EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Boramyr

Loremaster

So I had an idea for kind of a fun fulff thread.  Lets name Rangers from Fiction and What kinds of weapons they wield and see how many we can come up with.  Any book or movie works but the character deosn't have to be called out as a ranger but should really stand out as an example of what a Ranger means to you.  And I'll let someone put the Obvious Salvatore Choices in later and just start off with two of my favorites. 

Lets use the format

Name   Book(Author)/Movie  Weapons. 

Edgtho the Silent from The 13th Warrior.  Dual Wields Daggers and a Short Sword. 

Grégoire de Fronsac from Brotherhood of the Wolf.  Dual wields Short Swords. Pistol and Hand to Hand.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
graewulf

Loremaster

Nice idea!

Edgtho is probably my favorite ranger. I'm glad someone else noticed him it too. Although, in the movie, he wielded a short sword and hand axe (sort of a tomahawk really), though he did off-hand a dagger a couple of times when he was being sneaky.

I'll go with a Salvatore reference, but not the one'd you'd probably think. Andacanavar from his Corona series of books. Big Barbarian Ranger that didn't dual-wield, but used a two-handed sword.

Both were Northmen, too!

80 Barbarian Mystic

80 Half-elf Shadowknight

.....too many others to list...

Cohort Chalybeius, Crushbone server
graewulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Dolgan

Lorekeeper

Martin Longbow (Condoin) from Raymond E. Fiest's riftwar saga.  Long bow and sword.  Tracking skills of an elf for a human.

Any of the Leah boys from Terry brooks's shannara timeline.  Bow, sword, tracking etc.

Luthien Bedwyr from Salvatore's Crimson shadow timeline

Finn and his partner from Ghosts yet to be.

Bowman from Druss the legend.

Caleb Condoin and Talwin Hawkins from Fiest's conclave saga.

Edit: Tristan from King Arthur.  Bow and had a falcon.  aloof.  The only character I liked from both the movie and the book.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #4
Tommara

Loremaster

Chya Roh, a ranger in the Gate of Ivrel/Morgaine series by C.J. Cherryh.  Chya Roh featured heavily in the Fires of Azeroth book of the Morgaine series.  World of Warcraft players would recognize "Azeroth".   The finale in Diablo might also be related to the Chya Roh character - maybe somebody in Blizzard's dev team is a fan of the Morgaine series too.

His weapon?  Here's an excerpt from the Epilogue to "Fires of Azeroth":

"Sin took the aged bow into his hands, reverently handled the dark, stange wood, of design unlike any made in Shathan, and strung it with great care.  It was uncertain whether it had the strength to be fired any longer; it had been long since its master had set hand to it.  But one arrow they had brought, green-fletched, and Sin set that to the string, drew back full, aimed it high into the sun.

It flew, lost from sight when it fell.

He unstrung the bow and laid it within the arch of the Gate.  Then he stepped back and gazed there a last time.

"Come"  Ellur urged him.  "Sin, do not grieve. The old bowman would not wish it."

Tommara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Ranja

Loremaster

Dolgan wrote:

Martin Longbow (Condoin) from Raymond E. Fiest's riftwar saga. Long bow and sword. Tracking skills of an elf for a human.

Any of the Leah boys from Terry brooks's shannara timeline. Bow, sword, tracking etc.

Luthien Bedwyr from Salvatore's Crimson shadow timeline

Finn and his partner from Ghosts yet to be.

Bowman from Druss the legend.

Caleb Condoin and Talwin Hawkins from Fiest's conclave saga.

Edit: Tristan from King Arthur. Bow and had a falcon. aloof. The only character I liked from both the movie and the book.

Padashar Creel, Panama Creel or Garet Jax all from the Original Shanara series.

Also, Elbryan from RA Salvatore's Demon Wars Saga

All used swords and Elbryan especially was a master swordsman.

Thoghmor, 70 Troll Bruiser

Rotir, 90 Dark Elf Swash

Terrano, 82 Dark Elf Dirge

Aymon, 90, Barbarian Shadowknight

The Destroyer of Worlds:

http://s7.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=84341
Ranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Boramyr

Loremaster

And nobody has yet mentioned

Aragorn  from Lord of the Rings  who wielded a Longsword. 

