EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > History and Lore
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
-Fluffy-

Tester

While completing the last step of the Swords of Destiny questline I came across a completely unrelated book on the floor of the Hall of Clarity inside the Overlords instance of the Tunarian Throne Room. The book was named 'Book of Runes' and written by Rikantus Everling.

I figured some of you lore people might be interested in it, so here's the text SMILEY

This book appears to have page after page of symbols and glyphs. There is far too much material here for you to research or even decipher. After a while, you finally discover an image that looks quite familiar. Although you cannot recall the where you have seen it, the image must have been seen on one of your adventures or described in tales told in some darkened tavern. It is a symbol with two triangles intersecting and forming a diamond in the center. There is far too much to read, but you do manage to make a few interesting finds. The symbol represents a dimensional plane of existence far different than the known planes. What is truly odd is that the first instance of the symbol was discovered upon a Shissar artifact that was removed from the ruins of a place called Chelsith.  The symbol was once called the Rune of Ethernere, but recent discoveries prompted the writer to change the name to something more appropriate: the Rune of Vul. The rune is said to be ancient and there is only one other rune known by the writer that is as old. This other ancient rune is called the Rune of Sunder. Information on this other rune will be kept within the hidden curios vault.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Cusashorn

Loremaster

Hmm. Maybe Mayong is researching Everling's finds.
Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
Ama

General

Cusashorn wrote:
Hmm. Maybe Mayong is researching Everling's finds.
I wouldn't doubt Mayong doing research into the Etherne and the Obelisks.  The more I think about it I swear that two triangles thing I see on the Lamias necks are "Control" spells to keep them subdued.  Almost every lamia I have seen has a tattoo on the back of their neck.  That and one misc. little item that I won't mention here... . SMILEY
Old 07-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Mirander_1

Loremaster

The presence of this book, alongside the pictures I've seen of the Tunarian Throne Room event, are making me seriously rethink the general theories about Luclin's destruction.  While this book only describes the appearance of the Rune of Vul and not Sunder, one of the books in Nek Castle describes both, with the Rune of Sunder being described as a spiral.  Now, not only is this book found in New Tunaria, but the Throne Room event shows an image of a destroyed Luclin sitting in the middle of a giant spiral.  To me, this seems to be suggesting that Luclin wasn't destroyed by Kerafyrm, nor by the Dresolisk, but maybe the Rune of Sunder was somehow responsible.  Add to that that the runes were found on a Shissar artifact, and the last known remenants of the Shissar civilzation were found on Luclin; and it seems like a pretty solid theory to me.
Mirander_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
Wrapye

Loremaster

I don't know if there have been any screenshots of the throne room put up on this forum, but I took these the other night after we dealt with Mayong.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #6
Zygwen

Loremaster

My own picture of the destruction of Luclin. What if the beam of energy connects this image to the real moon? or What if the bean of energy is what pulled Luclin apart?

Joannax, lvl 90 Troubador
Sacrifice
Oasis

Zygwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
Druisagoldengod

Loremaster

*unno screwed up formatting*
Druisagoldengod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
Druisagoldengod

