EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Soresha

Tester

Starting a thread for art-related feedback (separate from zone-related problems). I'm just following the usual categories our devs like.

Talking to NPC Rendyl outside the zone-in to Nettleville for a quest. His armour switches appearances from "normal" to something different, more pinkish. Then changed back again. Its the same change you get with distance, moving towards/away from NPCs, and it was quite glaringly obvious.

But I didn't move. What triggered it is a patrolling NPC approached me, then went away again. I think it's a limit on how many NPCs are rendered in quality at once? And there's a whole crowd of them for the quest.

So the mechanics are probably correct. But the visual change is very drastic and noticable. You can see it when moving around the other guards too, the low quality version a different colour and also different profile (not as bulky) so the switching getting your attention. Given how many guards there are around Qeynos, could you tweak the lower quality version a bit to match better?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Zabjade

Loremaster

Understated so far, the Walls recieved some nice re-bricking most of the rest of the city looks the same the Claymore looks different but that might be a good thing.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Katz

Loremaster

It's too "shiny" looking to me.  Looks like everything is brand new, instead of an old city.   The wood part looks like plastic, I guess it was wood, maybe its shiny metal? 

Guess I'll get used to it.

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Dreyco

Archive of Ik

Pulled myself out of EQ2 Hiatus just to come and have a look at the new Qeynos, as it was something that I was -really- looking forward to before.  I loved the new Freeport.  I loved the new art in Freeport.  The texturing was breathtaking.  It brought the city a much needed UPDATE to its aged art.

While I wasn't expecting as large an update to Qeynos (for the most part, its STYLE didn't need a change), I was at least expecting that we could get the same touch to its texturing and shading; something that brought it up to par with current art assets.

I log in... and... most everything is the same, except the .. walls have been changed.  The texturing in Qeynos Harbor and Eldarr grove is identical.  The buildings are still the same as what we had before...

Yes, the new castle is fricking awesome.  The few new art assets that were put in are awesome.. but..

Color me disapointed.  You didn't have to change the style of the city.  I don't think anyone was expecting that.  But I think that the rest of the textures could have at least been brought up to date.  You didn't have to pave the streets with gold, or change the grass to be purple.. but what about new grassy textures?  New road textures?  Touchups to the buildings so they look newer?

I mean, you even have the age-old, circa 2002 stone texture right up against the new wall textures, and it's plainly obvious that it's much older compared to the newer, nicer looking stuff.

I'm just... terribly disapointed.  The new content is awesome... the artwork revamp just... it isn't even a revamp!  New walls are not a revamp! *sigh*

Grand Historian of The Archive of Ik
Dreyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Lizabethan

Philosopher

Guess I should repost this here, echo some of the others. SMILEY The walls are really, really dark, almost too dark to match the existing grey stone. It's textured, so it's not a graphics glitch, but..

Though I do absolutely love the new guard outfits and mounts. Spot on!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Katz

Loremaster

Lizabethan wrote:

Guess I should repost this here, echo some of the others. The walls are really, really dark, almost too dark to match the existing grey stone. It's textured, so it's not a graphics glitch, but..

Though I do absolutely love the new guard outfits and mounts. Spot on!

Yeah, I think thats it, there is too much contrast for the dark to match the lighter stone.  Hopefully they will adjust it some, but probably not.  

They really need to slow the mounts down.  Why would guards run on winged mounts at breaknet speeds through town?  Wouldn't they fly instead?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Lizabethan

Philosopher

Close up of walls, on high texure:

Close-up of the Claymore:

So, you can see that it has texture, but it's overwhelmingly too dark for the stone around it. The walls do NOT change color as the sun rises/sets, but are apparently supposed to look like this: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=519574

Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
Knives
Server: Everfrost
Guild: The Fallen Legion

Loremaster

I'm having the same issue with the new textures being black. I haven't played on Test for a while, but I patched before login - might be a bug?

I agree with Dreyco though. With all the new textures being (hopefully temporarily) black, the changes to the city are very clear - and it doesn't seem like much was really changed. I haven't gotten very far through the main questline yet, but in one of the first quests Murrar Shar references that the changes to Qeynos were controversial among its citizens. Seems like a reference to the playerbase. I haven't experienced much of the content yet so I'll hold my opinion for later, but so far I haven't been "wowed" like I was with the changes to Freeport. I understand that a sizeable portion of the playerbase was opposed to changing the main cities, but it seems like trying to appeal to both sides could end up appealing to neither (again, I'll wait until I've experienced more to say anything else).

Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
Katz

Loremaster

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this feedback but:

The furniture merchant has a "fountain of storms"  which looks like the fountain in front of the south qeynos guild hall which looks like a carpenter made fountain.  Is that the right art for the fountain of storms?

Also, you are missing the "a shadebloom bouquet"  as one of the items available from the furniture person from some of the suburb quests.  It is a nice yellow flower.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster

no teaser screenshots?

all i see are those "glitches", lol.

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #11
Indabuff

Loremaster

I as well had the black wall issue with one of my computers, luckily I was able to see the artwork on my other one. I really was looking forward to this revamp and I have to say I feel let down by it.

In all honesty it looks like its half done. The style and coloring from the new stuff stands out against the old. It looks like you just ran out of time and rather than delay it decided to go with what you had. As someone who works in the art field it really stands out badly. I am also disapointed that we did not get a hub like we got in Freeport. It is one of my favorite things about the revamp having that central area for all the services, and I know its something that I had heard we would get with the Qeynos revamp as well.

If this is truely what it looks like and its a job half done....well come on guys finish the job.

Indabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #12
Lizabethan

Philosopher

I only have one (gaming) computer, I want to see the artwork in all its glory! SMILEY

Old 06-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #13
Celline-Layonaire

Loremaster

Yeah, definitely looks like it's still half-done now.

And several more screenshots or at least a simple footage on Youtube will be appreciated.

Celline-Layonaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #14
KenCoop

Loremaster

Same here on the black walls.  Didn't matter the setting usually run very high quality but switched modes and it looks like a shader issue.

Did not really notice the drastic difference post revamp that I did with Freeport (except for the mostly black walls...), most of the city looked the same.

Guard armor is nice, but doesn't seem as impressive as FP.

KenCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #15
Minnie

Loremaster

Compared to the Freeport revamp, the Qeynos revamp looks rushed. It looks like they started to do a few nice things, and stopped. I was hoping for more sparkle, more magic. A castle we can actually walk into would have been nice too. I do like the new guard uniforms, and the mounts, but I think more time could have been spent on our favorite city. SMILEY

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #16
Cometar
Server: Mistmoore
Guild: New Outriders

Loremaster

I think that the art department sort of shot themselves in the foot with this update. Freeport was such an amazing and drastic improvement and there's no way that players could not compare the upgrades of one to the other. With that in mind, Qeynos is in no way, shape, or form up to par.

With the combination of zones, I expected more than just removing the zone lines at the gates. Like was done with Freeport, you could have merged them together sooooo much better. Especially in North and South Qeynos where it would have been easier considering the way the zones were already set up. Drop the wall between the two completely, merge some of the buildings and really make it look like it leads into this gorgeous new castle you've built.

As for Eldar Grove and the Harbor, with the broken wall already implemented in the Grove, you had the perfect opportunity to combine those two zones. You could have made it like the wall between the harbor and grove was broken down or something with time. The grove had started to merge with the harbor. Something like that. Instead, we got the gate removed from the wall between zones.

In summation, I'm just thoroughly dissapointed. I wanted more than retexturing of some walls. I wanted the combined zones to actually be combined and influence one another.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #17
Whilhelmina
Server: Storms
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

As everybody else pointed above, I'm disappointed. I loved the massive overhaul of textures in Freeport and Qeynos has troubles competing.

The high walls got a new (and very nice texture). The castle got it too. The mailboxes and bells changed... And that's all. More or less. A couple buildings got a relift like the alchemist in Qeynos harbor but the inside is the same old and dusty inside, with old furnitures. In Elddar Grove, the broken parts above the water didn't even get a nice new arch and the tree platform is the same old and worn wood. It's disappointing as a whole. What changed is nice (I don't have the glitches some have above) but everything is much the same.

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #18
Cyrdemac

Loremaster

I've expected far more. Consolidation is ok, but it hasn't really changed like Freeport did.

I liked the new armor-sets for the guards, but was extremly disappointed to see, that the new greek/roman style helmet wasn't included in the questable Vanguard-Armor set.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
Lifeswarde

Hero

Also really disappointed that so much didn't get touched.  Don't mind the new outer walls themselves so much, but I think the turrets are ugly and impractical as far as a castle wall goes. It is a let down zoning into Elddar Grove and seeing the old crumbling walls still standing while the outer walls stand out in startling contrast.  This isn't a new Qeynos, it's a half done Qeynos.

Lifeswarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #20
Lizabethan

Philosopher

< Retracted, walls seem better today! >

Old 06-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #21
Ceebia

Lord

I ran around at max graphics in my case here is what I saw, that caught my eye.

Now mind you the mail box I did notice suttle texture changes.  Also things where shinty to me as it was raining at the time.  I noticed textures get shiny when it rains, so I tend to be aware of the weather before noting that.

Ceebia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #22
Tylia
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Test of Time

Loremaster

In Qeynos Capital District, location 712.85, -18.81, 236.49 there is a whole corner of the graphics missing.  If you peek out through the hole, you will disconcertedly notice that Qeynos is floating around in space!

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
Exothria

Loremaster

Behind 2 Bayle Court House:

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/...9/eq2000000.png

Exothria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #24
Tylia
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Test of Time

Loremaster

Exothria wrote:

Behind 2 Bayle Court House:

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/...9/eq2000000.png

Yeah, that is exactly where my location listed right above leads to.  SMILEY

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
Cyrdemac

Loremaster

Bug:

- Armor Set Helm Qeynos Guard Ceremonial Barbute removes beard, when wearing (human male).

Old 06-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
Rykairn

Loremaster

I logged into test to take a look at the new Qeynos as well.  As many have already mentioned, it's underwhelming compared to what had been done to Freeport.  When I belled into the harbor and started looking around, my immediate response was - did they change anything?  Is it really up on test or did I miss something?  As I continued to tour through the rest of the city I did notice minor changes, such as the walls, castle, patrolling guards - but the majority of the buiding structures (just about all of them) hadn't appeared to be updated/changed.  It really felt like they just began working on it and that this was an incomplete version.   I'm hoping so anyway.  In contrast, I created a new character to run through Darklight woods (on live) and felt it to be a better cleanup of a zone than Qeynos.  Amazing job with changing the initial armor set from there as well.  It looks like something you'd buy from the market - saying it was that good SMILEY

Rykairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #27
Soresha

Tester

First bad texture spotted in a wall corner in Capitol District, at 716.34, -19.46, 230.52

Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #28
Tigress

Loremaster

This also applies to Freeport.  Please bring back the chime when you click the bell to go to different areas in Qeynos/Freeport.  I loved that bell and the sound.  I know you want the new fancy type but if you could add the sound back, that would be awesome.

Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #29
Finora

Tester

I might be alone in this but I am actually very pleased that Qeynos didn't undergo the drastic changes in art that happened in Freeport.

My view on it is that old Freeport was a hole & needed to be torn down & completely rebuilt to make it actually look like a powerful city & not a 3rd world slum.

Old Qeynos' art was always brighter more cheerful & over all better suited to the city's attitude.

The new art in the city just turned things up a little.

Problems/bugs I see:

If you are swimming in the moat in South Qeynos and swim at the nothern most gate/grate the grate disappears (loc 505, -28, 94). None of the other gate/grates in the moat in other areas seems to do this.

Also in South Qeynos near the gate to North loc 435, -18, 131 orientation 93.15  (a bit on the little hill & facing towards the gate) you can see a hole in the wall texture near one of the towers.

Male child model at loc 553, -16, 233: Holds his head too far back when he is looking up at a taller character & twists his neck in a fashion that makes his neck skin look stretched. Shoulders are also pretty far back (like one might do if you were marching or something, kids don't stand around like that pretty much ever so it looks very wrong & unnatural).

Less of a bug I think, just a question. The chunks of Luclin are still in the castle, any real reason for leaving them in rather than removing them?

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #30
Soresha

Tester

I don't mind the Qeynos changes being subtle. Just to throw that in. SMILEY

One thing that's a shame though, the castle graphics are going to waste. I saw some of Qeynos and the castle back in May when I visited SOE, and I thought "omg the castle looks great". Now I'm on Test spending hours running around Qeynos I'm just not noticing it. Only when I made an effort to look at it, did I really see it.

Why? Because at SOE I saw it from high up in the air, the character was "flying". Now I'm there myself I'm stuck on the ground. And I'm a fae. Short races have to point the camera up their butts to see the castle properly!

I know the zone art won't have been built for flying, and you won't allow it, but jeez, it's such a shame. It's just not in my normal field of view when playing. SMILEY