EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
salty21db

Loremaster

May I be the first to say....well done SoE...well done.

I feedbacked something similar a bit back in terms of the dungeon maker and utilizing your intelligent playerbase to make content for you.

Other customers can say what they want about you but, " Revenue from the sale of these items will be shared back with the creative player" most other companies wouldn't even think about doing that part.

salty21db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Levatino

Loremaster

yeah saw it as well as an announcement of Facebook.

If you missed it you can find it here

Old 09-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Mixxit
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster

i hope they open it up more than just selecting a few each month - it really could open up a decent revenue stream for maya and max modellers out in turn give us a lot of nice objects

Alluvial, Order of Thunder @ Antonia Bayle

Maintainer of Lore of Norrath

Need lore? EQ Timeline

Mixxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Lamatu

Loremaster

By Smeds tweet it sounds like the items you can buy for SC will have stats on them.

http://eq2wire.com/2012/09/06/playe...ace/#more-14245

From John Smedley’s twitter:

Users will NOT be making stats on items. The ones we will select we will balance properly. Although we will listen to the creators.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
EsohEMO

Scholar

salty21db wrote:

Other customers can say what they want about you but, " Revenue from the sale of these items will be shared back with the creative player" no other company would even think about doing that part.

You are so uninformed, just spew out anything regardless of the weight that it holds. Of course there are those where SOE just can not do any wrong, but to each his own.

Just one example players can create musical content for Harmonix Rock Band games and get a 33% share of the revenue, the exact amount that is given to record labels and artists that sign up to have their songs made available.

This is not anything new nor is it Sony's idea and other companies have already thought about doing this very thing and have been doing it for years.

I'll bet you that the revenue sharing will not be as generous as Harmonix, and I'll also bet you that there will be cases where items that players make will be rejected for whatever reason and shortly therefter the marketplace will have something similar.

EsohEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Zygar

Loremaster

salty21db wrote:

May I be the first to say....well done SoE...well done.

I feedbacked something similar a bit back in terms of the dungeon maker and utilizing your intelligent playerbase to make content for you.

Other customers can say what they want about you but, " Revenue from the sale of these items will be shared back with the creative player" no other company would even think about doing that part.

ORLY?

http://www.teamfortress.com/workshop/

92 Provisioner
Befallen (Oasis) Server

Zygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
salty21db

Loremaster

Sorry I was definitive....let me fix it.

Will put "most" should never say never or all or such.  My mistake in the first place.  However I meant MOST MMO companies, not just gaming in general.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
salty21db

Loremaster

EsohEMO wrote:

salty21db wrote:

You are so uninformed, just spew out anything regardless of the weight that it holds. Of course there are those where SOE just can not do any wrong, but to each his own.

Just one example players can create musical content for Harmonix Rock Band games and get a 33% share of the revenue, the exact amount that is given to record labels and artists that sign up to have their songs made available.

This is not anything new nor is it Sony's idea and other companies have already thought about doing this very thing and have been doing it for years.

I'll bet you that the revenue sharing will not be as generous as Harmonix, and I'll also bet you that there will be cases where items that players make will be rejected for whatever reason and shortly therefter the marketplace will have something similar.

Where in the hell did I say that?

Old 09-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
Dexella

Community Relations

Just wanted to point out that we do have our initial FAQ posted on the website: http://www.everquest2.com/player-studio/faq

And since revenue has been brought up a few times, I'll highlight this: SOE will share 40% of the net amount it receives from the sale of the item with the player that created the item. 

We will have more information about this during SOE Live in October. Please keep your questions and feedback coming! 

~Dexella

Community Relations Manager
Dexella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
Juggercap

Elder

I can't express how much I hate this.

Here, you do our job for us, and as a bonus, pay us when your done. Hooray marketplace.

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
salty21db

Loremaster

Dexella wrote:

Just wanted to point out that we do have our initial FAQ posted on the website: http://www.everquest2.com/player-studio/faq

And since revenue has been brought up a few times, I'll highlight this: SOE will share 40% of the net amount it receives from the sale of the item with the player that created the item. 

We will have more information about this during SOE Live in October. Please keep your questions and feedback coming! 

~Dexella

Wow lol.  Did not expect that much myself.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
Loch

Historian

Juggercap wrote:

Here, you do our job for us, and as a bonus, pay us when your done. Hooray marketplace.

There are some really talented artists out there that might be able to contribute some amazing looking pieces. These are things that we would never have seen otherwise. Community involvment to this degree seems like a fantastic step in the right direction.

I'd even love to see it extended beyond the martketplace eventually, allowing players to submit created models for use in the game when creating new content.

Whenever a door like this is opened to creative people, you always see something magnificent as a result.

Loch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
Jesdyr
Server: Unrest
Guild: Curmudgeons

Loremaster

Juggercap wrote:

You dont have to have anything to do with it. Just dont buy (kinda like what many people do with the current SC stuff)

Jesdyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
Juggercap

Elder

[email protected]_old wrote:

Juggercap wrote:

You dont have to have anything to do with it. Just dont buy (kinda like what many people do with the current SC stuff)

First they came for the...

Ignoring things you don't like does nothing.

Run away! Run away!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
Juggercap

Elder

Loch wrote:

Juggercap wrote:

There are some really talented artists out there that might be able to contribute some amazing looking pieces. These are things that we would never have seen otherwise. Community involvment to this degree seems like a fantastic step in the right direction.

