EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #31
Leawyn

Loremaster
Leawyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,014
Default

[email protected] wrote:

With some of these changes some inovation forward would be to have some voice recognition put into the program to allow you to interact with the NPCs. Also allow people in close proximity around you hear voice chat

If this ever happens (and I sincerely hope it never does) I hope its voluntary so I can turn it off. The last thing I need is to zone into SS and listen to someone babbling about some inane or sexual thing or another because there are tons of people there and they are forced to listen.

__________________


Maelani | Maelya | Maerie | Maehymn | Maewyn | Maekita | Maelynne
Leawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #32
thepriz

Loremaster
thepriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 219
Default

[email protected]_old wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

With some of these changes some inovation forward would be to have some voice recognition put into the program to allow you to interact with the NPCs. Also allow people in close proximity around you hear voice chat

If this ever happens (and I sincerely hope it never does) I hope its voluntary so I can turn it off. The last thing I need is to zone into SS and listen to someone babbling about some inane or sexual thing or another because there are tons of people there and they are forced to listen.

Definitely agree, there better be some sort of ignore feature because there are a lot of imature people out there.

__________________
thepriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #33
Ceebia

Lord
Ceebia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 56
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Now I know there are things that *have* been asked for:

Skeletal Revamp

Engine Revamp

BUG FIXES

Itemization fixes

Housing/Guild Hall item limits

Expanded character customization options (could tie in with Skeletal Revamp)

This list goes on...

Eh hate to break this to yea, but speaking as someone that dabble in CGI and as a Guild Leader with hall, well let me point this stuff out.

Skeletal Revamp -> Kinda needed just to make SOEmote work properly so that's on the way.

Engine Revamp -> Not really seeing the need here, or the point can you citie a example of a needed change?

BUG Fixes -> Done in weekly updates, they been doing it, read the patch notes.

Itemization fixes-> Again your vague here.

Housing Guild Hall item Limites -> Already in place, so not seeing the problem with this.

Exapanded character customization -> See what I said about the revamp.

This is all just common sense BTW.

__________________
No event is complete without a Sarnak.



Ceebia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #34
Ceebia

Lord
Ceebia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 56
Default

Also anyone heard of when this might be released yet?

__________________
No event is complete without a Sarnak.



Ceebia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #35
TorrynWoodsrunner

Fansite Staff
TorrynWoodsrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 185
Default

Ceebia wrote:

Eh hate to break this to yea, but speaking as someone that dabble in CGI and as a Guild Leader with hall, well let me point this stuff out.

Skeletal Revamp -> Kinda needed just to make SOEmote work properly so that's on the way.

Engine Revamp -> Not really seeing the need here, or the point can you citie a example of a needed change?

BUG Fixes -> Done in weekly updates, they been doing it, read the patch notes.

Itemization fixes-> Again your vague here.

Housing Guild Hall item Limites -> Already in place, so not seeing the problem with this.

Exapanded character customization -> See what I said about the revamp.

This is all just common sense BTW.

I'm also a Guild Leader with a hall, and I do a -bit- more than dabble in CGI. Not that either of those really apply here. It appears my list may have been over simplified, so I'll just take a brief moment to clarify the position:

The skeletal revamp, in the manner that it has been asked for, talked about, and repeatedly requested, is -not- 'on the way'. If it were, I guarantee you that the flow of armor and jewelry and other wearables to the Marketplace would stop. Because we're speaking literally about re-building the base model framework of both genders of every race, -ideally- so that arms and armor would fit each of them universally. I doubt that SOEmote will require much, if any, base model modification other than possibly adjusting facial polygon levels to prevent or minimize surface fracturing during mouth movement.

((For a good example of a unified mesh/skeletal structure, look at the Genesis figure from DAZ 3D. Male, female, ogre, troll, orc, werewolf. Morph it into anything, clothing still fits.))

