EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
evhallion

Loremaster
evhallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 330
Default

I don't know about the rest of you and maybe it's different for others but I have yet to see a card drop in "normal" play. Now by normal I mean running and clearing instances and mob killing involved in completing quest. So far the only playstyle I have seen that comes in normal contact with card drops is the "farming" playstyle of killing tons of mobs for hours on end. Is this the playstyle these drops are ment to cater to? So far in my own playstyle it seems i'd have a better chance of a non-named master drop than a card drop. So with that type of drop rate how is the non-paying LoN player to compete with the paying LoN player?

 Anyhow what is everyone elses views and experences with card drops as they are now? Should they be increased or stay the same? Please constructive crit only. I'd like the Devs to get a view from the player perspective on how we see the drop rate in our normal play. Please do not flame LoN, or the idea of it, or how you think it ties to RMT there are other threads better suited for that.

__________________
evhallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Spyderbite
Server: Venekor
Guild: Dark Vengeance
Rank: Member

Loremaster
Spyderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,262
Default

I haven't gotten one yet myself. And, I've been killing mobs like its genocide in my mad rush to ding 42. Did so by the way.. *strikes a pose in his new fashionable ebon chain armor*.But, from what I've read so far they only seem to be dropping from green mobs and I've been hitting yellow and orange mobs for the exp gains. /shrugsGuess its time to go clear out all those half finished green quests in my journal before they go grey on me.
Spyderbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
infa

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 67
Default

doesn't seem too far out of line to me thus far...i guess it depends on what you consider "rare". if you were coming across them in a normal session like you suggest, then i'd probably term them more "uncommon".if they're supposed to be rare, i think they're ok thus far. time will tell though, it hasn't been very long since they started dropping
infa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
DragonMaster2385

Loremaster
DragonMaster2385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,063
Default

They drop from green mobs AND UP.  The reason they drop more from farming is because you are killing mobs at a faster rate.
DragonMaster2385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
evhallion

Loremaster
evhallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 330
Default

infa wrote:
doesn't seem too far out of line to me thus far...i guess it depends on what you consider "rare". if you were coming across them in a normal session like you suggest, then i'd probably term them more "uncommon".if they're supposed to be rare, i think they're ok thus far. time will tell though, it hasn't been very long since they started dropping

This is true, but i'm also looking at it from a LoN player point of view. Is "Rare" acceptable when you are competing with paying players? How much of your time is worth $2.99 USD? For example, I myself am a paying LoN player. My deck consist of roughly 1000 cards including all legend cards and many rare cards. I can tell you now that someone with a starter deck and just a few boosters stands no (well very slim) chance against me in play. Now I consider myself only an average LoN player and an "Exceptional" player may be able to beat me with a lesser deck by superior strat but so far I haven't found that player. Most tell me "Wow, that's some deck you have, maybe when I get more cards we can play again and it will go different."  So unless he starts paying he has a long road ahead of him to catch up to me. He could probally get a destroyer title in all the slayer rankings before catching up.

I'm sure many of you when you were told there would be drops in the game and you didn't have to pay to get into the game had visions of being able to be on equal footing with those that did. So do you find "Rare" acceptable or was "uncommon" more what you had in mind?"

__________________
evhallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
Kizee

Loremaster
Kizee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,093
Default

I have leveled 2x already and not seen a pack. They seem way too rare.I for 1 don't want to spend real money for them and was counting on getting a few packs to start playing.
Kizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
Sedenten

Loremaster
Sedenten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 680
Default

Everyone should've gotten a free starter set and even a free booster pack when LoN went live.  That means you can start playing without having gotten any booster packs from drops or your own expense.  I don't plan on buying any cards, but I also play and enjoy LoN.  I also am fine with the drop rate as it is--they don't need to be common enough that the game gets worn out after a month of being out.  The rarity adds some mystique to those rare cards out there, and makes people who do want to pay for the boosters feel like they spent their money well.  I think Sony made a good move with the entire design--the card game itself and the drop rate on the boosters as they are.
Sedenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Jukol

