EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > PVP Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
matt2004

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 194
Default

found this on a mmo site, its long, but worth the read....

quote;

Well the game is fun. I love the pve and classes but the pvp servers are terrible.

Heres how it goes...

You enter EQ2 and see a great game. If your a pvp fan your most certainly going to join a pvp server. Nagafen would be the best choice because it has somewhat a population but the population isnt what you think its going to be. At level 10 you are pvp enabled and then the game ends really.

As soon as you hit level ten you will be pvp enabled for good....there will be level-locked twinks camping every griffon (flight path), city door, EVERY low level zone and just about anywhere you go thats not in your city. These level-locked twinks arnt like WoW twinks in BGs. The twinks in EQ2 can take out full groups of normal players solo. If you mess up and roll the wrong class...solo pvp is totally out of the question for you. There are no battlegrounds and the only way to find pvp if you WANT to find it is run around aimlessly looking for an even fight. Scouts have a skill called tracking so if they come anywhere near your area your name will pop up on their list and they (and their group of twinks) will come straight to you and 1-2 shot you instantly. This happens over and over and over and over and over.

You will ask [Removed for Content] in general chat and you will be met with rude comments about how you need to learn to "twink" yourself and fight back. So...thats what i did. I spent a month running around noob zones harvesting materials to sell on the broker. You cant really farm nameds if your not twinked (or the right class) because you will have to fight twinks for the nameds. In this game 90% of the instances your enemies can enter....now this sounds fun...but trust me...its total crap.

About 1 or 2 times an hour normally you will harvest a rare that will sell for 20ish gold. That sounds great! well...to buy a level 12 mastercrafted chest piece it will cost you over 1 plat...that is over 100g....at level 12........ Thats just one piece of armor and you will need mastercrafted or legendary in EVERY slot if you want to kill ANYONE 1v1...no wait....if you want to have the CHANCE to kill anyone. If you cant find a group....your not going to do anything...because in this game, on pvp servers if your not grouped (no matter if your twinked or not) you have no chance...at all...period. Soloists consider yourself warned unless you choose to gank new players 24/7 like the rest of the total population. Back to the armor...after you come up with the ton of cash you need to buy the armor...then you will need full jewelery and adornments...so keep harvesting buddy.

Now, in this game...everytime you get a new skill it will be apprentice 1. Here is the spell order of upgrades...

Apprentice 1 (given for free)

Apprentice 2 (player crafted and total crap)

Apprentice 3 (player crafted and total crap)

Apprentice 4 (player crafted and total crap)

Adept 1 (loot drop and crap)

there are no adept 2s....that makes sense.........not!

Adept 3 (player crafted very expensive and will be the minimum if you want to do any damage to a pvper whatsoever)

Master 1 (rare loot from named mobs)

Master 2 (every 15 levels or so you will get a popup on screen and you can choose 1 spell to upgrade to master2 for free)

You have to upgrade EACH and EVERY spell that you wish to use in pvp. This is not just combat arts, buffs, debuffs, ALL of it. So...keep harvesting buddy.

Ok....on to AAs (alternate achievment points) There are 2 AA pages and you need to have ALL expansions to unlock both. If you dont have these...do not even consider rolling on a pvp server. More about aa's in a second.

At level 10, if you wish to compete whatsoever, you need to disable your combat xp. That means when you kill a mob you get nothing but the crap loot it drops. No advancement. The only way you advance is to complete a quest or kill a named mob for AA xp. When you complete a quest you will still earn a small amount of combat xp so you will level very very slowly. Why would you do this you ask? Because your enemies will have their AAs maxed (i played fora month and no clue how they max them, its hard) and AAs are EXTREMELY Important.

