EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
MindParadox

Loremaster

I want to pose a series of examples, you tell me which is hardcore, which is casual SMILEY

Patriots

1. "Mr. President, i think it would be really neat if you gave me 2 million dollars, awesome guns, and free reign to kill anyone i want for this country"

2. "Mr. President, i volunteered for the army because it is my duty as a citizen to protect this country from all enemies, foreign and domestic. I ask for no reward other than the satisfaction of doing my duty correctly"

Car Lovers

1. "Cars are [Removed for Content] awesome! im into muscle cars man, wow, muscle cars are just awesome"

2. "The Mach 1 Mustang is the best car ever designed, i don't care what anyone else thinks, thats simply how it is and i will argue with anyone who says otherwise"

Gamers

1. "I just wanna run thought the game as fast as possible and beat it so i can move onto the next game"

2. "I want to play this game every day, i want to see everything there is, do everything there is, and i'm gonna stay with this game till that happens"

Xbox Gamer Score

1. "I wnt a high gamer score, but i think you should be able to compete using only first person shooters, the rest of the games are just crap anyway, so why do i want to play them?"

2. "I'm going to have the highest gamerscore on the planet, and im going to play any game they put out to stay there once i do it"

Computer Geeks

1. "I'm a computer geek, i went to a class for a few months, and i can build my own computer."

2. "im a computer geek, i can build my own system, debug and recompile my Linux Kernel, know TCP/IP inside and out, and can write my own programs when no one has come up with something i need"

If you answered 2. to more than 3 of these, you just defined Hardcore as a person who actually cares about what they are doing, and will stick with it to the end, no matter what they have to do

Meaning that the definition of Casual is someone who will get bored quickly and move on to the next thing as fast as possible SMILEY

Welcome to the Twilight Zone folks!

It's only Red ^^^ x4, you and I can take that easily!

The difference between a Casual and a Hardcore Gamer is that the Casual gets bored and switches games regularly, while the Hardcore Gamer becomes emotionally attached to one game. Which Are You?
MindParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
KachikoJa

General

I would have to say.... by the definitions above, I'm probably leaning more heavily to the hardcore play style in what I choose to do in game.... I am a hardcore tradeskiller....

And I'm sure there are hardcore questers, grinders, soloers, duoers, groupers, and raiders.... quite honestly... I doubt anyone is hardcore enough to really adequately fit the definition of experiencing the game to the fullest... that person... would do every quest, kill every mob, solo, duo, group, and raid... and do every aspect of tradeskilling... from every writ, to every recipe for their class, every faction (applies to adventurers too... both city and non-city aligned requiring betraying), run every tradeskill instance... heck maybe they'd need to loot every item possible...

But I don't think there's a one of us who can live up to that... so, suffice it say, we all fall short... and quite honestly... I don't much care what title someone goes by as long as we can all try to respect different people's playstyles and not force the game to arbitrarily change to suit only our needs...

For instance, I saw a post referring to TSO instances not being casual... the part of the thread I read said that Cavern of the Afflicted was a terrible zone because they couldn't tank and spank.... and ya know what, I hope there's a zone where you can do that if you want... but it's been my favorite zone so far... and I think I'd be really bummed if they "nerfed" it just cause they figured it was too "hardcore"...

Old 12-18-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
Spyderbite
Server: Venekor
Guild: Dark Vengeance

Loremaster

Probably best for the Off Topic Forum.. But I'll play for the time being before it gets moved.

MindParadox wrote:

I want to pose a series of examples, you tell me which is hardcore, which is casual

Patriots

1. "Mr. President, i think it would be really neat if you gave me 2 million dollars, awesome guns, and free reign to kill anyone i want for this country"

2. "Mr. President, i volunteered for the army because it is my duty as a citizen to protect this country from all enemies, foreign and domestic. I ask for no reward other than the satisfaction of doing my duty correctly"

I agree with this analogy.

Car Lovers

1. "Cars are [Removed for Content] awesome! im into muscle cars man, wow, muscle cars are just awesome"

2. "The Mach 1 Mustang is the best car ever designed, i don't care what anyone else thinks, thats simply how it is and i will argue with anyone who says otherwise"

Gamers

1. "I just wanna run thought the game as fast as possible and beat it so i can move onto the next game"

2. "I want to play this game every day, i want to see everything there is, do everything there is, and i'm gonna stay with this game till that happens"

Another good one. Great comparison of today's current play styles.