The engine revamp is something that's also been buzzing around for some time. Not sure on the exact time discussion of an engine revamp started, but I'd guesstimate it was about the time that video card technology went in the entirely opposite direction of where the EQ2 engine anticipated. That is, onto the GPU and off the CPU. Not seeing the need? Shall I mention the Shader 3.0 fiasco? How about DX11? EQ2 looks nice, sure. But right now we're playing on a Soapbox Derby hodgepodge of old code and new code, and none of it is running at its full possible potential. Plus, let's face it, EQ1 and EQ2 are getting long in the tooth. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if UO could rebuild from the ground up, EQ and EQ2, which are better games, could do the same thing.

Bug fixes. I read the patch notes. And you know what I see most often? Fixes for things that just went Live. I also play on Test Server from time to time. Know what I see? Hundreds of bugs that are experienced, verified, and reported...and end up on Live servers anyway. And then can take weeks or even months to fix. Shouldn't happen that way. I'm hoping these plans they've been hyping about real-time bug fixes bears fruit. I really do. But seeing as there are bugs that have existed since the core game, I think it's fair that the pace be stepped up on fixing the car before slapping a hot paintjob on it.

Itemization fixes, I'm afraid I personally can't be more specific on, because I've lost most if not all of my interest in the high-end game, where it seems to matter most. Perhaps someone else with more familiarity can comment on that. I just note it because it's a common hot topic amongst the EQ2 gamer population as something that isn't working correctly and needs attention, before gimmicks like SOEmote.

Housing and Guild Hall item limits. Of course they're in place, please tell me you're not naturally that cognitively fogged that you didn't understand that I was referring to those limits being removed, or at the very least tripled or quadrupled in size. I suppose to get to the absolute core of it, we would need a database revamp, from the ground up. But instead, we're getting progressively buried under prestige homes they want us to spend real money on, that it takes a miracle worker like Neversea or Tock to decorate worth a darn.

Expanded character customization. How long Have we been asking for more/better hairstyles? SOGA hair for Non-SOGA characters? ET cetera, et cetera, et cetera? Long time, I think. But instead of what people have been asking for as far as increased characterization, we get...SOEmote.

Common sense says that to ensure your business remains healthy over a long term, you leverage your development time and resources into a plan that retains customers as well as attracts new customers. Done properly, your retained customers can lower your expenditure on attracting new customers, because they'll bring in new customers for you.

What I see currently is a more short-term focus, utilizing flash and gimmickry to attract new customers quickly, get their money out of their pockets on nickel and dime trinkets (only it's five and ten dollar trinkets), and then let them fall away like rust flakes off a '73 Pinto. Meanwhile many long-term, dedicated players are left stunned and disappointed.

TorrynWoodsrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #36
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

This would be a neat feature if it was attached to a game that wasn't at its core broken and not fun to play.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #37
inspire1444568

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 59
Default

Engine revamp ? Why ? Create a new engine, really... in eq 3

Now, game looks better than many of concurrency. sometimes. )

- but critical bugs need to be fixed !

inspire1444568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #38
Calthine

ZAM EQII
Calthine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,439
Default

Ceebia wrote:

Also anyone heard of when this might be released yet?

I seem to recall from one of the E3 videos it's happenign in June.

__________________





Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #39
Iad

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Default

Calthine wrote:

Ceebia wrote:

Also anyone heard of when this might be released yet?

I seem to recall from one of the E3 videos it's happenign in June.

Yep, SJ said this feature should be coming later this month.

Iad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #40
Ceebia

Lord
Ceebia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 56
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

The skeletal revamp, in the manner that it has been asked for, talked about, and repeatedly requested, is -not- 'on the way'. If it were, I guarantee you that the flow of armor and jewelry and other wearables to the Marketplace would stop. Because we're speaking literally about re-building the base model framework of both genders of every race, -ideally- so that arms and armor would fit each of them universally. I doubt that SOEmote will require much, if any, base model modification other than possibly adjusting facial polygon levels to prevent or minimize surface fracturing during mouth movement.

((For a good example of a unified mesh/skeletal structure, look at the Genesis figure from DAZ 3D. Male, female, ogre, troll, orc, werewolf. Morph it into anything, clothing still fits.))

