EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
Bhronn

Loremaster

Well I just came back to eq2 less than a week ago and decided to start a character from scratch. Up till this, I have been primarily a melee type person, and i decided to try out a wizard. In 4 days I am now at 67.Now I have a rig that allows me to set everything on extreme quality and the game looks good. I was tho, sorta put off by the particle effects of my class. The lightning and fire dots looked ok but the balls of fire, ice comet, chamber, and fission spells just look horrible. At the lower lvls I just figured the little throwy ball of red light would at some point get better.  It actually looks like i am throwing underhanded and playing catch with the mob. Meh ok. The I hit 50 and got ice comet. I was stoked and my first cast of it was a huge let down. Same glowy but blue ball this time and playing catch with a mob. I wont even go into the golden hammer for a spell line called flame chamber. how does that make sense? I realize there is some particle effects after the spell hits and those are ok. Mainly, as a wizard, i feel like an apprentice and not a feared mage so far in my career.Anyways you get my drift. before i never noticed particle effects because with melee its just sorta icing on the cake. With a caster, in my OP, its eye candy and one of the main reasons to be a caster. To see the lights go off per se.Of the last 5 games i played since I left eq2 over a year ago, this one has more depth then them combined. I am enjoying being back. With armor basically looking the same since release and other engine problems, I still believe that this game play mechanics combined with a new engine that was easier to work with for the devs would have been a much bigger hit.
Bhronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
Illine
Server: Storms
Guild: Apocalypse

Loremaster

If you want a big ball, fight a giant :pusually, spells depend on mob size :sI agree with you, some spelllook cool some are just disappointing.I'm a coercer and the only attack we have is a little white snowball we throw at enemis for any spall almost.Even our lvl 50 spell sonic boom has NO effect other than the little snowballs if the mob is far away. When I hit 50 I hoped it looked like a shokwave or something but no ...The hammer is cool though ... I have a AoE stun, and when you cast it, you can see as many hammers as mobs and it looks greqt.Illus have more luck, I think one one their stun (the solo one) gets a multicolor light above the mob. their 50 spell is a prismatic shower on mobs.so as a wizard, it's not the worst particule effect :p.the problem is that new spells are just updates of old, a fire ball lvl 67 will be better than a lvl 5 but will always do the same thing and so it's still the same spell and will have the same look. I too wanted to see explosions, real fireballs, an ice comet coming from the sky hitting the mob badly, fire chamber as a fire prison, but you have some nice spells like the cold spell that circles the mob with ice spires, or the ice stalactites falling on the mob ...anyway on raid I play extrem perf, so no particule effect lolthat way I'm not disappointed :p
Illine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
orchard54

Loremaster

I like all my conj spell particles SMILEYI <3 the golden hammer!woosh woosh woosh WHAM! tiny peices everywhere!!!!!!!!!Rocks falling on everything, frost freezing mobs, making them into ice cubes, huge breath of fire spewing forth from me catching the mobs on fire! Little fishies surrounding mob and I when using swarm pets, mixed in with the cool particles from Heroic Opportunities. The mage pet raining down lots of little fireballs on everything, the giant red sword slashing into the mob and breaking into tiny pieces! The giant swirls and pretty lights when casting Communion OOooOooo.I guess its all personal taste, my wizard is only 40, and I actually like a lot of his spells. Sure its a shame they don't change even a little throughout the levels but hey, I still find them pretty cool.My favorite is the wall of icicles from the wiz ^_^ I'll cast that even on single targets just for the look.

