EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Expansions and Adventure Packs
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
NrthnStar5

Loremaster

It's the end of November. Nothing has been released about Velious for months.

I can't help but compare to the coming "Cataclysm" in WoW. Now, this is not a wow vs. eq2 post gamewise, but it is about how expansions and media are handled. I am not a WoW hater, and I do play from time to time when I am burnt out on EQ2, but EQ2 remains my main MMO. However, I'm excited about Cataclysm! For the past several months, information has been leaked, articles released, the cinematic trailer released (Wish EQ2 still did cinematic trailers as big and epic), and plainly put, I'm stoked about it, even though i have many criticisms about the game. This is because they know how to get people excited.

Looking over on the EQ2 side, I have yet to become really excited. If WoW is EQ2's primary competition, why don't they adapt similar strategies to get people excited about a new expansion? I want to be excited about the release in Feb, but as of right now, I have nothing to be excited about!

C'mon SOE, make us drool!

NrthnStar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Vortexelemental
Server: The Bazaar
Guild: Wherever the Wind May Blow

Loremaster

This is not the content you are looking for.

Ah, you went and made me giggle.

There goes my sandwich.
Vortexelemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
NrthnStar5

Loremaster

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

This is not the content you are looking for.

Um... ok....?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Magnis
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Volcan

Loremaster

sad to say but the last expansion i actually drooled for was rok

Magnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Terrius

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

QFT QFEEver since RoK the expansions have been "oh look I get to give $40 dollars to SoE"  where as ROK was "Wow this is awesome I'm glad It was only $40!" IMO that is.

Terrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
NrthnStar5

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

This is true

Old 11-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Eveningsong

Tester

Well I think a lot of the excitement was used up pre-Odus announcement, heh.  But personally I'm really looking forward to seeing the EQ2 version of Velious SMILEY.  Hard to hype much until actual details are released though...

Eveningsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
Cusashorn

Loremaster

Remember when Smokejumper once said that advertising doesn't work? I think that's why we don't know anything new about Velious despite 3 months left before it's released.

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:00 AM   #9
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Admitting defeat. Interesting strategy...
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:09 AM   #10
shadowscale

Forum Dragon

im not hyped... im paranoid as heck its done right. and thats not looking to favorably...

dont need more dragon loot pinantas...

shadowscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Jaremai

Loremaster

If they produce some hype, then they'll have to live up to delivering it.

You can't be disappointed if you have no expectations.

Jaremai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
feldon30

Fansite Staff

shadowscale wrote:

dont need more dragon loot pinantas...

Now you tell me. Every mob in Velious is a dragon.*

*In case you didn't guess, that was humor. I have no idea what the mobs in Velious are besides educated guesses from EQ1.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
ShinGoku

Loremaster

My two cents are they know the last few expacs since rok have sucked so they don't want to build any expectations that they can't possibly match.

I desparately want to love the game like I did up until just before TSO but its getting harder for me as I know I will more than likely end up dropping $40 and then going "[Removed for Content], this is all I get for my money?".

ShinGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
Banditman

Loremaster

Advertising may not work, but word of mouth in your committed community *most certainly does*.

Some communication of what to expect along with interaction would go a long way toward energizing the existing community for an upcoming content update.

EQ2 has a podcast (I believe).  Why are there not different developers doing interviews every week talking about what they are excited about, what we should be excited about, what they are working on, what we can look forward to . . . answering questions.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
Thunndar316

Loremaster

They don't even mention Velious on the EQ2 website yet.  Pathetic

Sleight of Hand is USELESS
Thunndar316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
dalponis

Loremaster

I don't even know what to say. It's like SoE doesn't even care.

dalponis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
Zabjade

Loremaster

I really do wish they would at least put in the effort and advertise on TV or even Hulu!

I've been saying this for years! :sigh:

Old 11-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #18
Amnerys

Community Team

I'm not Marketing, but I go to a lot of meetings with our Marketing team. Here's what I can tell you about Velious and what I believe about marketing it.

Cataclysm launches in a couple of weeks. Until then, WoW has bought up most of the ad space in the places we'd also advertise, and it would honestly be a giant waste of money to even try to advertise at the same time. Everyone's brain is on Cataclysm, so I think we'd do best to wait until it launches and their campaign is cooling off. It'd be like trying to advertise Halloween costumes in April, while everyone's excited about Easter. Sure, a few people might notice, but you wouldn't get a good return on your investment.