Loremaster

Okay What the fizzle is up with that formatting. Some notes:  "From 'Beyond the Rune' lore book from nek 3 --   (The final page contains two sketches of two runes. They appear as follows: 1. the Rune of Ethernere - There is an image of two triangles turned upon each other and interesecting to create a diamond at the center. 2. The Rune of Sunder - There is an image of a swirling line such as a whirlpool would create when viewed overhead or a spiraled serpent. The Rune of Sunder has a hurried note scribbled in blood all over it. "Look to the stone of the Shissar."SMILEYSMILEY" From http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=187607 This leads me to think that the Rune of Sunder (Stone of the Shissar) was the stone at Chelsith.   However "This book appears to have page after page of symbols and glyphs. There is far too much material here for you to research or even decipher. After a while, you finally discover an image that looks quite familiar. Although you cannot recall the where you have seen it, the image must have been seen on one of your adventures or described in tales told in some darkened tavern. It is a symbol with two triangles intersecting and forming a diamond in the center. There is far too much to read, but you do manage to make a few interesting finds. The symbol represents a dimensional plane of existence far different than the known planes. What is truly odd is that the first instance of the symbol was discovered upon a Shissar artifact that was removed from the ruins of a place called Chelsith. The symbol was once called the Rune of Ethernere, but recent discoveries prompted the writer to change the name to something more appropriate: the Rune of Vul. The rune is said to be ancient and there is only one other rune known by the writer that is as old. This other ancient rune is called the Rune of Sunder. Information on this other rune will be kept within the hidden curios vault." from this thread seems to point that the Rune of Ethernene (Rune of Vul) was the one at Chelsith at least at one point. What could this mean?  Both were in the Shissar's possession at one time?  Perhaps the stones are actually 1... probably not given the accounts of the markings on them.  Or maybe, just maybe, the dev's screwed up and got them backwards?! Also, why was it called the Rune of Ethernene to begin with?  We do know at one point Rikantus (among others) ventured into what most would guess was the Void thinking it was the Ethernene.  So, I submit that he took this relic and named it thusly. Course.... I'm probably wrong.   Amondus Do`Barratus 70 Shadow Knight Ghosts of War Permafrost
Old 07-12-2007, 10:50 PM   #9
shadowscale

Forum Dragon

with how it says stone of the shissar. and the pictures show the moon with the rune behind it. could it be the rune of sunder is on luclin or atleast responsalbe for this distruction? look to the stone of the shissar might mean look at the moon for what the rune can do, like a warning.
shadowscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
Maergoth

Loremaster

This is no reason to change our luclin destruction theories.. this beam would have been visible for a while if it was around to destroy luclin.. There was a battle fought on luclin and the dresolisk crystal was there, according to some smushed up dragon tales, Kerafyrm set the crystal off before it could get to Norrath. Chances are, this is what happened. As for the beam.. The shadowed men are essentially Akhevans, and Akhevans lived on luclin. On top of that, the main shissar city still remaining was also on luclin, with plenty of other potential artifacts. As a third reinforcer.. Mayong Mistmoore is a vampire. He would have no reason to destroy luclin, especially not before he destroyed the Sun. If anything, this beam is intended to repair luclin or soak up some of the power released when it exploded if you ask me.

Jaraxx tells you, 'Why did you die? Man up. Ask for DI from your priests'

You tell Jaraxx, 'I had a "save" running..'

http://tinyurl.com/PaladinFeedback
Maergoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #11
shadowscale

Forum Dragon

ever thoght the beam might just be whats projecting the image into the room?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
Cusashorn

Loremaster

shadowscale wrote:
ever thoght the beam might just be whats projecting the image into the room?
Yeah that seemed kinda obvious to me that it was just a projection. I don't see anything important about the beam itself.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #13
Ordate

Loremaster

Maergoth wrote:
This is no reason to change our luclin destruction theories.. this beam would have been visible for a while if it was around to destroy luclin.. There was a battle fought on luclin and the dresolisk crystal was there, according to some smushed up dragon tales, Kerafyrm set the crystal off before it could get to Norrath. Chances are, this is what happened. As for the beam.. The shadowed men are essentially Akhevans, and Akhevans lived on luclin. On top of that, the main shissar city still remaining was also on luclin, with plenty of other potential artifacts. As a third reinforcer.. Mayong Mistmoore is a vampire. He would have no reason to destroy luclin, especially not before he destroyed the Sun. If anything, this beam is intended to repair luclin or soak up some of the power released when it exploded if you ask me.

??????

Some of your conclusions frankly I can't see how you reached beyond a blind jump.  Akhevans = shadowman?  There is nothing similar between the two.  No peice of lore to link them and I would put forward as the lore would actually squash the idea that the two are related.  The only similarity are that they have a lot of black in their models.

