EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > History and Lore
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-11-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Maergoth

Loremaster

I have been looking into this for a while now.. The Everling Idol says: "Mor'Tael of Vul, Merchant of Oblivion, Servant of Theer." Kantus Mor'Tael has strong connections to the void, he is apparently is a merchant of sorts for them. Rikantus Everling apparently traveled to the void and "Stumbled" across a machine that gives his family and him Immortality. To cut to the chase.. I propose that Kantus Mor'Tael is the original Everling, and the everling we have been dealing with is simply a clay golem copy. There's a curious book next to Kantus Mor'Tael that speaks of an ancient planar clay that was used by an Elddar elf to escape an unescapable fate.. the story is "The Tale of Mal'ahkt".. I will post the story in a sec, but lets finish this idea up first. The name similarity, the similarities appearance and past wise.. The prefix ri- indicates repetition. As an independent word ri means again. Rikantus is a clever name for a copy of Kantus, if you ask me. I dont know why he would abandon his name and family unless he was forced in to the service of this "Theer" fellow, hence the "Servant of Theer" thing and wanted to get out of it. His last name is also a little peculiar.. what's a better way to abandon an immortal past than to nearly assume the surname "Mortal"? Thoughts? (Edit, Ahkt not akht)

Jaraxx tells you, 'Why did you die? Man up. Ask for DI from your priests'

You tell Jaraxx, 'I had a "save" running..'

http://tinyurl.com/PaladinFeedback
Maergoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Maergoth

Loremaster

This book is found RIGHT next to Kantus in a curiously familiar flesh-bound tome. 1001 Tales of Maj'Dul - by Odyllus, the Oracle of Lifire. The pages look blank. There is a line with an 'x' beside it. Once upon a time there was a trotter named the great. The trotter came across a book, a mysterious book empty of tales, but filled with potential wonders. There was no title to the book, but it pleaded for one. Now the book was not good, not good at all. The dark black flesh bound cover reeked of this. The book also reeked of magic, a magic waiting for a title... waiting... waiting... Curiosity plagued the mind of this trotter. "Could I name the tale to be told" the trotter wondered. "Would the tale be a foreboding one regardless of good intentions?" pondered the trotter. They say "curiosity killed the kerran" and this was a fact well known. But "those who risk reap the rewards" as well can be heard. Slowly, ever so slowly, took the pen from the quill and began to scribe the title of the tale... It began long ago in the days when the Dal roamed the land and the sand was a lustrous green. This was the Elddar the great forest from which all sprang. It was within the majesty of this green that the Dal came to exist. Within the towering Elddar pines the Dal constructed a great city and in this great city they paid tribute to the gods that graced Norrath with the Elddar and all that is green and good. This great society was one of benevolence and together the Dal and the Elddar did prosper from such goodness. There was a day when a Dal named Mal'Ahkt questioned the power of benevolence and grew curious of darker arts. Mal'Ahkt wished to delve into the Dal's hidden vault of such things, a place where they hide such things for the good of all that breath. Such a place was the Pagoda of Tal'Thex. The Pagoda of Tal'Thex was known to few. It was constructed far to the Southwest beyond the jungles, beyond the hills and bordering the Buried Sea. In the land barren of life the great citadel was built. Only here could the Dal hide evil from evil. Mal'Ahkt had learned of the Pagoda of Tal'Thex from a dying old man, dying from the clutches of Mal'Ahkt that were wrapped around his wrinkled neck. This elder had constructed the great guardians of stone that crept across the dead lands. These were the Guardians of Tal'Thex. The Guardians of Tal'Thex were behemoths of handmade stone. Great magical blocks stacked in a towering obelisk. For many suns and many moons great mages would bombard the obelisk with great powers, forming it into the most powerful constructs to ever lumber. As the obelisk's power shined bright within the obelisk was transported to the land it would be bound to. The Guardians of Tal'Thex would find their place in the barren land between the pagoda and all else. Here in this land devoid of life the greatest sculptors of Dal carved the obelisks into towering warriors. And there the sculptors would give their life. The land that was barren drained all creatures of life and the sculptors knew of this, but did their art for the protection of Norrath. As they completed the sculpting of the titanic Guardians of Tal'Thex, life ebbed from their bodies. A few of the sculptors attempted to escape the death of the hills, but only one escaped the grasp of the hills. The sculptor was Haldinous of Rynthele and he lived to sculpt again. Haldinous of Rynthele lived a great grand life, sculpting for many empires and telling tales of dead hills. He lived a long and prosperous life after escaping the hills, but his work there would lead the evil Mal'Ahkt's hands around the frail neck of the sculptor. In final gasps the location of the Pagoda of Tal'Thex was given, as was the secret to Haldinous' escape from the barren hills. Haldinous of Rynthele knew his trip to the dead hills would see the end of his life, unless his power of sculpture could provide him with a means to save him from the deadly clutches of the hills. Haldinous had learned of the Clay of Cosgrove, magical clay taken from the planes themselves. This could make a new life. In great stealth Haldinous acquired a portion of the Clay of Cosgrove that rested in the Workshop of Alidon, home to the greatest of sculptors. With but a simple pinch of the clay Haldinous was able to fashion and identical match to himself. All that was missing was a mind. Haldinous began to carve magic words into the golem of his self. These magic words would temporarily transfer a portion of his self into the golem. In a great fury of pain the golem came to life and there Haldinous stood staring at himself from himself. With this new body of clay he shall march in and out of the dead hills. Haldinous marched across the barren hills in a body of magic clay. He found the transported obelisk of the Guardian of Tal'Thex he was to sculpt, one of many. Other sculptors worked feverishly to complete the sculpture before their bodies would die. Haldinous would lose his life, a life of clay. Back in a secret place the real Haldinous sprang to full life! He had managed to survive, but could not tell the empire who would frown on the use of the sacred Clay of Cosgrove. He gathered his notes and hid them away. He emerged days later to tell a fable of his journey in the land of dead hills. Haldinous grew old and became a friend to all mages. His love of mead and good song often brought about whispers of his past exploits. It was his whisper of the Pagoda of Tal'Thex that reached the ear of Mal'Ahkt. The evil mage forced the secret from the now old and enfeebled man. Now he had the location of the vault of evil artifacts the Pagoda of Tal'Thex and a way past the dead hills. The evil mage Mal'Ahkt would see the end of a few more Dal's before he began his journey in a body of clay. In the secret lab of the dead Haldinous Mal'Ahkt found a smidgen of the Clay of Cosgrove to form his clay self. After his sculpting was complete he began to scribe the magic words and transfer his soul and the clay Mal'Ahkt opened his eyes. In amazement the new Mal'Ahkt stared before himself with a smile and smirk of the plunder to come. As he smiled he began to hear a laugh not his own. He stared at his other self and saw two hands reach about it with a dagger at his other throat. "You are a fool" said the being behind his real self. In a shock he saw Haldinous' face emerge from the shadows. "I cannot die, I am clay forever as are you." With a bloody swipe the real Mal'Ahkt fell to the floor. The clay Mal'Ahkt could not move! He had used a false clay stored as the true thing. The evil mage had been fooled. Haldinous never was two. Haldinous was always clay, given life from a sculptor to live a secret life amidst the living. He aged himself appropriately and even would accept deconstruction at an appropriate age to mimic his new fellow residents. Haldinous was as much a Dal as any, swearing allegiance to their causes such as the keeping of the secret of the Pagoda of Tal'Thex. Mal'Ahkt was fooled into a near immobile body of inferior clay. Haldinous then began work on his final work with the now helpless soul of Mal'Ahkt. Haldinous formed a final Guardian construct for the Elddar Empire, one to wage war against undead empires, one that needed a dab of dark arts. And so the sentience of Mal'Ahkt was painfully removed and all his great power used to form the construct defender called the Guardian of Nief. Mal'Ahkt was foolish to betray his people and paid his full price. His soul is now in a void of oblivion and his powers within the guardian. Mal'Ahkt is no more. - The End