Ok, lets say you made it to level 12...which wont be very fast, because you disabled combat xp at 10. By this time you may have...5-8 AAs if your lucky. Lets say you have done what your supposed to and harvested and crafted and done every single [Removed for Content] thing you could to earn money and buy the stuff you need (i doubt you even make it this far when you see what a total joke fighting the hundreds of twinks with level 70s backing them and feeding them cash)

So..lets say you made it. Your level 12 with a few aa's and you have mastercrafted or fabled gear/jewlery/and adornments on EVERY SINGLE PIECE thats allowed. You say...ok now time for revenge. Well, lol if you dont have a group to roll with 24/7 sorry bud...better go harvest and start earning money for the next teir. Take your time though, cus with xp disabled for maximum AA gain...its gonna take you one HELL of a time to get to level 22 for the next set of good crafted gear. And...while your harvesting lol have fun getting rolled every 2-3 min from people ganking you. Think you found a private space? Well scouts can exploit the tracking page and just fly around on griffons from point one to point two and as soon as they see your name on track...they just simply jump off the griffon...and send you back to a rez point......including taking 75% of the cash you had on you and an item or two. So...yep, you guessed it...get back to harvesting. In eq2 pvp you drop 75% of your money per death...so you better bank often..and i mean really often. God forbid you walk out of city gates after youve walked away from broker and forgot to go back to bank....ugh..it happens.

Ok...your level 12-14 by now...saved up some AAs, got some decent gear, youve now been playing for about 2-3 weeks. Dont listen to what others say about how they can do all that in a week. Of course they can. They know what named drops every single piece, they have guilds protecting them...and if it gets bad...they can just log on their alt. The amount of crap you have to learn as an average new player its not gonna happen in a week, sorry. OK, your 12-14 and its been engraved into your brain man...i cant do ANYTHING without a group...so....you ask in chat for a group. If your name isnt recognized you will be lucky to get an invite. 90% of the people playing are afraid of losing their pvp titles (more about this in a minute) so they are VERY cautious about grouping with anyone outside of their "twinked circle".

Lets say you find a group....well buddy, you better hope and pray they have went through the hell you have...because if they arnt twinked to the max too....your still gonna get rolled over and over.

Ok, lets say your a patient man, like myself. Youve made it to level 20. You have about 20-25 AAs racked up, good gear and you can at least live over 5-10 seconds in a 1v1 fight...well...that depends on who your fighting. In eq2 pvp there is a class called a fury. They nuke harder (yes harder) than wizards or any other mage class at that level bracket and they can heal very very well. Their class is a healing class...but for some reason...Sony decides to not care about balance on pvp servers. Id say, without exageration that 70% of the pvp server will be a fury..or maybe a warden (the exact same thing both are druids except wardens are more defensive)..so....umm...yea i wonder why. another 20% will be scouts...very very few will play a mage or tank...just because of the total crap you have to go through.

Ok, lets say you found a GOOD group. They have decent gear. You are all in your low to mid 20s and you say...well...guys lets go kill some heroic nameds for more AA xp. GOTTA GET THOSE AAs!!! Sure! everyone says. Lets take Stormhold instance for example. You and your group goes to stormhold.....well, guess what, the pvp range here is 8 levels...so you and your low level 20 group are going to get rolled over and over by low level 30 twinks. LOL and you thought all that work you put in would matter.

Wait a second......i was told if i put in all this work to earn gear/spells/adornments it would get better? Naa lol. Because ANY place you go thats designed for level 20 will be an exact repeat of what you went through at level 10...except this time...its not a 4 level range....its an 8 level range. Once again, you and your group have no chance whatsoever.

Before long you will start thinking...wow, ive played so many pvp games and ill admit im not the best...but ive never felt so worthless and incompetent in any game ever. This will continue for your whole career. I dont care who comes here and tries to sugarcoat it, its how it is. All of that time you have commited and finally found a good group of twinks to roll with and your only option is to go camp low level players like they done to you? Because if you go into zones your level the level 30s, 40s, 50s...well you get the picture.

