EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #181
Chandler E Munifice

Instead of griefing and whinning about PvP or lack therof why don't we ask a simple question?

"What will the addition of PvP do to enhance the EQ2 game experience?"

I submit the following answer.

Nothing.

Why?.. First and fore most it provides another channel of abuse for the player base. What I mean is that without specific and complete controls, the introduction of a PvP system would create exactly the kind of grief most who post here are complaining about. It would create harassment and other enjoyment issues. This is not as guess. There are many many other MMORPG's out there who the anti-pvp establishment can point to as perfect examples, they can be pointed to as "test cases" and the results are absolutly clear. Uncontrolled PvP is environment poision.

But what if there were controls?

Well in order to make the PvP engine both fit the mood of the game and be "grief free", a number rules and checks would have to be put in. Rules such as /duel only with consent and the inability to /duel more than x times per day. Perhaps certain locations specifically for duels such as arena. Perhaps even a fee to the city for usage of the arena? Absolutley NO advancement in level or skill for dueling. Maybe only allow PvP for certain game instances such as quests involving enemy city forces or allies.

But then with all these rules and caveats is it really PvP or is it more of an instanced event?

Why not just make PvP occur only in specific instances which would allow it to be involved in certain quests and locations (instance arena).

There are ways to make PvP work in a game such as EQ2. If done right it could be allot of fun and expand the storyline possibility.

However, I would be surprised if implementing PvP in such a way would appease most of those who are singing it's praises , and that is just persoannl experience.
Chandler E Munifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:23 PM   #182
Sebastien

Tester

If you read the Dev posts, making PvP an optional and instanced event is exactly what they are talking about doing. I don't know how you can say PvP will add nothing to the game when there are so many people who enjoy it.  That would be like someone who doesn't like tradeskills saying that having them in this game adds nothing, just because they do not personally enjoy them.  Or I could say that having Qeynos in the game adds nothing to it since I personally will only make Freeport toons. Don't you think that is being a bit unfair?

Returning Player & Forum Critic
Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:42 PM   #183
Chandler E Munifice

Don't you think that is being a bit unfair?

Well no actually. I mean... in game context...

The whole Freeport vs Qeynos thing is the entire story! In order to have a hero..you need an enemy. It would be a pretty *$%#&! boring game wihtout it.

Tradeskillers,  albeit maybe not your cup of tea, do provide the city (ie: the story) with a service by creating goods and materials. The stronger the economy the stronger the city.

PvP on the other hand..or "opening the arena"  just kills people and benefits no one. Blood is expensive. Since we are talking in game context and were I running either city..I see my citizens as commodities. Last thing I would want is my commodities killing each other for the hell of it.

Old 04-12-2005, 12:11 AM   #184
Leppa

PVP gives the game the badguys in a city vs city conflict.   How many mobs can actually, REALISTICALLY outsmart you?  Not alot if any.  An evil Player is infinitely more crafty and unpredictable and will the give the game something it does not currently have:  An intelligent person playing the part of the bad guy. What does PVP give to the game?  REAL bad guys and not AI, that's what it provides.
Leppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:23 AM   #185
Jarnvargr

Loremaster

Leppard wrote:

What does PVP give to the game?  REAL bad guys and not AI, that's what it provides.

The problem that many are having is the cost of PvP.  Not cost as in monetary or additional time, but rather the impact on the community and any potential impact tht it could have on gameplay.
The statement that this would be a brand new PvP system, not connected to PvE abilities is great news.  Now if SOE could only come up with a solution for the dubious social effects of PvP.
Jarnvargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:06 AM   #186
goryf

General

Wossname wrote:
The news PvP is coming in *any* form is extremely bad news. It cannot ever be optional because saying e.g. "No" to a duel will get you a haranguing across the zone wide chat. It's just another form of griefing and it used to be commonplace on EQ1. Griefing is the inevitable result of allowing PvP no matter what the pro-PvP lobby say, the anti-PvP lobby have seen it before in other games that implements PvP.