Old 02-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Ruairi

Lord

I must be the only Ranger in MMOs whose role model from fiction is Hawkeye

He takes crap from no one and bows to no one.

Happiest in the Wild and gets the Lady

DW Tomahawks, of course

Ruairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Solaar Wynd

Loremaster

I've always viewed the classical Robin Hood as a Ranger-type.  He's certainly more Ranger than thief.  The Merry Men contained several different "classes", but Sir Robin of Locksley was the woodman, tracker and bowman par excellence.

I'm glad Aragorn was brought up.  Back when E. Gary Gygax and friends created D&D, the first fantasy rpg, they almost certainly designed the Ranger class after Aragorn.  The class has evolved since then, adding dual-wield and bow specialties (among other things) in AD&D and all other rpgs, both paper and, but I will always view Aragorn and his "Rangers of the North" as the "archetypical Ranger" in rpgs and fiction.

Solaar Wynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
Dolgan

Lorekeeper

Ranja wrote:

I tend to think of the creels as rogues rather than Rangers.  Panama (Brigand) Padashar (Swashy).

Aragon not brought up due to everyone knowing him from the movies or books.

Trying to think who would fit the ranger profile from Wheel of Time.  anyone?

Old 02-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
glowsintheda

General

The Aiel as a race are pretty rangerish, they pretty much all use spears and knifes.

Perrin could also be sort of classified as rangerish, what with his wolf affinity, mainly uses an axe.

While not a prime example Fitz-Chivalry Farseer from the Assassin's series by Robin Hobb has rangerish tendencies too, although a lot of them come from his innate magic that gives him a bond with animals, much like Perrin's.(excellent series of books by the way, would definatly recomend them, the liveship traders, and the tawny man sets to anyone, all in the same world and all interconnected even if the lifeship books don't exactly seem so when you are reading them at first.)

Bernard from the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher (also a great series), has fury crafting related to earth and growing things (fury crafting=controling the spirits of the land and having one or more spicific furies that you have a close bond with that help with interacting with others of their kind, earth, water, fire, air, wood, and metal)  Both wood and earth crafting give him great tracking abilities, wood crafters in this book are also outstanding archers (because they have innate control over the bow and the arrows) and earth crafters can draw great strength from the earth, as long as they are touching it.  He usually uses his bow, but also occasionally uses swords or large (usually wooden) bludgening weapons.

Richard Cypher/Rahl and Chase from the Sword of Truth (Terry Goodkind) books could both be classified as rangers, although Richard also has a lot of other stuff going on as well, but both are outdoorsmen and defenders of others.  Richard pretty much sticks to his sword, but Chase uses [Removed for Content] near every type of weapon known to man from what I remember.

Am sure there are more, but as this list as a whole shows, being a ranger isn't about what kind of weapons you use, its about an attitude and a way of life that takes you away from society out into the wilderness to protect those that need protecting.

glowsintheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:25 AM   #11
Tommara

Loremaster

Dolgan wrote:

Ranja wrote:

I tend to think of the creels as rogues rather than Rangers.  Panama (Brigand) Padashar (Swashy).

Aragon not brought up due to everyone knowing him from the movies or books.

Trying to think who would fit the ranger profile from Wheel of Time.  anyone?

Yes, I deliberately didn't mention Aragorn because of the obviousness.

I despise the Shannara books, they're such an obvious rip off, and so incredibly unoriginal, that I can't stand them (and if anyone takes offense at this, please read Tolkien first.  If you have, and still think I'm wrong, let me know and why, and I might read another Shannara book or two.  I bought the first 2 or 3, but haven't been able to make it beyond the first one - almost done, but lost interest in it, because it's such an obvious Tolkien rip off that it's laughable.)

Old 02-07-2009, 04:46 AM   #12
Tommara

Loremaster

glowsinthedark wrote:

Am sure there are more, but as this list as a whole shows, being a ranger isn't about what kind of weapons you use, its about an attitude and a way of life that takes you away from society out into the wilderness to protect those that need protecting.

