EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Hedah

Loremaster

I've thought a long time on the problem our class has. And fixing the arrow problem is not the answer.Instead why not give us different stances other than offensive and defensive?Give us utility stances. This is basically my idea...Stance 1: Head Shots. In this stance the ranger aims for the head, causing more hate to be generated towards the mobs current target. (-8% hit chance +5% damage from normal ranged attacks)Stance 2: Arm Shots. In this stance the ranger aims for the arms, decreasing Slashing, Piercing, Crushing while encounter is active by X amount.  (-8% hit chance and normalized damage from ranged attacks)Stance 3: Torso Shots. In this stance the ranger aims directly for the torso damaging the armor and decreases Physical Mitigation by X amount (+10% hit chance and normalized damage from ranged attacks)Stance 4: Leg Shots. In this stance the ranger aims directly for the legs decreasing avoidance vs all Physical attacks by X amount. (-8% hit chance and normalized damage from ranged attacks)Stance 5: Back Shots. In this stance the ranger aims for the back of the opponent and does increased damage from all ranged attacks. (+10% hit chance +25% damage from ranged attacks +15% hate gain. Ranger must be firing from behind opponent to receive benefits)Also once engaged in combat a stance cannot be changed.Of course all of these stances should be tweaked to a degree, but the idea is solid I believe. Stats will increase from Apprentice 1 to Master 1 spells.Just my thoughts. I would like feedback from all the rangers out there be it positive or negative.-Hedah
Hedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
jarlaxle8

General

Perhaps he just meant that fixing arrows isn't the only help we need. Then again the 'instead' in the next sentance does indicate he wants the stances instead of the arrow fix. Could be just bad phrasing though...

Old 03-10-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
xandez

Loremaster

Hedah wrote:
I've thought a long time on the problem our class has. And fixing the arrow problem is not the answer.fixed above sentence SMILEYheh... well atleast it would be a GOOD start... sniffInstead why not give us different stances other than offensive and defensive?Additionally? (am i too greedy here SMILEY)Give us utility stances. This is basically my idea...Stance 1: Head Shots. In this stance the ranger aims for the head, causing more hate to be generated towards the mobs current target. (-8% hit chance +5% damage from normal ranged attacks)this might be ok... however your numbers are a tad off.lets say i fire 100 shots with 100% hit chance and avg dmg of 1000 per hit with a grand total of 100000 dmgwith your new proposed stance i would hit 92 times instead of 100 (-8% hit chance) and the avg dmg of each hit would be 1050netting me a grand total of 96600 dmg... why would i ever use this stance, beats me SMILEYStance 2: Arm Shots. In this stance the ranger aims for the arms, decreasing Slashing, Piercing, Crushing while encounter is active by X amount.  (-8% hit chance and normalized damage from ranged attacks)again, -8% seems quite steep price to pay.. but i like the ideaStance 3: Torso Shots. In this stance the ranger aims directly for the torso damaging the armor and decreases Physical Mitigation by X amount (+10% hit chance and normalized damage from ranged attacks)nice idea here tooStance 4: Leg Shots. In this stance the ranger aims directly for the legs decreasing avoidance vs all Physical attacks by X amount. (-8% hit chance and normalized damage from ranged attacks)hmm this could be something like slow to mob also? would fit the "theme" better?Stance 5: Back Shots. In this stance the ranger aims for the back of the opponent and does increased damage from all ranged attacks. (+10% hit chance +25% damage from ranged attacks +15% hate gain. Ranger must be firing from behind opponent to receive benefits)nice oneAlso once engaged in combat a stance cannot be changed.hmm... maybe, with some changes allowed, like able to drop your stance to "normal" state atleastOf course all of these stances should be tweaked to a degree, but the idea is solid I believe. Stats will increase from Apprentice 1 to Master 1 spells.Just my thoughts. I would like feedback from all the rangers out there be it positive or negative.-HedahOverall i like your ideas, but like you said they need some number crunching and tweaking. Also, i believe the amount of stances is too large... maybe, shrug. Maybe put 2&3 together and 4&5 also totaling of 3 stances... or sumthing like that SMILEYAnyway, i really would like something NEW done to our class besides the arrow fix
++Xan

xandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Effidian

Loremaster

I see Ranja's post was deleted.  Probably too inflamatory.  But since it is gone, I guess I should comment.

The wording in the OP is horrid, and I had pretty much stop reading when it was suggested that "instead" of fixing arrows, we'd get stances.

I don't like the idea of getting a bunch of CAs that we can't use at the same time.  Loams/masters are expensive enough as it is without getting a bunch of situational stuff.  Also, inevitably there will end up being a "best stance" and then the others will just not get used.

Not being able to change stances in combat is a completely unneccessary limitation.

Not to mention the fact that if they take away our current offensive stance for this, they'd better do something as a replacement.  The only thing that would come close would be Back Shots, and the +15% hate gain would kill the stance.

Effidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
44Dragon

Loremaster

Effidian wrote:

The wording in the OP is horrid, and I had pretty much stop reading when it was suggested that "instead" of fixing arrows, we'd get stances.