One of the things I like best about EQ2 is the fact I can log on and adventure knowing that the lack of PvP and quite a bit of work by the devs has made EQ2 pretty unattractive to the idiots and griefers. Long may that continue. If all the PvP wannabes are playing WoW and keeping EQ2 griefer free then GREAT. Keep EQ2 the PvE-only game it is and don't waste any more dev time on PvP.

/agree
goryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:08 AM   #187
goryf

General

Chandler E Munificent wrote:

The whole Freeport vs Qeynos thing is the entire story! In order to have a hero..you need an enemy. It would be a pretty *$%#&! boring game wihtout it.

Tradeskillers,  albeit maybe not your cup of tea, do provide the city (ie: the story) with a service by creating goods and materials. The stronger the economy the stronger the city.

PvP on the other hand..or "opening the arena"  just kills people and benefits no one. Blood is expensive. Since we are talking in game context and were I running either city..I see my citizens as commodities. Last thing I would want is my commodities killing each other for the hell of it.

A very interesting view.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:11 AM   #188
goryf

General

The simple fact that moderators have had to lock almost every single thread discussing pvp should be one of the biggest indicators about how this aspect of the gameplay is recieved by the players.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:17 AM   #189
SageMarrow

Loremaster

sabastien,

Would you like some wine and crumpets with your eq2 good sir?

I most certainly would!!!

This game is such a wonderful after work past time...no fun, no harassment, just click my macros and autofollow the main tank.

Oh hold on good sir!, my candles just blew out, cant have wine without candles and peace.

Ohh, looky here, this is my 6000th goblin this month.. goodie!

SageMarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:18 AM   #190
Faarwolf

Developer

The details of upcoming PvP have not been released.  There is no reason to attack one another over differing viewpoints regarding the topic, especially when nobody outside of SOE knows precisely what PvP in EverQuest II will entail.

Please play nice.
"Where once I enforced, I shall now enjoin."
Faarwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:30 AM   #191
Wossname

Loremaster

Faarwolf wrote:
The details of upcoming PvP have not been released.  There is no reason to attack one another over differing viewpoints regarding the topic, especially when nobody outside of SOE knows precisely what PvP in EverQuest II will entail.

Please play nice.

It is good to know that SOE are watching this thread. I hope you take to heart how many people are strongly against PvP in EQ2. I have expressed my opinion on the topic in full accordance with playing nice SMILEY
Wossname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:32 AM   #192
SageMarrow

Loremaster

LOL, that was funny.

Either way - it doesnt matter what the PVP IS A VIRUS community says.

Sales have to be met and unless EQ2 becomes the best fantasy driven PvE game available very soon it will die in the subsciption race in the next year. Games like DDO and Vanguard and Guild Wars and WoW and everything else will speed away into the sunset as far as subscriptions go.

So while yall can stand on that all you want, it doesnt matter - this game is seriously lackinging in the diversity department, as well as the fantasy department, as well as the storyline department.

It boggles me what game you people are playing that dont want this to be anything more than a macro punching mario party fest. Its really amazing to be honest.

There are so many ENFORCER fanboys, that stand on top of everything that SOE says and takes it like the holy grail.

can we have flying mounts please? NO- that will make combat evasion too easy...

can we have more races? NO- we have enough already...

can we have PvP? NO - they just attract the griefers...

can we have class specific anything? NO- the game is fine the way it is, i like looking like a guardian with my templar...

can we have open zones with exploration in mind? NO-thats for whimps, i love running around fearing for my life, it gives me a challenge to run and get my corpse from between 3 nightbloods...

Can we have more provacative outfits? NO-my 3 year old watches me play while i drink my wine and eat my cheese under candle light...

I will say it again, what are you people thinking that oppose any and everything that someone thinks is cool and interesting? This isnt the best fantasy game i have ever seen, on the level of being PURE fantasy based without PvP conflict. This isnt the best combat ive ever seen in an MMO, or any where near the best combat we WILL see in the near future.