Absolutely - you've nailed it.

However, after playing an EQ1 ranger, I think it's the bow (and dps that goes along with it, that didn't happen when I played EQ1, although it might have occurred after I quit.)  that distinguishes me from a paladin (and that's how I want to play a ranger - a paladin with ranged abilities, minus the plate and heals). 

Rogues fit well with the expected skill set, but they don't fit the "good" alignment I expect of a ranger.  The EQ2 assasin is a wonderful rogue, but it's not a ranger. There's really no logical reason to associate "bow" with "ranger" and "good" except for literature that's entirely made up, some better than others, but none of the authors have the ability to dictate to us how we should we play our rangers.  However, I think it's reasonable for game devs to assign one class as being the best archers, and I think it's reasonable that they choose ranger to be the best archers.

I love the EQ2 implementation of the ranger - it's the best I've ever played except for Link in the Zelda series (who is too uber to be seriosly considered as balanced in an MMO ), and I've played a lot of ranger types in games that's given me the option (EQ1, Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, Earth and Beyond, Dark Ages of Camelot, Final Fantasy, Horizons, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, and non-MMo's, but multi-player, such as Diablo, Balder's Gate, Dungeon Siege, Sacred, Titan's Quest, etc.)

Old 02-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
shadowedwolf

Loremaster

Sadly, most of my books are in storage and can't remember much from all of them at the moment, but as I glance over at the rack containing my DVD collection, I can see three movies that stand out as having MY vision of a Ranger thrown in...

There is Susan, from The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. She strikes me as the sterotype of a Ranger more than an actual Ranger, but I remember seeing the movie and going, 'ah, Ranger-girl.' Maybe it was the cloak, quiver full of arrows and the long bow.

Another one is Faramir, from LotR. His introduction struck me as being more scout than warrior, as does various dialogue. I also seem to recall (from the book) that while not trusting Golem, he treated him well. From what I remember from the books and what I've seen in the movies.... while lacking convictions as strong as others in the series, Faramir was still willing to fight and die for the things he held dear. And his willingness to do so, as well as his willingness to treat Golem fairly even though he held contempt for him... make him Ranger-esque. And ... for the life of me, all I remember him carrying as a weapon was a long sword and bow, though maybe there was more...

Lastly, and this might be a bit of a stretch, but I don't think so... is Malcom Reynolds from Firefly. I think of him more as a Ranger than a Rogue because even living out on the edge of society (and space) he held stong convictions to do what was right as opposed to 'what was best.' For example, taking in River and Simon, even after finding out they were wanted, wasn't the best thing for him or his crew but he did it because it was right. I liked that his decsisions weren't made based on profit, but what he deemed to be right. I can think of many things his did in the shows short life that make me view him more as Ranger than Rogue. As for weapons... anything from pistols to his fists. :p

Unfortuantly, my brain seems to have turned itself off for the night even though I'm wide awake... so that's about as much depth as you'll get from me at the moment... but those are 3 Ranger-ish figures I can think of offhand.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
Anxi

General

Will, Halt and Gilan from the Ranger's Apprentice Series.

http://www.rangersapprentice.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger...rentice_(series)

Books are geared towards the young teenage boy's range but if you can get past that they're not bad.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
Dolgan

Lorekeeper

Tommara wrote:

I despise the Shannara books, they're such an obvious rip off, and so incredibly unoriginal, that I can't stand them (and if anyone takes offense at this, please read Tolkien first.  If you have, and still think I'm wrong, let me know and why, and I might read another Shannara book or two.  I bought the first 2 or 3, but haven't been able to make it beyond the first one - almost done, but lost interest in it, because it's such an obvious Tolkien rip off that it's laughable.)