Keep in mind there are NO battlegrounds. There is NOTHING to keep players busy so they have no choice but to twink out. After the mid 30s...the roving gank squads tend to slow down because 80% of the game (not an exageration) is pvping in teir 2 or 3. (levels 10-20ish). Why you ask? Because there is hardly any population at higher tiers. Anyone that stuck it out and got to 60 gets rolled by guess what...nope not twinks....raiders, super twinks. because by this time there is no level range.

Get this....lets say youve put in the time required to get the gear and you found a solid group and youve now found the enemy....all they have to do is run to a zone line and zone out and have full immunity from anyone for 30 seconds......you follow them? sure you will....they will just zone again for more immunity....this is called zone hopping and 99% of any players will just zone hop untill you go away because when you get killed in pvp you have a chance at losing your pvp (ganker) title.

Why doesnt sony see these problems? lol this is sony. if you dont already know about sony look up SWG and what they did there...or vanguard.

I cannot believe a company that large with that many games under their belt lets this happen...but i said the same thing when i logged onto SWG and found my class's were no longer in game..........................................

So, by this time you are SO mad about all the time youve wasted you just ending camping players lower level than you just like what was done to you......is this what i call pvp? Nope. My idea of pvp is a totally different thing. Why didnt i post this on the eq2 officail boards? lol it gets even better...

The forums on EQ2 officail page dont allow any negative posts. I met someone that was banned from forums for saying antonia bayle was ugly.......(shes the queen.just an npc..) So, dont go to the forums and address your issues because anyone who has a real life to attend to and likes pvp quit this game long ago, so you will be mobbed with disgruntled players because they dont want to end their "god trip" in the game.

All in all, i can see why every pvp server other than 2 across 2 countries have been merged and 1 of those is in DIRE need of more players.

Everything ive described to you i had to go through twice because i made a mistake and rolled on venekor first...put in my time...and then had nobody to fight...so i went to nagafen..and oh yea theres population....but i think you know what population im talking about. There are serious issues in any game if your population would rather stay at level 14 to gank level 10s coming into game than level up and play with the big boys. Its really really a sad situation and i will never purchase another SoE product...ever. After this joke and the travesty that happened to SWG i will not do it.

You may say can i have your stuff...go back to WoW...whatever. Ive played every MMO that was released in the last 7 years thats had pvp and ive never ever seen a pvp rule-set in such a sad sad state. I want the last month of my life back but thats not gonna happen. I suggest you dont let that happen to you either.

unquote.

matt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Norrsken

Loremaster
Norrsken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,450
Default

I didnt quite have the endurance to read all of it, but I spotted a few factual errors in there actually. Quite interresting to make such a large slab of text kindof worthless just because you didnt take the time to really research how stuff works and get your facts straight.
__________________




Norrsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
matt2004

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 194
Default

you should read it. i agree with the post mostly. i still have fun ya but you cant really say hes lieing. thats why i posted it here. original copy is on mmorpg.com.
matt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
Wytie

Mouse Betrayer!
Wytie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,579
Default

Honestly PVP isnt for newbs and thats the prob really.........
__________________
Wytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #5
azekah

Loremaster
azekah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 818
Default

Wytie wrote:
Honestly PVP isnt for newbs and thats the prob really.........
wow, that's classic...I suppose you can go on fighting the same people over and over again until oblivion then...
azekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
matt2004

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 194
Default

i met a new player the other day....he seemed pretty down so i gave him a few plat. i could only give him 3 plat because i like to keep a good supply of cash juuuuuust incase lol. anyway, i could tell he was hesitant to take the cash...i didnt understand why. i told him dude its rough on new players just just need money...he ended up taking it.

i cant remember his name tho.....i wonder how hes doing.

matt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
TalisX1

Loremaster
TalisX1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 387
Default