Races dont matter

Classes in the same archetype soon wont matter, my bruiser will be a guardian yet!

you walk around broke as hell

the only mounts are expensive horses

no class specific armor/looks

no pvp

no diversity at all

What else do you people want??? And you walk around here like this game is the best crap since sliced bread and have 100 reasons why nothing should be changed. Simply a-[Removed for Content]-mazing how many of you are content with a new dungeon once a month with more static mobs to kill in your spare time for 21 bucks a month.

I could get 21 bucks a month to go buy bullets and go outside in the woods behind my house and kill squirrels for that matter, and its a bit more challenging and fun than sitting on a high end peice of electronic equipment clicking icons that do MAGICAL crap....

/rant off

Old 04-12-2005, 01:42 AM   #193
Faarwolf

Developer

Wossname wrote:

Faarwolf wrote:

Please play nice.

It is good to know that SOE are watching this thread. I hope you take to heart how many people are strongly against PvP in EQ2. I have expressed my opinion on the topic in full accordance with playing nice SMILEY

Like I said, try to not jump to any conclusions until the details have been released SMILEY
"Where once I enforced, I shall now enjoin."
Faarwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:09 AM   #194
Leppa

Faarwolf wrote:

Wossname wrote:

Faarwolf wrote:

Please play nice.

Like I said, try to not jump to any conclusions until the details have been released SMILEY

And don't forget how many are strongly FOR PVP in EQ2
Leppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:28 AM   #195
Sebastien

Tester

If SOE really wanted to poll players' opinions about PvP in EQ2, they would use an ingame poll (and perhaps already have). The boards are no indicator of this sort of thing whatsoever, and they are smart enough to know that.  There is a reason they are adding iPvP to the game, and its because they know that the majority of players want to see this.  Very simple. The vast majority of EQ2 players won't bother to post on this thread, and many haven't even seen it yet or read Smedley's letter.  They are loyal to the game because it's a good game, and they will evaluate new content as it is added.  Even most of the people who *do* read the boards probably have a wait-and-see attitude. The extreme anger and paranoia that comes from some of you is hard to understand really.  You are decrying SOE and claiming "end of the world" based on something you have not even seen or heard the faintest details about.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:40 AM   #196
Sebastien

Tester

Chandler E Munificent wrote:

Eh??? I have to admit that, meaning you no disrespect, I am utterly baffled by this one.  You say, on the one hand, that "the whole Freeport vs Qeynos thing is the entire story!"  Then, on the other hand, you think that allowing players for these cities to compete with eachother adds nothing to the game setting?  I don't see how you can possibly hold those two positions. One reason many of us have given for adding PvP or iPvP to this game is so that your choice of starting city would actually mean something. As far as your last paragraph, you have it all wrong from the Freeport point of view.  Lucan believes in strength through conflict.  He purposely throws his subjects at one another's throats, and teaches them to take what they want, so that only the strongest and most worthy rise to the top.  Survival of the fittest, order out of chaos, that is his way.  Or, as he says it, "There are many who seek the auspice of Lucan, but I only have time for champions." Blood spilt in an attempt to win his favor would simply tickle his fancy. Now, why might Bayle open up the arena?  First of all, you are reading way too much into the announcement if you assume that all the "competition" SOE is talking about will involve bloodshed.  They have talked about iPvP for over a year now, and they mean ways that players can compete without killing eachother.  Why would it be unrealistic for Bayle to host sports in the arena?  Didn't even benevolent rulers have things like archery competitions or jousting tournaments? And there is another reason Bayle would have to introduce competitive sport in her arena.  She knows a great conflict is coming.  She has worked hard to rebuild Qeynos, bringing many different people together, united in their common purpose to bring life back to these torn lands.  But she is well aware of her great enemy, Lucan, brooding and planning on the far side of the world.  Would she not be naive to simply sit idle, while Lucan prepared to mount an assault on her city?  Instead she would be training her militia, so they would be ready for that great conflict.  Wargames are a part of any military training. So, again, I just don't see your point at all.  I can't see how you can claim that these competitions don't add to or relate to the backstory.  On the contrary, they could not only add to it, but bring it to life, as the players themselves will participate in shaping the storyline that unfolds between the two cities.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:48 AM   #197
Chandler E Munifice

First off....most of my posts on this forum are when I am on lunch..their "understandability" is directly to proportional to my current coffee intake.