The engine revamp is something that's also been buzzing around for some time. Not sure on the exact time discussion of an engine revamp started, but I'd guesstimate it was about the time that video card technology went in the entirely opposite direction of where the EQ2 engine anticipated. That is, onto the GPU and off the CPU. Not seeing the need? Shall I mention the Shader 3.0 fiasco? How about DX11? EQ2 looks nice, sure. But right now we're playing on a Soapbox Derby hodgepodge of old code and new code, and none of it is running at its full possible potential. Plus, let's face it, EQ1 and EQ2 are getting long in the tooth. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if UO could rebuild from the ground up, EQ and EQ2, which are better games, could do the same thing.

Bug fixes. I read the patch notes. And you know what I see most often? Fixes for things that just went Live. I also play on Test Server from time to time. Know what I see? Hundreds of bugs that are experienced, verified, and reported...and end up on Live servers anyway. And then can take weeks or even months to fix. Shouldn't happen that way. I'm hoping these plans they've been hyping about real-time bug fixes bears fruit. I really do. But seeing as there are bugs that have existed since the core game, I think it's fair that the pace be stepped up on fixing the car before slapping a hot paintjob on it.

Itemization fixes, I'm afraid I personally can't be more specific on, because I've lost most if not all of my interest in the high-end game, where it seems to matter most. Perhaps someone else with more familiarity can comment on that. I just note it because it's a common hot topic amongst the EQ2 gamer population as something that isn't working correctly and needs attention, before gimmicks like SOEmote.

Housing and Guild Hall item limits. Of course they're in place, please tell me you're not naturally that cognitively fogged that you didn't understand that I was referring to those limits being removed, or at the very least tripled or quadrupled in size. I suppose to get to the absolute core of it, we would need a database revamp, from the ground up. But instead, we're getting progressively buried under prestige homes they want us to spend real money on, that it takes a miracle worker like Neversea or Tock to decorate worth a darn.

Expanded character customization. How long Have we been asking for more/better hairstyles? SOGA hair for Non-SOGA characters? ET cetera, et cetera, et cetera? Long time, I think. But instead of what people have been asking for as far as increased characterization, we get...SOEmote.

Common sense says that to ensure your business remains healthy over a long term, you leverage your development time and resources into a plan that retains customers as well as attracts new customers. Done properly, your retained customers can lower your expenditure on attracting new customers, because they'll bring in new customers for you.

What I see currently is a more short-term focus, utilizing flash and gimmickry to attract new customers quickly, get their money out of their pockets on nickel and dime trinkets (only it's five and ten dollar trinkets), and then let them fall away like rust flakes off a '73 Pinto. Meanwhile many long-term, dedicated players are left stunned and disappointed.

Okay well I am familar with DAZ and Poser, to be honest I don't see that has happening unless the clothing are made race specific.  It would be the only way to really get around the problem, and do that revamp you want.  If you want examples of the problem I mean, look at how helms fit on a Sarnak, there often distorted due to the universal mapping currently used.

Yea I am familar with the Shader 3.0 problem.  I noticed the same problem even on more modern games as well.   A better client for the game might help solve it, but a patch might help as well so the game can better translate the driver properly.  To me it looked like the gamma setting used for Shader 3.0 was set way to high so it made even dark clothing look bright white in color.

I think they bug fix thing might be related to how there understaffed right now, from what I keep hearing.  At least there trying.

As for the housing yea I hear you, and would love for that for my hall to, still I can understand why it's in place currently.  I meet some folks that have plans to make theres so full of stuff that it looks like a wherehouse.  Not something I want to see.

__________________
No event is complete without a Sarnak.



Ceebia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #41
Kenazeer

Loremaster
Kenazeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,178
Default

Well...the results are in. The world has had 10 days to digest the news; let's see what Google trends has to say?

http://www.google.com/trends/?q=SOE...date=mtd&sort=0

__________________
Come play EQ2...we have SOEmote, Dungeon Finder, and Dungeon Maker.
Kenazeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #42
Kapath

Lord
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 58
Default

Kenazeer wrote:

Well...the results are in. The world has had 10 days to digest the news; let's see what Google trends has to say?

http://www.google.com/trends/?q=SOE...date=mtd&sort=0

 soemote does not have enough search volume for ranking 

trolololo umad SJ?

__________________
MalletMan wrote: I noticed that on the mining animation, that the pick points to the right a bit, any way to fix that?
Kapath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:42 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.