Description sounds dead on accurate. However, if you want to compete with the twinks but don't want to spend months (like they did) aquiring the stuff to do so, then level. That's right level. With crap gear you can go in many places, including instances and do just fine. Get your main toon up over the twinks. Then go farm. I can easily make 2pp an hour on any class at 60+. Then by buy the stuff for your twink and return the beating to them. As the article states they are level locked so they will still be there when you come back. It will be alot quicker this way than harvesting endlessly on a toon that is too low for the zone you are harvesting in(level 9 harvesters) or being ganked by twinks over and over while you try to harvest in a level appropriate area. The twinks/level lockers deserve to play the way they want just like you do. I don't level lock. I don't find killing newbs very fun. I think 70 PVP is the most fun but my view is not the only view, so if you want to pvp at low levels spend the time harvesting or leveling. On a side note you just mind might find the higher level pvp more to your liking and decide not to make that twink after all.

Purplehase of Nagafen

 Edited for typos

TalisX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
q149

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Japan
Posts: 132
Default

He sounds like he has some sand in his vejayjay, but he is pretty right
q149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
Norrsken

Loremaster
Norrsken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,450
Default

matt2004 wrote:
you should read it. i agree with the post mostly. i still have fun ya but you cant really say hes lieing. thats why i posted it here. original copy is on mmorpg.com.
No, not saying heäs lying. Most of that post is true. But some of it is plain wrong, and what he seems to get wrong are the hard facts. I mean, there is no denying griefing goes on and all that. We all get griefed and do our share of griefing...and there is no denying that the twink armies put off new players. doesnt change the fact that its a huge amount of text, spiced up with errors, that says what has been said quite a few times already, only with a lot more words.
__________________




Norrsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #10
matt2004

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 194
Default

[email protected] wrote:
matt2004 wrote:
you should read it. i agree with the post mostly. i still have fun ya but you cant really say hes lieing. thats why i posted it here. original copy is on mmorpg.com.
No, not saying heäs lying. Most of that post is true. But some of it is plain wrong, and what he seems to get wrong are the hard facts. I mean, there is no denying griefing goes on and all that. We all get griefed and do our share of griefing...and there is no denying that the twink armies put off new players. doesnt change the fact that its a huge amount of text, spiced up with errors, that says what has been said quite a few times already, only with a lot more words.

as usual bud i agree with ya. i just wish sony would say something.....anything....heck i wish they would put a popup before you roll on pvp servers and explain this in a light-polite way.....

i just see no logic in them not doing anything whatsoever. i really miss the days when the pvp servers opened lol. we couldnt even lock back then could we?i dont remember

matt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #11
k9quaint

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 75
Default

Don't try to compete with the twinks on your main, just level past them to max, farm plat, then make a twink. Then again, thats why he is writing about MMO's instead of playing them. SMILEY
k9quaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
HerbertWalker

Loremaster
HerbertWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 396
Default

These are all great selling points to me.

I don't enjoy RPG's unless I can, over time, build towards domination of other players.

It's a niche market.   WoW is for the masses.

HerbertWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #13
Rattfa
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Purity
Rank: Friends And Family

General
Rattfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: England
Posts: 1,083
Default

I couldnt bear to read it all, because lets face it, he got owned hard and never recovered from it.I LOL'd irl at him spending a month harvesting rares, then spending a plat on one piece of armour off the broker, then couldnt read anymore.
__________________
Squeeeek, 80 Brigand - Nagafen

Rattface, 80 Fury - Nagafen
Rattfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #14
matt2004

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 194
Default

HerbertWalker wrote:

These are all great selling points to me.

I don't enjoy RPG's unless I can, over time, build towards domination of other players.

It's a niche market.   WoW is for the masses.

I agree with you that veterans or people that have put in the time should have an edge. But when will that edge be to much?

I dont think you understand that in a year, or maybe maybe 2....there will be nobody here to dominate. The upcoming year of MMO releases and you actually think this system will stand? C'mon. I have several twinks (really dont have a choice) and ive said before and ill say it again, there needs to be changes made.