That being said...

I am not against a PvP system if it is done in the context of the game and in a  fashion that will not be mindlessly abused. Sebastian, what you described above are cases where PvP WOULD be in context. I think most people on this forum would not be against something that was done with the games storyline and base PvE function in mind.

What most here fear is open PvP. That would be total disaster.

and...btw... I am playing nice :smileyhappy:

Old 04-12-2005, 02:54 AM   #198
CanisLupos

Loremaster

John...

You never cease to amaze me...  In a great great way.    And that is saying a lot with corporate figures in our society.  You really do appear to care for the game, and more than that, for the people who play them.  At the risk of typing this and simply being seen as a suckup-  Thank you for all of the efforts that you and the folks at SOE haev put into these amazing pieces of software, for they are so much more than just a program-  They are living, breathing worlds, and they are made to be that way by those who create them, not just those who play them.

Thank you John.

Thank you all.

EverQuest II is the most amazing piece of creativity I have seen in the gaming industry.  Well done.

Ratts, Berserker of Mistmmoore
CanisLupos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:00 AM   #199
Sebastien

Tester

Chandler- SOE will never make this an open PvP title.  They have even said they would not likely ever make an open PvP server, let alone make existing servers that way.  It will just not happen.  If that's what you think people are worried about, then you are playing *too* nice. :smileywink: What the one-star bandits are saying on this thread is that even having people enjoying a duel elsewhere, in an arena, makes them furious.  Just knowing that someone is out there, PvPing somewhere, is wrong and offensive to them.  They believe, and are happy to restate over and over, that PvP is a virus that corrupts souls and destroys (virtual) lives.  They believe it is utterly impossible to make PvP content optional or fun.  And they believe that any form of player competition with ruin "their" class totally. I'm not even remotely exagerrating their points; that is the disturbing part.  :smileysad: Like I said in another thread, I come from an honor guild that hunts down griefers and combats RPKers for a living.  Our mantra is to defend those who cannot defend themselves.  In over a year of griefer-hunting, I have rarely come across the level of immaturity and zealotry that I've seen in this thread.  In fact, the only time I've seen more hostile people on the boards is when I try to ask people playing on the Test server a question. :smileyindifferent: Anyway, cheers to you for being a coffee fan. =)

Old 04-12-2005, 03:59 AM   #200
Dimidri

General

Faarwolf wrote:

Please play nice.

That's what I said too, but I got one starred (not complaining, I asked for it, literally).

You anti-PvP people need to chill. I'm not, nor have I ever been, a PvP fan, but the fact remains we know NOTHING about this PvP. It's going to be new, so all of your past PvP experiences that made you cry at night are irrelevant until we know more details.

Even an indication of change in a game makes this look like a WoW board.
Dimidri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:06 AM   #201
Trei

["... PvP on the other hand..or "opening the arena"  just kills people and benefits no one. ..."] Where exactly did you read that it would be a direct playerkilling type of PvP? Infact I seem to vividly remember SOE mentioning a new system which they dubbed at the time IPvP, for indirect player vs player. PvP does not = PK and PK does not = the only form of PvP

>>----Trei------>
Trei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #202
Tagwrath

Loremaster

Sebastien wrote:

Tagwrath wrote:

Sorry, I have no problem saying no...Do that all the time I get group spammed....I don't mind that part really, since invite to group is real closer to the inspect and ignore areas of the pop up. But, if SOE does a /dual that is not going to be an accident. I don't want to PvP, I want to do the quests or maybe just run around a craft I don't want to say "no" every couple of hours (on a good day) or evey couple of minutes (on a bad day) because I have a bunch of people that want to show me their better stats and weapons and armor.

