EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-08-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
Moorgard

Developer

The following letter from our president, John Smedley, has been posted:

Hello Everyone,

First off, I'd like to say thanks for all of the wonderful ideas we received from you after my last posting. Having this ongoing dialogue is something SOE is committed to in a major way, and it's one of the biggest things you all asked for.  So you'll see an increase in our public presence, not just on our boards, but on a lot of the fansites, as well. And we've created a new position within our ranks, the Director of Community Relations, specifically to prioritize you, the community, within our service offerings.  Alan Crosby, previously EQ Community Relations Manager, will be stepping into this role, and all of SOE's community managers and representatives will report to him, while still maintaining close ties to the game teams, of course.  Under this new structure, we will become even more responsive, even more dedicated to customer focus!

I'd like to give you a general update on our games this posting:

Since my last post , we launched our first Adventure Pack for EverQuest II – "The Bloodline Chronicles" – and over half our player base is already playing it!   We are committed to releasing new content between Expansion Packs that goes beyond our live updates, and so we'll continue to release these Adventure Packs on a regular basis -- a first for our industry.

The EQII team is still hard at work on the existing game, and I think that all of the new content the team has added since launch is pretty amazing. In the past few weeks alone, we've added several new high level raids, an in-game mail system, Mentoring (something we're really excited about), two additional character slots for all subscribers , and we just added the new merchant system, which will allow players to sell items in game without having to leave their computer running. That's on top of the usual game additions -- dozens of new quests, spells, items, tradeskill recipes, etc. You can expect us to keep up this pace for a long time to come. Another part of the EQII team is hard at work on our first Expansion Pack, coming out later this year. We've taken a lot of your recent ideas and feedback into account, and we're working on some innovative ways characters can move and interact with the environment.  Also, we're taking the first step towards introducing PvP competition with the introduction of a new type of combat! 

In Austin , our Star Wars Galaxies™ team is focused on a big change to the game's combat system. The "Combat Revamp" is now live on the SWG test server, and it's getting very positive feedback from the SWG playerbase. The team is also putting the finishing touches on Star Wars Galaxies™:  Episode III Rage of the Wookies™, which launches in less than a month. The SWG playerbase is very strong, and we're continuing to put a lot of effort into making Star Wars Galaxies™ even better and adding new content all the time. The latest expansion pack adds Episode III content into the universe -- something our SWG players were asking for!

There's also a lot of action on EverQuest .  We're consolidating many of the servers to keep the game an exciting place to be, and we are investing a lot of time and effort in making this game an even better experience for its many fans.  EverQuest just had its 6th anniversary on March 16th. It's very gratifying to see such a strong demand for this game, but when you look at how much of an impact EverQuest has had on so many people's lives – not to mention the entire industry – it's not very surprising. We continue to hear remarkable stories of how people are touched by the game. In fact, we just had a player name her daughter Firiona!

One other subject I wanted to touch on is our Customer Service department. We've made some significant changes, and I'm proud to say our average telephone hold times are now 5 minutes or under. And our in-game response times are among the best in the business!  We know how important this is to our players, and we will continue to focus on decreasing these response times even further.

We're going to have a lot of new things to talk about in the upcoming months .  Our games continue to thrive, and we have a bunch of exciting developments coming out of our San Diego , Austin and Seattle studios.  We're enjoying the present and looking toward a very bright future for SOE and the online games industry , and I wanted you to know that we truly appreciate your support and feedback, and we're listening ! We're here to entertain you.

Thanks,

John Smedley

Moorgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:50 AM   #2
Vindicis

Loremaster

Doh....he said the PvP word!
Vindicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:57 AM   #3
Edr

Is the expansion coming later this year going to have the frogloks in it?
Edr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:02 AM   #4
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com

Details about the expansion pack will be at E3. Got this in my mail as a SOE press release:

4) E3 appointmentsAt the show this year we will be showcasing our first expansion pack(along with the second Adventure Pack) for EverQuest II. The team hassome innovative features planned that we know you'll be excited to see.We will also be showcasing a new service that we will be offering ourMMO players, as well as some exciting new PSP titles. Contact April andTamara to make appointments ASAP!
Innovative features = PvP, or something else?

Sess, Conjuror of PermafrostCyanide, Berserker of Permafrost
Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:09 AM   #5
InvidiaV

Woot! PVP!

InvidiaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:09 AM   #6
wayfaerer

Loremaster

Yes, can you please confirm/deny whether Frogloks will be in the expansion? Thank you.