PvP isnt about domination its about putting one human being against the other. In this game, its like putting 1 full grown human being against a 2 year old child, and then the adult laughing about it. Seriously, who will you dominate next year at this time? Oh...you think the servers will be fine heh? Look at populations a year ago, and look at them now. I love this game and hate to see it go out like that.

matt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #15
matt2004

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 194
Default

[email protected] wrote:
I couldnt bear to read it all, because lets face it, he got owned hard and never recovered from it.I LOL'd irl at him spending a month harvesting rares, then spending a plat on one piece of armour off the broker, then couldnt read anymore.

I dont think he got owned hard and never recovered... And he didnt spend a month harvesting rares. If you dont have the time to read a few paragraphs dont waste time posting nonsense that will get the post locked.

eq2flames is for thatSMILEY

matt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #16
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus
Rank: Tirones

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,240
Default

This is how PvP looks to most people who try it for a while. Thats not something that sounds good to me.
Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #17
HerbertWalker

Loremaster
HerbertWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 396
Default

I will be done with this game before another 1-2 years.   I will have had a great eq2 run spanning many years and many great times - action packed and full of adrenaline moments.

If the ability to suit up into extreme domination mode was not possible, it would not be for me.

This is just another great video game in my book, just like EQ1 was.   I did the same thing there - good times!  I'm thankful that they let us play like this.  The best thing about it is the huge advantage I have over most players.   I don't have mom threatening me to cancel my subscription.  I don't have classes to attend that will cut into the time I need to create my character to dominate.   I can take my time, and slowly but surely I will dominate - but only if the game allows a player to do that.

If the game did not permit such a strategy - lay low, build, and then come out and dominate - then I'd probably be bored with the lack of effect that I can have on the world/population.

This is a niche game, and it is understandable why most video game players would hate it.

I love that I can force my will upon other paying customers.

I do think it is totally silly.   I would not build a game this way.  I would build one like WoW, and market it to the masses.   Shallow, simple, and easy.   But I would still play EQ probably.

HerbertWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #18
matt2004

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 194
Default

thats cool man. i respect your opinion, im being serious. however, i want this game/pvp servers to be here in a year..im sorry, but i do.

i have had the lucky chance(s) to actually be in the beta of several upcoming releases, in fact, check my posting history, ive mentioned this before. These "godsend" games we are hoping for have a LOOOONG way to go before they will live up to the hype you read on the net. i promise you, from one gamer to another, there are a few games coming out that everyone thinks are going to be "da bomb" and guess what...they gonna bomb alright...straight to ebgames bargain shelf.

like ive said before, giving too much info is against rules of beta testing, but if you would do a few google/youtube searches i think you might find just what im talking about.

matt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #19
Vatec

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 473
Default

shaunfletcher wrote:
This is how PvP looks to most people who try it for a while. Thats not something that sounds good to me.
Sounds just like the Darktide server from Asheron's Call.  There were people who'd camp the newbie spawn points just to steal 50 pyreals (as I recall you'd drop 50% of the cash you were carrying and you started with 100 pyreals).  I tested it out once just for the heck of it.  Sure enough, even though I started in one of the less popular cities, before I could even run to the little starting dungeon, there was a level 20 archer raining death on my parade.The secret on that server was to simply run for the hills.  And stay out there levelling and levelling and levelling, until you were high enough level that a decent guild was convinced that you might stick around.  At that point, they'd invest their time into equipping you and power-levelling you, in return for you swearing to whichever of the mules in their rank hierarchy needed another follower.  At that point, you could actually PvP a bit.From talking to friends, I got the impression that UO suffered from similar issues.The problem is, when PvP is rolled out with essentially no structure (sure, there's Qeynos and Freeport, but there's no physical barrier to Qeynosians entering Freeport newbie areas and vice versa), it will devolve to ... this.  Much as I loathe Dark Age of Campalot (and believe me, I loathe it more deeply than any other game experience I've ever suffered through), they did get PvP almost right.  Three competing realms (always the most unstable situation according to international relations theory) with shared borders.  Low-level battlegrounds so it wasn't =all= about levelling up for the "big time."  Relatively well-balanced classes (compared to most games).  And areas where you could level in peace without being attacked.  You didn't get the best loot or xp in the safe zones, but you didn't have to worry about being stomped by a bunch of firbolg heroes and their chain-mezzing bard friends either.  Or being ganked one by one by some elven ranger or kobold(?) hunter.
__________________
54+ Ranger
28+ Berserker, 28+ Troubador, 26+ Fury, 25+ Templar, 25+ Bruiser, 22+ Inquisitor
21+ Dirge, 20+ Paladin, 15+ Conjuror, 14+ Assassin, 14+ Defiler, 13+ Shadowknight
and a few others