I totally agree.  I don't want to see a /duel command.  Instead I'd like to see the option to go to competitive instances (ie, the Arenas!), where you will be matched up with other players who are interested in PvP, and around your level.  That way folks like you just won't be harassed.  Sound better?  I do want PvP, but I don't want it to be forced on people like you.  I just want to have that content available for those of us who enjoy the challenge and competitiveness of it.

I DON'T CARE!!!! You want to show that you're better, get  higher in level. That shows me you are better than me [...]

I totally disagree.  Being a higher level does NOT mean you are "better"!  I'm really surprised to hear you say that.  Being a higher level is a function of one thing, and one thing only: time.  In this game, I play about half the time with my exp off, so I can see more sights while they are still challenging, and spend more time with slower-leveling members of my guild.  Does that make me "worse"?

No, it doesn't make you worse. I've been playing since launch. I average about 20 to maybe 30 hours (majority on Sat/Sunday) a week, due to my work shcedule. My highest character is lvl 22, if I followed how other players played I should be close to 50 by now, and alot of those at 50 work as much as I do in RL and can spend as much or less time in game. Therefore they are better than me. I'm paying for the fun, I don't care if Sony open up max lvl to 100 and it takes me 5 years to get there, as long as it's still fun I'll be playing, and those that are higher lvl are better than me. Gives me something to work towards.

What ever, from what I've heard WoW is losing people to EQ2, so that should say something.

People are leaving WoW mostly because it is a very simple game that gets very boring very fast.  WoW has non-PvP servers (the majority of them), so I really doubt they are leaving WoW due to any PvP related politics.  It has more to do with being bored and done with that game, and moving onto something new.

And Sebastion, you wanna let the rest of us know where SOE has been saying for 2 to 3 years that EQ2 will have PvP?

Never try to call a PvPer on a bluff.  My poker face is better than yours. =P

"Though EverQuest 2 does support controlled Player vs. Player combat (PvP) in forms of dueling, there will be no PvP server at release. The EQ2 team plans to develop a state of the art PvP system. They said if they want to come out with something, they won't just put it out there right away, they will make it grand! So, PvP fans, look forward to some awesome features in PvP combat and servers in EQ2's future!"  (mid 2004, click here for source)

"The focus of our initial release is making a great player vs. environment game, as we feel this is the foundation for any successful MMOG. We will support PvP in the form of duels, both one-one-one and group vs. group. It is unlikely we will incorporate larger-scale PvP by the time we launch. We would rather wait to add compelling and entertaining PvP after we ship instead of rushing and releasing it in an incomplete state."  (quote from Moorgard, early 2004, click here for source)

"
Our intent is to support two types of PvP within EverQuest II. One is a structured and competitive form of PvP that does not allow the players to directly fight other players, and will be available as an optional form of gameplay on all servers. No, this is not a new form of the PvP Flag. It is currently nicknamed IPvP, which stands for Indirect Player versus Player. More information will be released in the near future about this system. Our second form of PvP is the traditional EQLive server rule sets.

Other features, not directly considered PvP, that we will support include: player duels, competitive arena-style party combat with other player parties, structured guild wars (with repercussions and rewards), and other forms of consensual player versus player combat/interaction. These other features will be developed in both initial development and later LIVE development."  (quote from E.J. Moreland, Mechanics Lead designer for EQ2, early 2003, click here for source)

Should I keep going?  As I said, PvP content has always been planned for this game.  I have no idea, honestly, where some of you got this idea that EQ2 was going to be a pure PvE game.  Moorgard never told you that either.  He simply said that PvP would not come right away, because they were choosing to focus on other things.

Heh...Thanks for the info, BTW I wasn't trying to call a bluff. I deal in facts, so I wanted to know the facts. Haven't seen this, 'course I didn't know about EQ2 till the last Beta Test launch around October 2004, the one prior to launch. Again thanks for the info.

