EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Kunark Ascending Beta > Class Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-27-2016, 11:13 PM   #121
Uncle

yeah therrmal depletion seeing more like a place holder to me uinless it effects the whole raid then it may be worth it.. 3 bil scorched mine not hitting no where near that prbely had a crap load of potency comepared to me. i did dind it interesting these abilites are also affected by spell double attack as well
Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:32 AM   #122
Mrmacky

Also the elementalist ability Bulwark of Rime does not seem to be worth casting atm.
Mrmacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:07 AM   #123
Gemo

What's with the long casting times on these Ascension spells? Mudslide takes 3.56 sec to cast and lasts 2.0 sec? Stone Hammer takes 3.41 sec to cast and 3 sec duration. Maybe you have spoiled us with most of our casting being 1/4 to 1/2 a second, but I am missing the point of raising casting times on these. We, or at least I am used to casting at least a couple things a second, and while seconds might not seem like much, it's life or death to us. I am fine with longer casting times, but make it worth the time to cast please.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:20 AM   #124
Arieva

Elementalist: Level 10 swarm pet seems pretty lackluster for the level 10 ability Has two components, crushing damage which is hardly registering on the parse and its Destruction ability is doing a mere 2% for me. For comparison the Wildfire ability rang in at 3-10% consistently on every other fight. Over the same several fight the level 10 swarm never topped 3%...bout the only thing cool about the ability at this point is the graphic (good job on that)
Arieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #125
Arieva

Etherealist ability Implosion when used on a group of enemies seems to make mobs port around eratically when its applied. While it doesn't bother me...I know the scouts in a raid will quickly come to dislike the ability assuming the movement effects ability to back attack.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:22 PM   #126
Pitta

Yes, this.
[IMG]
I am thinking that stats are not sharing to the swarm pet properly. It is different than most other pets in that it looks like a regular mob. In order to be where it should be, the outgoing damage needs to be 10x of what it is currently hitting for.

ALL ascension abilities also need their cast time reduced by about 1/2. These abilities are incredibly hard to time efficiently, and if you cant time them around other procs and buffs, they arent worth the damage they do.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #127
Materfarmer

Perhaps the longer cast times are to allow the coordination of combination casting. Not that we know or even, if that is the case, are we able to ascertain if the cast period is to long or even to short at this point. Just a guess on my part
Materfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:32 AM   #128
Arieva

I've spent some time in Master's chosen testing both Etherealist and Elementalist and my opinion is Etherealist is right about where it should be. From a dps perspective I can see probably 3-4 spells I might go out of my way to work into my rotation, some situationally on multi mob encounters, when I have no professional big hitters up. I'm assuming casting times remain the same as they are and I suspect the same as Materfarmer as to the reasoning behind it.

Etherealist: Single target spells that are solid are Shadow Assassin (though I wonder if it will get left behind quickly being based on power pool), and cascading force. While the other single target spells damage ability may be appealing to lower damage output classes, as a t1 I don't see myself using them very often but that's ok.
Blue spell Implosion will be situational but super fun on large pulls. The other blue is solid too depending on number of mobs but doesn't have the wow factor of implosion.

Ethermancy is goofy and I suspect really only useful for fights where large amount of mana drain are required to win a fight and the appropriate classes to do that aren't available, or just the mana drain required is just too large. On a fight to fight basis I don't see it being useful. While I haven't tested on new content heroic or solo, the drain on previous tier raid trash/heroics gives a few hundred potency which isn't horrible, but once we have lots more folks running around with this ability it would be a nightmare to coordinate. Lets assume we have a raid level mob and 6 etherealists in the raid. If they want to use this spell the most appropriate time to do so would be right on pull when raid mob x is at full power. 2 Etherealists later the mob is drained and the other 4 just wasted 3 seconds of their casting time to drain little to no mana from the mob. Multi mob encounters you could tab around and pray you get a target that another etherealist doesn't have in their sights..but still probably too much trouble for most folks unless the mana drain is required for a script then its a super useful ability.

Ethereal Conduit, semi useful and I could rationalize using it just as a pull is happening to limit the dps downtime due to horrible cast time. Same deal with siphoned fervor. The value of fervor won't make or break anyone in the group though so I'm less likely to go out of my way on Siphoned Fervor.