Also, it doesn't always pay in this day and age to start advertising too soon. We're still over 3 months from launch. The team is still working on content. Once things are nailed down and locked in, we'll have the best screenshots to work with, finalized information to share, etc. As soon as the team and Marketing and PR feel like we've got the best images and info, they'll start sharing it, don't worry. SMILEY

Amnerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #19
ccarro

General

Thunndar316 wrote:

They don't even mention Velious on the EQ2 website yet.  Pathetic

Exactly.

There are a few things to note along the same lines...

1. Eq2players.com hasn't been updated/fixed in years

2. EQ2 has never had any publicity

3. A "what's coming in the next year" type post has not happened in years

4. There has been almost no new content since the expansion (the few things that have been released were horrible)

Give us some things to look forward too! PLEASE!

...What am I getting at?

...IT'S LAZINESs AND BAD MANAGEMENT!

Give us some info on the expansion!

Update eq2players!

Show some dedication to the players and the live servers!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #20
Cusashorn

Loremaster

Amnerys wrote:

I'm not Marketing, but I go to a lot of meetings with our Marketing team. Here's what I can tell you about Velious and what I believe about marketing it.

Cataclysm launches in a couple of weeks. Until then, WoW has bought up most of the ad space in the places we'd also advertise, and it would honestly be a giant waste of money to even try to advertise at the same time. Everyone's brain is on Cataclysm, so I think we'd do best to wait until it launches and their campaign is cooling off. It'd be like trying to advertise Halloween costumes in April, while everyone's excited about Easter. Sure, a few people might notice, but you wouldn't get a good return on your investment.

Also, it doesn't always pay in this day and age to start advertising too soon. We're still over 3 months from launch. The team is still working on content. Once things are nailed down and locked in, we'll have the best screenshots to work with, finalized information to share, etc. As soon as the team and Marketing and PR feel like we've got the best images and info, they'll start sharing it, don't worry.

All things considered, I thought this probably would be the case anyway. WoW is really plugging thier next expansion right now, so for anyone else to try to do the same would just be wasted effort and money.

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #21
Lizzoraus
Server: Blackburrow
Guild: Avalon

Loremaster

If you read the features of velious its a pretty pathetic expansion especially for what it should be. If it was going to actually do velious justice it would be larger than kunark @ launch.

Lizzoraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #22
Lizzoraus
Server: Blackburrow
Guild: Avalon

Loremaster

Cusashorn wrote:

Amnerys wrote:

Also, it doesn't always pay in this day and age to start advertising too soon. We're still over 3 months from launch. The team is still working on content. Once things are nailed down and locked in, we'll have the best screenshots to work with, finalized information to share, etc. As soon as the team and Marketing and PR feel like we've got the best images and info, they'll start sharing it, don't worry.

All things considered, I thought this probably would be the case anyway. WoW is really plugging thier next expansion right now, so for anyone else to try to do the same would just be wasted effort and money.

WoW's expansion isnt just an expansion though, its a complete overhaul of their world. Really its like relaunching the game in a new state most of the basic mechanics have changed. EQ2 may not be able to "compete" with WoW in sheer volume but it has its niche of players.

Lizzoraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #23
Banditman

Loremaster

Amnerys wrote:

So, you still have nothing to say about Velious, only about WoW and Marketing.

We don't care about Cataclysm.  Marketing is one thing, communication something different entirely.  I realize your hands are probably tied.  Nevertheless, there are many people who feel that we should know a lot more about what we are going to be getting with Velious.  Communication has never been SOE's strong suit, and it continues to be so weak that people are constantly forced to hammer away at that achilles heel.

So Velious has been delayed?  When it was announced, it was announced for February 8.  That puts it at just barely more than two months away.  Has there been a delay?  Has this been communicated in some form or fashion?

Old 11-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #24
Landiin

Loremaster

Amnerys wrote:

Once things are nailed down and locked in, we'll have the best screenshots to work with, finalized information to share, etc.