Thank you. Flame on....
                       ^Smart aleck comment here, pay no attention to that.
This isn't a flame.  I hope you learned something new though. =)

Nakuru Starblade, Kerra Ranger of Qeynos
Leader of The Qeynos Libertarians
On Antonia Bayle
Tagwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:15 PM   #203
ginfress

Loremaster

Sebastian wrote:

What the one-star bandits are saying on this thread is that even having people enjoying a duel elsewhere, in an arena, makes them furious.  Just knowing that someone is out there, PvPing somewhere, is wrong and offensive to them.  They believe, and are happy to restate over and over, that PvP is a virus that corrupts souls and destroys (virtual) lives.  They believe it is utterly impossible to make PvP content optional or fun.  And they believe that any form of player competition with ruin "their" class totally.

I'm not even remotely exagerrating their points; that is the disturbing part. 

After playing the following games:Ultima online, Anarchy online, Shadowbane, EQ1, WoW, Shadowbane it easy to see how the PvP community is full of people who *$%#&! other people over and over again in their uber way of thinking. Some of you might be different, as certain pvp-[Removed for Content] are allowed to play the bad name people have for the PvP community will remain. Due to those past experiences I consider pro-pvp players the lowest low life scum possible in any game community. If you think the PvP community in this game will be different please enlighting me with your knowledge. Until then i avoid them as the plague (bit more difficult with another plague going on now...which already has shown that some people always like to grief others where they can)

I dont want to get a duel window up because some 13 year old baby thinks its fun to duel. I dont want to read OOC where some [Removed for Content] is bragging how good he/she is with *$%#&!ing people over. That is destroying my game fun. If you think thats bad...well your a PvP player, i didnt expect less.  Put those that like to grief others on a seperate server, just like eq1. That way they can do what they want, far away from those that hate PvP. It will be the only way to get rid of the pro and against PvP threads. The griefing already started by them on these forums, its just a matter of time before they start to grief us when playing our game too.

And dont worry about my stress Sebastian, its not there. Another false assumption you made about me. Matter of fact i had a great time so far in this game and will play it for many more years SMILEY

Message Edited by ginfress on 04-12-2005 03:16 PM

ginfress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:21 PM   #204
ginfress

Loremaster

"Though EverQuest 2 does support controlled Player vs. Player combat (PvP) in forms of dueling, there will be no PvP server at release. The EQ2 team plans to develop a state of the art PvP system. They said if they want to come out with something, they won't just put it out there right away, they will make it grand! So, PvP fans, look forward to some awesome features in PvP combat and servers in EQ2's future!"  (mid 2004, click here for source)

"The focus of our initial release is making a great player vs. environment game, as we feel this is the foundation for any successful MMOG. We will support PvP in the form of duels, both one-one-one and group vs. group. It is unlikely we will incorporate larger-scale PvP by the time we launch. We would rather wait to add compelling and entertaining PvP after we ship instead of rushing and releasing it in an incomplete state."  (quote from Moorgard, early 2004, click here for source)

"
Our intent is to support two types of PvP within EverQuest II. One is a structured and competitive form of PvP that does not allow the players to directly fight other players, and will be available as an optional form of gameplay on all servers. No, this is not a new form of the PvP Flag. It is currently nicknamed IPvP, which stands for Indirect Player versus Player. More information will be released in the near future about this system. Our second form of PvP is the traditional EQLive server rule sets.

Other features, not directly considered PvP, that we will support include: player duels, competitive arena-style party combat with other player parties, structured guild wars (with repercussions and rewards), and other forms of consensual player versus player combat/interaction. These other features will be developed in both initial development and later LIVE development."  (quote from E.J. Moreland, Mechanics Lead designer for EQ2, early 2003, click here for source)

Should I keep going?  As I said, PvP content has always been planned for this game.  I have no idea, honestly, where some of you got this idea that EQ2 was going to be a pure PvE game.  Moorgard never told you that either.  He simply said that PvP would not come right away, because they were choosing to focus on other things.