True the first book is in fact a tolkien-esque book.  The second and third book deal with other issues and don't involve the same people.  After that comes the Heritage of Shannara series.  This is a complex series in which all the 3 books come to light and fruititon.  aside from the tolkien-esque quality from the first book the rest are all very good.  I suggest if you can't make it through the first book pick up Scions of Shannara.  Not having read the first 3 books might make it more entertaining as you won't have any pre-conceived notions of what to expect.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #16
Tommara

Loremaster

Dolgan wrote:

Tommara wrote:

True the first book is in fact a tolkien-esque book.  The second and third book deal with other issues and don't involve the same people.  After that comes the Heritage of Shannara series.  This is a complex series in which all the 3 books come to light and fruititon.  aside from the tolkien-esque quality from the first book the rest are all very good.  I suggest if you can't make it through the first book pick up Scions of Shannara.  Not having read the first 3 books might make it more entertaining as you won't have any pre-conceived notions of what to expect.

"Pre-conceived notions" = having read enough books to recognize a copy.  The first book isn't just "tolkien-esque", it's a copy, to the point I was laughing at the similarities with my husband, and predicted the appearance of "Golem", and when it actually occurred, I put it down.

But I'll read the other books since you say they're ok and since I already own them.  But if I ever run into Drizzt in them, it's all over.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:38 AM   #17
Mirdo

Loremaster

Waylander - Ranger with a grudge. From the books by David Gemmel.

Although referred to as an Assassin, he hunted the people that murdered his wife across the world for years. Many of the books have plenty of outdoor settings, amushes in the field and Waylander leading small groups on long journeys. Sounds like a Ranger to me.

Mirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 AM   #18
Krakelkr

General

Legolas - Even more obvious ranger than Aragorn. Used a bow. Can't remember what he carried else.

Jon Snow - a song of fire and ice by G.R.R. Martin. Ranger of the Night's Watch that almost doesn't get the opportunities to be one. Uses a longsword and sometimes bow.So many SF books have one of the classical roles assigned to each character of significance (and then they go on a long journey). It's one of the first signs that a book's gonna be no good. There aren't many ranger characters I like that I can think of.

Krakelkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #19
graewulf

Loremaster

Krakelkrak wrote:

Legolas - Even more obvious ranger than Aragorn. Used a bow. Can't remember what he carried else.

Jon Snow - a song of fire and ice by G.R.R. Martin. Ranger of the Night's Watch that almost doesn't get the opportunities to be one. Uses a longsword and sometimes bow.So many SF books have one of the classical roles assigned to each character of significance (and then they go on a long journey). It's one of the first signs that a book's gonna be no good. There aren't many ranger characters I like that I can think of.

Legolas was not a Ranger. He was an Elven warrior who's weapon of choice was a bow (like many elves). Using a bow doesn't make you a Ranger. He had heightened senses (like all elves) that made him appear to be able to track, but he was simply 'talking to the land'. Aragorn was clearly the Ranger, not only in appearance and deed, but in name (though he was known as Strider).

80 Barbarian Mystic

80 Half-elf Shadowknight

Old 02-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #20
Boramyr

Loremaster

graewulf wrote:

Krakelkrak wrote:

Legolas was not a Ranger. He was an Elven warrior who's weapon of choice was a bow (like many elves). Using a bow doesn't make you a Ranger. He had heightened senses (like all elves) that made him appear to be able to track, but he was simply 'talking to the land'. Aragorn was clearly the Ranger, not only in appearance and deed, but in name (though he was known as Strider).

QFE   You, beat me to that response.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #21
Keredh

Loremaster

graewulf wrote:

Krakelkrak wrote:

I love this dispute. And whilst I think the thread is too good to derail, I will say that I think it is perfectly possible to think of them both as rangers. In fact, read this and tell me where it doesn't fit the description of a ranger:

Link to Tolkiengate 

I doubt that in every instance cited above they were actually called "ranger" - and is Aragorn "created" as a ranger by his skills (learned from the elves) or by his adventures (as a warrior, mercenary and naval captain)? Or is it a combination of both, together with a sense of spirit and purpose?

In which case... I rest my case for both!