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 33
Default

I've seen one pack drop so far, while soloing a quest. It dropped in a small chest, off a briarstone mob in Darklight Wood. Yellow to the character I was playing at the time.I haven't actually done much killing over the last few days, I haven't run any dungeons or even tried to grind out levels, I just got lucky. They are very rare, but they ARE dropping in 'normal' play.I do agree though, that the drop rate could be at least a little higher. By the sound of it, getting even one drop qualifies me as very lucky at present.
Jukol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
Spider

Loremaster
Spider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,112
Default

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:
infa wrote:
doesn't seem too far out of line to me thus far...i guess it depends on what you consider "rare". if you were coming across them in a normal session like you suggest, then i'd probably term them more "uncommon".if they're supposed to be rare, i think they're ok thus far. time will tell though, it hasn't been very long since they started dropping

This is true, but i'm also looking at it from a LoN player point of view. Is "Rare" acceptable when you are competing with paying players? How much of your time is worth $2.99 USD? For example, I myself am a paying LoN player. My deck consist of roughly 1000 cards including all legend cards and many rare cards. I can tell you now that someone with a starter deck and just a few boosters stands no (well very slim) chance against me in play. Now I consider myself only an average LoN player and an "Exceptional" player may be able to beat me with a lesser deck by superior strat but so far I haven't found that player. Most tell me "Wow, that's some deck you have, maybe when I get more cards we can play again and it will go different."  So unless he starts paying he has a long road ahead of him to catch up to me. He could probally get a destroyer title in all the slayer rankings before catching up.

I'm sure many of you when you were told there would be drops in the game and you didn't have to pay to get into the game had visions of being able to be on equal footing with those that did. So do you find "Rare" acceptable or was "uncommon" more what you had in mind?"

im sorry but the fact that you have a 1000 card deck insures that any nub with a starter deck will clean your clock

in any card game optimal deck size is around 40-60 cards any more than that insures u will never draw the cards you need whne u need them

im HOPING however  that you ment to say your collectiion is over 1000 cards and not your deck SMILEY

Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #10
Computer MAn

Loremaster
Computer MAn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 258
Default

Drop rates seem perfect to me, almost like masters used to be.
Computer MAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #11
Andok

Loremaster
Andok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,039
Default

I think if I had gotten a booster pack to drop already, I would think that they were too common.  If I go a couple months without seeing one, then I may change my mind, but right now I like how rare they are.
Andok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:15 AM   #12
Emo
Server: Oasis
Guild: Bloodlust
Rank: Private

General
Emo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 26
Default

/Flame onThey are totally too rarePeople sell them for way over price farmers sell plat around 1$ = 1 plat come on people get a life anything more than 10 plat a pack and 3 plat a booster i laugh for hours hehe/Flame off
Emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:34 AM   #13
Meinen

Loremaster
Meinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 342
Default

On mistmoore, the only people selling booster packs are farmers...it may change soon, who knows...i have gone out and tried to farm for them, but i don't have someone with a whip standing over me and my family held hostage if i don't gets the plat.   i am not as motivated to sit there and blow [Removed for Content] up for hrs and hrs. 

I think its to rare, but it doesn't really matter.  Sooner or later i will get one (hopefully).

Meinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:03 AM   #14
Emo
Server: Oasis
Guild: Bloodlust
Rank: Private

General
Emo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 26
Default

[email protected] wrote:

On mistmoore, the only people selling booster packs are farmers...it may change soon, who knows...i have gone out and tried to farm for them, but i don't have someone with a whip standing over me and my family held hostage if i don't gets the plat.   i am not as motivated to sit there and blow [I cannot control my vocabulary] up for hrs and hrs. 

I think its to rare, but it doesn't really matter.  Sooner or later i will get one (hopefully).

This is what im talking about ^^^ this person here deserves a purple heart lol "I think its to rare, but it doesn't really matter.  Sooner or later i will get one (hopefully)." My words exactly
Emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:04 AM   #15
matt2004

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 194
Default

Im not trying to be negative....seriously....but...