I'd even love to see it extended beyond the martketplace eventually, allowing players to submit created models for use in the game when creating new content.

Whenever a door like this is opened to creative people, you always see something magnificent as a result.

Something magnificent...that we'll be expected to pay for. Community created cash for SOE.

Run away! Run away!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Loch

Historian

Juggercap wrote:

Loch wrote:

Juggercap wrote:

Something magnificent...that we'll be expected to pay for. Community created cash for SOE.

But there is a market for it. Tapping into creative players and paying them to draw that in makes sense. And it works for the artists AND the players who want to buy new things with SC. They both benefit from this and it doesn't affect anyone else. If you don't like spending the money, then don't. This changes nothing.

But who knows? Maybe the marketplace will become so self sufficient that they can spend more of their own time and effort on the game itself. And that would benefit everyone.

Loch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Seffrid

Loremaster

So PSS1 get volunteer customer support staff and SOE get volunteer Marketplace design staff? Must feel good to be an employee these days!

Seffrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #18
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

It's also the opportunity for a creative designer to get their work out there, get some recognition for it, and possibly a foot in the door in the business.

SOE's own benefits aside, they are providing a  large platform for aspiring artists to sell their work and gain recognition.  It's a win for both.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #19
EsohEMO

Scholar

salty21db wrote:

Dexella wrote:

~Dexella

Wow lol.  Did not expect that much myself.

TBQH neither did I, though it is not anymore generous than what Harmonix does. Harmonix does an equal share to all parties involved 33% for both Harmonix and the creator/owner of the content and the last 33% to the platform it was sold for use on.

EsohEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #20
Neiloch

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

It's also the opportunity for a creative designer to get their work out there, get some recognition for it, and possibly a foot in the door in the business.

SOE's own benefits aside, they are providing a  large platform for aspiring artists to sell their work and gain recognition.  It's a win for both.

Yep. that's why I'm happy about it. Can finally put my bachelors degree to some decent work.

PS: I hope you guys like bows and cloaks that just happen to look a lot like quivers and nothing like cloaks.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #21
Adaeon

Tester

Hi there! I was hoping for a clarification....would the artists' compensation be in the form of a real currency (US dollars,etc), or is it a share of the SC that the sales generate?

If it is in the form of real world money, how will the SC to real cash conversion rate be handled? (e.g. sales on triple SC days would only be worth 1/3 actual value, etc.)

Also if the real world money is true, wouldn't that serve to peg the value of SC to the USD at a specific ratio? And at that point, wouldn't there be trade and employment laws to consider?

Thanks!

Adaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #22
DuneWarrior

Loremaster

Do i get to use my own items for free or will i have to purchase them too? (and then ... pay myself in the process?)

DuneWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
Suprchik407

Loremaster

I for one am looking forward to this. I have a degree in computer animation and would love to put my work out there and creating for games I love has been my passion. I create for Sims 3 currently (for fun) so I cant wait to have a chance at making items for Eq2.

Question for Devs;

On the Player Studio webpage you have a piece of armor shown, does this mean we can make armor pieces too? I just see info for objects and cloaks.

Also, can we make new hairstyles or new body fur textures? For Kerran especially, I played a siamese coated Vah Shir in Eq1, so Ive been sorely missing that coat in Eq2.

Last, can we have a place to upload and test our creations to see how they look in the game environement? Sometiems tweaks need to be made and its not possible without seeing them rendered in the game engine.

Suprchik407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #24
Dayeyes

Lord

Very awesome. I am looking forward to trying to make something myself. Maybe something that looks broken, so I can say that is how it's suppose to look. Heehee, anyway more items isn't a bad thing. So this is just a huge plus for me. 

Old 09-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #25
Alarra

Journeyman

I live in Japan, and would love to contribute, however it seems I'm on the back burner until it gets rolled out in the US first. What kind of time schedule are we looking at for International player contributions.

I can only imagine how flooded the market place will get. Is there going to be something to control the amount of items inside the categories? Maybe a search feature with tags on the items?

Are we going to have to pay a certain amount of SC to promote items we make?

Alarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #26
Alarra

Journeyman

Also are we going to have a test environment where we can check for issues like clipping, faulty/incorrectly applied textures, etc?

Alarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #27
Novusod

Loremaster

I agree well done SoE this is awesome.

Hoping the player studio lets us make armor and clothing items too. Though any clothing item we make will have to fitted to both male and female of every race. I think there will be many aspiring artists here who will take up this challenge.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:01 AM   #28
Levatino

Loremaster

Hopefully the European players will also benefit from it someday..

Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #29
ranga

Loremaster

For me this is a nice idea but the glaring omission from the FAQ and that no one else has picked up so far is what is SOE's definition of the NET amount of sales?

Anyone who has been burned on a contract will know what I'm talking about. If the idea of NET value translates to AFTER factoring in everything from director's Rolls Royces to the office tea and biscuits, I'm out lol.

The other key thing for the Euro people of course, is how much cut will PS71 want out of it? These things should all be ironed out up front and NOT when they first start burning people.

We do not think about a transfer of US server chars from EU costumers in Eq2. That should solve the biggest worries the EQ2 community has at the moment. We do not want to interfere with long build ingame relationships. This is the current way we think about it.

ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #30
convict

Loremaster

I can see soe getting swamped with stuff that will be half baked because people are trying to get their item in the mp.