Ker

Old 02-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #22
Zizzu
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Veeshans Fury

Loremaster

Dolgan wrote:

Tommara wrote:

Keep in mind that Tolkein is the father of "fantasy". Therefore, every author will relate to his series one way or another.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #23
Krakelkr

General

graewulf wrote:

Krakelkrak wrote:

Talking to the land, track, same same. Legolas role in the fellowship was that of a ranger, has nothing to do with bows or title.

A correction, Jon Snow uses a bastad sword (the correct spelling won't pass the filter).

Old 02-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #24
graewulf

Loremaster

Krakelkrak wrote:

graewulf wrote:

Krakelkrak wrote:

Talking to the land, track, same same. Legolas role in the fellowship was that of a ranger, has nothing to do with bows or title.

A correction, Jon Snow uses a bastad sword (the correct spelling won't pass the filter).

'Talking to the land' and tracking are not the same. They may have the same outcome, but they are not the same. Tracking is a learned skill and the 'talking to the land' thing is an Elven racial trait. Elves are tied to the 'natural world' in a way that others aren't. So while they all have 'Ranger-ish' qualities, they are not known as Rangers. They are simply Elves.

80 Barbarian Mystic

80 Half-elf Shadowknight

Old 02-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #25
NorrinRadd

Loremaster

Beleg Cuthalion (Beleg Strongbow)- The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien, Ranger of Doriath used a Bow from which he drew his surname & also the Sword Anglachel. Of the Sindararin Elves.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #26
Gareorn

Loremaster

What a cool idea, and excellent responses too. I'm also an avid fan of ranger folk lore (played one in EQ several years and one in EQ2 for about 3 1/2 years before betraying). Some of you may remember me and my stupid little pet peeves. Robin Hood isn't a Ranger, but rather an Archer. Big difference. Also, Legolas is a Warrior and exceptional Archer. Most Rangers are excellent archers because, well, they do live and hunt on the range lands which lends an advantage to bows over hand held weapons, but is not necessarily a requirement.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #27
KniteShayd

Loremaster

From the various Shadow Series in the Forgotten Realms, Magadon. He was a Tiefling (Fiend/Human Hybrid) Ranger/Psionicist. I believe he had just one sword, and mainly used his bow.  He would charge his arrows with Psionic energy for more devastating attacks.  In the begining he was more of a Ranger, but later became more Psionicist.  He looked human, save for his eyes. The iris was white, which made his eyes more striking and creepy, as all you saw was the pupil.  He also had small horns, which he kept hidden under a hat.

KniteShayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #28
Krakelkr

General

graewulf wrote:

Krakelkrak wrote:

graewulf wrote:

'Talking to the land' and tracking are not the same. They may have the same outcome, but they are not the same. Tracking is a learned skill and the 'talking to the land' thing is an Elven racial trait. Elves are tied to the 'natural world' in a way that others aren't. So while they all have 'Ranger-ish' qualities, they are not known as Rangers. They are simply Elves.

But it is. The elves in LOTR doesn't literally talk to the land. And Aragorn learned his skills from the elves.

A quote from the OP may be in order to perhaps put and end to this: "Any book or movie works but the character deosn't have to be called out as a ranger but should really stand out as an example of what a Ranger means to you."

(edit: meaning we can disagree)

Old 03-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #29
darkdawn1

Loremaster

I liked Tanis from the Dragonlance books. He is really a cross between a ranger and a warrior. He was skilled with the bow and the longsword. He perfered leather, but was known to wear a warrior's armor.

darkdawn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #30
joevollono

Lord

There was a sci-fi series on televison back in the 90's called Babylon 5.  Towards the end of the series there was a group revealed that called themselves 'The Rangers' that really brought Tolkeins rangers to mind for me. They were on the 'outside' roaming the fringe and dark edges of space and keeping an eye on the evil that was driving the series. They were sort of a combo of scouts, intelligence agents, protectors and couriers and really emobdied the ideal of the Ranger to me. It was a futuristic Sci-fi show so no bows, but they did use a combo of hand-to-hand martial arts and melee weapons (staves if i remember right) as opposed to using the engery weapons of the time.

joevollono is offline   Reply With Quote