the armor with words like "silver" or "black" or nearly any other color I could name is not silver, black or anything resembling the description of the armor. I remember prior to the entire borrowed from WoW dressing room that the LAST thing I could use to decipher the look of any piece of armor was......the name. So why should anyone who looked at that cloak in the dressing room, thought NICE, and worked to get it as it was think that the devs might actually feel compelled to change it to match its name?

They'd have to change thousands of items in the game to make the item names come even close to the way they actually look if they were going to do that very often. So, in my book, that's really a poor excuse for the change. If they wanted a cloak with the "I belong to the EQ2 Biker Club" look, they could have put it on something else. Something many of us hadn't already gotten for nothing but the appearance.

Just because a vast # of things do not match name-to-appearance doesn't mean that it's not a valid reason. Cloaks should match appearance with name, since they are a particularly decorative armor slot. Many do (but yes, many still don't... there's lots with the generic white or bland appearances). It's not a poor excuse, it's a valid one, but making one item match appearance to name doesn't mean all the rest will.

Wasn't there something with that appearance that got delayed, or am I remembering someting else? Something about the cloak went in, but the appearance didn't make the freeze and had to wait until the next game update. I could be thinking of something different in that regard though.

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:36 AM   #30
Cobalt Knight

Loremaster
Cobalt Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 72
Default

Well.... looks like good news for the return of the original cloak graphic.

Currently on test, as a reward within the new Achievements system :

__________________
Valltor

90 Paladin

Butcherblock Server
Cobalt Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:24 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.