EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Kiara-

Loremaster
Kiara-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Neriak, baby!
Posts: 595
Default

At the recent Community Summit with SOE, I got to steal a couple of minutes to pester everyone's favourite Lore God, Tony "Vhalen" Garcia. Not only was he super nice, he was also, like, a real person and not some dusty old gnome covered in ink and toting books around and stuff. He answered some questions for us, which of course only inspired yet more questions! Hopefully he'll be willing to sit down with us again sometime. Until then, thank you Vhalen!
__________________
Kiara- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Kiara-

Loremaster
Kiara-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Neriak, baby!
Posts: 595
Default

Extra special bonus question added, cause Vhalen is the man!!
__________________
Kiara- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
Harvash

Loremaster
Harvash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 247
Default

Excellent interview on a very interesting subject, I can only say one thing:

More Nek Castle!

This is by far one of my very favorite zones...along with Stormhold.  Any chance of getting another high level SH instance in Nek fashion.  Maybe having to kill each, static spawn, Scion to progress to more areas to unfold the fact that the long dead residents have once again come under attack from within - maybe from newely discovered races of RoK?

Good work,

G

Harvash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Spyderbite
Server: Venekor
Guild: Dark Vengeance
Rank: Member

Loremaster
Spyderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,262
Default

Great interview, Kiara. SMILEY
Spyderbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
Cusashorn

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cheeseland, USA
Posts: 14,919
Default

Once again I'd like to thank Vhalen for choosing me to start that first Forum Quest involving Nektulos Castle. He gave me a hint over a private tell back in 2006. After I figured out the quest and recieved my Idol of Everling, he asked me to give a hint to the lore board. I wrote up a piece of fanfiction that detailed just enough hints to get the ball rolling, but nobody picked up on it at first.

Vhalen commented that my little piece of fanfiction was surprisingly similar to what he had originally envisioned. :p

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Domino

Loremaster
Domino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,046
Default

When I started planning out the storyline for the tradeskill epic quest series I had a number of discussions with Vhalen about what crafting-related lore was out there and how to fit in some cool zones into the quest line that lower adventure-level crafters might not have seen.  Of course, Nektropos Castle is one of the coolest and most interesting zones in Norrath, IMO.  Vhalen suggested the use of the cauldron Orin in the quest (craftsman version), who's an existing character from the original version of the castle, and he was kind enough to give me a copy of his Nektropos Castle lore lores and original design documents for reference -- pages of them!  It was a fascinating read!  SMILEY
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
Shemyaza

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 140
Default

Vhalen: We decided to split the EQ timeline so that we could create a parallel universe that is not affected by the events in any ongoing EQ projects. It actually fell in nicely with events that took place in the Planes of Power. This allowed us to create untold history and map out the future of EQII.

does this mean that druzzils shenanigans at the end of PoP weren't specifically aimed at giving eq2 a starting off point? talk about serendipity if it wasn't.

someone should make vhalen write a book on the history of norrath. one of those oversized and overpriced coffee table books sounds about right. i wouldn't even mind being ripped-off if it gave a detailed history on both norrath and the creation of the lore behind the world. SMILEY

Shemyaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
Marillion

Loremaster
Marillion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 189
Default

DominoDev wrote:
When I started planning out the storyline for the tradeskill epic quest series I had a number of discussions with Vhalen about what crafting-related lore was out there and how to fit in some cool zones into the quest line that lower adventure-level crafters might not have seen.  Of course, Nektropos Castle is one of the coolest and most interesting zones in Norrath, IMO.  Vhalen suggested the use of the cauldron Orin in the quest (craftsman version), who's an existing character from the original version of the castle, and he was kind enough to give me a copy of his Nektropos Castle lore lores and original design documents for reference -- pages of them!  It was a fascinating read!  SMILEY<img src=" />
All yellow and coffee stained? with 3 inch glass plate covers? SMILEY
__________________
......, oh i'm just a regular dirge ..... nothing to see here.
Marillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:12 AM   #9
AllaK_Bludwyng

Sr. Wiki Admin
AllaK_Bludwyng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 59
Default

Cusashorn wrote:

Once again I'd like to thank Vhalen for choosing me to start that first Forum Quest involving Nektulos Castle. He gave me a hint over a private tell back in 2006. After I figured out the quest and recieved my Idol of Everling, he asked me to give a hint to the lore board. I wrote up a piece of fanfiction that detailed just enough hints to get the ball rolling, but nobody picked up on it at first.

Vhalen commented that my little piece of fanfiction was surprisingly similar to what he had originally envisioned. :p

The link did not work for me. Drew a blank page.Anyway, I just wanted confirmation that the Forum Lore Quest Vhalen referred to in the interview is "A Portrait of Destiny"?
__________________
Bludwyng, ZAM Network Sr. Wikibase Admin at Allakhazam's Magical Realm



"Fear my evil cuteness!"
AllaK_Bludwyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
Cusashorn

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cheeseland, USA
Posts: 14,919
Default

AllaK_Bludwyng wrote:
Cusashorn wrote:

Once again I'd like to thank Vhalen for choosing me to start that first Forum Quest involving Nektulos Castle. He gave me a hint over a private tell back in 2006. After I figured out the quest and recieved my Idol of Everling, he asked me to give a hint to the lore board. I wrote up a piece of fanfiction that detailed just enough hints to get the ball rolling, but nobody picked up on it at first.

Vhalen commented that my little piece of fanfiction was surprisingly similar to what he had originally envisioned. :p

The link did not work for me. Drew a blank page.Anyway, I just wanted confirmation that the Forum Lore Quest Vhalen referred to in the interview is "A Portrait of Destiny"?
Link works fine for me, and yes, it is called that.
Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:12 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.