Are you that naive to think they wouldnt be this hard to get? The harder they are to get the more $$ you give to SoE. This is a large corporation and eventhough you may not agree with many things they do, they are here for one reason only and that is to make as much money as they can.

 As long as i dont see this LoN stuff giving players a super edge in combat i will keep my mouth shut. In my honest opinion its a last ditch effort to make a few extra bucks before the rest of the population is drained to upcoming MMOs that will be released in the next year.

/equip naive hat

no no. they added this for pure fun and plan on everyone having a chance no matter if they have RL cash to spend or not.

matt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:29 AM   #16
Belaythien

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 576
Default

The only ones selling them on my server (3-4 on the broker) are farmers, too. From my point of view they are too rare. SOE only offers very limited payment options in its LoN store, so I can't buy anything. Getting in game packs is the only way for me to get them. However, as they are so rare , they are listed at 25-75 plat. Thus no packs for me at all =
Belaythien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #17
liveja

General
liveja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 4,793
Default

I got a booster pack yesterday morning from a trash mob in SS. It's the only LoN drop I've seen since the game went live. I was going to put it on the broker for 10p (the only other one was selling for 23.5p) but then my curiosity got the better of me & I redeemed it. Didn't get anything "special", tho.

I think I'm the only one in my guild that has seen a LoN-related item drop.

__________________
liveja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #18
EvilIguana9

General
EvilIguana9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 477
Default

Maybe a bit too rare.  Hard to tell as I'm not playing very heavily these days.  I won't really be able to comment on the rarity until RoK and the 10 levels of xping it will bring.  I don't need, or expect, to have as many cards at my disposal as a "paying" customer.  I just want to get a few packs over those ten levels. 
EvilIguana9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #19
evhallion

Loremaster
evhallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 330
Default

[email protected]e wrote:

On mistmoore, the only people selling booster packs are farmers...it may change soon, who knows...i have gone out and tried to farm for them, but i don't have someone with a whip standing over me and my family held hostage if i don't gets the plat.   i am not as motivated to sit there and blow [I cannot control my vocabulary] up for hrs and hrs. 

I think its to rare, but it doesn't really matter.  Sooner or later i will get one (hopefully).

This is one of my main points. In LoN "one" pack every few months isn't going to help you much. This would be almost the same as if you depended on master drops from non-named. I have played the game since launchand I can count non-named master drops I have got on my fingers still. If that was the only way a master dropped it wouldn't help my EQ2 play much same as these drops don't help a LoN player much.

Personally I think card drops should be moved to instances where the lock-outs and the nature of instances would prevent farming and camping and their drop rate could be upped. However there could still be some predictability on the drops the same as masters. If wished there can still be the ultra rare chance of card drops off normal mobs in the un-instanced world the same as masters but this shouldn't be the only source for them.

__________________
evhallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #20
Meinen

Loremaster
Meinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 342
Default

if they put them in instances only (and since there is no lvl requirement to get one) you will have farmers just going into places like acadechism and farming there.  No lock out timer if you don't kill a named and you can kill the heroics easy. 

I don't think anyone is naive in thinking that soe isn't out to make money, but i think people did figure they would have a chance at getting a booster pack.  considering how many chest drops (all chests) vs. LoN related drops, they are extremely rare.  sure SoE wants to make money (who doesn't?), but they could increase the rate a notch and still make tons of $$.  

Meinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #21
Cuz

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 825
Default

They should try to make money with booster draft tournaments and things like that, not by being cheap with the boosters...
__________________
------------------------------------------------------------

one immature posted

------------------------------------------------------------
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:07 PM   #22
Trever

Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5
Default

I looted 2 booster packs within a minute of each other off of 2 goblins in lavastorm
Trever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #23
Lornick

Loremaster
Lornick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 1,114
Default

Trever wrote:
I looted 2 booster packs within a minute of each other off of 2 goblins in lavastorm
sounds like now is a good time for you to buy a lottery ticket
__________________
Lornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #24
Lornick

Loremaster
Lornick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 1,114
Default

Oh, and btw guys.  A good way to build up a starter deck is to do the scenerios.  It isn't easy to beat some of them with the starter deck but it's possible and you get unique cards for the effort that if they aren't good for your playstyle, you can at least trade on the posted trades for cards you will use.  I've got many of my best cards that way.
__________________
Lornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #25
Emo
Server: Oasis
Guild: Bloodlust
Rank: Private

General
Emo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 26
Default

matt2004 wrote:

Im not trying to be negative....seriously....but...