Xbox Gamer Score

1. "I wnt a high gamer score, but i think you should be able to compete using only first person shooters, the rest of the games are just crap anyway, so why do i want to play them?"

2. "I'm going to have the highest gamerscore on the planet, and im going to play any game they put out to stay there once i do it"

I don't get this one.

Computer Geeks

1. "I'm a computer geek, i went to a class for a few months, and i can build my own computer."

2. "im a computer geek, i can build my own system, debug and recompile my Linux Kernel, know TCP/IP inside and out, and can write my own programs when no one has come up with something i need"

Don't get this one either, nor understand how it applies to game play.

If you answered 2. to more than 3 of these, you just defined Hardcore as a person who actually cares about what they are doing, and will stick with it to the end, no matter what they have to do

Meaning that the definition of Casual is someone who will get bored quickly and move on to the next thing as fast as possible

Still confused. How do any of these questions apply to "hard core" vs. "casual gamer"?

Yah... That probably makes the most sense of all the statements/questions.

Spyderbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
MindParadox

Loremaster

well, i was trying to give examples of things OTHER than the recent hardcore gamer/casual gamer comparisons

Hardcore Geek, casual Geek,

the guy who will do anything required to get to his goal, or the guy who wants the requirements to change (xpox gamerscore) so he can meet that goal faster/easier

these are actually fairly simple example of a casual way of thinking vs hardcore

The King of Kong, THAT'S hardcore, played the same game for 20+ years simply so that he could have the satisfaction of knowing he had played every variation to its fullest, and lo and behold, as a side note he got [Removed for Content] famous for it

make more sense?

theres hardcore/casual going on all around us every day, but for some reason, we completely reverse the definition when it comes to gaming

why?

The difference between a Casual and a Hardcore Gamer is that the Casual gets bored and switches games regularly, while the Hardcore Gamer becomes emotionally attached to one game. Which Are You?
Old 12-18-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
Spyderbite
Server: Venekor
Guild: Dark Vengeance

Loremaster

MindParadox wrote:

make more sense?

Nope.

theres hardcore/casual going on all around us every day, but for some reason, we completely reverse the definition when it comes to gaming

Who does? What's your point? That casual gamers don't need to be catered to so the game is harder? Or that the game needs to be easier so that hard cores can be catered to?

why?

Cause I don't understand. I think there should be a balance between casual (duos, solos and single groups) and hard core (raid guilds). But, I don't believe that Raid content should be opened up to the "casual" player. Doing a search for "casual" there are dozens of posts that have already been approached on this subject. 

If I'm way off base on your purpose then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Spyderbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
MindParadox

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

MindParadox wrote:

make more sense?

Nope.

Who does? What's your point? That casual gamers don't need to be catered to so the game is harder? Or that the game needs to be easier so that hard cores can be catered to?

why?

Cause I don't understand. I think there should be a balance between casual (duos, solos and single groups) and hard core (raid guilds). But, I don't believe that Raid content should be opened up to the "casual" player. Doing a search for "casual" there are dozens of posts that have already been approached on this subject. 

If I'm way off base on your purpose then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

yep, way off base

the definition of hardcore when applied to anything EXCEPT gaming is someone who cares passionately about that single thing, to the exclusion of nearly anything else

yet the people most consider "hardcore" in gaming are people who are out only for themselves and its all about "i win, lets move on"

the ONLY point of my post, was simply to point out to people that the definitions are skewed when it comes to gaming

think about the most hardcore (anything but gamer) in your life

now, imagine if that person treated gaming the same way they treat (whatever it is that ISNT gaming)

then look at the standard hardcore/casual debates

you will (assuming you have the ability to step back from something, remove all emotion, nd look at it logically with no bias) very quickly come to the conclusion that the definitions are backwards

incidentally, i said nothing about  "I think there should be a balance between casual (duos, solos and single groups) and hard core (raid guilds). But, I don't believe that Raid content should be opened up to the "casual" player. Doing a search for "casual" there are dozens of posts that have already been approached on this subject. "

thems YOUR words, not mine

the "casuals should get X Hardcores want X" debate never entered into my post, because honestly, i refuse to enter into a conversation where i think 99% of people are morons SMILEY

if you read my post, and all you could see is another person wanting something catered to them, i highly suggest "Hooked on Phonix" and a good reading comprehension course at your nearest school, FAST

Old 12-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
greenmantle

Loremaster

MindParadox wrote:

I want to pose a series of examples, you tell me which is hardcore, which is casual

Patriots

[Removed for Content] so Blackwater is a casual guild SMILEY

greenmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:49 AM   #8
Chefren

Loremaster

I think we need more definitions:

• Raidcore
  • Craftcore
  • AFKcore
  • Cybercore
  • Slackcore
  • Noobcore
  • Casualcore

Then everyone can be "core" since that sounds so much more l33t!