Old 07-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Cusashorn

Loremaster

Everling is found in Antonica, living out his days at the cemetary.

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
AnAnimatedcorpse

Loremaster

Wow, great find! I would have never noticed the name similarities, even if I have dealt with both NPC's quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if your finds proved to be correct.

Makes me want to go see if there voice-overs are the same.

AnAnimatedcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
Kaiser Sigma

Loremaster

Cusashorn wrote:

Will you ever have something useful to say other than one line statements that are nothing more than subtle spam? Maergoth that stuff sounds very interesting, definitely something worth looking into. Most likely there's a connection there. =)
Kaiser Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
Cusashorn

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:
Cusashorn wrote:

Will you ever have something useful to say other than one line statements that are nothing more than subtle spam? Maergoth that stuff sounds very interesting, definitely something worth looking into. Most likely there's a connection there. =)
For better or worse, I reply to every thread made on this board. Now would you rather have me said that line above, or would you rather me be a jerk and say everything that what Maergoth is trying to show was discussed a long time ago when Vhalen told me about the Idol of Everling?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:59 AM   #7
CyriexVTZ

Loremaster

well, as a frequent visitor to this board Cusa, I personally would prefer not to see you replying to every post here..  but hey thats just me.. Can anyone give more information about this Everling in an Antonican cemetery? I don't believe I've ever spotted him..
Old 07-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #8
Siufu