I don't like the idea of getting a bunch of CAs that we can't use at the same time.  Loams/masters are expensive enough as it is without getting a bunch of situational stuff.  Also, inevitably there will end up being a "best stance" and then the others will just not get used.

Not being able to change stances in combat is a completely unneccessary limitation.

Not to mention the fact that if they take away our current offensive stance for this, they'd better do something as a replacement.  The only thing that would come close would be Back Shots, and the +15% hate gain would kill the stance.

Second
44Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Dirty Jack Rackham

Loremaster

Hedah wrote:
I've thought a long time on the problem our class has. And fixing the arrow problem is not the answer.Instead why not give us different stances other than offensive and defensive?Give us utility stances. This is basically my idea...Stance 1: Head Shots. In this stance the ranger aims for the head, causing more hate to be generated towards the mobs current target. (-8% hit chance +5% damage from normal ranged attacks)Stance 2: Arm Shots. In this stance the ranger aims for the arms, decreasing Slashing, Piercing, Crushing while encounter is active by X amount.  (-8% hit chance and normalized damage from ranged attacks)Stance 3: Torso Shots. In this stance the ranger aims directly for the torso damaging the armor and decreases Physical Mitigation by X amount (+10% hit chance and normalized damage from ranged attacks)Stance 4: Leg Shots. In this stance the ranger aims directly for the legs decreasing avoidance vs all Physical attacks by X amount. (-8% hit chance and normalized damage from ranged attacks)Stance 5: Back Shots. In this stance the ranger aims for the back of the opponent and does increased damage from all ranged attacks. (+10% hit chance +25% damage from ranged attacks +15% hate gain. Ranger must be firing from behind opponent to receive benefits)Also once engaged in combat a stance cannot be changed.Of course all of these stances should be tweaked to a degree, but the idea is solid I believe. Stats will increase from Apprentice 1 to Master 1 spells.Just my thoughts. I would like feedback from all the rangers out there be it positive or negative.-Hedah
I would like to know your thoughs as to why you believe that balancing Rangers using broken ammo mechanics is a resonable thing to to. The mechanics are bjorked. Fixing them would go a long way putting Rangers back on track. When equiping almost any of the bows from Rise of Kunark is a damage downgrade from the Ridge Scale bow there is a problem. How does adding situational stances address the problem of broken ammo mechanics?

R.I.P. Belara of Lucan D'Lere, beloved avatar of D.J. Rackham

Born: Arpil 20, 2005

Died: April 03, 2010

Cause of Death: Years of mishandling and bungled half arsed attempts at "balancing" the Ranger class on the whims of various EQ 2 developers who don't have a clue what we're about and couldn't care less what the Ranger community as a whole has to say.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
Dirty Jack Rackham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
EQ2Magroo

Loremaster

Hedah wrote:
Just my thoughts. I would like feedback from all the rangers out there be it positive or negative.-Hedah

I wasn't going to post as I thought this was an obvious trolling post, but you did ask for feedback so I am assuming your intentions were good.

There are so many reasons why everything you have listed is a bad idea, but even if there were good idea the one thing that you should be asking yourself is: Do I trust the devs to develop, code and deliver on this idea in GU#44 and get it right first time ?

The arrow fix has been well researched, evaluated by the entire Ranger community, rejected then accepted by the devs, and is now (hopefully) in the process of being coded. To throw all this work away for some new scheme that is 100 times more complex seems illogical.

Now, after the arrow fix has been put into place maybe that's the time to revisit your ideas as *additions* to the combat mechanics, although I don't think other classes would be happy at being left out of this idea if it's goal is to help a class to do their job...and if it doesn't help us then I don't want it in the first place.

EQ2Magroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
Ranja

Loremaster

Effidian wrote:

I see Ranja's post was deleted.  Probably too inflamatory.  But since it is gone, I guess I should comment.

ROFL. Yep that was my post and it got me banned for a week SMILEY. I was a little touchy back then.

Anyways, yeah, I agree with everyhting in this thread. Arrows need to be fixed no matter what. Lets get that right first and then maybe think about any sugar we want to put on top.

OK, I was nicer about it this time SMILEY

Thoghmor, 70 Troll Bruiser

Rotir, 90 Dark Elf Swash

Terrano, 82 Dark Elf Dirge

Aymon, 90, Barbarian Shadowknight

The Destroyer of Worlds:

http://s7.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=84341
Ranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
Gareorn

Loremaster

The OP's ideas are like using a shot gun to kill a fly. Why not just use the fly-swatter instead? Or in this case, fix the broken mechanic. We don't need to introduce more problems into the combat mechanics.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
Ranja

Loremaster

Hedah wrote:
Nuff feedback for ya SMILEY

Thoghmor, 70 Troll Bruiser

Rotir, 90 Dark Elf Swash

Terrano, 82 Dark Elf Dirge

Aymon, 90, Barbarian Shadowknight

The Destroyer of Worlds:

http://s7.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=84341
Ranja is offline   Reply With Quote