EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Fan Faire 2007-2011
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 04:13 PM   #91
Goome

Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2
Default

TemptingFait wrote:
Teyener wrote:
angelkis wrote:
You know I really don't care where wins this poll cause either way I will be sitting in the nice florida sun enjoying myself. It would be nice however to have FF in florida for a change. Everything happens on the west coast and us east coast people always have to travel if we want to go. So for a change it would be nice for us east coasters not to travel as far.
I'll join ya at the theme parks!

Ummmm excuse me??? Atlanta isn't that far from Florida, many kids drive to Fl from Atlanta for spring break, so your "everything happens on the west coast" is incorrect, I flew to Atlanta from Pheonix last year, I'd prefer to be closer to home this year. 

Been to 7 of these, and will have to pass if it goes to Orlando or Denver (can't chance my flying dollars on getting snowed out, can't chance getting snowed in) and there's NO way I'm going to go to Florida where it's so humid I wouldn't be able to breathe.

Tempting Fait

Drinal 

Quite funny, it's obvious to those that live here, you don't know what you're talking about.  March is one of the most beautiful times of the year here.  No humidity, cool temperatures, and the scenery on the beach is unsurpassed.
Goome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:33 PM   #92
ocam

Happy Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17
Default

Eithne wrote:

OMG.  How many times does it have to be stated...

IT DOES NOT SNOW THAT MUCH IN DENVER.

Go west into the mountains?  Yeah, your snow concerns are valid.

Climate of Denver

The climate of Denver, although frequently unpredictable and rather misunderstood by most, is really rather pleasant. Denver, lying on the east side of the mountains and located on the plains of the state, experiences the benefit of a weather barrier, a winter snow shield that we call the Rocky Mountains. Occasionally a major snow storm will impact the area and leave a significant amount of snow upon metro residents, yet the winters and summers remain mostly dry, averaging 8-15 inches of precipitation a year. Ranging from an average of 69 degrees in the summer to a standard 45-degree day in the winter, the city and suburbs stay mild and arid year-round. Also, Colorado State displays over 300 days of sunshine per year, more annual golden sunbeams than even San Diego California!

from: http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com...out_region.html

Except you are missing a pretty important part of the equation...Denver is only the destination city...What about the rest of the places people will be coming from, OR going back to...Snow is still a very real possibility in early March in a large portion of the country... And being from Denver I can tell you, history shows that if there is going to be a large snow event in Denver, it's usually in early March and if not snow, rain, COLD and nasty rain...Who wants to have Fan Faire in the rain?? ...Even though I am from Denver I personally wouldn't advise anyone to vote for the event there in March...June would be fantastic, not March...I voted for Vegas...
ocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:46 PM   #93
Eith

Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4
Default

*boggle*  You apparently live in a VERY different part of Denver than I do if you are used to lots of cold, nasty rain in the winter.  SMILEY  In fact, there was so little precipitation of any kind this past winter, people were WATERING their lawns, trees and shrubs in January, February and March. Not to mention, it so rarely rains for anything longer than a couple of hours, it's office conversation the next day if it does.  I WELCOME the rain here because there is so little of it.  You wanna experience rain?  I invite you to Pittsburgh, PA.  Hello 300 days of sunshine Colorado!

Not to mention that if people are traveling FROM areas prone to snow, cold, etc, they're going to be experiencing the weather no matter which destination is chosen.

Eith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:08 PM   #94
ocam

Happy Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17
Default

Eithne wrote:

*boggle*  You apparently live in a VERY different part of Denver than I do if you are used to lots of cold, nasty rain in the winter.  SMILEY  In fact, there was so little precipitation of any kind this past winter, people were WATERING their lawns, trees and shrubs in January, February and March. Not to mention, it so rarely rains for anything longer than a couple of hours, it's office conversation the next day if it does.  I WELCOME the rain here because there is so little of it.  You wanna experience rain?  I invite you to Pittsburgh, PA.  Hello 300 days of sunshine Colorado!

Not to mention that if people are traveling FROM areas prone to snow, cold, etc, they're going to be experiencing the weather no matter which destination is chosen.