Zizz, Dark Elf Bruiser, Nagafen

-formerly-

Phia, Mage, Rift/Briarcliff

Phia, Sorcerer, Aion/Nezekan

Khrin, Archmage, WAR/Darklands

Avert, Blood Mage, VG/Tharridon

Khrin, Undead Priest, WoW/Blackrock

Phia, Abyss Walker, L2/Lionna

Amon, Confessor, SB/Ardan

Sset, Iksar Monk, EQ1/Tholuxe Paells

Mental, Dark Elf Enchanter, EQ1/Sullon Zek

Zizz, Dark Elf Enchanter, EQ1/Tallon Zek
wayfaerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:23 AM   #7
Shandael

Loremaster

CLMarioMax wrote:

Innovative features = PvP, or something else?

Well, in reading this from the Press Release:

"We've taken a lot of your recent ideas and feedback into account, and we're working on some innovative ways characters can move and interact with the environment."

My feeling is that we may finally be able to sit on chairs and stools, and maybe even lie on beds.

Of course it could be the introduction of PvP or maybe a triggered zone event like the triggered wars in EQ1, ie; the ring wars in Velious and the player-influenceable war in Hollowshade Moor on Luclin.

Or I could be totally off-base...  LOL

In any case, as much as I hate PvP and the type of gamer crowd it consists of (no offense), there really should be some kind of hostile flare-ups between Qeynos and Freeport.
Shandael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:38 AM   #8
sorinev

Loremaster

PVP. /sigh  >.<  :smileymad:  :smileysad: Gonna keep my trap shut of 4 letter words until something more clarified shows up. . . .
90 Brigand, 90 Armorer

LU13 Fury bandwagon FTL.
sorinev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:45 AM   #9
Banef

Sweet PVP!
Old 04-08-2005, 07:57 AM   #10
Ak

When will we be hearing anything about the frogloks?
Ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:58 AM   #11
Hitman21

WOOT PVP news is Great. I hope if they only add 1 thing its fighting arenas in the towns. I miss just messing around in the arena when i was bored in eq1
Hitman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:09 AM   #12
Omegafoxx

Loremaster

as long as pvp isnt free like lineage i dont care. Free pvp is irritating, and /dual isnt any better, prolly something arena based, or group vs group.

Tho i would prefere if we didnt get pvp at all.

Kyeske - Blackburrow
Omegafoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #13
fasht

Omegafoxx wrote:

I imagine anything they add will be so entirely seoperate that if you didn't go looking for it, you wouldn't know it was there Frankly, I can't stand PvP... it has no attraction to me at all... BUT!! Lots of people enjoy it and the more people that play EQ2, the more people pay for it, and the better can be/longer it will last
fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:36 AM   #14
Wildian

Loremaster

PVP = A bunch of 'class balancing' IE nerfs nerfs and more nerfs.  It always happens.  Class A gets owned by Class B who whines and gets Class A nerfed. Then Class C beats Class A who whines and gets Class C nerfed.. and so on and so on and so on untill it takes a raid force to beat gnoll pup.

My 2 cents...

Xariack

48 Ranger / 49 Jeweler

Befallen

Wildian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:39 AM   #15
URM8K

Omegafoxx wrote:

as long as pvp isnt free like lineage i dont care. Free pvp is irritating, and /dual isnt any better, prolly something arena based, or group vs group.

i agree 100%. lets hope arena based or pvp server.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:44 AM   #16
Edr

Moorgard wrote:

Also, we're taking the first step towards introducing PvP competition with the introduction of a new type of combat! 

Its competion with a new type of combat, I doubt we are going to see players able to just attack other players.
Edr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:53 AM   #17
Sebastien

Tester

Hurray for PvP, and, immature as this may be.. for all the people who mocked me and gave me a hard time for saying PvP would find its way into this game, I give you all a great big raspberry of glee.  =P

Returning Player & Forum Critic
Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #18
Verdyn

Loremaster

PvP has its place, especially in a game where opposite cities are supposed to be at war with each other.  However, when I say PvP has its place, I don't mean like in WoW where level 60s go to newbie towns and kill everyone in sight and cause them misery because they're bored and enjoy others' pain.  Hopefully, this PvP will be tastefully done to not allow abuses to [Removed for Content] off opponents of PvP while at the same time allowing the combat that many people crave.  A well done PvP could make for a far better roleplaying experience and provide a bit of spice to the game.  Let's hope they do it right.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:22 AM   #19
sorinev

Loremaster

Verdyn wrote:  Let's hope they do it right.
And hopefully don't end up nerfing my character because someone complained loud enough that something was overpowered because they lost.
Edit: Exactly what he said ----->

Wildian wrote:

PVP = A bunch of 'class balancing' IE nerfs nerfs and more nerfs.  It always happens.  Class A gets owned by Class B who whines and gets Class A nerfed. Then Class C beats Class A who whines and gets Class C nerfed.. and so on and so on and so on untill it takes a raid force to beat gnoll pup.

Message Edited by sorinev on 04-07-2005 10:24 PM

90 Brigand, 90 Armorer

LU13 Fury bandwagon FTL.
sorinev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:07 AM   #20
Joxer

instead of putting alot of people from the team on a new exspansion i wish they would put some people on making "NEW ARMOURS" ooh ooh and maybe get some more "COLORS" into the game..