Loremaster

Maergoth wrote:
To cut to the chase.. I propose that Kantus Mor'Tael is the original Everling, and the everling we have been dealing with is simply a clay golem copy.
I think at the time Everling went to the void for finding a way to save his daughters, he is captured by the shadowmen. His soul was divided into three pieces or more. One was put back into his body, now wondering in the Commonlands. One was put into the merchant Mor'Tael. Another one is in NC3, in the form of a ghost.
Siufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
Controlor

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:
well, as a frequent visitor to this board Cusa, I personally would prefer not to see you replying to every post here..  but hey thats just me.. Can anyone give more information about this Everling in an Antonican cemetery? I don't believe I've ever spotted him..
Follow the wall in Ant between both TS ents. The main one and the one behiend the waterfall. He is in a little offshoot in the wall. He gives a quest that eventually leads you into nek castle.
Controlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #10
Druisagoldengod

Loremaster

Here is the gist of the idea that I've been toying around with.  Sifu already hit on some of it. While trying to get into the Ethernene, Rikantus is taken over by a shadowman, as shadowmen do as written in OOLS scrolls, possibly named Mor'Tael.  This would explain the Merchant of Oblivion part. Then what does Servant of Theer mean?  Ah well you see, Theer is the "leader" or a great one in the ranks of Shadowmen.  Keep in mind that Aeteok is the "right hand of Theer" as stated in the SoD timeline.  I imagine Enoxus is his left hand being its sister sword.  This fits in nicely with why both swords have void glyphs on them yes? Bah, just an idea of mine at best. Amondus 70 Shadow Knight Ghosts of War Permafrost
Druisagoldengod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
Kaiser Sigma

Loremaster

Cusashorn wrote:
For better or worse, I reply to every thread made on this board. Now would you rather have me said that line above, or would you rather me be a jerk and say everything that what Maergoth is trying to show was discussed a long time ago when Vhalen told me about the Idol of Everling?
Post count doesn't mean your posts amount to anything. Personally, I'd rather see you stop the neverending spam and let people have it their way unless your replies will contain some sustance of sorts instead of near monosilabic mumblings that for some bizarre reason you expect people to take as law. Maergoth took the time to dig up lore, to draw conclusions, to try and tie knots. People got hooked up, they like to think about stuff. Let them be, let people find out on their own even if it's just to reach a dead alley. To the rest of posters in this thread I apologize for the off topicness. But please, don't let people like Ouka stop you from dwelling in the beautiful lore of this game. Keep up the theories, they are awesome reading. =)
Kaiser Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
Maergoth

Loremaster

I don't want to soak up any finds here that werent my own.. I owe anything I may have found to Sro's post on the Everling Idol / Speeroc Collection post.. http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=187355 I'll be looking into this more.. Nektropos 3 has alot of nifty stuff in there about the void and the family.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
Druisagoldengod

Loremaster

Dang, someone hates you Cusa. Personally I've always found C-Dawg to be a great asset on the boards.  I would much rather come up with a theory and be told otherwise on the forums than continue on perpetuating the idea that was fundamentally flawed.  One thing I have not approved of is attacks on individuals like Karel has done.  But, then again, w/e not like my approval means anything. /hijack off. No responses to my theory??! Amondus Do`Barratus 70 Shadow Knight Ghosts of War Permafrost
Old 07-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #14
Cusashorn

Loremaster

Your Shadowman Body-snatcher theory might have something to it. I remember that both Mor'Tael and Everling say something very desperate about trying to escape, and keeping us away for our own safety... As if they momentarily regained control of thier conciousnesses.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #15
Druisagoldengod

Loremaster

I thought I remembered something like that.  When going through all that mess that occurred during and soon thereafter of Nek3 I really became lost.  "Talk to this guy with your idol and  with the other three books"  No not with the other three books... etc. At some point I did hail Mor'Tael with my idol and he did say something about trying to escape... and I can't exactly recall, but at that point I thought I came across something which initially led me to think that Mor'Tael could be in some way Rikantus... but funny part is I could never replicate that when I hailed him with all sorts of different items in my inventory.  And go figure, I had my logs turned off  =( Anyone have the convo I am describing? Amondus Do`Barratus 70 Shadow Knight Ghosts of War Permafrost
Old 07-13-2007, 01:09 AM   #16
Maergoth

Loremaster

I dont mind Cusa's posts 90% of the time, but he did take a whack at assassinating my thread and that's not really cool SMILEY But please, if there's anything worse than shooting a thread down, it's derailing it.. keep it on topic please SMILEY

Old 07-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #17
Maergoth

Loremaster

Hmm.. Found further info today in Nektulos 1, All the other creatures in there are these patchwork monstrosities, and the only daughter that was truely reconstructed it looks like was completely normal looking.. no seams, not undead.. I dont remember which, but upon her death she dropped a Golem Motive Prism.. This seems to be pointing just a little more to the magic clay thing that I was talking about before.