EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Abstract
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Tunare Watch

Loremaster

is it possable to get buffed to 80 with good gear on the regular test server? not the Test_Copy one.

Abstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Pervis

Loremaster

No.

Pervis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Calthine

ZAM EQII

[email protected] wrote:

is it possable to get buffed to 80 with good gear on the regular test server? not the Test_Copy one.

Define "good gear".

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Abstract

Loremaster

better then treasured gear. i have toons there, i think i was to late to get one copied there.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Eveningsong

Tester

Regular Test runs like any normal server; there's no copying, no buffing, just a 50% exp bonus to help people level up a bit faster than normal.  It also is not subject to the occasional character wipes that Test_Copy is.

Eveningsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
DocFlareon

Loremaster

Any plans for Test to do the raid for server-wide unlocking of the frogs?

DocFlareon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
msheaf

Tester

It has been done several times in the past, but for some reason the flag keeps getting reset.

msheaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Eveningsong

Tester

You can create froglok characters if you do the individual quest to unlock it on your account on the Test server (I don't think doing it on a Live server unlocks it for Test as well).

Eveningsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
bks6721

Loremaster

can characters be transferred to the test server from a live server?  with the new token on the marketplace maybe?

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=242215

it was possible at one time, just wondering if we can still move to test.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Kiara

Community Relations

Characters cannot transfer to or from the Test server.  One must start a new character in order to play there.

Test-copy is the only server where you can copy an existing character for testing purposes, and that server gets wiped from time to time.

That link is no longer valid.  It's fairly safe to assume that if it's that old, that it no longer applies SMILEY

Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
tkia

Tester

Eveningsong wrote:

You can create froglok characters if you do the individual quest to unlock it on your account on the Test server (I don't think doing it on a Live server unlocks it for Test as well).

Yes it does.  I can create frogloks on test and I've only done the quest twice with live toons.  Quest completion should be flagging the account, irrespective of the region you opt to play in.

tkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
Gamer1965

Tester

tkia wrote:

Eveningsong wrote:

Yes it does.  I can create frogloks on test and I've only done the quest twice with live toons.  Quest completion should be flagging the account, irrespective of the region you opt to play in.

I also wanna confirm this...    I've only done the quest 1 time on Live and I can create frogloks on TEST...

Gamer1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
bks6721

Loremaster

Kiara wrote:

Characters cannot transfer to or from the Test server.  One must start a new character in order to play there.

Test-copy is the only server where you can copy an existing character for testing purposes, and that server gets wiped from time to time.

That link is no longer valid.  It's fairly safe to assume that if it's that old, that it no longer applies

bummer, I'd play there full time if I could move one of my characters.  Asking us to start over from scratch might explain tests low population.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
Rheassi

Tester

Last month hubby and I started over on test.. I was glad we could not copy or transfer over as I really have enjoyed starting from scratch.. I love the community on test and no longer even play my toons on live.. Allowing someone to transfer or buff on test I think would ruin the close knit community we have.. I hope to never see that happen..

Rheassi

Rheassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:14 PM   #15
bks6721

Loremaster

Rheassi wrote:

Last month hubby and I started over on test.. I was glad we could not copy or transfer over as I really have enjoyed starting from scratch.. I love the community on test and no longer even play my toons on live.. Allowing someone to transfer or buff on test I think would ruin the close knit community we have.. I hope to never see that happen..

Rheassi

One would hope that the PRIMARY focus of the test server is to TEST.      It sounds like the "close knit" community isn't concerned that TESTING is the sole purpose for that server.   Little happy family soloing guilds exist on all servers, not just on test.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:28 PM   #16
hellfire

Loremaster

Rheassi wrote:

Allowing someone to transfer or buff on test I think would ruin the close knit community we have.. I hope to never see that happen..

Rheassi

How would this impact.......testing content?

Summoner pets are 1/3 the dps of a summoner and yet our stats and modifiers do not affect them.Since a pet is 1/3 a summoners dps,a summoner receives 2/3 benefit from gear when compared to any other class.

SHARED STATS AND MODIFIERS ARE A MUST!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 08!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 09!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 10!

2011 and Finally we are Fixed!

/Rides off into the sunset
hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #17
Rheassi

Tester

Everyone here is focused on testing.. We enjoy testing the content and finding all there is to find.. The close knit community is good because everyone has their own way to look at things and the exchange of information helps with testing.. Finding bugs and figureing out how things can be broken is a team effort..

You are also more aware of how you interact with the people around you which means there is a lot more respect shown and very little drama.. All of that adds to a very healthly testing enviroment.

Rheassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:24 AM   #18
Calthine

ZAM EQII

Rheassi wrote:

The close knit community is good because everyone has their own way to look at things and the exchange of information helps with testing.. Finding bugs and figureing out how things can be broken is a team effort..

You ain't seen cooperation until you've seen the Test community start ripping into an update.  It's a thing of beauty!

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:13 AM   #19
Finora

Tester

Calthine wrote:

Rheassi wrote:

The close knit community is good because everyone has their own way to look at things and the exchange of information helps with testing.. Finding bugs and figureing out how things can be broken is a team effort..

You ain't seen cooperation until you've seen the Test community start ripping into an update.  It's a thing of beauty!

Indeed it is!

As for those who wonder why it's not like 'other' games that just let you copy over and test what you want when you want, Test server is supposed to be a miniature Live server, not just a bunch of folks copied over to test one raid and leaving after that's done. There are people that play most styles (yes there are even some raid, though not the highest end, on test) and content gets tested on a daily basis in the ways that people on a regular server would play on a daily basis.

Test copy is there for those that want to do the copy over or buff up to test specific things that could affect their characters. That's also where a lot of the testing of raid content goes on I believe (never happens at a time I'm available). And of course when there are PVP changes or gamewide changes that could affect PVP Testcopy becomes PVP activated.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #20
Abstract

Loremaster

im sure they let ppl copy over to there, back when the game started. i remember people talking about it. just after EQ2 launched. .  thats the only reason why i mentioned it. as for the community on Test, IDK. only interacted with a few diff ppl.

i havent got much to say about them. I do feel like they hate people that play on live servers tho lol.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #21
Aurel

Book Goddess

They only hate the rotten livers.  The nice, clean livers seem to be welcome in test.test channel!  At least from what I've seen.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:40 AM   #22
bks6721

Loremaster

Rheassi wrote:

Everyone here is focused on testing.. We enjoy testing the content and finding all there is to find.. The close knit community is good because everyone has their own way to look at things and the exchange of information helps with testing.. Finding bugs and figureing out how things can be broken is a team effort..

You are also more aware of how you interact with the people around you which means there is a lot more respect shown and very little drama.. All of that adds to a very healthly testing enviroment.

I disagree.  I recently JOINED one of the biggest guilds on test only to learn that most of them had never been in a TSO dungeon and that most of them haven't done their epic weapon quests.  Half a dozen level 80's where online in my new guild and only one of them seemed even slightly interested in doing their fabled epic quest.  There was NO interest in TESTING that content.  Everyone was TESTING the Hollow Hedge and the crafting stations.

From what I have seen during my first week on test is that EVERYONE is soloing or crafting.   I sat by the daily double guy in Moors for 9 hours.  Didn't see a single person.

All I'm saying, is if we could copy OUR characters over to test maybe the content that is not being tested, could be.  I fail to see why anyone interested in the health of the overall game would object to that.   We wouldn't come over to dominate your broker, nothing sells there.  Starting from scratch there blows.  Nothing sells on the broker so you can't level at a decent pace to TEST the content, the purpose of the server.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:44 AM   #23
bks6721

Loremaster

Calthine wrote:

Rheassi wrote:

if you mean level 80's still running around with last years Frostfell armor, I'd agree.   Does anyone on test even have shard gear? 