Are you that naive to think they wouldnt be this hard to get? The harder they are to get the more $$ you give to SoE. This is a large corporation and eventhough you may not agree with many things they do, they are here for one reason only and that is to make as much money as they can.

 As long as i dont see this LoN stuff giving players a super edge in combat i will keep my mouth shut. In my honest opinion its a last ditch effort to make a few extra bucks before the rest of the population is drained to upcoming MMOs that will be released in the next year.

/equip naive hat

no no. they added this for pure fun and plan on everyone having a chance no matter if they have RL cash to spend or not.

Yup /agree you would think 14.99 a month is enough hehe
Emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #26
Strums

Loremaster
Strums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 214
Default

Look, ill say this much....

Since day one of the release of LON, I have farmed Poets, Ancient Tables & Nest EVERY DAY.  I have also ran all of the island of marra "Monk Pebble" Instances 2 times.  I have recieved 5 master chest, 3 legendary, tons of wood and treasured yet no LON boosters. 

Too me that seems a little too rare.  For me to get 5 master, "wich are supose to be rare" and not get any LON cards is a tad upsetting.  I really like LON, and want more cards...but unfortantly I dont have the funds IRL to buy them.  The thought of them dropping in game had me thrilled at first...but now I think im more upset and feel like ive been somehow cheated by SOE...I dunno, maybe its just me...

__________________
Strums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #27
Vonotar
Server: Butcherblock

Loremaster
Vonotar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,697
Default

Strums wrote:

Look, ill say this much....

Since day one of the release of LON, I have farmed Poets, Ancient Tables & Nest EVERY DAY.  I have also ran all of the island of marra "Monk Pebble" Instances 2 times.  I have recieved 5 master chest, 3 legendary, tons of wood and treasured yet no LON boosters. 

Too me that seems a little too rare.  For me to get 5 master, "wich are supose to be rare" and not get any LON cards is a tad upsetting.  I really like LON, and want more cards...but unfortantly I dont have the funds IRL to buy them.  The thought of them dropping in game had me thrilled at first...but now I think im more upset and feel like ive been somehow cheated by SOE...I dunno, maybe its just me...

It's RANDOM, you might get none for ages then a couple at once.If your farming mobs with the intent of getting LoN packs then you should just pull out your wallet and buy them, drops are really aimed at gradully pulling in a steady stream of casual players who initially had no interest, it's not going to be set up to be your main source of cards./pro-LoN offLoN is RMT, $$$ SoE <>*phew* I feel more normal now.
Vonotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #28
FireDragon

Loremaster
FireDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 235
Default

Of course its random, but from the sounds of it and personal experience, we have more chance of winning the IRL lottery.
FireDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #29
KBern

Loremaster
KBern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,372
Default

SOE wants your money.

It is almost like a crack dealer...the first rock for free, then you come back to buy more!

Drops are not going to be very common.  Maybe once LoN is out for a while, they will change the rate, but right now they want people to want to the items so bad, they will shell out $3 a pop hoping for that elusive mount card.

__________________
KBern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #30
netglen

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 371
Default

[email protected] wrote:
If your farming mobs with the intent of getting LoN packs then you should just pull out your wallet and buy them, drops are really aimed at gradully pulling in a steady stream of casual players who initially had no interest, it's not going to be set up to be your main source of cards.
Not that I was looking for any of that LoN drops, but after soloing this entire week and killing a ton of mobs across several different zones and dungeons, I didn't see any drops. But then again looking to see what was for sale in the Broker, I only saw no more then a dozen starter and boosters. I jus hope that the LoN stuff doesn't have a negative impact on the game.
netglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:39 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.