The shissar have a lot of artifacts?  Umm so?  So did the combine empire?  Im not sure what that has to do with anything?

Mayong destroying the sun?  Where did that even come from?  Heck many vampire minions hang out in loping planes during the daytime?  I don't think there is any lore that suggests that EQ2 vamps even dislike the sun but I am unsure on this point.  We do know he is interested in the runes and the twin swords...but to heal or hurt we cant say for sure.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #14
Maergoth

Loremaster

Read your shadowed man lore and legend, it says the few that have seen their true form depict them as pale skinned 4 armed humanoids.. According to luclin lore, an akhevan can transform himself into a "shade" at the end of his lifetime if he consumes the soul of another. The shissar were the first to experiment with planar travel and come up with some of the very important stuff that this whole thing was about. The rune of Vul and Sunder were discovered on shissar artifacts last I checked. They were the first to tamper with the ascendance to god hood and immortality, as well as the first to slay the gods themselves. Everything else after the shissar stood on what the shissar had come up with and worked from there, even the simplistic wizard portals are twisted from shissar studies. In Everquest 1, Mayong Mistmoore had made it his goal to go to Soltersis, Throne of Ro and completely extinguish the Norrathian sun. He came close and was destroyed by adventurers just before. It's a cross-game referrance, but there's no reason to believe he's suddenly a supporter of daytime on our shift of the timeline. Don't point out someone elses BS until you realize your own SMILEY

Old 07-15-2007, 10:48 PM   #15
Cusashorn

Loremaster

Maergoth wrote:
Read your shadowed man lore and legend, it says the few that have seen their true form depict them as pale skinned 4 armed humanoids.. According to luclin lore, an akhevan can transform himself into a "shade" at the end of his lifetime if he consumes the soul of another. The shissar were the first to experiment with planar travel and come up with some of the very important stuff that this whole thing was about. The rune of Vul and Sunder were discovered on shissar artifacts last I checked. They were the first to tamper with the ascendance to god hood and immortality, as well as the first to slay the gods themselves. Everything else after the shissar stood on what the shissar had come up with and worked from there, even the simplistic wizard portals are twisted from shissar studies.

First off the shadowmen thing:

Yes, it does say 4 armed beings, but not pale skinned. For all we know, The shadow crawlers we see running around could be thier true form. The shadowmen existed on Norrath long before Luclin was discovered by the Combine Empire, and given the Akhevan's extremely xenophobic history, It's completely out of character for them to choose to abduct people and steal thier souls. I mean they had a huge civil war with thier own kind over whether or not common tongue should be allowed to be spoken. Itpermanently scared a section of Luclin.

I don't remember ever hearing anything about an akhevan needing to devour a soul to come back as a shade. It's just part of thier natural immortality.

2nd: The Shissar never fought any gods, and especially weren't the first to kill them. They defied them, which is what brought about the Greenmist. They never achieved godhood or immortality either. They only believed that thier king was a god, just like a pharoah of ancient Egypt. A God-king.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:22 AM   #16
Ordate

Loremaster

Maergoth wrote:
Read your shadowed man lore and legend, it says the few that have seen their true form depict them as pale skinned 4 armed humanoids.. According to luclin lore, an akhevan can transform himself into a "shade" at the end of his lifetime if he consumes the soul of another. The shissar were the first to experiment with planar travel and come up with some of the very important stuff that this whole thing was about. The rune of Vul and Sunder were discovered on shissar artifacts last I checked. They were the first to tamper with the ascendance to god hood and immortality, as well as the first to slay the gods themselves. Everything else after the shissar stood on what the shissar had come up with and worked from there, even the simplistic wizard portals are twisted from shissar studies. In Everquest 1, Mayong Mistmoore had made it his goal to go to Soltersis, Throne of Ro and completely extinguish the Norrathian sun. He came close and was destroyed by adventurers just before. It's a cross-game referrance, but there's no reason to believe he's suddenly a supporter of daytime on our shift of the timeline. Don't point out someone elses BS until you realize your own SMILEY

I won't tackle the problem of shadowmen and "me reading my shadowed man lore and legend" as Cusa has already pointed that part out.