The people I have met and talked to have admitted to me that they play on TEST for the low population and easier soloing.  This is a level 80 guild btw.  No epics, no dungeon running, no TESTING.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:54 AM   #24
bks6721

Loremaster

edited..  I sound terribly negative about this I know.  Not trying to.

Sorry, I recently joined a guild on test only to learn that many, if not most of the 80's had ever run a dungeon or ever plan to run anything other than low level HQ's.

While watching a movie a couple days ago I parked myself near the shard quest giver by the Commonlands zones.  The ONLY people I saw where mentored to 50.   Seriously if NOBODY is running these zones just HOW is it being tested?

How can anyone explain the majority of the level 80's in a level 80 guild never bothering to start their epic weapon quest?    I can only say the people I have been in contact with during my time on test is that they are NOT testers.  They just like a low population.   So, who IS testing?

There are things that should get tested other than soloing, crafting and harvesting.   I'm sure level 30 hq's have been tested enough by now.  Has ANYONE on test completed any of the TSO hq's?

Old 11-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #25
Enica
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Casual Alliance

Loremaster

Do the epic quests need testing?

Enica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #26
GlitterPaws

Loremaster

Test copy is really the place for higher geared people to play and raid. If they wipe it, eh, so what, copy your character over again like every one else does.  Test copy has very few below 80 players testing as copying over high toons is simple and, of course, the buffer is there.

Test copy recently had a short run for PVP and that sounded like an experience and a half...sounds like right up your alley.

Edited to remove possible bashing comments-gp

Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #27
Strums

Loremaster

Im not normaly one to post, but I can see both sides to this.

In a perfect world, I would think the test server would be a decently populated server with the main focus hitting the latest content.  If this has not been happening, then we have several issues here.

First, the population of the test server, and second SOE for not making the test server an attractive enough place to create said population.  A simple solution would be to allow the transfer of toons to the test server, and drop some kind of bonus on them...but it would have to be something big enough to promote players to transfer.

On the flip side, the good ol'folks on test have been playing on that server for some time, and this has been their home.  To just drop a bomb on them like this could be game breaking to some.  When looking at it that way though, how much more damage is being done to the overall game with content not truly being tested. 

I dont play on test, and frankly have no desire to.  But the point the OP has brought up did make me stop and think.  Is it worth saving one small community or crafters and solo's over the wellbeing of a whole MMO.

Oh, and about the epic quest, and them needing tested...  You are probably right, they dont need tested now.  However, I know several classes, including the most recent "Dirge" has had their myth weapon changed.  Players look at this kinda thing like they were just hit by the "Nerf Bat" and it can be game breaking to some.  Had this stuff been tested properly in the first place, we wouldnt have disgruntal players over "Nerf's" that could have been avoided.

Just my 2cp though

Old 11-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #28
GlitterPaws

Loremaster

Y'all are aware that this is not the offical QA testing environment, right? This is a server that RL players are on.

The OP does have valid points regarding testing. The OP also has some lightly veiled insults to the community.

The test server is more of a basic progression server. The economy is flat, forcing players to earn their gear.

Test Copy is there for the high end, fully geared out players to copy to and raid to their hearts content. Entire guilds can be copied over.

In the case of a total [Removed for Content] the server can be wiped and ghosted. Players and guilds can be copied over again. The test server does not have that luxury.

Test Copy is also a community. One that gets shell-shocked when an update is imminent and suddenly many players want to see how THEIR levels and THEIR classes are being treated. There is a flood of charcters copied over to the server during that time. This is a good thing.

Test is there to find out how those changes are effecting the rest of the game. The game that the 1-80 in 4 days or less group doesn't see. This is also a good thing.

If the OP wants a lead QA position I'd recommend applying through the offical channels. Heck, I'd even apply to that game the former baseball player is developing. I haven't seen squat regarding QA on that team and, yes, I do check periodically ))

I get a kick out of this time of year....class projects are getting close to due, well-written mechanics suggestions, graphic suggestions, all around design suggestions are spammed to the major games and a lot of good information is shared. Projects are fleshed out. Who knows? A new game could come out of all the to-ing and fro-ing forum conversations. I suspect many changes come to many games out of the various forums.  But, I digress.

