EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Player Studio Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
MasterMagnus

The Quiet Type

Is there any chance we could create *edit* placeable only * items that have a right click 'use' option which triggers a VERY SHORT audio file?

I'm thinking no longer than 5 seconds, only 'instrument sounds' no words or vocalizations.

I'd love to create an object that is an instrument, and when 'use' is selected it plays a quick sound file.  I.E. you click 'use' on a lute and it makes a sound like you strummed the strings quickly.

MasterMagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

As cool as this sounds (PUN COUNT +1) if this is done then please have an option to turn these sounds off. The tokens of fanfaire that let players make the ding noise got to be highly annoying when 5 or 6 people decided to click them over and over during a raid. At least make it where you can track the source of the music so the raid leader can take action against abusers. 

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
MasterMagnus

The Quiet Type

Ah, I hadn't thought of griefing.

I was proposing only for a placed object, not something you could click from inventory. 

Maybe being clickable from inventory or when placed is the 'hard coded' default though?

Old 03-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

I wouldn't have thought about griefing either until after it was done. It's a cool idea for certain, but not everyone will use it as intended.

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
MasterMagnus

The Quiet Type

Actually the "Action Lashun" does exactly this.  Can only be placed inside housing (not in yard), and plays what sounds like a .midi file when activated.

Gonna cross my fingers and put one in the pipeline and see how it goes.

Would be nice to know compatable file formats (.mid,.mp3,.ogg,?).

Old 03-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

Adding a file that the system isn't set up to look for is likely to result in an "INVALID" flag that would prevent anyone from seeing your submission.

The screening software is fairly specific.

Might work better to mention you have one prepared in your .txt file comments at the bottom, and then see if they contact you and ask for it

"Better safe than sorry" and all that. SMILEY

Eden_Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
MasterMagnus

The Quiet Type

Eden_Evergreen wrote:

Adding a file that the system isn't set up to look for is likely to result in an "INVALID" flag that would prevent anyone from seeing your submission.

Might work better to mention you have one prepared in your .txt file comments at the bottom, and then see if they contact you and ask for it

"Better safe than sorry" and all that.

Thanks, yes I was planning on putting my request in the .txt file, but making the submission fit all the standards and no extra files.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
HaohmaruEQ2

Developer

MasterMagnus wrote:

Eden_Evergreen wrote:

"Better safe than sorry" and all that.

Thanks, yes I was planning on putting my request in the .txt file, but making the submission fit all the standards and no extra files.

This is the right approach. However, player generated sound assets would require we vet it no differently than items submitted by players with artwork that appears to have been acquired from the internet. It's a tough balance at that point. We need to ensure players are responsible for what they create so we avoid legal issues (hence why we mention submitting art/models/etc that is your own, not using work from the internet - even from 'royalty free' sites, etc) yet can't spend copious amounts of time doing so. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it isn't and this would definitely apply here too. Being devils advocate here...

What I can suggest, but could never guarantee, is to absolutely mention that sound would make the item better and what you'd imagine hearing on-use. If the item is compelling enough, looks awesome and on it's own would go right in, then when we receive it and read the submission ideas, we may take it a step further. We'd probably have to create/add the sound (for the reasons above) and that could impact the return - however, next week, I'll ask about this very idea (_player_ submitted sound bites) and let y'all know what we're told. This could open up things like music boxes, etc. for the composers out there. Worth exploring for sure!

HaohmaruEQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
MasterMagnus

The Quiet Type

Thank you for the feedback, I'm very encouraged.

I realize it's a huge task to vet the audio.  And I'd love to do a music box item at some point.

But initially was only hoping for a single note/chord sound.  Like someone picked up the horn and just gave it one toot.

Something that gives the impression of the instrument's sound, but not a melody or song.  So I'm moving forward!