Hmm, this is what scares me; a little over 3 months from release and things are not nailed down? I would hope EVERY thing is nailed down and nothing is being done but coding and polishing... Your statement has me worried Amnerys.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #25
Zabjade

Loremaster

Amnerys wrote:

If we see some advertising post Cataclysm launch I will revise my opinion on SOE marketing, I mean on TV, Hulu as well as insider rescources such as game magazines.

A lot of people I talk to on IRC are surprised that Everquest II is even still around, and that's only if they have heard of it at all.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #26
kcirrot

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Sadly true. 

kcirrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #27
Gaige

Loremaster

Amnerys wrote:

We're still over 3 months from launch. The team is still working on content. Once things are nailed down and locked in, we'll have the best screenshots to work with, finalized information to share, etc.

This shouldn't, but it still does blow my mind.

At this point you should be almost ready for beta and just polishing up stuff for the final couple of months so it launches complete, ready and playable.

Still developing content for the expansion at this point is insane.  Between Thanksgiving and Christmas you're going to have huge gaps.  The majority of it should be done prior to Thanksgiving.

Besides, why all the comments the last couple months from developers saying live stuff is on hold because they're working on Velious?  So the live game is delayed and Velious is going to be worked on right up until launch (and after) again.

I just don't understand I guess.  Its like the EQ2 team never learns from past mistakes.  We get fewer updates, less content, stuff gets shelved, all kinds of delays and the reasoning is always "its so we can work on the expansion and make it amazing" and then the expansion launches buggy and broken missing all sorts of content and the same cycle starts again.

I mean its two days from Thanksgiving and Velious isn't being advertised because there isn't enough content done to take marketing screenshots?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #28
Thunndar316

Loremaster

The hope that Velious will be great is the only thing that keeps me playing, that and the 5 close friends in my guild.  It is so disappointing to have no information on it other than the short video launched at fan fare. 

What about itemization?  SF was so screwed up after launch and I fear that Velious will be in the same boat. 

I really have no desire to just level up another 50 AA's and farm for more raid gear on a laggy server with a dwindling population.  It's really getting old.

Will I purchase Velious?  Yes.  Will I be disappointed?  Probably.  Velious in EQ1 was the best experience I ever had in any MMO and the expectations are so high I sincerely doubt this crippled dev team could ever live up to them. 

I hate to say it but Rift is looking very good right now.

Sleight of Hand is USELESS
Thunndar316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #29
MurFalad

Loremaster

Banditman wrote:

Advertising may not work, but word of mouth in your committed community *most certainly does*.

Some communication of what to expect along with interaction would go a long way toward energizing the existing community for an upcoming content update.

EQ2 has a podcast (I believe).  Why are there not different developers doing interviews every week talking about what they are excited about, what we should be excited about, what they are working on, what we can look forward to . . . answering questions.

Getting the devs into podcasts really would help and be pretty cool, lore, storyline and things going on really would help right now as one criticism is too often I'm left wondering what the actual expansion is about (its not mentioned on the back of the retail box even!).  That sort of advertising would not be effected by the hype machine for WoW either.

As for expansions, I started with RoK, it was excellent, but TSO for me was the best, since it overlapped the RoK level range it gave a perfect 70-80 and end game experience with the sheer amount of solo content for RoK + the great dungeons of TSO (and another big landmass to adventure in which for me is a favourite). 

But since SF is a totally different expansion to RoK (its more balanced in solo vs group) I'm not sure what Velious will be, my feel is it'll be more like SF in size, at least for part 1, I guess we'll have to see.  Timewise it would work better for a march/april launch vs WoW since it seems like they have put the lions effort into revamping the lower levels, the high level content to me looks smaller then TSO, but without the benefit of RoK to partner with.  I can see a lot of people getting bored within 3-5 months there, then again maybe I'm jaded, I'm not its greatest fan.

And if they wait another two years for expansion 4....  ouch.

MurFalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #30
Amnerys

Community Team

Banditman wrote:

So Velious has been delayed?  When it was announced, it was announced for February 8.  That puts it at just barely more than two months away.  Has there been a delay?  Has this been communicated in some form or fashion?

Nope, it hasn't been delayed. They're right on track, on a normal expansion cycle. Content deadlines are coming up soon no doubt, but they're never this far out from launch. So you should still expect to see Velious on 2/8/11. SMILEY

Amnerys is offline   Reply With Quote