You need to read what was written...I said I LIVED in Denver, for 23 years, was born there and went to school there...BUT I moved away 13 years ago...BUT before I graduated from CU Denver I did learn a thing or 2 about the weather there...Like March is historically the wettest month of the winter, with an average snow fall amount of nearly 9 inches, AND 24 days of March the temperature will go below freezing....So the chances of having snow are about 1 in 3 and it will be below freezing probably every night....So instead of towels at the pool in Vegas, you can all bundle up in your winter coats and go outside to do next to nothing.. Does this sound like a good time to you? Or don't you care since you don't have to fly or drive very far....Most of us will be using vacation days and we would like the weather to be nice, not cold or wet... And as far as you last point there....try again...the Vegas FF dates are in JUNE, so unless you are coming from say....above the artic circle I doubt anyone will need to worry about snow...
ocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:23 AM   #95
Igie

Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 95
Default

Eithne wrote:

*boggle*  You apparently live in a VERY different part of Denver than I do if you are used to lots of cold, nasty rain in the winter.  SMILEY  In fact, there was so little precipitation of any kind this past winter, people were WATERING their lawns, trees and shrubs in January, February and March. Not to mention, it so rarely rains for anything longer than a couple of hours, it's office conversation the next day if it does.  I WELCOME the rain here because there is so little of it.  You wanna experience rain?  I invite you to Pittsburgh, PA.  Hello 300 days of sunshine Colorado!

Not to mention that if people are traveling FROM areas prone to snow, cold, etc, they're going to be experiencing the weather no matter which destination is chosen.

March is prone to snow for two of the destinations because of the month. The Las Vegas date, no one is prone to being snowed into or out of the airport. Rain delays yes are possible. As for Denver weather in March (Source TWC at www.weahter.com) http://www.weather.com/outlook/trav...105?from=search Average high 54 degrees Average low 25 degrees (that's BELOW freezing) Average Precip 1.28in (which is the highest for the winter months)
Igie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:45 AM   #96
ocam

Happy Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17
Default

Igie wrote:
Eithne wrote:

*boggle*  You apparently live in a VERY different part of Denver than I do if you are used to lots of cold, nasty rain in the winter.  SMILEY  In fact, there was so little precipitation of any kind this past winter, people were WATERING their lawns, trees and shrubs in January, February and March. Not to mention, it so rarely rains for anything longer than a couple of hours, it's office conversation the next day if it does.  I WELCOME the rain here because there is so little of it.  You wanna experience rain?  I invite you to Pittsburgh, PA.  Hello 300 days of sunshine Colorado!

Not to mention that if people are traveling FROM areas prone to snow, cold, etc, they're going to be experiencing the weather no matter which destination is chosen.

March is prone to snow for two of the destinations because of the month. The Las Vegas date, no one is prone to being snowed into or out of the airport. Rain delays yes are possible. As for Denver weather in March (Source TWC at www.weahter.com) http://www.weather.com/outlook/trav...105?from=search Average high 54 degrees Average low 25 degrees (that's BELOW freezing) Average Precip 1.28in (which is the highest for the winter months)
Yes and keep in mind that precip is measured in liquid. 1 inch of rain equals 8-10 inches of snow... It's going to be cold and miserable in Denver in March...
ocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:02 AM   #97
Raki

The Quiet Type
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 17
Default

West coast is winning go figure! CONSPIRACY!! (ok that was a conspiracy theory. Go ahead and delete it.)
Raki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #98
Eith

Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4
Default

I never said Denver was a tropical paradise.  What I was attempting to do was counter this idea that Denver is a deep freeze.  It is not.  I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA, which had much, much colder, snowier, lingering winters, on average, than those I've experienced in Denver.

Yes, it snows in Denver.  Yes, it gets cold here.  But you have to admit, that the MAJORITY of the time, any snow that falls is gone the next day.  We don't have a solid month of sub 20 degree temperatures in Denver - that's in the daytime, not even considering where temp goes after dark.  The idea that Fan Faire in Denver is going to be some horrid, miserable, North Pole experience by default is off base, if you'll be honest about it.

I have plenty of money to fly to Vegas and have a blast there.  I believe Denver and Colorado have a TON to offer to any visitor, any time of the year.  Plus, having it in Denver enables me to put up friends and guildmates who otherwise would not be able to afford to go to Fan Faire no matter where it's held.  If that makes me selfish, so be it.

Vegas has had Fan Faire before.  If you're going to throw the selfish card around, who is REALLY being selfish by refusing to consider alternate venues?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and their choice of where they would like it to be.  That's why we get to vote.  But don't trash a city's chances by painting an exaggerated impression.  300 days of sun in CO.  That leaves 65 cloudy days.  Odds are not every day in March is going to be cloudy. Or cold. Or rainy. Or covered in snow.

I wore a coat one week this past winter, and that was in December.

Eith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #99
Ashlanne

Project Manager
Ashlanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 374
Default

For those that are currently unable to post a reply or vote in the poll I apologize.  We are trying to find a solution to this problem.  We may look at extending the poll another week if a solution can not be found before August 25th.