Runes were discovered in shissar ruins.  Does that mean the shissar were using them?  They could have ended up in the ruins by some full hardy adventures after the ruins were already ruins.  ...  It would seem to me that if the shissar were masters of planar travel they would have left the zoo known as luclin (brief history on luclin, many populations that were threatened by extenction were moved to the moon to allow for their survival by the gods, one of which were the shissar.) and continued on their conquest once the greenmist threat was ended.  Again Cusa pointed out the problem with the deific portions of this.

As for teleporting actually being shissar in origin, I have no recollection of any lore saying that the combine empire stole the technology from them.  If you have refrence to such a claim, please share.

Finally again it is a cross game refrence and as stated I am aware of no eq2 lore, and while the whole vampire hating the sun is a possible and honestly likely possibility (yet simplistic) Ro has given many a person reasons to dislike him especially someone as long lived as mayong.  More so if Mayong lived through the scorching of Tunaria.  Mayong could have gone after Ro's throne for a magnitude of reasons.

I want to say this, it is admirable to make a stand in the lore section, but when proposing things that have very loose ties be ready to support those claims.  Please take the criticism of is that a blind jump as it was meant to be.  Not an attack but ok, here is where I see problems, feel free to prove me wrong.  I don't attack someone and say you suck read something.  I point out the problems as I see them (I fully acknowledge that my memory is faulty and I do a lot of posting off the top of my head).  Still, Ive played this game a long time and have way too much useless info stored in the noggin.  Note the use of questions I put in.  They are honest to god ok if you have lore to support this show me.  SMILEY

Old 07-16-2007, 06:03 AM   #17
Maergoth

Loremaster

"The Akhevans are the greatest creations of Luclin. They are tall, four-armed beings with magnificently pale skin. They have no pupils, for they see only shadow, but they are more aware of their surroundings than most other creatures. As the children of Luclin, they are immortal, in a sense, for when they die they become shades, pure creatures of shadow. This comes at a cost, however, for the death and conversion of an Akhevan into a shade must consume another spirit in the process." And.. "Murdunk met with Ssraeshza himself to discuss an alliance. He spoke of how powerful their empires were, how they, the children of the gods, had conquered everything in their path, and were the true masters of the world. Rather than turn against each other, Murdunk proposed that they expand beyond Norrath, for nothing could stop them, and that they invade the alter planes. Ssraeshza agreed, for his lust for power had become great, and believed that in conquering the gods his power would be supreme, and plans were made for the invasion of the planes of the gods. The Shissar and the Ogres each exchanged their knowledge of war and magic, profiting both, but rather than work as a combined force they desired to work towards their separate goals. Murdunk prepared for an invasion of the Plane of Earth, and Ssraeshza planned an attack on several lesser planes. While the Rallosian Empire’s first attempt failed, the Shissar were successful. Ssraeshza himself engaged in combat with unnamed deities, and emerged victorious, striking down and slaying the divine. Standing over the fallen gods, having conquered their planes, Ssraeshza turned to his armies and proclaimed himself divine, ‘the godslayer’, and worthy of worship by his people." Referrencing the post: "The History of Luclin" http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/p...?topic_id=50031 As for the "combine" spires.. "Remarkable, truly remarkable...Written amongst pages of the ancient tomes of the Combine Empire, I discovered something that contradicts what has been theorized about the Combine ruins. For years, it was believed that the Combine Empire created the structures that facilitate teleportation for wizards, however, I found evidence in the ancient tomes that proves these theories to be incorrect. Within their manuscripts, scientists of the Combine Empire made notes of the discovery of sets of four tall spires found in several areas across Norrath. The spires emanated a magical energy that was unexplainable. After years of extensive research and experimental studies of the structures, they came across a method of using this power for teleporting to several locations. In order to use this power to its fullest, they built the pyramidal structures in the middle of each set of these monuments. As I study the Combine spires... no... as a man of knowledge I can not continue giving credit to the Combine Empire for creating something they did not. The quadroliths, as I see more fit to dub them, contain a tremendous amount of power. Some time ago, I sent my assistant Sorko Talvazon to scrape some fragments off the portal in the Dreadlands. I hope this will be possible. Before I continue with my research, I must study this magical energy closer." Referrencing: "The Journals of Al'Kabor" http://lorenorrath.free.fr/read.php...journalsalkabor As for the spires.. They are conveniently located in the remains of the former Shissar capital of Chelsith.. or in the same area. Note, the largest spires of all (Those in the dreadlands) are coincidentally the ones closest to the remains of Chelsith.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #18
Cusashorn

