EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Expansions and Adventure Packs
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
Zard

General

This is just a request that others might share but have not vocalized, so feel free to ignore it.

I am loving going through T1 - T7 content with my 3-person guild's level-locked trios (we have multiple) but, once we hit Kunark, heroic content gets rough for us and most of The Shadow Oddysey instances are extremely hard. The Hole, on the other hand, is challenging, fun but not very rewarding. Our characters are mostly equipped with Mastercrafted gear, Expert spells/CAs but virtually no Fabled (except Master spells/CAs). We do not raid or grind in the Battlegrounds for better gear and have no desire to.

Anyway, much of EQ2's older heroic content is great for small (3-4 PC) groups but it seems like the newer heroic content is intended for large (5-6 PC) groups. I hope Velious (and future expansions) include significant small group content even if it is implemented as selecting the difficulty level of an instance -- like Splitpaw Saga.

That is all, thanks for reading. 

Old 08-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
ShinGoku

Loremaster

I will happily second this.  I love to duo dungeons etc with my wifey healer SMILEY

We tried Kanors... We failed... HARD....

ShinGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
Gungo

Loremaster

KC castle, Sebilis, and chardok are all to hard?

Honestly RoK had the alot of contested zone small group content.

I would honestly like the arena turned into a solo adventure experience sorta like a mini adventure areas and a gladiator type event where you have to fight each arena pet. and when you defeat them you win that pet, maybe a title, arena based appearance gear, and maybe a level 50 or 60 armour set.

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
ShinGoku

Loremaster

Gungo wrote:

I would honestly like the arena turned into a solo adventure experience sorta like a mini adventure areas and a gladiator type event where you have to fight each arena pet. and when you defeat them you win that pet, maybe a title, arena based appearance gear, and maybe a level 50 or 60 armour set.

It wasn't the difficulty (tho spike damage WAS an issue but I'm chalking that up to lag) but it was rather the piddly amount of xp to be made.  Considering the drolvargs at the entrace are all ^^^ (and underconned IMHO) they gave about .05% xp per kill roughly.  Not good enough considering we can chronomentor down and do other zones twice as fast with better xp!

ShinGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Pervis

Loremaster

One of the few good things RoK did was raise the bar on player skill.

Up until RoK, you could literally auto attack and kill any solo mob in the game. Heroic mobs required auto attack and a healer.

RoK made it so you needed to pay attention. If you made a mistake on a solo mob of the same level as you, there was a chance you could die.

However, what they did not do was increase the actual difficulty of mobs. If you play your class to its fullest, you should be able to do exactly what you were able to do before. If you had a group of three that were killing heroic encounters in T7, then assuming everyone is playing their class as well as it can be played, and your gear is of the same quality level it was then, you should be able to kill heroic encounters in T8 and T9.

Pervis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Gungo

Loremaster

ShinGoku wrote:

Gungo wrote:

It wasn't the difficulty (tho spike damage WAS an issue but I'm chalking that up to lag) but it was rather the piddly amount of xp to be made.  Considering the drolvargs at the entrace are all ^^^ (and underconned IMHO) they gave about .05% xp per kill roughly.  Not good enough considering we can chronomentor down and do other zones twice as fast with better xp!

I spent alot of time in KC the only good thing about that zone was farming legendary loot. But It is also a decent zone to do at least one trip through in order to get the AAXP from the numerous amount of named in the zone. There are about 15/16 named in KC you can kill in 30-45 minutes. The regular xp rate in that zone wasnt very good though.

On the other hand Sebilis is one of the best xp zones in that expansion. In fact it is so good on xp that ALOT of people powerleveled to lvl 85/86 when SF released. the base population is condensed and it also has a decent amount of named but is significantly easier then KC for the xp. The honestly cant raise the xp rate in sebilis anymore without making it completely overpowered for xp rate.

Chardok i never cared for the xp rate or named since everything was so spread out, but it also has alot of named.

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Zard

General

Contested (public) dungeons are, generally, easier than instances. I was referring to instances and having an option to select the level of difficulty -- much like Splitpaw.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

Not likely to happen. Adding multiple difficulties to instances to add more of a "small group" tier in itemization means more itemization to do. There'll probably be an instance or two that is on the easier end that may be clearable with a small group (3-4 people), but in general they're balanced around full groups because that's what most people do for instances. The old world content was originally intended for full groups as well, it's just become easier over time because of stat additions.

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Obadiah

Loremaster

The problem is, if they make content for small groups, then moderately-geared toons solo it, then there are rounds of reactionary nerfs. If/when they make it, it's not going to be much more rewarding than The Hole relatively speaking. And if you include the faction gear it's an OK stepping stone from the previous tier. Maybe ... MAYBE ... they could add something similar to what the Hole was at launch and not turn it in to a waste of space two weeks later.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Wigg
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: The Chosen

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

This is just a request that others might share but have not vocalized, so feel free to ignore it.

I am loving going through T1 - T7 content with my 3-person guild's level-locked trios (we have multiple) but, once we hit Kunark, heroic content gets rough for us and most of The Shadow Oddysey instances are extremely hard. The Hole, on the other hand, is challenging, fun but not very rewarding. Our characters are mostly equipped with Mastercrafted gear, Expert spells/CAs but virtually no Fabled (except Master spells/CAs). We do not raid or grind in the Battlegrounds for better gear and have no desire to.

