EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Piestro

Community Relations

I think you have a bit of a frog in your throat…

Have you ever wished you could nod your head yes to a conversation, or tilt your head to the side to give your raid leader that look that says “Are you crazy?” Do you wish you sounded more like a Gnome than a human in raid chat? You’ll soon be able to express yourself clearly with SOEmote!

In EverQuest® II, your player character will soon spring to life using your facial expressions and altered voice. If you frown and growl on your webcam, so will your avatar. Laugh and your avatar laughs with you! It's all possible with the phenomenal new feature called SOEmote™ that truly animates your character’s face in real time!

Amazing voice fonts are offered to replace your voice in chat with something slightly or completely different, allowing you to immerse yourself in roleplay without worrying what you sound like in real life!

Check out this interview with Executive Producer Dave “Smokejumper” Georgeson at PC Gamer to learn more, and visit our YouTube page to see our exciting preview of this feature!

EverQuest Community Relations Manager

Piestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Absyntheea
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Lost Boys

Loremaster

Ok.. this is kind of neat.. but it's just a gimmick. Another novel idea that will, very likely, never work quite right and get scrapped. I'm usually quite supportive and try to be optimistic about new things in the game.. but really, why can't you fix the multitude of things that aren't working right in game?  It would be nice for roleplaying.. but I see very little of that happening on my server. usually, anyone that tries to roleplay is immediately ridiculed. I *was* on a roleplay server until one of the mergers happened and BAM.. no more RP. (and NO.. I am not paying to transfer all of my toons to AB.)

I hate to be so negative.. but if you want to make a game your players want to play, why don't you listen to the large amount of things people actually ask for. instead of coming up with some totally random thing like this.

Absyntheea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Kenazeer

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Ok.. this is kind of neat.. but it's just a gimmick. Another novel idea that will, very likely, never work quite right and get scrapped. I'm usually quite supportive and try to be optimistic about new things in the game.. but really, why can't you fix the multitude of things that aren't working right in game?  It would be nice for roleplaying.. but I see very little of that happening on my server. usually, anyone that tries to roleplay is immediately ridiculed. I *was* on a roleplay server until one of the mergers happened and BAM.. no more RP. (and NO.. I am not paying to transfer all of my toons to AB.)

I hate to be so negative.. but if you want to make a game your players want to play, why don't you listen to the large amount of things people actually ask for. instead of coming up with some totally random thing like this.

I think this echoes my sentiments quite nicely.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
Skeez1e

Tester

Okay, seriously amazing stuff; looking foward to seeing this!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Katz

Loremaster

Well, I never in a million years would have guessed that was coming.  

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
Absyntheea
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Lost Boys

Loremaster

Ok.. after going and actually seeing the demo.. I get the feeling that the "voice fonts" are actually going to make it harder for me to understand what people are saying. I frequently have trouble understanding people for various reasons. Like maybe their mic is bad, or whatever. The distortion used to make their voice sound like another character is just going to intensify that.

Absyntheea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
Raferty

Guardian

Sounds like a really great way to lag me up even more. All I can hope is there is an immediate way to turn this option off. Heck, I cant hardly see people's faces as it is, and even then, it's... whatever. I'm looking at the chat box, or I'm off adventuring. I don't see this being used by anyone but a small percent of people on AB. And quite frankly, it's gunna affect the rest of our gameplay. Take it out. Kill it with fire before it lays eggs and fries my computer.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
S_M_I_T_E

Loremaster

Wow. 

I remember writing a list of how EQ2 follows, gets smoked, and only copies their competitors and stated they needed to do something other than have politicians in the driving chair, you know like have someone like Domino but not Domino before she was promoted. 

Looks like there still is ipotential for industry leading innovation in the SOE studios.

I don't know how championed this idea and/or technological device but even if it doesn't make EQ2 more profitable in the present any future SOE titles will surely benefit from the beta test of this fantastic software advance in EQ2. 

I love the emote options in EQ2 but there's only so many spots on a hotbar and in addition to facial/voice there should be some easier interface for alot of the build in emotes in game (threaten, dance, bow, hello, etc.) that don't involve the hotbutton or /command.

S_M_I_T_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #9
Gilasil

Loremaster

I think it's pretty cool.  I've been hoping they'd get the voice fonts in ever since they put in voice chat.  Great not only for immersion but also if people want to, for example, hide their gender yet still use voice chat.

Reading the facial expressions is going to take some getting used to but it's certainly a next step in RP immersion. 

Oh, and it sounds like you have some control on the voice fonts you use.  So if you want to use it (sounds like the person here really doesn't) but are worried about being understood, I'd suggest experimenting around a bit to find something which is clear.

They need to take the initiative sometimes.  We'll see how this goes.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #10
Ceebia

Lord

Well I talked to a few of us roleplayers on the AB server.  Where not all that excited about it.  There are lage issues to consider, not to mention we get along fine without voice.  Still I plan on trying it out on my guild leader Sarnak at a few of our server's RP events to see how folks might like it or not.  Personally I'm going to enjoy messing with the voice editor to try and come up with a Sarnak voice.