Loremaster

Man, you're starting to sound more and more like me with every post. Gotta say whatever it takes to prove yourself right.

That History of Luclin post, while is mostly correct, seriously needed to cite its actual in-game sources to be believable. That said, the part about the Akhevans and the Shissar's involvement with the Rallosian Armies, I never read anywhere in any official sources or in-game.

The Journals of Al'Kabor is canon. I remember when those were posted on Everquest.com, as well as the GM event that went with it. Those huge spires were located at the capital city of the Combine Empire. It's where they made thier exodus to Luclin.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #19
Daarom

Loremaster

Hmmm the Akhevan and the Shadowmen one race They had the Power to create the Shadow Crawlers The Rune could be an Akhevan spreading out his Arms, well and the Akhevans liked diamond shaped things SMILEY
Old 07-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #20
troodon

Loremaster

Maergoth wrote:
Referrencing the post: "The History of Luclin" http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/p...?topic_id=50031
That was fascinating.  I wonder how much of it could be true...

ROL GRATUL SKORCHERS!!
troodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:32 PM   #21
Maergoth

Loremaster

As for the authenticity of the post.. the last time something claimed that much validity and ended up being a load of poo,  it was moved to the Fan Tales section of the forum. It is very accurate and though I have not seen the in game referrences, it would have been noted as false if anyone that viewed it and looked into it found anything that didn't fit.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:25 AM   #22
TheGReddy

Loremaster

Some interesting stuff here but i just want to mention that reading this stuff sometimes gives me the creeps, as interesting as it is.

Which makes it even worse that i like to read it and get the chills.SMILEY

Now back to your regularly scheduled forum Void discussionSMILEY

Old 07-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #23
Saroc_Luclin

Loremaster

Like Mayong attacking Solteris to extinguish the sun, TBS also confirmed that it was the Shissar that helped the Combine develop teleportation magics for their own big jump to Luclin. In exchange for sheltering the remnants of the Shissar race in secrecy (the ones that didn't make the jump to Luclin with Sshra or die in the Greenmist), the Shissar told the Combine how to make teleporters (including the ring teleporters we see in Sshra and now in Katta Castrum). (My own side theory is that the Erudites got some of that teleportation theory from nearby Katta Castrum or refugees from that city, and tried to weaponize it during the Paineel/Erudin war, leading to Shar Vahl's trip to the moon). As for the Gods and the Shissar's reaction to them, recall a few things. 1. They were running their own experiments on Ascension on captured Vah Shir, leading to Khati Sha's spirit/half ascendedness in the Acrylia Caverns. 2. The Shissar were also exploring and poking around the Planes, leading to some of them getting tossed into the Plane of Time time-out room (TimeA)
Saroc_Luclin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #24
Maergoth

Loremaster

I have not been able to play the latest expansion so I was a little curious as to all that.. but there you go, apparently I heard it somewhere SMILEY Vul and Sunder.. Vul is a key part in immortality, sunder would seem the opposite.. does the Throne of New Tunaria reveal anything about it at the end or do you just sit there with the littleluclin and a beam shooting at the sky?