Thank you all for your patience, I will keep you updated.

Ashlanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:57 PM   #100
Ashlanne

Project Manager
Ashlanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 374
Default

Those who were unable to vote should be able to now.  If you are still having an issue please send me a PM.

Thanks guys

Ashlanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:46 PM   #101
ocam

Happy Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17
Default

Eithne wrote:

I never said Denver was a tropical paradise.

Exactly my point...the other 2 locations kinda are much nicer now aren't they.....Thank you for making my point...Like I said, If it were June I would be all over Denver, Since I would get to see family and friends while I was there...but not in March, no way...
ocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:24 AM   #102
yodam

Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2
Default

Denver!Center of the US, equal travel from all coasts.  Plus, Colorado is the best state in the union!  (but dont move here!  SMILEY )
yodam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:03 AM   #103
Eith

Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4
Default

ocam wrote:
Eithne wrote:

I never said Denver was a tropical paradise.

Exactly my point...the other 2 locations kinda are much nicer now aren't they.....Thank you for making my point...Like I said, If it were June I would be all over Denver, Since I would get to see family and friends while I was there...but not in March, no way...
I didn't make your point for you... and do not agree that either destination is nicer.  Personally, I dislike FL intensely.  I went there every year for vacation growing up.  High humidity and large ugly bugs are not my thing.  Also, I don't have a lot of desire to go to the desert.. esp in June.  I'm not big into gambling or showgirls.  I'd rather be here in Denver with sunny skies and average daytime temps of 54 than in FL or NV.  Not everyone is into the tropics.
Eith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:20 AM   #104
Bunda

Happy Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 22
Default

Apparently this has all been gone over...Denver is NOT the center of the country (The center of the US is in Kansas about 400 miles east of Denver) and the air fare is indeed about 25% higher from most locations to Denver than to Vegas. (thank you to my sister the travel agent) Yet, those of you who are defending holding the fan faire in Denver are probably doing more harm than good...I read through the posts here and I see people posting about driving hours to find something to do, or how the daily temp will be 54 degrees...but in the sunshine...as if that will make the temperature at 54 OK...or how when it does snow it's gone the next day...then I see the posts about Vegas and Orlando how the weather will be warm, probably mostly dry, WALKING to fun things to do and to top it off, at least in the case of Las Vegas, it's MUCH less expensive..I can't really even believe that they would consider holding this event in Denver in the Winter...
Bunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:14 AM   #105
ocam

Happy Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17
Default

WOW what an exciting race! Vegas was in the lead by nearly 80 votes, I went to take a shower, came back 20 minutes later and Denver had taken the lead! how exciting!
ocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #106
Misstre

Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maelin
Posts: 3
Default

When the poll is over will we be able to book the room or have to wait closer to the date of the fan fair that wins?
Misstre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:23 PM   #107
Raki

The Quiet Type
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 17
Default

Sucks that about half the people that voted Orlando did'nt come back and vote again. Orlando could have easily taken the lead in the old post.

West Coast still sucks.

~the sore loser.

Inappropriate comments removed

Raki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #108
Ashlanne

Project Manager
Ashlanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 374
Default

Misstress wrote:
When the poll is over will we be able to book the room or have to wait closer to the date of the fan fair that wins?

It would probably be wise to wait until we announce that a contract has been signed before booking rooms and flights.

Ashlanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #109
Igie

Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 95
Default

I have nothing against Denver at all. (Orlando, well I used to live there and am maybe biased against it). I've been to Devner several times (hugh Avs and Broncos fan) and I have been snowed out of going a couple times. If it were more in the Spring/Summer time, I'd be more then happy with Denver. Fact is, people in the Northren part of the country and the North West especially run the risk of getting snowed out of their plans. Same applies to Orlando becasue those north depature points are prone to bad snows in March. Vegas is the only date where people should not run into that problem. (P.S. Ashlanne, do you check your PMs? There is something I need to ask you)
Igie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:55 PM   #110
Ber

Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Default

ok well i'm sorry if this gets removed for refering to the conspiracy theroy, but i just felt i had to post it...

