EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Priest's Sanctum > Mystic
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-24-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
BonesMandu

Loremaster

I have 3 questions regarding some Mystic spells.  So far now at level 26 I’ve noticed that I can cast two spells of the same type on one enemy. For example, I can cast Wailing Haze Adept3 on lets say Ire Minion(1) and then cast Keening Haze Adept1 on the same Ire Minion(1). Both icons show up on my window as cast BUT, my first question is this.

1. When casting two spells of the same type of affect do both spells have an accumulated affect on the enemy or does the more powerful take dominance or is it the first one cast is the first to hold?

2. Is there a limit to the number of spell affects that an enemy can have cast upon it simultaneously?

3. Lastly, it seems that when I cast my Delusion Adept1 Spell the enemies HP goes up, at least for a brief moment as they get the snot kick out of them. Now this is not even noticeable in a full group pounding relentlessly on an enemy in CoB but in a small group 2 or 3 in TS fighting Drowned Skeletons I can see the enemy HP jump up when after I cast. Is this spell working as expected? Because I just don’t know.

Please help if you can, in the spirit of the questions, not in flames or the mystic is gimped because that’s not really the intended direction of this.

Thank you for reading and helping…

Bonesmandu

BonesMandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
Banditman

Loremaster

BonesMandu wrote:

I have 3 questions regarding some Mystic spells.  So far now at level 26 I’ve noticed that I can cast two spells of the same type on one enemy. For example, I can cast Wailing Haze Adept3 on lets say Ire Minion(1) and then cast Keening Haze Adept1 on the same Ire Minion(1). Both icons show up on my window as cast BUT, my first question is this.

1. When casting two spells of the same type of affect do both spells have an accumulated affect on the enemy or does the more powerful take dominance or is it the first one cast is the first to hold?

If you cast two related spells on an enemy one of two things happens.  In some cases, you will get the message "Spell would not take effect" and you won't be able to cast.  This would happen if a higher level Mystic cast Haze on something then you tried to cast the same Haze.  In other cases, spells "appear" to stack.  In these cases (WH vs KH for instance) the reason you see two icons is because one spell may have some slightly different effects.  For WH and KH, KH has an ATK debuff component in addition to the Slow component.  Since the effects are not exactly the same, you get two icons.  Only the more powerful debuff will actually affect the mob, there is no additive effect.

2. Is there a limit to the number of spell affects that an enemy can have cast upon it simultaneously?

Probably, but I've never seen any research done on it.  It's likely so high that it would take a raid force to find out.

3. Lastly, it seems that when I cast my Delusion Adept1 Spell the enemies HP goes up, at least for a brief moment as they get the snot kick out of them. Now this is not even noticeable in a full group pounding relentlessly on an enemy in CoB but in a small group 2 or 3 in TS fighting Drowned Skeletons I can see the enemy HP jump up when after I cast. Is this spell working as expected? Because I just don’t know.

It's a source of debate within the community atm.  Read some of the other threads.

Please help if you can, in the spirit of the questions, not in flames or the mystic is gimped because that’s not really the intended direction of this.

Thank you for reading and helping…

Bonesmandu

Old 03-24-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
ChristopherK

1. Greater of the two is assumed. Some tests show this, but till we can dual.. it's just an educated guess.

2. It's like your first question. You can have 20 spells on the mob but the greater will take affect while the others will do nothing. It's like 2 healers with similar buffs, the greater takes affect while the lesser just sits up there. If you cancel it nothing changes.

3. Here you go:

Mob has 100HP (bar graphic full 100%)
You hit mob for 20HP (bar graphic 80%)
You debuff mob for 20% so his total HP is now 80HP. (Bar graphic full 100%)

If you debuff a mobs max HP, the bar appears to go up because it show his HP relative to his 100% max HP. Since you reduced his Max, it will appear he gained HP.
ChristopherK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:54 PM   #4
RicoRanger

Loremaster

ChristopherKee wrote:
1. Greater of the two is assumed. Some tests show this, but till we can dual.. it's just an educated guess.

2. It's like your first question. You can have 20 spells on the mob but the greater will take affect while the others will do nothing. It's like 2 healers with similar buffs, the greater takes affect while the lesser just sits up there. If you cancel it nothing changes.

3. Here you go:

Mob has 100HP (bar graphic full 100%)
You hit mob for 20HP (bar graphic 80%)
You debuff mob for 20% so his total HP is now 80HP. (Bar graphic full 100%)

If you debuff a mobs max HP, the bar appears to go up because it show his HP relative to his 100% max HP. Since you reduced his Max, it will appear he gained HP.

An earlier poster was right.  The STA debuff (e.g. Delusion, Cry of the Ancients, etc.) is being debated.  Based on a couple of threads where people actually posted test results, the following seems to be true but has not been definitively proven:

When you Debuff Stamina, you are lowering the mobs max HP, not its current HP.  The example above is correct in this regard.  You are not actually healing the mob but his current HP now represents a larger percentage of his max HP.  On the surface this does not seem to be very useful but if you cast the STA debuffs before any dmg has been done to the mob, you have reduced both his max hp AND his current hp.  This, in effect, acts as a direct dmg spell.  So the key is to open with this spell.  In groups, have tank pull with taunt, hit the mob with the STA debuff spell (Weaken, Delusion, etc.)

Another nice thing is that when the STA debuff wears off, the mob's max HP goes back up but the hp he lost when you debuffed him are still gone.  So you don't need to worry about refreshing the spell unless you want the secondary effects refreshed (STR debuff for instance).

RicoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote