EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Mortac

Loremaster

Having played MMOs for the past 12 years, I've learned that playing the wrong class can actually break a game for many people. You simply won't enjoy the game in the same way for a number of reasons. You might not like the playstyle, the capabilities, or role of your class, to name a few.

So in every RPG and MMO there are plenty of posts asking, "what should I play?". Well, the question to that is always best answered by yourself, but might be hard to answer because you haven't asked yourself the right questions. These are the kind of questions I always ask myself before creating a character, and then base my choice on what remains:

The order in which you ask these questions doesn't really matter, because the important thing here is this: You begin with a list of all available classes. After each question asked, you should either remove all classes that don't pass the question, or give points to the ones that do. What will remain in the end are classes that suit your need perfectly, or those that suit your needs the most.

So onto the questions:

1) How well do I want to be able to solo?

2) Will I ever get serious about raiding?

3) Is there one or more roles I feel like playing more than others (Healer, Tank, DPS)?

4) Do the people I play with regularly play classes that are missing a certain type of character (Healer, Tank, DPS, crowd controller, melee/caster buffer etc.)?

5) For Everquest 2, do I prefer to play good or evil, or it doesn't matter?

6) Do I prefer to melee or cast spells, or perhaps a hybrid?

7) Do I prefer my character to look a certain way, such as wear plate or robes? Shield or not?

8) How good do I want my DPS or group/raid utility to be? I.e. kill things super quick, kill things safely, run fast, teleport, resurrections, little downtime etc.

9) Does any class have a mechanic or playstyle that I simply do not like or do not feel like playing? Then remove these.

10) What remains now is the most important question: which of the remaining classes do I FEEL the most like playing? Sometimes, this is the only question you need to ask yourself. However, if you still have a few options, put one class versus another, and ask yourself which you would rather play, then pass one and put that class vs the next.

This should cut the list of classes quite a bit. I haven't listed here which classes actually pass each question, but at least it might lead you on the right way of knowing what you want out of a class, and then pick one out of that.

Mortac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
brightwhite

Loremaster

those are great questions for someone who doesn't know what class to choose! I hope it gets a Sticky in the New Players Tips & Tricks forum!

brightwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Beef_Supre

General

I agree thoroughly.. very well done!

It's truly hard in EQ2, even more so than most other MMO's, to narrow down just what class you want to play. Stepping back, being objective, and trying to answer questions like these goes a long way towards helping with a decision.

I'd throw in two additional points of interest, personally, though they don't apply to everyone:

1. Do you plan to Roleplay to any extent? If so, do you like the theme and persona of your chosen race/class?

Is there a Guild that suits this decision, or a RPing channel?

2. Battlegrounds. Some love em, some hate em.. but they ARE here to stay, and if this might ever be a factor for you,

then a class that excels in them (read in the Forums for help!)  might be a good choice.

http://big-beef-mcquaid.mybrute.com
Beef_Supre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
MoonMonster

Loremaster

What would be even more helpful is some answers. SMILEY

No, I know that you can't tell people what they want to play. But someone new to EQ2 might not know what classes to remove from the list if, for example, they say 'Soloing is very important'. Or what's still in play if they want to raid some day.

But this is handy for people who've done some research.

MoonMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
CorpseGoddess

Loremaster

Nice post!  However, I would add what is the most important point (at least to me):

Am I having fun playing this character?  Is this enjoyable or so frustrating that I'm not having a good time?

That's always the deal-maker for me.  =)

Old 04-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Mortac

Loremaster

MoonMonster wrote:

What would be even more helpful is some answers.

No, I know that you can't tell people what they want to play. But someone new to EQ2 might not know what classes to remove from the list if, for example, they say 'Soloing is very important'. Or what's still in play if they want to raid some day.

But this is handy for people who've done some research.

Yes, definitely. Only problem is I'm not familiar with the game to such an extent that I would be able to provide one and feel comfortable with the answers. If somebody would like to fill in those answers, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

[email protected] wrote:

Nice post!  However, I would add what is the most important point (at least to me):

Am I having fun playing this character?  Is this enjoyable or so frustrating that I'm not having a good time?

That's always the deal-maker for me.  =)

Yes, agreed. I was thinking this would be part of the last two questions I listed.

Mortac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
kaboro

Loremaster

Almost each question in the list can have multiple and debatable answers and none of them has a single definite answer.

These are questions that have been subject to heated debates among players ever since mmos came to be.

Just a short little example: how good would you like to solo.

Different people see soloing in different ways. Some consider that killing (and thus leveling) quickly is a good solo class, others consider that good survivability and ability to handle hard mobs is a good solo class.

Others will tell you that all classes solo well and its the player not the class (thats mostly bull despite the fact it has a little truth to it).

I could go on and on, but in my mind a list of questions that have no answers is not very useful.

Im thinking maybe if players would come here and give answers on the questions they are most comfortable with, that would help, but then there would be many debates and the flood of contradictory information would not be very useful for a new player.

kaboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Elf_Queen

Loremaster

Or you could just do what most people do and play more then one toon=D It's a lot more complicated then picking one perfect class that fits you, and I think it's pretty rare now that people only play one given how easy it is to level. I for one don't Have a perfect toon I like to play it really depends on how Im feeling at a certain time, am I energetic and confident enough at that time to play a tank class, or do I want to lay back and cast? am I feeling nurturing and want to heal? The one pre req I have for my classes is that have to be able to solo efficiently. Other then that I love trying new ones and I don't think people should stress too much about picking the perfect class because there's so many you might enjoy.Who knows you might like a class you never thought you would? I never thought i'd like an illusionist but it's one of my favs now. I thought I would like my swashie more then I do but I find the relying on auto attacks irritating.

If you refuse to play alts then yeah the questions above are pretty important if you only want to focus on one, but make sure you find out what the class is like at level 90 with your aa's and class defining abilities because it can be quite different when you're leveling up. You will have to end up grouping/raiding eventually to progress more so if you're playing a melee healer as a solo class to DPS and have high survivability, well you're going to be the healer in a group and you should be prepared for the change in playstyle.. lots of questions but ultimately it's going to be where you end up that matters.

Elf_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator

The classes have been tweaked a few times since this thread was made, I am going to close it down.