90 Provisioner, 41+ Woodworker, 34+ Carpenter
41+ Tailor, 30+ Armorer, 29+ Weaponsmith
70+ Jeweler, 51+ Alchemist, 29+ Sage

Living and dying on OASIS since 11/09/04
Vatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #20
matt2004

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 194
Default

and id just like to add...

We all know each other here, or i do. Do you realize that the pvp forums for eq2 consist of about the same 20-35ish players....thats it. We are the only ones that even care to come here and discuss things. that should say alot in itself.

yes, i know that very very small amounts of populations read pvp forums, or any game forums for that matter, mostly because they dont even know about them. that guy played for (1) month and knew about how you cant really discuss issues here or someone will say.....

"blah blah no. this is negative. sorry gotta lock the post."

When you cant even discuss the issues because some child came in and called someone a name...or the whole post gets locked...how in the world are we gonna solve anything at all? I firmly believe we play this game much much more than SoE employees do, im not ashamed to admit i spend MANY hours EVERY day playing this game. And i feel, personally, that these issues need to be addressed and commented on by a red name.

MMORPG = massively MULTI-player online roleplaying game. i want these servers to grow and prosper....and if we dont get these issues fixed, trust me, they gonna keep dwindling away. i wish i could walk away as easy as i did WoW cus your right, it is bland, simple and really just for kids. its a fun game for a year...really fun, but when that game gets stale...its verrry easy to put down.

however, pvp isnt about 2 shotting greens. and the rare chance our twink groups go up against other twink groups is when i have the real fun...but how often does that happen? hell, when it does happen and they think they might have a chance of losing, they just b-line for a zone and will zone-hop all night long.

i say SoE should implement zoning rules. you zone 1 time per 5 minutes in the same zone. you cannot enter a zone after you have left it for 5 minutes. THAT would make a major difference in itself. i think things would be very different if we didnt have our "immunity" to fall back on.

im here to fight, not camp noobs.

matt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #21
HerbertWalker

Loremaster
HerbertWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 396
Default

I post negative snide comments about the game and the devs all the time.   I'm not buying the OP's account of why his thread got locked.

HerbertWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #22
Bloodfa
Server: Nagafen

General
Bloodfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,873
Default

Everybody who plays this game for PvP knows it's got flaws.  And a steep learning curve.  But the curve can be mitigated, unlike playing an FPS.  I'm not talking about the kind of tools that go and buy a wall-hack/aimbot combo and suddenly go from no0b to lethal overnight (those guys never do learn aerial combat or armor techniques).  I mean the guys that you can spend 5 minutes stalking just to have them sneak up and stab you (or whack you over the head with a shovel).  EQ2 has a way around it.  Ways, actually.  I've given up on preaching against the current levels with PvP, the way it's suddenly jammed down the throat of a newbie.  But the guides that we've come up with work.  We know they work from people saying they work, from doing it themselves.  We've got volunteers willing to take new players under their wings.  If somebody gets disheartened and doesn't ask "Does it ever get better?  How do you get past this?" either in the game or here, they're selling themselves short.  Friends said they'd never try it, if they wanted PvP, that's what Battlefield was for.  They've been trying to bring their guildies over.  This guy screwed up and didn't do well.  A little "Hey, what am I doing wrong?" would have gone a long way.  His loss, I'm sorry to say.
__________________


Bloodfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #23
matt2004

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 194
Default

[email protected] wrote:
Everybody who plays this game for PvP knows it's got flaws.  And a steep learning curve.  But the curve can be mitigated, unlike playing an FPS.  I'm not talking about the kind of tools that go and buy a wall-hack/aimbot combo and suddenly go from no0b to lethal overnight (those guys never do learn aerial combat or armor techniques).  I mean the guys that you can spend 5 minutes stalking just to have them sneak up and stab you (or whack you over the head with a shovel).  EQ2 has a way around it.  Ways, actually.  I've given up on preaching against the current levels with PvP, the way it's suddenly jammed down the throat of a newbie.  But the guides that we've come up with work.  We know they work from people saying they work, from doing it themselves.  We've got volunteers willing to take new players under their wings.  If somebody gets disheartened and doesn't ask "Does it ever get better?  How do you get past this?" either in the game or here, they're selling themselves short.  Friends said they'd never try it, if they wanted PvP, that's what Battlefield was for.  They've been trying to bring their guildies over.  This guy screwed up and didn't do well.  A little "Hey, what am I doing wrong?" would have gone a long way.  His loss, I'm sorry to say.

read the post >,<

he did exactly what they say lol. and why arnt the hacks taken care of yet btw? Seen 2 hacks yesterday. And there is no mistaking hacks in this game. if i had to start completely over knowing what i know now....id walk too. Just not worth it.

matt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #24
DCarnage2

Loremaster
DCarnage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 112
Default

Hmm, most of it seems to be right on. 

 I personally don't mind getting rolled by 1 or even 24 twinks, I only get [Removed for Content] at the people using speed hacks and other cheats to avoid a level 22 Warlock (<-- me =P) that's 3 levels lower than them.

I remember when I turned lvl 10, it was quite amusing lol  A bruiser buddy of mine, level 9 and I warlock level 9 were killing in the Graveyard.  We just happened to see a named and killed it, to my astonishment it dropped an exquisite box and I leveled at the same time.  Before the spiral of leveling light left my body, I was dead lol [Removed for Content] rangers =P  My friend and I were on ventrilo, he laughed his [Removed for Content] off for hours.

__________________
Toxxik

80 Defiler

Kithicor
DCarnage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #25
Tae
Server: Venekor
Guild: Someone Gonna Die
Rank: Officer

General
Tae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 735
Default

shaunfletcher wrote:
This is how PvP looks to most people who try it for a while. Thats not something that sounds good to me.
Although I agree wholeheartedly with this and truly believe level locking needs to be removed, Ulvhammer's point still stands. Not only is it full of factual errors, but it's full of incorrect grammar too - he uses "your" instead of "you're" every single time. This has all been said before and by people who can actually write an article.
Tae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #26
matt2004

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 194
Default

yea lol rangers can be crazy. ive never pvp'd in t7 i admit, i have pvp'd against tier 7s tho but still doesnt count. I just cant see how everyone complains about rangers and not a certain other class....but this thread isnt about that and i wont mess it up hehe.
matt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #27
Bloodfa
Server: Nagafen

General
Bloodfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,873
Default

matt2004 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Everybody who plays this game for PvP knows it's got flaws.  And a steep learning curve.  But the curve can be mitigated, unlike playing an FPS.  I'm not talking about the kind of tools that go and buy a wall-hack/aimbot combo and suddenly go from no0b to lethal overnight (those guys never do learn aerial combat or armor techniques).  I mean the guys that you can spend 5 minutes stalking just to have them sneak up and stab you (or whack you over the head with a shovel).  EQ2 has a way around it.  Ways, actually.  I've given up on preaching against the current levels with PvP, the way it's suddenly jammed down the throat of a newbie.  But the guides that we've come up with work.  We know they work from people saying they work, from doing it themselves.  We've got volunteers willing to take new players under their wings.  If somebody gets disheartened and doesn't ask "Does it ever get better?  How do you get past this?" either in the game or here, they're selling themselves short.  Friends said they'd never try it, if they wanted PvP, that's what Battlefield was for.  They've been trying to bring their guildies over.  This guy screwed up and didn't do well.  A little "Hey, what am I doing wrong?" would have gone a long way.  His loss, I'm sorry to say.

read the post >,<

he did exactly what they say lol. and why arnt the hacks taken care of yet btw? Seen 2 hacks yesterday. And there is no mistaking hacks in this game. if i had to start completely over knowing what i know now....id walk too. Just not worth it.

I did read the post.  I also believe he exaggerated a lot.  And if he read any suggested reading, he sure as hell didn't absorb it.  There are other things besides the guides.  If somebody asks "does it get any better?" and everybody gives a smacktard answer, ask it a different time.  He found the forums, found the guides and suggestions, but I'm willing to bet he couldn't be bothered with a simple "brother, could ya spare a dime?"  Ask and people will help.  Fail and gripe about it without having asked, well, then there really is no one to blame but yourself.  There are lots of player who don't get their rocks off picking on the little guy, and are willing to help.  Another mistake he made was in trying to twink up to T2 from scratch.  Twink yourself to T2, get past it, twink to T3, get past that, twink to T4 and you'll be able to better afford twinking a T2 toon, and have made some friends along the way.  Not to mention the number of players that have willingly offered their crafting skills to a new player for nothing.  He's disgruntled, and entitled his opinion, but it's not a completely accurate assessment of the game.  His mistakes and shortcomings certainly didn't help it.  And yes, seeing warping still going on is pretty damned sad.  Why did I bother to run that dual-core patch, aside from not having the desire to win by being an [Removed for Content]?
__________________


Bloodfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #28
Bozidar

Loremaster
Bozidar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,292
Default

matt2004 wrote:
you should read it. i agree with the post mostly. i still have fun ya but you cant really say hes lieing. thats why i posted it here. original copy is on mmorpg.com.
the problem is that he seems to have entirely too much knowledge about the game to be "i'm a poor noob that just started eq2 for the first time"
Bozidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #29
Magius789

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 580
Default

Face it, the guys got a point.  For new players its no fun when there is such a drastic difference between an ok geared player and a twink.  Lets be honest if we all knew the info we know now and how much time and money we've put into this game with all of its flaws would we start over?  Probably not, if you think the OP is just some cry baby newb then start an alt on a new server without the financial backing of your main.  Also switch sides so you aren't as familiar with the layout of everything and how to blow through all the quests.  Fact is EQ2 is not a very balanced game and experienced players have a huge advantage (yes I think they should have some, but not as much as they do).  Would be nice if a person in quested gear and adept I spells actually had a chance against a twink if the twink wasn't paying full attention.  As it stands now the twink could be AFK for 10 min., come back to his computer and still two shot the "decent" geared player.
Magius789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #30
HerbertWalker

Loremaster
HerbertWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 396
Default

Yes he has a point, but because we are not all the same type of person/video game player, he is not universally correct about what makes a game great.

For me, the fun in joining today would rest in knowing that the efforts I put forth today to gain AA, money, levels, and power will be greatly rewarded in time.   Gaining all that AA/fabled/masters allows me to exert my influence, and as small an influence that it may seem to you, I know for a fact that when I am on nagafen, I am changing the face of norrath by my deeds - good and bad.

In WoW, no one cares what you do.  In EQ2, we have people quitting the game due to my actions.   Now that is power.   This OP went crying all the way back to the other game where no one can have so great an affect on him.

HerbertWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:22 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.