Ok now on to Elementalist:
The only thing that wows me here is the Scorched Earth ability really. And that's assuming it can even tick to full duration (30 seconds). That's probably going to be a serious consideration on this one. Raid mobs I'd feel safe on it assuming the same kind of stat inflation that happened last xpac doesn't continue. Heroic the 30 second duration is iffy tho I haven't seen myself the content yet. Solo'ers will find very little of the abilities true potential.

The other dps spells are really anemic compared to Etherealist (And as I look over all the 4 ascension class abilities, all of them tbh). Glacial freeze I would expect to be a little more in line with Cascading force. While the strikethrough debuff is ok, I know few dps classes that will compare the 2 side by side and be excited about the strikethrough debuff compared to Cascading force. The blue AoE is similar in damage output to Etherflash (though Etherflash on the high end tooltip is higher) which is fine..but there is no wow factor like Implosion. As previously mentioned the swarm pet is highly undesirable at the moment.

Other abilities also seem extremely questionable. Bulwark of Rime: When will i ever use this? 15 seconds of less elemental damage every 3+ minutes. Unless there is a specific encounter where I have to have this and I highly doubt it its pretty useless. Thermal Depletion I only tested solo and while I alone was stacking several of the effects on the mob without too much trouble, I still find this ability of questionable usefulness. Would I use it on fights where surviveability is an issue, sure. Would I want to be an Elementalist for the ability? No way.

Brittle armor is the one non dps ability that i think will have smart raiders looking twice at this ascension class. Without Having seen the raid encounters myself, I don't know if the damage incoming on a dps class is enough to make it worthwhile but I'd like to hope it is. All around though as a dps class I'm finding elementalist is a hard pill to swallow compared to etherealist and I think that needs to be addressed so that raid forces and groups don't end up with a staggering number of one ascension class and none of the others. Elementalist needs 1-2 more wow dps abilities to bring it up, preferably one of them being a multimob ability to compare to implosion. And the non dps abilities outside of Brittle armor could use some work.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:09 AM   #129
Mrmacky

Having separate classes like this available to every class you basically need about the same amount of single target and ae nukes. Id say equal share of damage debuffs for the respective damage type. To set each class apart the buff / debuffs should be different. As well as the lvl 10 ability should be different from the rest (not like here lets give 2 of them a dumbfire). Of course i am saying this not knowing where the combo aspect is coming from or if you have other things planned.
Mrmacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:02 PM   #130
ZUES

So with the 100% bleedthrough on wards, shamans have to be casting heals 100% of the time. The 3 second cast time on Ascension abilities means death for the group in most cases. It takes a perfect rotation just to squeeze one in. So shamans are essentially limited to only using Ascension abilities when another healer is present in the group and/or the tanks death prevents are up. This is a little on the annoying side.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #131
Stimps

Lol....summoners are no longer T1dps, just ask troubs
Old 11-01-2016, 01:48 AM   #132
Yahku

At first i have to report a bug most probably correlated to ascension classes:
We are encountering random? encounter resets all over the heroic zones as well as in epic content over the last few days (since the Ascesion beta buff level 10 patch?!). We are not absolutely sure, but our main suspect is the Etherealists spell Implosion. It happens not at 100%, but 1-2 Nameds per instance reset, especially annoying while fighting raid nameds (e.g. Guardian of Arcanna'se, several times today. I reported it as a bug in the corresponding raid thread and several group zones since Ascension Spells/Implosion became our suspect only after todays raid).

