EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > History and Lore
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #1
Cusashorn

Loremaster

Ok. The Sword of Destiny line is finally finished. (Spoilers. Highlight to read) Even though he's not suppose to have it, Lucan once again has the Soulfire in his posetion, and he managed to do so without word spreading throughout Freeport, and thus giving the citizens to destroy the city from the anarchy that would ensue from each and every last person's greed for power. What a shame.

ANYWAY, there's still a few loose ends to tie up. Namely: What about Inspecter Rylana?

Here we have a half elf who worked for the Freeport Militia as a housing inspector. She's just doing her job, searching for clues to help them track down Opal Darkbriar in Longshadow Alley.

Then Neriak opens up. The Militia has captured Opal Darkbriar, and still holds her in the cells in West Freeport. However, now you can find Rylana's corpse in the bear caves in Nektulos forest. All that's left of her is an ornate dagger in which you will investigate and find nothing further.

Why was she killed? Who killed her? She was only doing her job. Why'd she deserve to be dumped as bear food in the caves? Will a larger story unfold involving Freeport and Neriak's uneasy alliance? What?

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
Wrapye

Loremaster

A minor figure who knew too much as a result of the investigation, and someone decided to tidy up a loose end.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
Cusashorn

Loremaster

Wrapye wrote:
A minor figure who knew too much as a result of the investigation, and someone decided to tidy up a loose end.
But she was only doing her job, which was to find where Opal was. The Militia caught Opal because of her, and now she's dead, so the loose end still needs to be looked into.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
Ama

General

Cusashorn wrote:
Wrapye wrote:
But she was only doing her job, which was to find where Opal was. The Militia caught Opal because of her, and now she's dead, so the loose end still needs to be looked into.
Only person i'm wondering about is The Foci's proposed daughter in TT.  Will we see her break her loyalty to the Overlord to free her mother or will she remain loyal to the overlord saying her mother got what she deserved?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
Raven_Ancient

Loremaster

Well considering Rylana was chasing a well know teir'dal in a teir'dal neighbourhood it would be simple enough to assume that there were some thexians or other such Neriak sympathisers in there unhappy about Rylana's 'job'. If someone's out to undermine your faith or political alignment are you just going to say (in such a fantasy setting of course) oh well its just their job. She may not have deserved it but its how it is and it fits in with the Freeport and the Teir'dal 'atmosphere' in my opinion. I too hope that the loose end is tied up with regards to the ornate dagger and what happened (or I fear the dagger will have pride of place in my bank next to the heartwood piece) because then there won't be any need for assumption.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
Cocytus

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
Well considering Rylana was chasing a well know teir'dal in a teir'dal neighbourhood it would be simple enough to assume that there were some thexians or other such Neriak sympathisers in there unhappy about Rylana's 'job'. If someone's out to undermine your faith or political alignment are you just going to say (in such a fantasy setting of course) oh well its just their job. She may not have deserved it but its how it is and it fits in with the Freeport and the Teir'dal 'atmosphere' in my opinion. I too hope that the loose end is tied up with regards to the ornate dagger and what happened (or I fear the dagger will have pride of place in my bank next to the heartwood piece) because then there won't be any need for assumption.
Neriakians hate Thexians.
Cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
Cusashorn

Loremaster

There's no doubt that she was killed by dark elves. I just hope the ornate dagger that we found with the investigation skill leads to something further.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:00 AM   #8
Raven_Ancient

Loremaster

Ahhh so sue me for posting minus my coffee. But anyway the Thexians were still loyal to their heritage and which is why Mr D'lere isn't happy with them. Just because the Neriak of today doesn't want them back doesn't change the fact that their belief in their superiority and heritage (Neriak being part of that) is what makes them 'Thexians'. Cocytus wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Neriakians hate Thexians.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
Vhalen

Developer

The Thexians uphold the laws of the former regime while the present Teir'Dal of Neriak follows the laws of the Dead. There are commonalities in both regimes. They both praise Innoruuk, but the goals of the empire differed. The King believed in conquering the surface world alongside allies of other races. The Queen believed in isolating the Teir'Dal and striking at the surface world from the shadows with no aid from lesser races. This is but an example of the many diplomatic conflicts within the former Teir'Dal government. As a Teir'Dal, you need to ask yourself which side you believe held the right course of action for your race. Was it the King or Queen?