The : Grey/Brown look gets old fast tbh

Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:20 AM   #21
Bakual

Loremaster

Akoa wrote:When will we be hearing anything about the frogloks?
Devs have already stated that frogloks are already in, just not yet discovered how to release them. They will not come with an expansion, you need to find and complete a quests in order to play them.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:22 AM   #22
Bakual

Loremaster

JoxerNL wrote:

instead of putting alot of people from the team on a new exspansion i wish they would put some people on making "NEW ARMOURS" ooh ooh and maybe get some more "COLORS" into the game..

Umm, in general - "new expansion" means exactly this. new armor, new quests, new zones, new spells, new recipes, ...
Old 04-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #23
Eh

Thank you Mr. Smedley for the PvP. I can't wait for it   :smileyhappy:
Old 04-08-2005, 11:16 AM   #24
Suzina

Loremaster

An interesting, and very honest letter. I think we in the EQ2 department are getting the best of everything, which I approve. SMILEY
Old 04-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #25
Sute

With each thing i read from Smed i begin to wonder more and more if he even knows about the games he talks about.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:26 PM   #26
Tames

General

Bah humbug, no comment at all on reducing or shifting the nightly reboots that are impacting APAC Guilds :smileymad:

So much for promises...

"4am PST delenda est!"

Tames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:35 PM   #27
Homesli

General

JoxerNL wrote:

Moorgard himself has stated that they are working on adding new color to the enviroment as well as new items get added all the time and they are also working on the looks of items.They have a group of people working on everything at this point and personally I think it shows from there activity on the forums to the fixes and add ons in the live updates. This has been the most active communtity(players-devs) I have played besides some of the old MUDs SMILEY
Old 04-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #28
emr

Moorgard wrote:
The following letter from our president, John Smedley, has been posted:

The EQII team is still hard at work on the existing game, and I think that all of the new content the team has added since launch is pretty amazing. In the past few weeks alone, we've added several new high level raids, an in-game mail system, Mentoring (something we're really excited about), two additional character slots for all subscribers , and we just added the new merchant system, which will allow players to sell items in game without having to leave their computer running. That's on top of the usual game additions -- dozens of new quests, spells, items, tradeskill recipes, etc. You can expect us to keep up this pace for a long time to come. Another part of the EQII team is hard at work on our first Expansion Pack, coming out later this year. We've taken a lot of your recent ideas and feedback into account, and we're working on some innovative ways characters can move and interact with the environment.  Also, we're taking the first step towards introducing PvP competition with the introduction of a new type of combat! 

In Austin , our Star Wars Galaxies™ team is focused on a big change to the game's combat system. The "Combat Revamp" is now live on the SWG test server, and it's getting very positive feedback from the SWG playerbase. The team is also putting the finishing touches on Star Wars Galaxies™:  Episode III Rage of the Wookies™, which launches in less than a month. The SWG playerbase is very strong, and we're continuing to put a lot of effort into making Star Wars Galaxies™ even better and adding new content all the time. The latest expansion pack adds Episode III content into the universe -- something our SWG players were asking for!

Thanks,

John Smedley

DOH after messing up SWG with PVP now it is coming here.    As for "very positive feedback".   Maybe players like the combat revamp but meanwhile a quick perues of the SWG forum reveals all the same bugs exist for Droid Engneers that exist a year ago.  But since PvP has completely taken all of SOE development energy such things as using numbers in a droids name is still not possible.  Master Politician still have no benefits,  Meanwhile all the profession are talk about how they need to remake their templates.   Guild leadership voting bug exist.  The servers are full of ghost towns. 

BAH   :smileymad: 

Please challenge me to a duel, my ignore list is empty after the forced server move
emr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #29
Windego

Loremaster

Disappointed in the PvP direction.  I am glad to see the communication happening, however this just seems like the wrong direction to take when people are asking for more high end raid encounters, more content at all levels, viable tradeskilling.  If you have a team working on an expansion fine, if you are implementing simple dueling and fighting in the arena fine.  I hope you aren't planning some grand PvP game that has the possibility to detract developer time and resources from fixing/expanding the PvE universe to concentrate on this.  I think most people would prefer much more content for all levels in any new expansion vs any notion of PvP.  Perhaps one of those nice SoE polls when we login could guage just what the playerbase is after.  I think you guys can be more creative then throwing in the PvP bone.

Windego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #30
Blackfoot_cof

Loremaster

PVP.... I cancelled Coh becuase of it, and WoW and Swg and AC2.

Oh wait, it will be "completely voluntary". Yeah, I've heard that before, log in and you volunteer to be killed. *bah*

Is there no game I can go to avoid it's stench?

Oh, well I was really liking this game to.

Blackfoot_cof is offline   Reply With Quote