EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Swashbuckler
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #31
Dreadpatch

Loremaster

It blew at 80, and it still blows. With that said, so do most other level 80 class spells (except for assassin). Mystic- Can't even remember what it's called, Ancestral BS or something. I think I've clicked on it by accident a couple times. Coercer- Puppetmaster, Only good solo to proc hostage. horrible dps by itself. Troub- Countersong, takes about 5 minutes to cast and no one can even figure out if it actually works. Of the 4 level 90's I have, all of their level 80 class spells suck.

Alendril 90 Troubador 250 AA

Ribatio 90 Mystic 242 AA

Dreadpatch 90 Swashbuckler 171 AA

Delanar 70 Guardian

Blackghost 39 (BG) Assassin
Dreadpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #32
Navinjohnson

Hero

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Fair enough. SOH is used to mitigate a raid wipe thanks to silly conjies.

But seriously...

You had the presence of mind to hit Sleight of Hand after you saw your tank fail at the pull. But you were lucky he wasn't trying to rescue at the same time. That could have gone the other direction and wiped your raid very easily. For example, he rescues, you SOH. Tank fails again to lock the mob down because not only does he have a dumb conjy that rips on pull, but a dumb swashbuckler who thinks SOH is useful. That is all.

lol. You're right. There is so much wrong with this scenario that a discussion about SOH, just seems, well, silly and pointless.

Navinjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #33
Buggrit

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Fair enough. SOH is used to mitigate a raid wipe thanks to silly conjies.

But seriously...

You had the presence of mind to hit Sleight of Hand after you saw your tank fail at the pull. But you were lucky he wasn't trying to rescue at the same time. That could have gone the other direction and wiped your raid very easily. For example, he rescues, you SOH. Tank fails again to lock the mob down because not only does he have a dumb conjy that rips on pull, but a dumb swashbuckler who thinks SOH is useful. That is all.

To bad if a mob is targeting the tank and you SoH you give them a threat increase.

I use it on Ark HM all the time when were killing the explorer especially since he runs and chases after the group tanking ark sometimes it has saved the raid

so yes it's a crap ability but useless not even

Old 05-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #34
7foggynites

Lord

It's good to have distinctive abilities that aren't used all the time. The probelm is that you need enough of them to keep the game interesting. If there're not enough of them then you end up doing pretty much the same thing over and over and over. There's also this attitude amongst some players that any ability a class has MUST be useful in almost every situation, kind of like meleeing is useful to dps. The problem with this kind of thinking is that it reduces a diverse ability set to a simplified click-fest. Click 1 2 3 4 5 6, repeat. We NEED abilities that're contextual and not always needed.

I do not care for 1 2 3 4 5 6 gameplay. Adding more buttons to click doesn't make it more interesting. We need more unique content so that we can have something to use unique abilities on and not have 1 2 3 4 5 6 gameplay.

If you find yourself using the same combo's over and over and over then this is a hint that the combo's aren't needed in the first place and can just be removed from the class and replaced by more unique abilities that won't be used so often. This is actually why hotbars are so filled up in eq2 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 gameplay has unfortunately infested this game.

Remember Taunt and Kick from your EQ1 days? Perfect example of 1 2 3 4 5 6 gameplay.

Backstabbing is pretty much the same thing. For the first few tries it can be fun to backstab a mob in a solo situation. You have to manuever right and the click your key for the ability to strike at the right time. But after you do this for a time, it's just 1 2 3 4 5 6 gameplay. This happens very quick, maybe a few days. This is a hint that backstab and flanking abilities could be automatic - all you would have to do is move your avatar to the flank or back position and it would automatically give you the flanking/backstab bonuses. How this would work in combo with the different debuffs is another issue. But I find myself clicking the same abilities over and over again and I know this is 1 2 3 4 5 6 gameplay.

Perhaps what's needed is a combo-system that we can set at anytime to use a certain sequence or kind of ability in our combat manuevers. For example, if I flank a monster I could set the combo-system to use flanking ability #1 first, #2 second. However, if I find that using #2 first would be better for a certain monster-type, then I could switch the combo-set during combat to reflect the changed circumstance. And if monster-types are constantly causing me to switch combo-sets then perhaps we need to be allowed to set which combo's to use for which monster-type.

I don't know whether this combo-idea can work (is not the point of this post).

The main point is...

...Ultimately, if we're doing the same thing over and over, it's 1 2 3 4 5 6 gameplay.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #35
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator

Closing this down as it began 17 months ago.  Please do not Necro threads.