Nektulos

AMD Athlon x64 Dual Core 3.2GHz

XP Pro x64 Edition - 8GB GDDR3 RAM

SLI GeForce 8600 GT 512MB Video Card(x2)

22'' Widescreen LCD 1680x1050

orchard54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
Bhronn

Loremaster

The hammer is cool, i just didnt think it belonged on a spell line named Flame chamber. Nothing about the spell suggests its a golden hammer fx.Ive seen a few conj spells and yea most do look good. Like I posted above tho, with those certain few spells, the fx on them just looks bad. Even if the size of the ball is different per size of the mob, it still looks like I am underhand throwing it at the mob.Suggestions to the devs: Even eq1 changed char models and spell fx several times in its history. maybe with this new xpac, its time to breath some new life into the particle engine. I realize this engine is a beast to work with and one of the reasons new armors fx are hard to come by, but at some point to keep this game running, theres gonna need to be some real change. Not just different colored skins on the same fx.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
Aurumn
Server: Unrest
Guild: Executioners

Loremaster

I rather like some of the coercer effects. One has these smoky black tentacles whipping out (spell lash, I think), then there's the sparkle ring for Breeze, Mezz puts a swirly rainbow light over the mob, something casts a green skull thing... probably the gloom line. Mana Flow makes the target float up and stretch or something. *lol* We're not all comets and fireballs, but there's some nifty stuff there. I do agree that conjy's get a lot of the flashy stuff, though. The ratonga illusion makes up for it, though. SMILEY
Aurumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Kiara-

Loremaster

My all time favourite spell effect on my Inq is the gavel for Verdict.  It's awesome.  Especially cause right after that the mob goes squish SMILEY

Old 06-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Cynziel

General

You can make the particles bigger in your options window, ignore if you've already given that a whirl. ^^ Imo particles are annoying anyway I have mine almost turned off, I like some of my fury healing spells with the leaves swirling around but other effects I can do without. I'm a minimalist caster. He he.
Cynziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

I've always been irritated by particle effects in this game.  Not the spellcaster ones, the melee ones.  Why on earth do melee attacks have particle effects attached to them.  When I crack someone with a baton or kick them in the head, bright flashes of light are not required.  When I change stances, bright flashes of light are not required.  When I assume dragon stance, the giant flaming dragon that envelopes me is not required.  I am not a spell caster.  I assumed a stance, I did not cast a spell.  To me it seems like a cop out-  "Add flashy effects and maybe they won't notice the lack of variety in the combat animations."

Oh, and this should probably be moved to the 'Look and Feel' forum.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
DragonMaster2385

Loremaster

Well, I hope that when they finish the skeletal revamp, they will do custom animations for the races.
DragonMaster2385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
monstertruck1

Historian

ohh that was fast man! I'm a new player, and I've been playing onto my third week now,and I'm still at lvl 34 defiler, and i play a lot like 4 hours per day at least. Is there any tip how to level up faster? Did you solo or group?
monstertruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Yes, in some ways, Final Fantasy IV (sold in the U.S. as Final Fantasy II) has more inventive particle effects than EQ2. SMILEY
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:45 AM   #12
Bhronn

Loremaster

monstertruck1 wrote:
ohh that was fast man! I'm a new player, and I've been playing onto my third week now,and I'm still at lvl 34 defiler, and i play a lot like 4 hours per day at least. Is there any tip how to level up faster? Did you solo or group?
I soloed. But I also played the game from launch till mid faydweir expac when FoH disbanded. So I still knew where the quest completes were and so on. Ill make 80 by sunday or so. Maybe Monday since I am not familiar with RoK.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
monstertruck1

Historian

haha nice, i wanna be 80 by this monday too if i can.
monstertruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
FetishStar

Master

umm yeah, armor -really- needs to be updated, iam coming back for the first time and WHOA.... come on dev's give me something *NEW* like mastercrafted new armor would be nice! im so sick of seeing the SAME thing.and the spells...-really- should be updated. there's a lotta games coming out- you gotta update..........
FetishStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
Elorah

Loremaster

FetishStar wrote:
umm yeah, armor -really- needs to be updated, iam coming back for the first time and WHOA.... come on dev's give me something *NEW* like mastercrafted new armor would be nice! im so sick of seeing the SAME thing.and the spells...-really- should be updated. there's a lotta games coming out- you gotta update..........
They have been updating...  Take a peek at the State of the Tradeskills! -- last update 20 June for just a few of the recent changes....You can also look at the Game Update Notes for some info.Keep in mind that at level 20, you gain the appearance slots...  so you can wear any armor that your Character can normally equip in the appearance slots...  You will gain no benefits from those slots other then appearance..