EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

First off, when I read this was comming into game I was super thrilled.  Let me explain why.

We kill a named, and we immediately keep on pulling.  I'm MT and Loot Officer, so I'm pulling new mobs, charging down hallways, and taking bids on loot of what we just killed while we kill more stuff.

What happens is, sometimes there is templar loot in the chest we just opened, and my templar instead of following along and healing me while I pull more mobs is instead checking out how that new hat looks in his appearance window before he bids on the new piece of gear.

Net result, occasionally I die with a loot window open and not all loot assigned.   When this happens, I have to truck back to the chest. re-open the loot window, sprint back to raid, and pick up where I left off.

I saw the new /summon chest feature and was all, ZOMG, How nice!  I can now just pull that chest to me and resume loot distribution as soon as I'm rezed!  Thats farking awesome sauce.

I particularly assumed that this would be the case, since if there was more than one chest available to summon it would let me pick which one.

A Swing and A Miss!

Well, ends up, the summon command only works if I'm pretty much already in range of the chest.  So yeah if I'm 10 meters away, /summon and it comes to me.  However if your 30 meters away, no go.  If your 150 meters away down the next hallway clearing your 3rd set of trash, no farking way you can summon the chest.

So, it sounded like an awesome idea, but the implementation is really only useful for getting chests out of walls.

Maybe thats all the fix was designed to do, but it had so much more potential =/

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord
Koleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 713
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

First off, when I read this was comming into game I was super thrilled.  Let me explain why.

We kill a named, and we immediately keep on pulling.  I'm MT and Loot Officer, so I'm pulling new mobs, charging down hallways, and taking bids on loot of what we just killed while we kill more stuff.

What happens is, sometimes there is templar loot in the chest we just opened, and my templar instead of following along and healing me while I pull more mobs is instead checking out how that new hat looks in his appearance window before he bids on the new piece of gear.

Net result, occasionally I die with a loot window open and not all loot assigned.   When this happens, I have to truck back to the chest. re-open the loot window, sprint back to raid, and pick up where I left off.

I saw the new /summon chest feature and was all, ZOMG, How nice!  I can now just pull that chest to me and resume loot distribution as soon as I'm rezed!  Thats farking awesome sauce.

I particularly assumed that this would be the case, since if there was more than one chest available to summon it would let me pick which one.

A Swing and A Miss!

Well, ends up, the summon command only works if I'm pretty much already in range of the chest.  So yeah if I'm 10 meters away, /summon and it comes to me.  However if your 30 meters away, no go.  If your 150 meters away down the next hallway clearing your 3rd set of trash, no farking way you can summon the chest.

So, it sounded like an awesome idea, but the implementation is really only useful for getting chests out of walls.

Maybe thats all the fix was designed to do, but it had so much more potential =/

If SOE use the /corpsedrag code from EQ(1) then it still might have some use if placed in a macro to continually drag the chest along with you (while you're in range).  If they did this to fix the chests that spawn in the wall or mid-air 2 times out of 10,000 then its little more than a HUGE waste of time for both them and us.

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Loch

Historian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13
Default

I'm pretty sure this was only meant to fix the bug where a chest is unreachable in the air or in a wall. So, in that respect, they acheived exactly what they set out to do.

Fix a bug.

Loch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
ZUES

Loremaster
ZUES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 814
Default

[email protected]_old wrote:

If SOE use the /corpsedrag code from EQ(1) then it still might have some use if placed in a macro to continually drag the chest along with you (while you're in range).  If they did this to fix the chests that spawn in the wall or mid-air 2 times out of 10,000 then its little more than a HUGE waste of time for both them and us.

This would be awesome but onlu if it was a leader only option. I'm the funny guy that would grab it and drag it all over the raid zone so nobody could loot it until I had a good laugh.

ZUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Juggercap

Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Default

ZUES wrote:

[email protected]_old wrote:

If SOE use the /corpsedrag code from EQ(1) then it still might have some use if placed in a macro to continually drag the chest along with you (while you're in range).  If they did this to fix the chests that spawn in the wall or mid-air 2 times out of 10,000 then its little more than a HUGE waste of time for both them and us.

This would be awesome but onlu if it was a leader only option. I'm the funny guy that would grab it and drag it all over the raid zone so nobody could loot it until I had a good laugh.

And I'm the raid leader that would boot you for being stupid and wasting time.

__________________
------------------

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord
Koleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 713
Default

ZUES wrote:

[email protected]_old wrote:

If SOE use the /corpsedrag code from EQ(1) then it still might have some use if placed in a macro to continually drag the chest along with you (while you're in range).  If they did this to fix the chests that spawn in the wall or mid-air 2 times out of 10,000 then its little more than a HUGE waste of time for both them and us.

This would be awesome but onlu if it was a leader only option. I'm the funny guy that would grab it and drag it all over the raid zone so nobody could loot it until I had a good laugh.

That would be funny, especially when the other 23 people were lauphing at you for being /kicked out of the zone.

Loch wrote:

I'm pretty sure this was only meant to fix the bug where a chest is unreachable in the air or in a wall. So, in that respect, they acheived exactly what they set out to do.

Fix a bug.

Like I said for the 2 out of 10,000+ times that might happen, maybe even closer to 2 in 100,000, it's a HUGE waste of time.  When exactly this idea of being able to loot raid chests from afar would be HIGHLY appreciated by the raiding (and farming) community.

It only shows us, again, that SOE can do good work but lacks good ideas or good intentions.

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Mermut

Loremaster
Mermut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 852
Default

The feature was to fix chests you could reach because they dropped in an out of range zone.  It's to make sure people get the loot they've earned.

It does exactly what it was designed to do. I don't see how it is 'fail' in any sense.

__________________
I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, But not hang it by the neck until dead.
Mermut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

Mermut wrote:

The feature was to fix chests you could reach because they dropped in an out of range zone.  It's to make sure people get the loot they've earned.

It does exactly what it was designed to do. I don't see how it is 'fail' in any sense.

Why the needed interface to choose a chest if more than one exists?

Seems it could just summon the nearest chest if it was only to resolve chests in walls.  Being that you can quickly summon the nearest, empty it, and summon the next one in range.

TBH, I was also looking forward to doing the loot off 3-4 kills at a time, rather than doing each one as you go.

Also, you say what this feature was for like you actually had some reason to think that is the reason.  Where was this direct knowledge obtained?  Or are you just infering as well?

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord
Koleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 713
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

TBH, I was also looking forward to doing the loot off 3-4 kills at a time, rather than doing each one as you go.

Also, you say what this feature was for like you actually had some reason to think that is the reason.  Where was this direct knowledge obtained?  Or are you just infering as well?

If you did that: I think your Templar's head would explode seeings how he can't deal with the 2 or 3 pices from a single chest in stride.

And the inference that this 'system' was put in place, in an 8+ year old game, where these actions happen to players far less than one time in a six month span, is nieve and arguementive.  Nobody (programmer) is going to be such an elaborate 'system', in the middle of an expansion dev cycle on a skeletal staff, to fix an issue which is so incredibly rare.  Not only that, but THEY ALREADY FIXED most of those isses when they change the code to warp / summon the chest to the feet of the player getting the killing blow or leader or however that crazy NEW mechanic works rather than the old way where the chest dropped at the position where the mob was killed.

My Guess, since noone from SOE has bothered to tell us differently, is this was intented to be able to /summon chests from across zones due to raiding deaths like the OP hoped, but one of the Dev's couldn't figure out how to make the range work with the variable zone sizes so they made it a static 20m and called it something else.  Fail!

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:54 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.