EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
MysticBu

General
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5
Default

Well i came from EQ1 playing a 80 Ranger with maxed AA's al lthat good stuff, now that i am a ranger on EQ2(level 34) i see no similarities between EQ1 Ranger and EQ2 ranger i loved the playstyle of my eq1 ranger,  Is this the rite class to compare to an EQ1ranger? what is?
MysticBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Elquinjena

Huntress
Elquinjena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 266
Default

it won't be the same, and I can think of no other class that is even close to what we once were back in the old days (( everquest 1))

 we lost many of our skills during the shattering and wars. We can no longer heal, we can not root. we can no longer pull like we used to either. Only now in my later seasons ( 70-79) am I able to once again Kite things.  I use poisons on my blades like the rogues do. I am able to escape my self and my group to a safe spot if needed. I can still track.  I notice that we are now, more than ever a ranged damage class.

No, brother ranger, you will need to forget the old ways, and learn the new and you might find that we are more of what rangers should have been.(( there is also swashbucklers, which is more up close melee and not so much ranged damage...it just depends on how you used to play your ranger, back then we could go for ranged or up close melee depending on our specs..))

__________________

Antonia Bayle Server - EQII Legion of Kithicor
Elquinjena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
MysticBu

General
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5
Default

I do not know when the last time you played was but, ranger in EQ1 after about 70(AA promitting) are ALL MELEE!  I have the top fabled bow in the game, and still out DPS with my epic 2.5 and a raid mace.  I tihnk i mite have to try out the swash?  Ranged combat CONSTANTLY is not my thing, i also need the ability to Solo a bit.  How are assassins?
MysticBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
Beldin_

Loremaster
Beldin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,343
Default

MysticBurn wrote:
I do not know when the last time you played was but, ranger in EQ1 after about 70(AA promitting) are ALL MELEE!  I have the top fabled bow in the game, and still out DPS with my epic 2.5 and a raid mace.  I tihnk i mite have to try out the swash?  Ranged combat CONSTANTLY is not my thing, i also need the ability to Solo a bit.  How are assassins?

Swashy is much better for soloing since they have mostly frontal attacks while assassins have a lot of stealth and "from behind" attack that they can barely use solo. Also Swashs are a little more "tanky" and can take more hits because of theri debuffs and also if you maybe spec them with STA line for soloing. And .. the best thing of all .. in groups and raids their damage is now mostly even better then assas .. and of course rangers SMILEY

The other very good solo scout is Brigand .. even more "tanky" and has a lot of stuns, however also more "from behind" styles, so you have to be more on your toes and stun .. jump behind .. and so SMILEY

Ahh.. and Swash debuffs the offense off the mob, while Brigand has very great defense debuffs SMILEY

__________________
Beldin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
KniteShayd

Loremaster
KniteShayd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,190
Default

Elquinjena wrote:

it won't be the same, and I can think of no other class that is even close to what we once were back in the old days (( everquest 1))

 we lost many of our skills during the shattering and wars. We can no longer heal, we can not root. we can no longer pull like we used to either. Only now in my later seasons ( 70-79) am I able to once again Kite things.  I use poisons on my blades like the rogues do. I am able to escape my self and my group to a safe spot if needed. I can still track.  I notice that we are now, more than ever a ranged damage class.

No, brother ranger, you will need to forget the old ways, and learn the new and you might find that we are more of what rangers should have been.(( there is also swashbucklers, which is more up close melee and not so much ranged damage...it just depends on how you used to play your ranger, back then we could go for ranged or up close melee depending on our specs..))

And don't forget that we forgot how to kick...

Also we don't taunt or use crushing.  So no picking up a stick in the woods and smacking a spider with it. That is unless it's a pointy stick, then it's considered a piercing weapon, and then it's ok...

... why am i playing a ranger again?...

j/k

KniteShayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
Gareorn

Loremaster
Gareorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,144
Default

[email protected] wrote:

... why am i playing a ranger again?...

Because you look good in tights?
__________________
Leader of the vast right-wing conspiricy... Hiding from the world's smartest woman in a bunker under a Hooter's restaurant.
Gareorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
44Dragon

Loremaster
44Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 125
Default

Gareorn wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

... why am i playing a ranger again?...

Because you look good in tights?
If anyone starts a sing-a-long from Men in Tights, I'll move to Freeport just so I can put a dagger in your back.
44Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
Wolfsight
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Euphoria
Rank: Wolf of Mania

Loremaster
Wolfsight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 188
Default

[email protected] wrote:
Gareorn wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

... why am i playing a ranger again?...

Because you look good in tights?
If anyone starts a sing-a-long from Men in Tights, I'll move to Freeport just so I can put a dagger in your back.
*Starts singing*We're menWe're men in tightsWe roam around the forest looking for fightsWe're menWe're men in tightsWe rob from the rich and give to the poorThat's right!We may look like sissiesBut watch what you sayOr else we'll put out your lightWe're menWe're men in tightsAlways on guardDefending the people's rightsWe're menManly men! We're men in tightsYes!We roam around the forest looking for fightsWe're menWe're men in tightsWe rob from the rich and give to the poorThat's right!We may look like pansiesBut don't get us wrong Or else we'll put out your lightsWe're menWe're men in tights*Tight tights*Always on guardDefending the people's rightsWhen you're in a fixJust call for the men in tightsWe're butch!Sorry couldn't resist SMILEY
Wolfsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
Mhie
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: A F Kers Anonymous
Rank: AFK Counselor

General
Mhie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 72
Default

If you want to kill things quickly from afar without being a caster then yes, I think it is the right class. Please keep in mind a ranger starts off more melee then as they level there is a shift into more range attacks. In your 50's you will get a lot of toys to help you perform your job and improve your solo life. Your poisons will help you greatly, such as one that will do damage and heal you, snare and then of course your choice of debuffs .... you can run all three at once

Nothing will be as it was in eq1, we simply do not perform as that same class anymore.

Solo life as a ranger is about trial and error but things will get better once you are able to use your trap, snares and so forth. Group life improves as well with detaunting poisons and other goodies. Still even at 80 things are not as they were in eq1, that class does not exist here but there classes that may be more of what you are looking for if you are not after the range aspect of being a ranger...take some time to look them over.
Mhie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:12 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.