EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > PVP Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
Valtrexx

Loremaster

Been playing MMO's for the PvP for more or less my entire gaming life.  I have been playing WoW most recently and decided it was time for a change, and whilst searching for a replacement a friend suggested EQ2.  I played EQ1 fairly early on in its lifespan, and the memories of SZ and RZ PvP I made there are some of my most cherished.  I'm hoping someone here can give me a brief breakdown of EQ2 PvP using other games ( historical and current ) as comparison.  A brief overview of the rest of the game would be appreciated as well, though the bluebie aspects of MMO's are usually pretty similiar.

Valtrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
Silverzx

Loremaster

don't wanna create a tldr post.  all i can say is that pvp in its current state leaves much to be desired.

Silverzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
Kimber
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Rapture

Loremaster

Best thing I can say is roll a toon and give it a shot.  Get to lv 39 and lock down get some cash up get all geared out, get your AA's and go from there.  PvP at this lv is failry balanced between class's.  Not sides though T4 PvP is at the moment ( unless things changed in the last couple days ) dominated by FP.  While T9 is Qey dominated.  You will be frustrated at times untill you get your stuff set up but if you stick with it you will find those fights that you really enjoy that are so close that 1% more reuse would have made the differance.

Guild Sickpuppies
Kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Balrok

Loremaster

Just know that EQ2 is a PvE game first and foremost... and tbh, a pretty well done and unique MMO.  Graphically I still think it's one of the top and it's just got a nice look and feel to it.  It's unique from any MMO out there and has the most depth of any. 

As for PvP, it has issues.  No one will argue this point.  It's also a 8 year old game, so population wise it can be iffy at times.  However, I will again say that it's a unique MMO PvP experience.  No other MMO on the market plays like EQ2 in PvP.  I wish SoE would focus on this point more, cause they could market it as a great alternative to WoW and it's bazillion MMO clones.  But that would involve actually marketing.

As a new player, you will get steamrolled many times.  If this enrages you, well then it's not for you and I wish you luck elsewhere.

Enjoy

Olihin

Balrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
Clarrice

Loremaster

Been playing EQ2 for ages and came to PvP on launch day - really, don't bother.  It's horrible at lower levels (you'll get ganked everywhere you go by twinks) and they as you level you wont see another person all day.  And end game is broken beyond repair.

Old Republic can now be pre-ordered.  That is all.

Clarrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Balrok

Loremaster

Clarrice wrote:

Been playing EQ2 for ages and came to PvP on launch day - really, don't bother.  It's horrible at lower levels (you'll get ganked everywhere you go by twinks) and they as you level you wont see another person all day.  And end game is broken beyond repair.

I'd disregard this statement... author has proven in other threads they don't know basic PvP mechanics.  Just remind yourself of the following daily: 

As a new player, you will get steamrolled many times. If this enrages you, well then it's not for you and I wish you luck elsewhere.Once you acknowledge and recognize this, any serious PvPer can enjoy this game at any tier.  I rather like T9 PvP myself, and I'm a mage writ update.  It needs adjusting sure, but it's not beyond repair. 

Olihin

Balrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Ilovecows
Guild: The Catalyst

Loremaster

Clarrice wrote:

Old Republic doesn't really look that great, and from what i remember there isn't even open world pvp.  imo it is just going to be like Rift.  A lot of hype, but when it actually comes around only a few people will actually leave for it for over a month tbh

pvp in eq2 can be fun at times.  No, it isn't as great as it used to be.  But it still can be fun.

I AM ILOVECOWS! REMEMBER THAT BECAUSE I LOVE COWS. YOU SHOULD LOVE THEM TOO. COWS ARE AMAZING AND I DON'T SEE HOW ANYONE COULD POSSIBLY SAY THAT THEY AREN'T AMAZING. JUST LOOK AT THEIR NATURAL BEAUTY AND GRACE. THE AMAZINGNESS OF THESE ANIMALS ASTOUNDS ME EVERY TIME THAT I SEE THEM. DON'T HATE ON ME FOR THIS, BUT IF YOU DO NOT LOVE COWS, YOU ARE NOT A REAL PERSON.
Ilovecows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Xillean
Guild: Legends of Firiona Vie

Loremaster

As others have said, pvp can be fun and no it isnt what it once was.

Still roll a toon and have a good time SMILEY and yes your going to get owned, roflpooned, ganked and a million other different things, but its part of the game tbh. Dont let it get to you, revive, rebuff and head back in. Warfields can be a source of pvp when both sides decide to stick it out and actually fight one another.

Ive been trying to get out and pvp more recently, forgot who made the post but the sum of it was if we want pvp get off our (self censored ftw) and find it. Yeah there are some who blow at pvp, but really who gives a crap, id rather group with someone who has crap pvp gear and is [Removed for Content] then not at all at this point.

Only thing I wish is that the sides be more even and that they would reverse the stupidty that is not letting exiles get fame and let them be a third faction or w/e, I can remember not to long ago so epic 3 sided battles being fought in KP and other places. I thought that forcing exiles to pick a side might help, but sadly I realize now all it did was bloat the q side over the Freeps.

And for anyone who says the freeps should fight our x123333456 and 2, if I were a freep with a stacked group and saw that horde I wouldnt want to give free updates either tbh, sure might be able to kill some of us but the sheer numbers ive seen lately of the q's dwarf the freepers. Ive seen some fight anyway and I must say, my hat is off to you guys and I thank the freeps who even bother to try and pvp.

Xillean 90 Warden, Annajhilam 90 Fury, Sageth 90 Templar, Eylisa 90 Defiler, Galacia 90 Wizard, Mayladen 90 Necromancer, Nameless 90 Coercer, Rauz 90 Berserker, Jacelyn 90 Paladin, Whispers 90 Monk, Trayleigh 90 Dirge, Jillean 44 Ranger
Xillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
GussJr

Loremaster

There are too many different opinions about EQ2 pvp...just roll a toon and try it.

Siame, 90 K. Zerk, 90 Alchemist

Palayna, 34 Fae Monk, 90 Master Carpenter

Beastmastress, 90 WE BL, 31 Prov
GussJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
Clarrice

Loremaster

Don't get me wrong, there's no much better out there than EQ2 at the moment it's just a pale shadow of what it used to be and the population is dire.

Clarrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #11
EQ2Player

Loremaster

Open-world PVP is not very commonplace when questing. Warfields are a joke. Really, I'd just go give Age of Conan a try. It just went Free 2 Play, and they opened up a brand new hardcore-pvp server. So, tons of people there doing a fresh start. I don't like that server myself, but it sure has a lot of pvp... Game world and quests are slick too. The past year or two EQ2 PvP encounters consistently seem to be a letdown and the lack of development attention to PVP is a serious issue and consideration the player should weigh before investing time and energy in starting. Virtually no resources are allocated toward enhancing PVP and BG's with consistency. Just patchwork type development.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
Valonia

Loremaster

If you have friends to equip and pvp kill farm you then you are good to go.

If not, do not even bother with pvp since you'll only fight against twinks that farm you over and over again with no chance of reprisal. I have yet to see one fair fight below level 90 and even those are usually dominated by groups so do not think you'll have any fun solo pvping.

Valonia is offline   Reply With Quote