Leave the servers as they are. They provide many varied game play situations.

/off soap box

Old 11-06-2009, 05:18 AM   #29
Enna

Loremaster

I play on both Test server (regular) and on Live servers. I have been "resident" on both for nearly two years.

When high-level content, including raid content, needs testing - it's usually tested on Test_Copy, with cloned or buffed characters. That content is *not* being neglected, as appears to be the primary concern of some prior posts.

======================

New things coming into Norrath are not only high-level, though. Many changes impact all levels, or include low and middle levels along with the higher levels.

"Growing" test-server characters through normal means helps get all levels of things tested. It also gets some of the less-popular zones re-checked for bugs, as characters continually progress through them.

Live events need testing at all levels. One reason is to make sure that a "scale to level" event or instance is not inappropriately more difficult in one level range than in another.

It's also important to know that non-raiders can participate effectively in the live events, and not just raid-geared characters.

======================

By the way, in case you didn't know... people playing on Test server are ** not ** employed by SOE. SMILEY

We don't get any wages, or bonus items, or subscription discounts, or any other compensation for playing on Test.

We pay for our subscriptions just the same as everyone else, whether we play on standard Live servers or on the regular Test server, or both.

It is not our "job" to test things 24/7... it is an option and an opportunity, that we pursue frequently. It is not an obligation we must pursue without pause.

So we are not failing you -- or anyone else -- if we sometimes choose to relax and play the game, without testing something, even though we are doing that relaxing and playing on the Test server.

======================

If you're worried about high-level things being tested, encourage some of your high-level friends to /testcopy add

Then go test the high-level stuff to your hearts' content. SMILEY

Old 11-06-2009, 05:51 AM   #30
bks6721

Loremaster

Enna wrote:

I play on both Test server (regular) and on Live servers. I have been "resident" on both for nearly two years.

When high-level content, including raid content, needs testing - it's usually tested on Test_Copy, with cloned or buffed characters. That content is *not* being neglected, as appears to be the primary concern of some prior posts.

======================

New things coming into Norrath are not only high-level, though. Many changes impact all levels, or include low and middle levels along with the higher levels.

"Growing" test-server characters through normal means helps get all levels of things tested. It also gets some of the less-popular zones re-checked for bugs, as characters continually progress through them.

Live events need testing at all levels. One reason is to make sure that a "scale to level" event or instance is not inappropriately more difficult in one level range than in another.

It's also important to know that non-raiders can participate effectively in the live events, and not just raid-geared characters.

======================

By the way, in case you didn't know... people playing on Test server are ** not ** employed by SOE.

We don't get any wages, or bonus items, or subscription discounts, or any other compensation for playing on Test.

We pay for our subscriptions just the same as everyone else, whether we play on standard Live servers or on the regular Test server, or both.

It is not our "job" to test things 24/7... it is an option and an opportunity, that we pursue frequently. It is not an obligation we must pursue without pause.

So we are not failing you -- or anyone else -- if we sometimes choose to relax and play the game, without testing something, even though we are doing that relaxing and playing on the Test server.

======================

If you're worried about high-level things being tested, encourage some of your high-level friends to /testcopy add

Then go test the high-level stuff to your hearts' content.

You've stated the current conditions perfectly.  However, is there something inherently wrong with MOVING characters to test server to test this content?  Why is it that this cannot be done?

If I want to move to test and run shard zones I don't understand why the people currently soloing on test would object.   I find it amazing to have guild officers tell me how they have only been to VOES once and never been in a shard zone.   Why do people on test always point to test_copy?  I have no desire to have a temporary character.  I'd like to MOVE to test, make a home there without comepletely starting my characters (that have years of time invested) over from scratch.  

One would think a myth'd templar would be welcome to a community.   I get the feeling that the only way I am welcome there is if I reroll and earn my gear all over again.  What does that have to do with testing?