EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Tradeskill Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Strums

Loremaster

Just something I have been thinking about, and would love to see...but thought I would throw it out their for the community to tear appart

Currently, everyone who crafts is basically all the same.  What defines tradeskiller, or the items they have crafted?  Nothing.

I would love to see a crafting system where tradeskillers could have more control over what they craft.  Why dose every armorer have to make the same piece of gear?  Wouldnt it be nice if you were allowed so many "points" for example, and you could put them into any stats or resist on a particular piece of gear?  The possabilitys would be endless.  Players could make gear that had all the points in one resist, more mitigation with the loss of other stats...I could go on for days about the different options crafters would have at their disposal.

Not only would this make crafters more unique, it would open up a larger market for players.  Selling a full set of gear that is just set for one particular resist could mean big $$ for crafters.  How about a backpack that has less slots, but more weight reduction...with the balance of slots to weight reduction decided by the crafter.  Weapons with a higher damage rateing, with the loss of stats & delay, or vise versa. 

Again, I could go on for days....the options would be endless. 

Thoughts?

Old 08-17-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
StormCinder

Loremaster

Strums wrote:

Just something I have been thinking about, and would love to see...but thought I would throw it out their for the community to tear appart

Currently, everyone who crafts is basically all the same.  What defines tradeskiller, or the items they have crafted?  Nothing.

I would love to see a crafting system where tradeskillers could have more control over what they craft.  Why dose every armorer have to make the same piece of gear?  Wouldnt it be nice if you were allowed so many "points" for example, and you could put them into any stats or resist on a particular piece of gear?  The possabilitys would be endless.  Players could make gear that had all the points in one resist, more mitigation with the loss of other stats...I could go on for days about the different options crafters would have at their disposal.

Not only would this make crafters more unique, it would open up a larger market for players.  Selling a full set of gear that is just set for one particular resist could mean big $$ for crafters.  How about a backpack that has less slots, but more weight reduction...with the balance of slots to weight reduction decided by the crafter.  Weapons with a higher damage rateing, with the loss of stats & delay, or vise versa. 

Again, I could go on for days....the options would be endless

Thoughts?

So would the database.

cur·mudg·eon (kr-mjn)

n.

An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions.
StormCinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
dartie

Lord

This has come up before, and one of the arguments that is usually made against it is that Domino is under pressure to REDUCE (not INCREASE) the number of items tying up database space.

Part of the justification for eliminating crude and shaped items, in fact, is to free up database space.  One way to make sure that Domino can give us *more* recipes is for her to reduce the number of variations on the same recipe. 

However, I think a lot of crafters would love to see precisely the kind of individual itemization you propose, and I suspect there are ways to make it happen if the devs want to make it happen.

One possible solution would be to allow crafters to create no-trade versions of adornments as byproducts of their crafts. 

Let's say that my crafter wants to be known for adding elemental resists to his items, whereas yours wants to be known for adding intelligence bonuses.

If Domino goes to the rest of the devs with the proposal that we add an elemental resistance version of every piece of gear to the game for me and an intelligence bonus version of every piece of gear in the game for you, then they are going to ignore her.

But something that *might* work would be for you to have a small chance each time you craft a piece of gear to create a temporary, no-trade adornment at the moment the item is created.  You could then apply the adornment to the item (a process that I presume the database could handle, since it can already handle adornments just fine) or to another item.  But you would have to apply the adornment very quickly, as the adornment could expire with a timer or upon exiting the zone, etc.

Pleas for achievement trees for crafters appear to be going nowhere, but *if* Domino develops a knack for including crafting quests, then it would be quite cool to see those quests award us with AA so that crafters could go down various stat bonus trees, various resist trees, etc.  If you put 1 point in the intelligence tree, you have a 1.25% chance of crafting a temporary, no-trade INT adorn appropriate to the tier of whatever item you are crafting.  If you dump 8 points into that tree, then you have a 10% chance of creating that adornment. 

Crafters would choose their trees and then use the temporary, no-trade adornments to distinguish their wares from each other. 

Man, that sounds like fun to me, but I think it probably sounds like a huge set of headaches for the devs. 

Anyway, sure, I would love to see something practical come of your suggestion. 

dartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Raveller

Loremaster

Strums wrote:

Again, I could go on for days....the options would be endless. 

Thoughts?

This has been suggested many, many times. This would basically mean a complete revision of the EQ2 player crafting subgame.
Raveller is offline   Reply With Quote