Old 07-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #25
RaphaNissi

The Athenaeum

Maergoth wrote:
I have not been able to play the latest expansion so I was a little curious as to all that.. but there you go, apparently I heard it somewhere SMILEY Vul and Sunder.. Vul is a key part in immortality, sunder would seem the opposite.. does the Throne of New Tunaria reveal anything about it at the end or do you just sit there with the littleluclin and a beam shooting at the sky?
I've heard you mention Vul and immortality before.  Care to share where you come up with that?  Vhalen refers to Vul as being "all around Norrath" and "one of many and far reaching."  How does that line up with your theory?  As far as sunder goes..  the very meaning of the word means to be separated, divide, sever.  Makes a lot of sense that two times we have information on this rune(Luclin and Everling) there is a separation/division of some kind.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:46 PM   #26
shadowscale

Forum Dragon

Maergoth wrote:
does the Throne of New Tunaria reveal anything about it at the end or do you just sit there with the littleluclin and a beam shooting at the sky?
the beam is nothing more then the beam projecting the image from the throne. its not coming from luclin
Old 07-18-2007, 04:23 AM   #27
Ordate

Loremaster

Maergoth wrote:
As for the authenticity of the post.. the last time something claimed that much validity and ended up being a load of poo,  it was moved to the Fan Tales section of the forum. It is very accurate and though I have not seen the in game referrences, it would have been noted as false if anyone that viewed it and looked into it found anything that didn't fit.

Remember to be a healthy skeptic about things.  As you have not seen the ingame lore, you can honestly not account for the posts credibility.  It could be just a well written piece of fan work that hasn't been moved.

Its a great peice of work, but would be great if it was actually with real refrences.  As it is, it is a refrence of questionable quality.  They could use actual lore about some parts and then make up some parts that might "fit" but aren't actually in game.  This would make accounting to the posts true validity difficult.

I'll buy the part about the teleporters... I'm surprised that bit escaped me, and thanks for pointing out the ref.  But at this time, until something appears with solid ref's or a devs commentary, I can't buy that huge shissar post nor that the shissar created the spires.  We know the combine didn't but don't have the proof of who did.

Actually further reading on that post is a very important caption near the top:

A NOTE ON SOURCES: The goal of this history is to explain, simply, why everything on Luclin is the way it is. Verant went through a major change in organization and management about six months into the production of the ‘Shadows of Luclin' expansion, and as such many of the stories and other texts that may have given a more solid explanation of things were lost. The following is in no way to be considered the absolute truth, but it is the best attempt to explain things working with what has been given, and based on the sources where they can be found.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:34 AM   #28
Daarom

Loremaster

What if ... Someone tricks us, what we can see in the sky is just a Projection, Luclin still exist and is just hidden from our eyes. and the Scattering thing didnt destroy the moon it just damaged it
Old 07-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #29
Druisagoldengod

Loremaster

ZOMG!   That would be pretty nuts if the shattered Luclin thats been over our heads for a few years now was actually just a projection. Then again... if they decided to take that route... I would surmise they the kids over in the Cali offices have run out of ideas.  Keh!  the next thing we would see is access to the planes!  Oh... wait... Shard of Fear...   ....  ... SMILEY Amondus Do`Barratus 70 Shadow Knight Ghosts of War Permafrost
Old 07-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #30
Controlor

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
What if ... Someone tricks us, what we can see in the sky is just a Projection, Luclin still exist and is just hidden from our eyes. and the Scattering thing didnt destroy the moon it just damaged it
That wouldnt explain how huge peices of luclin has landed on norrath. Not to mention all the craters around.
Controlor is offline   Reply With Quote