As for Rylana, she may be gone, but the secrets behind her death will be revealed. Hold on to that dagger.

Vhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
PlageuReaver

Loremaster

Is the splitpaw server bugged or something.....

It anoyed me to no end that I wasn't able to get the book from her, and I can't get the dagger of her corpse aswell.

PlageuReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
Cusashorn

Loremaster

I accidentally deleted the dagger, and it wont let me pick up another. This won't be important, will it? I mean I investigated it, so I figure I don't actually NEED the dagger in my inventory, right?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #12
CyriexVTZ

Loremaster

Hi Vhalen, Thanks for your post, as always though, every step forward in the quest for lore seems to lead to more questions.. if you (or anyone else reading this thread) would indulge me.. * If the New Nerian/Dead regime is one founded on the principles of isolationism and shadowy manipulation, why is Neriak currently available to home any member of any evil race, including giving them free reign to walk the entire city? I would expect to find the New Nerian regime more, not less, xenophobic than the old Thexian regime which used to allow a very small number of races access to a relatively limited area in the city. * Does the above example, and other snippits of chatter, such as the Dark Bargineer speaking of maintaining access with the surface if the Queen likes it or not, suggest that the Queen has been forced to soften her desired philosophy. If so, what could possibly have forced her to open the floodgates to the outside world far more than was even allowed by the Thexian regime? * If both Thexian and Nerian (Cristanosian?) regimes praise Innoruuk, why the current tensions between The Dead and the Spires of Innoruuk? What is Innoruuk's take on one of his 'prime' creations (Cristanos) being worshipped as a god? For that matter, what is Cristanos' opinion on being worshipped by the race she has created? * (And the million platinum question) How much, (or how little) does Cristanos have a hand in/care about the recent actions of Opal Darkbriar and the subsequent mysterious disappearance of Inspector Rylana?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:23 AM   #13
Raven_Ancient

Loremaster

Well even though you asked for Vhalen my take on why any race is allowed in could be in relation to pressure applied by Freeport and Lucan upon Neriak and the Queen to allow these other races in. Judging by the presence of the Freeport Militia and so on in Darklight woods and if I recall correctly (I read it somewhere) the story being that once the way was open to Neriak, Lucan more or less led an army to the doorstop to force an 'alliance'. Internally the Queen probably is thinking isolationist and shadowy manipulation but it just biding her time. On a separate note its good to know that the secrets of Rylana's death will be revealed
Old 07-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #14
Jal

General

Same idolvo no book no matter how much i tried and ive not tried the dagger yet. Is something wrong with splitpaw?
Jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #15
Cusashorn

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
Same idolvo no book no matter how much i tried and ive not tried the dagger yet. Is something wrong with splitpaw?

Well for starters, it's not possible to gain the book anymore on any server because.

1. Rayalla isn't in Longshadow anymore.

2. She's dead.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #16
Jal

General

Cusashorn wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Well for starters, it's not possible to gain the book anymore on any server because.

1. Rayalla isn't in Longshadow anymore.

2. She's dead.

You dont say Cusas..... Oh but we could have perhaps tried it BEFORE she went and died??
Jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #17
Kaiser Sigma

Loremaster

Cusashorn wrote:
I accidentally deleted the dagger, and it wont let me pick up another. This won't be important, will it? I mean I investigated it, so I figure I don't actually NEED the dagger in my inventory, right?
Quoting Vhalen: "As for Rylana, she may be gone, but the secrets behind her death will be revealed. Hold on to that dagger."... Glad I never delete my quest / lore items~.
Kaiser Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #18
Cusashorn

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:
Cusashorn wrote:
Quoting Vhalen: "As for Rylana, she may be gone, but the secrets behind her death will be revealed. Hold on to that dagger."... Glad I never delete my quest / lore items~.
But there aren't very many quests in the game that consume a specific item as part of the quest. Probably wont need the dagger since we already investigated it, but it's not fair that we can't investigate the dagger again to pick it up.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #19
CyriexVTZ