I really wish orlando would win because this is for my birthday present and it and denver are the only 2 locations i could really do much in, because in vegas from what i heard it seems a lot of drinking and such...plus im an east coaster and i wouldnt want to fly all the way out to vegas (like 10 hours not counting waiting) for a fan faire that will last just about as long as the flights... SMILEY

Well yeah thats all i have to say, i just felt i needed to tell someone SMILEY

Ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:17 PM   #111
Ashlanne

Project Manager
Ashlanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 374
Default

Igie wrote:
I have nothing against Denver at all. (Orlando, well I used to live there and am maybe biased against it). I've been to Devner several times (hugh Avs and Broncos fan) and I have been snowed out of going a couple times. If it were more in the Spring/Summer time, I'd be more then happy with Denver. Fact is, people in the Northren part of the country and the North West especially run the risk of getting snowed out of their plans. Same applies to Orlando becasue those north depature points are prone to bad snows in March. Vegas is the only date where people should not run into that problem. (P.S. Ashlanne, do you check your PMs? There is something I need to ask you)
Of course I check my PMs SMILEY usually once every hour or so when I am at work.
Ashlanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:18 PM   #112
Sassums

Lord of the Forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 79
Default

Ashlanne wrote:
Igie wrote:
I have nothing against Denver at all. (Orlando, well I used to live there and am maybe biased against it). I've been to Devner several times (hugh Avs and Broncos fan) and I have been snowed out of going a couple times. If it were more in the Spring/Summer time, I'd be more then happy with Denver. Fact is, people in the Northren part of the country and the North West especially run the risk of getting snowed out of their plans. Same applies to Orlando becasue those north depature points are prone to bad snows in March. Vegas is the only date where people should not run into that problem. (P.S. Ashlanne, do you check your PMs? There is something I need to ask you)
Of course I check my PMs SMILEY usually once every hour or so when I am at work.
Ashlanne is awesome at responding to PM's, she is on the ball! SMILEY
Sassums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:20 PM   #113
yodam

Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2
Default

March is our Snowiest month!  Skiing!  Boarding!  Get out from behind your computers and tear it up on the slopes! And besides, Denver IS not only the center of the US, it's the center of the world!  I know, because I can draw a line from Denver in any direction on the globe and meet on the opposite side at precisely the same distance!  That makes it the center!  SMILEY Don't bother me with logic, I'm living a mile high! Got Snow?
yodam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #114
Bunda

Happy Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 22
Default

Thank you for that enlightened information about snow! I know I want to come to Denver in March at the end of the winter when all i want to think about is spring and go play in snow after driving to the slopes 2 hour away! Sounds like a blast.. What I really would like to know is how Denver keeps geting 50-60 votes in a matter of 30-60 minutes and pulls ahead of Vegas...
Bunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #115
Igie

Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 95
Default

Bunda wrote:
Thank you for that enlightened information about snow! I know I want to come to Denver in March at the end of the winter when all i want to think about is spring and go play in snow after driving to the slopes 2 hour away! Sounds like a blast.. What I really would like to know is how Denver keeps geting 50-60 votes in a matter of 30-60 minutes and pulls ahead of Vegas...
I know how. And hopefully it will stop Soon™
Igie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:58 PM   #116
Igie

Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 95
Default

Ashlanne wrote:
Igie wrote:
I have nothing against Denver at all. (Orlando, well I used to live there and am maybe biased against it). I've been to Devner several times (hugh Avs and Broncos fan) and I have been snowed out of going a couple times. If it were more in the Spring/Summer time, I'd be more then happy with Denver. Fact is, people in the Northren part of the country and the North West especially run the risk of getting snowed out of their plans. Same applies to Orlando becasue those north depature points are prone to bad snows in March. Vegas is the only date where people should not run into that problem. (P.S. Ashlanne, do you check your PMs? There is something I need to ask you)
Of course I check my PMs SMILEY usually once every hour or so when I am at work.
Well you know, I have TH all day over on the SWG forums and Zat on the PS forums. Sometimes it's a toss up SMILEY
Igie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:04 AM   #117
Bunda

Happy Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 22
Default

Igie check your PMs please.
Bunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:49 AM   #118
lornick

SOE Community Council
lornick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1
Default

Denver FTW
lornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:03 AM   #119
Bunda

Happy Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 22
Default

It just strikes me odd, and I know I am not the only one who has seen this, Denver would be trailing by upward of 80 votes and in a matter of 15-20 minutes they are in the lead by nearly 20 votes...Now i don't know what's going on, but it seems very strange, especially when I have witnessed it 2 times where it would have been very early in the morning in Denver...Like between 5:30 and 7 AM when most people who play would be asleep or going to work...I don't want to sound like I am sounding a conspiracy alarm, I just want this to be a FAIR poll..maybe the guy who said this poll wasn't a good idea was right..
Bunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:19 AM   #120
Crolack

The Quiet Type
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2
Default

I actually care less where it is, I do care when it is MARCH = BAD.

Please give us better dates. June is good for me, that's why I voted for Vegas.

April was perfect.

Crolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:08 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.