Didnt know about this or i wouldnt have started to play this game. So i was wrong about this subject, can happen SMILEY

ginfress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:12 PM   #205
Sabresiberian

Loremaster

One of the things that greatly disappoints me is the problems in graphics. I mean things like floating dens; PCs, NPCs, and mobs disappearing into solid objects; falling through the world; invisible npcs and mobs that shouldn't be invisible; feared mobs and characters running through walls; inability to target mobs standing right in front of you because the game decides you can't see them. I am disappointed that I can't run with performance set to balanced in many areas of the game, even though I have a 6800GT OC graphics card, AMD64 3400+ processor, a gig of RAM, and turn off all other programs when I run EQ2. Though the game is beautiful even run at extreme performance I love the extra quality when I use the higher settings which I can use in non-combat  and outside situations. I read that with the hardware I have I should be able to use the medium graphics settings but I find this laughably optimistic in many areas of the game, particularly inside. I'm so glad SOE has dedicated EQ2 to the high quality graphics we enjoy but it is frustrating to me to not be able to run in balanced throughout the game. So much good, I hate to focus on the negative but I really would like to see improvements in these areas. Thanks for the quality game you have provided thus far! SMILEY
Sabresiberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:04 PM   #206
Chandler E Munifice

:smileytongue:

errr.... anyone know how much tea is in China?

I mean...Sabresiberian  .. nice post and all but what does that have to do with the PvP topic?

Old 04-12-2005, 08:25 PM   #207
SageMarrow

Loremaster

Chandler,

lol, did you totally forget that this post was NOT about the PvP topic? and more than likely he was responding to the OP???

oh the horror if he didnt come here to shoot up the drama another notch...
Old 04-12-2005, 08:55 PM   #208
Chandler E Munifice

Ohhh so he was looking to re-rail a de-rail..got it... I'm going to go get more coffee :smileywink:
Old 04-13-2005, 01:44 AM   #209
run

oh devs give us just one zone where pvp is free for all...., put nothing quest oriented in it, just make it "the war front",  plus the arenas and any other cool ideas such as archers contests, or jousters, the more the merrier......but just one zone to duke it out in puuu-uhlease!!!!!!  With no /duel to keep non pvpers happy, and a promise no quest content in that zone.... btw great tweaks and additions to the game, it was very linear, it is getting better thx. oh and one more thing, flight....flying mounts, make my collector edition dragon breakable to fly with, make it hard to do but somekind of flying mounts to bypass time wasted when running, its so neat to fly over a world, especially one as beautiful as yours....MAYBE i should lay off the coffee too, but it never hurts to ask.....and also eliminate spawn time, we are supposed to go kill mob X, not conjure mob X, then kill him, kills fun and immersion, and the storyline...i had better shut up now...
run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:11 AM   #210
B

I think some of you are over reacting.  We don't even know what kind of pvp they're planning.  I'm a big proponent of consensual pvp though, so this intrigues me.  The SOE devs would be pretty dumb to suddenly change all the servers into an open pvp environment, or even open factional pvp.  It's a bit ludicrous to me that people even thought that they would do this.  If anything I suspect it would be in an arena type area,  where you have to zone in/enter voluntarily.  I don't think SOE plans pvp to be a major thing in Eq2 (rightly so, I don't think it was really designed to have pvp being a major part of the game).  It's going to be like Eq1 I bet, a little fun diversion on the side when you're bored to tears killing computer controlled mobs.

I dont want to get a duel window up because some 13 year old baby thinks its fun to duel.

It wouldn't be that hard for SOE to place a little bitty box under options that you can enable that says "block all duel challenges".  Which I hope they do, *if* they have duels introduced into the system (you don't even know they'll have duels at this point, do you?)

And as far as people harassing you if you decline--I see people harass other people in game now for stealing xx mob, what's your point? :p Place on ignore list or a quick tell of stop harassing me or I will report you usually stops them cold.

Wait and see before crying. 

B is offline   Reply With Quote