Anyway, much of EQ2's older heroic content is great for small (3-4 PC) groups but it seems like the newer heroic content is intended for large (5-6 PC) groups. I hope Velious (and future expansions) include significant small group content even if it is implemented as selecting the difficulty level of an instance -- like Splitpaw Saga.

I hope this is a joke...  You do understand that you can go to the hole and pretty much duo your way to 90 already.  Then, with the faction you earned, buy a bunch of faction gear that with it, you can already trio 2 or 3 of the mark zones.  I give this post a -1 and agree with someone above me who said you will just encourage raid geared to solo these "easy mode" zones.

Wigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
Yella

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I hope this is a joke...  You do understand that you can go to the hole and pretty much duo your way to 90 already.  Then, with the faction you earned, buy a bunch of faction gear that with it, you can already trio 2 or 3 of the mark zones.  I give this post a -1 and agree with someone above me who said you will just encourage raid geared to solo these "easy mode" zones.

And the problem with that is.....?

Yella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
Goldburg

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I give this post a -1 and agree with someone above me who said you will just encourage raid geared to solo these "easy mode" zones.

This is already done.

As for what the OP has posted it is pretty spot on for small groups. RoK was like hitting a brick wall for duos and trios. KC the damage from the trash is worse than that in Seb which makes no sense. As far as Chardock it's a huge zone that lacked the movement room of other contested dungeons, damage wise it's on par with Seb till you get in the back 40.

The xp was pitiful in RoK from the contested dungeons (except Seb) vs. chronomentoring and doing other things. Then we get to SF which has the Hole. My first little adventure into the Hole was solo at 83 and I walked away after killing off a named and various trash, wondering why was Tier 8 harder than Tier 9. Just for verification my bruiser the character I did this on was wearing a mix of SF quest gear, Tier 8 legendary and Tier 8 MC armor with only adept spells.

So for Vellious are we getting SF difficulty or Kunark/TSO difficulty?

Goldburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
Denon

Loremaster

I 100% agree with the OP. I play a duo with my wife and once Kunark came out there was basically no duo content. It is either Solo ( which is absolutely no challange for a duo ) or full group - where there is no chance for a duo.

Also - all the content that a duo could even try to do ( T8+) is contested. So then you will get a group or someone in Raid gear that will come through and constantly obliterate everythig you are trying to do (Especially during bonus EXP weekends). What is the harm in having some options for a casual duo to have some NON-Contested content???

You say - 'well then you will have RAID greared people soloing those instances'.   SO WHAT!

Make the gear/rewards that drop in these duo instances good for a duo - and suck for a raider.

We are in mastercrafted/legendary gear that is obtainable as a duo and we have tried the hole. Basically we can duo maybe 20% of it, and there does not seem to be any progression in there for us to upgrade anything so we would be able to move on and handle 30%, 40% etc.

For those of you who say the Hole is easy for a duo, or even to solo..... Take off your RAID gear and see what it is like as a casual player.

Casual playes still exist out there - but we are loosing them left and right. For the first couple of years I knew a bunch of friends who were husband/wife duo's who played this game. All of them have moved on to other games now. I really wish something would happen in the game so I can call them and say 'Hey you should check this out - it will be awsome for a duo and you 2 will probably have a great time doing this.'

When you have kids at home its hard to group/raid - most of the time you play the only good option is to duo/solo.

Denon

----------------------- [ Permafrost Server] -----------------
Thomm ... Qeynos 92/320 Troubador, 92 Carpenter, T9 (450) Transmuter
Denon ..... Qeynos 90/320 Warden, 90 Tailor
Draziw ..... Freeport 92/320 Wizard, 90 Sage
Jacuzzi .... Freeport 92/320 Necromancer, 90 Woodworker
Steab ...... Qeynos 92/320 Guardian, 90 Armorer, T9 (450) Tinker
----------------------------------------------------------------

.....(-.-).....

Denon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
Gilli
Server: Blackburrow
Guild: Mithril Web

Loremaster

I agree with the OP too, and have had the same experience.  Duo and trioed most of the game with a few characters, hit a wall at Kunark, and then returned to duos and trios when I discovered the Hole.  

I actually quit playing for several months when I hit that RoK wall, too... nothing seemed fun to me anymore.  The same duo that had a challenging and fun experience in Blackscale Sepulcher or Den of the Devourer got ripped to shreds by the first Drolvarg in KC.  I wasn't particularly bitter, I just figured the game had changed and I needed some time to decide whether it was something I could adapt to.

Fortunately the SF content sucked me back in, and it's emphasis on group content for all skill levels lead me to a more group-based playstyle.  These days I'm currently having a good time with my guildies in the SF heroic instances.  I'm even ready to kick it up a notch from the beginner stuff, and there's plenty to look forward to. 

The progression from beginner to expert wasn't so kind in RoK content, imo.  So I add my +1 to having Velious follow the SF model vs. RoK.

Gilli is offline   Reply With Quote