In addition i have a question: The Ascension classes in general contain many spells which have stacks up to 25 or 50 stacks, affecting stats of players as well as enemies. Its not long ago that nearly every stacking item was indirectly removed by adding new items with better static stats to reduce the server lags, which was really horrible before this change. Aren't these stacking spells a step back into the direction of more lag again? If we do raidcontent with our twinks - which have a moderate amount of the old stacking items equiped - we directly have horrible lags compared to the same content with our main chars!
In addition todays beta raid was rather laggy compared to all the prior beta raids, maybe thats also due to these spells which were not present on our last beta raids?
Old 11-02-2016, 12:56 AM   #133
Wurm

I have found the location of all the trainers except the Etherealist. Could someone tell me where to look?
Wurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:23 AM   #134
Winddragon

I made a thread in General Beta Discussion early that has the LOC of every ascension trainer. Might want to check it if your having trouble finding one of them.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:42 AM   #135
sycla

any plans to fix dumbfires for elementalist,geomancer?
would be nice know if they are broken or working as intended before we have to choose a class
sycla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #136
Talduke

I have some concerns about the speed at which Ascension classes will level and the effect it could have on raid progression. In the live video with the devs showing us new features of the expansion they mentioned that we may need to change Ascension classes on a certain fight to do a special kind of damage to it. If this is like kralutus and we will need to do say all elemental damage to a specific raid encounter what happens to the raiders who have not leveled an elementalist yet. The fact that these classes convert all non melee driven damage to a specific type makes me wonder how much this will come in to play. Not only will this be annoying if the whole raid has to zone out to swap to different classes for one fight it could hault progression if it is going to take 97days per class to level. If this is the case and you guys are set on the one per day item I ask that there be one item for each class per day so that we can work on all 4 and be done with all 4 in 97 days. That or add in ways to get these items other than the free daily one and I don't mean DBC. I for one like to have things to work on when I have big chunks of time to play and don't like the idea of being limited to 1 bauble that I can burn through in 20mins.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:34 AM   #137
Caith

Developer

What is your character name?
Caith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:35 AM   #138
Garten

Marrj
Old 11-03-2016, 03:59 AM   #139
Conmonnn

are the ascension class procs dialed in fully? for example Elementalist's Brittle Armor says it can increment up to 50 times but can only proc once every 1 second and the duration is only 24seconds.

so reading this the max increments would be 24 or is it one proc per second for each caster?
Old 11-03-2016, 05:04 AM   #140
Caith

Developer

So it seems that when you put in a switch that lets you turn something on or off, you need to turn it on to make it work...

You should be able to level them now.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #141
Garten

Finally got around to filling up my first level of ascension xp (3,000,000/3,000,000 100.0% 0 needed) and I went to the ascension trainer (geomancy) and he won't help me out. Tells me I need to come back when I've learned a little more.

So I'm unable to advance my ascension level to learn more, and he won't advance me until I learn more. I checked the beta buffer to see if the scrolls were still there, but it looks like they have been removed. Is it possible at the moment to upgrade ascension levels at this time?
Old 11-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #142
Garten

Confirmed... it is now working as expected!
Old 11-05-2016, 02:24 AM   #143
Arieva

Except your missing the obvious..the level 1 buff is the change to damage type. No leveling at all is required to have access to that. Of course you won't get as high of a potency bump but it will work in a pinch.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:36 AM   #144
Arieva

So is there any tweaks coming to these ascension abilities before beta ends? The swarm pets that do hardly any damage? The lackluster abilities mentioned? I ask because if tweaking is going to happen after the content goes live I'll horde my items to level an ascension till it happens and we can make an informed decision on the best choice.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:25 AM   #145
Monstuhr

I didn't read all the posts here, so it might have been raised. It appears Tainted Mutation (the verdict) is not triggering its verdict effect at 3%. In raid tonight it was cast at 4% and I cast it to land at 2% neither of the two procced the verdict effect.
Monstuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:34 AM   #146
Talduke

lol good point, i obviously didn't even think of that. I still feel like the time frame is a bit stretched out but i guess that may change by a decent amount if we are getting events and such to expedite it.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #147
Wurm

I finished the signiture quest today and went to my chosen master, I accepted his offer and he gave me the form and the xp bauble. When I try to use the bauble I get the message "You must first train your active ascension class. the xp bars says progress 0/3,000,000 and xp remaining 0.

What do I do next?
Old 11-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #148
Wurm

This is the part that is bugged for me. (see post above) All 4 trainers will talk to me (and offer me their class), but I can not use the guidance scroll to start earning xp.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:57 PM   #149
Caith

Developer

That was fixed last night but not in time for today's beta build. You should be fine tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:16 AM   #150
Wurm

Thanks Caith!