Ceebia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:36 AM   #11
Afun
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Raiders Of The Mist

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Ok.. after going and actually seeing the demo.. I get the feeling that the "voice fonts" are actually going to make it harder for me to understand what people are saying. I frequently have trouble understanding people for various reasons. Like maybe their mic is bad, or whatever. The distortion used to make their voice sound like another character is just going to intensify that.

On LDL we hadda shadowknight who used a voice font for all their VC, they were totaly understandable when they talked.

Just made themem sound like a munchkin - which we all had a good laugh at because they pretended that was their voice lol

Good times.

On a serious note: I think this will be an interesting experiment, though lag is my main concern.

And one question I have- Will boom mics on headsets effect the webcam tracking? Or lighting? ( as I play in a dark room with a headset)

Afun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #12
sharlotta

Loremaster

sure there are going to be some bugs to work out, just like with every new thing that comes out. I do feel this is going to give the /gester a whole new meaning.

sharlotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
GrunEQ

Tester

The facial expressions look pretty good.  I would have liked to have seen it on human type faces.  The voices seemed too mechanical sounding for my ears, so I'll probably give them a pass.  I guess a concern is will this make the game laggy?  Time will tell, and it's an interesting progression that is worth trying.

"O to be a voyager and a yoyeur no longer."

GrunEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
GCT

Loremaster

I have been wanting this since voicechat first became popular and killed RP.  I've been roleplaying in MMOs since The Realm in 1995, and I refuse to use voicechat.

In the past year or so, I have stopped roleplaying because it has now been relegated to being scheduled and low-priority by most people, meaning, "we only do it once a week in a tavern for an hour or so".  That's not RP to me.  RP is what Smokejumper said -- *being* somebody else, no matter what you're doing in game.

Seems most people are underwhelmed, but I am incredibly psyched.  Now I just have to figure out how to set up voicechat and a webcam.

Once again, EQ2 shows me just how much it suits my playstyle -- mercenaries and now this.  Mind blown.  SMILEY

GCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
Brigh

Loremaster

There is already a program out there for your voice that probably works better than what is included in this if you really wanted to change your voice online.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
Onorem

Loremaster

OK. I'm ready to smile. When are you going to give me a reason to?

Old 06-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #17
Luterin

Lord

My guess is that this is a feature they want for EQ Next and that they are just using EQ2 to beta (alpha?) test it and as usual continue to use us as paying beta testers...

Luterin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #18
SisterTheresa

The Vigilant

Honestly, I RP fine and get along fine w/o added fluff to make it so.

I'll pass on this.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
Juravael

Loremaster

Luterin wrote:

My guess is that this is a feature they want for EQ Next and that they are just using EQ2 to beta (alpha?) test it and as usual continue to use us as paying beta testers...

My thoughts as well.

Juravael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #20
Homburg
Server: Guk
Guild: Take the Wipe

Loremaster

Most people wear helmets and hoods anyway.

Homburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #21
TorrynWoodsrunner

Fansite Staff

Figured I'd weigh in here, as a member of the AB roleplay community:

Did anyone actually *ask* for this type of feature? I know I didn't. While it's a neat idea, I really don't see it as any great boon to this or any other MMO, to be honest. It strikes me as a gimmick, which some people will jump on immediately, it will inevitably have major feature-breaking bugs which will then take immediate priority over the other GAME-breaking bugs that already exist, and once again, other, more important, items will fall by the wayside.

Now I know there are things that *have* been asked for:

Skeletal Revamp

Engine Revamp

BUG FIXES

Itemization fixes

Housing/Guild Hall item limits

Expanded character customization options (could tie in with Skeletal Revamp)

This list goes on...

Where are you with these items, SOE? Where do these fit in with your mission priorities? I'd bet good money that you could invest the time, money, and manpower into a SINGLE engine, character and item revamp that would be useable for BOTH EQ and EQ2, and revitalize BOTH games in one expenditure package. You are establishing a track record of disappointing your long-term players. Yes, you're bringing in F2P players, and I'm sure you're making Scrooge McDuck money off your five and ten (dollar) Marketplace racket.

But what happens when the next F2P game comes along? Or the next big MMO title? The one that's BETTER than yours? They're going to fly off. Some may come back, many won't. It is STILL your subscriber base of LONG-term players that drive this franchise for you. WE bring players in on F2P, WE use the RAF program to bring our friends in.

You ask us what WE want, and then you give us...SOEmote. And you reveal and promote it like it's going to be some fantastic feature that's going to guaranteed revolutionize the way we play EQ2.

Nah, I don't think so. I think, and the majority of the player opinions that I'm reading support this, that it's going to be a flash-in-the-pan nifty fad that will burn brightly for a brief time, then fade into relative obscurity.

Will I play with it when it goes Live? Probably. Will I restructure my once a week tavern RP at the Soulfire to use it? Not likely.

SOE, I am disappoint. Again.

TorrynWoodsrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
Ceebia

Lord

I noted something someone said there that VC killed RP.  To be honest I just wanted to say I never seen that and I used to be on the old LDL server and now the AB server.   Folks that RP don't use VC for much other then some ooc chater and joking around unless there in a group hitting some zone.   As such I do not see this as affecting RP in the least, or enhancing it.  The only way I can see this as being effective for RP anyway is if the voice in this was broadcast in to the zone local area like they do with Second Life, so others can at least hear the person without needind a chat room.

Ceebia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
Maroger

Loremaster

What a waste of time compared to all the things that need fixing in this game - we don't need this failed experiment.

How about this instead:

Itemization fixed for lower levels than 90

Expanded character customization options

Increasing the limit for GH resource box

More space in Banks

etc. etc. etc.

Maroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #24
inspire1444568

Loremaster

Game looks amazing... visually

All this is not relevant now ! There are more important issues !!!

inspire1444568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #25
GargleDemBawls

Lord

Wow! This is honestly... really neat! ...Sort of makes me want to get into roleplaying...

GargleDemBawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #26
Laenai
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Figured I'd weigh in here, as a member of the AB roleplay community:

Did anyone actually *ask* for this type of feature? I know I didn't. While it's a neat idea, I really don't see it as any great boon to this or any other MMO, to be honest. It strikes me as a gimmick, which some people will jump on immediately, it will inevitably have major feature-breaking bugs which will then take immediate priority over the other GAME-breaking bugs that already exist, and once again, other, more important, items will fall by the wayside.

Now I know there are things that *have* been asked for:

Skeletal Revamp

Engine Revamp

BUG FIXES

Itemization fixes

This list goes on...

Where are you with these items, SOE? Where do these fit in with your mission priorities? I'd bet good money that you could invest the time, money, and manpower into a SINGLE engine, character and item revamp that would be useable for BOTH EQ and EQ2, and revitalize BOTH games in one expenditure package. You are establishing a track record of disappointing your long-term players. Yes, you're bringing in F2P players, and I'm sure you're making Scrooge McDuck money off your five and ten (dollar) Marketplace racket.

But what happens when the next F2P game comes along? Or the next big MMO title? The one that's BETTER than yours? They're going to fly off. Some may come back, many won't. It is STILL your subscriber base of LONG-term players that drive this franchise for you. WE bring players in on F2P, WE use the RAF program to bring our friends in.

You ask us what WE want, and then you give us...SOEmote. And you reveal and promote it like it's going to be some fantastic feature that's going to guaranteed revolutionize the way we play EQ2.

Nah, I don't think so. I think, and the majority of the player opinions that I'm reading support this, that it's going to be a flash-in-the-pan nifty fad that will burn brightly for a brief time, then fade into relative obscurity.

Will I play with it when it goes Live? Probably. Will I restructure my once a week tavern RP at the Soulfire to use it? Not likely.

^^^^^^

Torryn said it far nicer and less insulting than I ever could.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #27
Valraukar

Loremaster

Maroger wrote:

What a waste of time compared to all the things that need fixing in this game - we don't need this failed experiment.

How about this instead:

Itemization fixed for lower levels than 90

Expanded character customization options

Increasing the limit for GH resource box

More space in Banks

etc. etc. etc.

I'm soooo agree with this.

Please answer to the demands before develop funny and useless features.

Valraukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #28
LadyMist

Loremaster

I think this is a fantastic ideah, I am sure a lot of people will have fun with it. I actually heard about this before reading the forums. My source?

My hubby works on the flightline at Boeing and they were discussing it there. So thumbs up you got a bigger audience than you thought SMILEY

I am sure some of the players will be complaining about your other departments jobs. You know how they say fix the bugs before having your "Other" teams focus on their speciality lol. They just don't understand theres a team for that too.

Keep up the innovative ideahs!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #29
Kapath

Lord

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

things that *have* been asked for:

Skeletal Revamp

Engine Revamp

BUG FIXES

Itemization fixes

This list goes on...

Where are you with these items, SOE? 

^^^ khtnxgreatpostbai

Old 06-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #30
thepriz

Loremaster

I think this is inovative and a step in the right direction for SOE. I hope the voice modulator is not pre canned but can be adjusted by the user like popular 3rd party applications that I have used.

The face recognition stuff is very interesting, we will have to see how it works out. There are going to be some adjusting to having enough lighting in the room for the webcam to work and such, but I think it is going to be fun to play around with.

With some of these changes some inovation forward would be to have some voice recognition put into the program to allow you to interact with the NPCs. Also allow people in close proximity around you hear voice chat.

Deran CastillianEverfrost Server