Loremaster

I've found Rylana and I can see the dagger on the floor but for some reason I'm unable to investigate it..any ideas why?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #20
Cusashorn

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:
I've found Rylana and I can see the dagger on the floor but for some reason I'm unable to investigate it..any ideas why?
You didn't do the book investigation event in Longshadow Alley when Rylana was still alive and doing her job there.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #21
DrkVsr

Loremaster

So that means new/slow lvling players are royally screwed and can never do these quests?
Kilitty: Kemplar of the 30th Order, Gods of Najena
Zabisuto Zyhopic: Guktassin of 27th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Tralgarth: Trollsionist of the 28th Order, SoG on Butcherblock {2nd on Server}
Blacqphlag Killzphast: Arserker of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Hwalgren N`Gareen: Faeden of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Reynes: Wooden Mule of the 7th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock

You can kill me, but you will not stop me
Ah can be killed, but ah will not die!
DrkVsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #22
Raven_Ancient

Loremaster

DrkVsr wrote:
So that means new/slow lvling players are royally screwed and can never do these quests?
Well sorry to say but that may be the case. Live events can be harsh like that sometimes. For example I missed out on the plague events, the 2006 Halloween events and well the new griffon tower event was over before I really got a chance to get involved. It's just bad luck when it happens. And well I'm pretty sure there was nothing wrong with Splitpaw as I managed to complete the investigation and managed to make server discovery on the ornate dagger. I believe most peoples issues were that they weren't catching Rylana at the start of her script near the Freeport gate. Kind of moot point now though. Better luck next time.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #23
Vhalen

Developer

The story that will follow the path that led to Rylana's death will not be closed to players that were unable to investigate her actions in Longshadow Alley. However, there may be certain parts of that story that will only be available to those that continue on with her investigation. 
Vhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #24
Kaiser Sigma

Loremaster

Any ETA on this? I mean, the event is good..but a bit more inbetween patches would be awesome~.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #25
Druisagoldengod

Loremaster

Alright alright, yall found me. I killed her.  But it was an accident!  She tried making a move on me and being a Shadow Knight, I'm very spikey... and well... yall get the picture. *Plz don't tell the Overlord! Amondus Do`Barratus 70 Shadow Knight Ghosts of War Permafrost
Druisagoldengod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:54 AM   #26
DrkVsr

Loremaster

Didn't realise the SoD was a Live Event, ah remember the Griffin Tower fiasco: logged in that night but had something to do in FP, didn't take too long and headed across CL, didn't even make it past XRoads before the Yellow Server announcement saying it was all over SMILEY
Blacqphlag Killzphast: Arserker of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock

Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #27
Kaiser Sigma

Loremaster

I see the events with Rylana and the Foci as more of a side quest to Swords of Destiny rather than part of it. It'd be interesting to see what do they have in store to close Rylana's arc. Also, it'd be cool to see a bit more of closure with the Foci... I mean she plotted against the Overlord, jail isn't enough~.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #28
Meniphisto

Loremaster

I see the events with Rylana and the Foci as more of a side quest to Swords of Destiny rather than part of it. It'd be interesting to see what do they have in store to close Rylana's arc. Also, it'd be cool to see a bit more of closure with the Foci... I mean she plotted against the Overlord, jail isn't enough~.
Well, if you visit the prison in WFP under the Fighter's Guild, you can see Opal right there. Wait long enough, and a certain Captain, who had many want-to-be dragon speakers very angry, will show up with a bit of dialog that can be found on this forum. Gist of it is that she will be executed. Kinda disappointed that with SoD being wrapped up there still isn't anything new on this =(

"I come from the Net, infecting systems, people, and cities. To this place... Norrath. My Domain. My format? Defiler! To corrupt and conquer!"
Meniphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:08 AM   #29
DrkVsr

Loremaster

Ok, that makes it more palatable, slightly anyway SMILEY

Old 07-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #30
Banbha

Loremaster

Wouldn't it be great if they did a live event and we could watch Opal executed in the pit in Execution Plaza in WFP?