Old 12-19-2008, 04:52 AM   #9
MindParadox

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

• Raidcore
  • Craftcore
  • AFKcore
  • Cybercore
  • Slackcore
  • Noobcore
  • Casualcore

Wow, did you actually bother to read anything past the title of this thread?

Old 12-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #10
bks6721

Loremaster

I just don't agree with the definition you provide.

Which class am I?

I play 3 to 4 hours every night after work.  I've been playing 4+ year.  I have 2 lvl 80 adventures, 3 80 crafters and several 30-50's.  Thanks to transmuting I have a level 4 Warlock thats a Destroyer of Aviaks.  Don't ask how long that took.

I don't raid often.  Like 4 times a year at most.  I like to group more than solo quest.  I probably spend 5 hrs a week harvesting crafting raws and shinys.

Neither one of my 80 has completed the epic weapon quest.  Honestly don't care if I do since I know that 82 MC will be pretty good once its available.

I want void armor because, well thats what you are supposed to have for TSO. /eyeroll  My guild has nearly 200 individual accounts but during my personal playtime, only 2 other people are within my level range.  Guild groups for TSO are out for that reason.  PUGs are a pain to get.  I spend way too much time in my guildhall trying to get into a TSO group and I usually end up helping a guildy with some teir 5-7 quest instead.

My 80's have exactly ZERO masters.  Never had one drop for them and I will not pay broker price for them.  They do have adept 3's though!  Made them myself from rares I harvested! WOot!

I read forums to try to learn how to play my 2 80's better.  I assign aa's with group content in mind much to my wizards dismay.. he misses being a battlemage.  But alas.. his dps is subpar according to all the parses that keep showing up in my group chat window.  Never heard a complaint about my templars healing though.  At least not until TSO.  It's fun having a ranger who's never played a healer tell you how to play yours. Stop pullin agro's I tell'm but nope, its my fault.  lol

anyway, I really don't know if I'm casual or hardcore by your definition.   I got my very first Void Shard in my 4th TSO dungeon.   I've seen more mender bots than Void Shards lately.  Based on that alone, I don't think I'm hardcore.

Maybe I'm just an EQ2 player?

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
Chefren

Loremaster

MindParadox wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

• Raidcore
  • Craftcore
  • AFKcore
  • Cybercore
  • Slackcore
  • Noobcore
  • Casualcore

Yes all of it. The division between "casual" and "hardcore" is like trying to classify the entire colour scale into "black" and "white". It's a lost cause.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #12
dawy

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

MindParadox wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

• Raidcore
  • Craftcore
  • AFKcore
  • Cybercore
  • Slackcore
  • Noobcore
  • Casualcore

Yes all of it. The division between "casual" and "hardcore" is like trying to classify the entire colour scale into "black" and "white". It's a lost cause.

I have to agree..i'm at a loss as to the OP views on hardcore/casual gamer..

To me i define a hardcore player who wracks through the content,bleeds it dry and moves on

A casual is someone who moves through content at a much slower pace..

Its a minefield thats for sure

dawy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #13
steelbadger

Loremaster

I have never really defined Hardcore/Casual in terms of play time, or content seen, or content intended.

I have always regarded Hardcore as being a drive to be the best you can be.  A drive to read class forums for little snippets of info that get you an extra 0.1% performance.  No matter if you play 1 hr a week or 40 hrs a week you can be "hardcore".  Most hardcore players will derive satisfaction from working hard towards a goal and finally accomplishing it.

Casual I'd define as a more happy-go-lucky approach to gaming.  The "it doesn't really matter, it's only a game" approach.  Pick up the class/game as you go along because it's not a job and people have better things to do with their real-life time than read forums.  Casuals get fun from games in a more diffuse way; they have fun simply by being logged in and playing the game.

I think it is very important that we describe the third group of people;

Hardcore-Slightly-Casual.  They have the same aims as the true Hardcore players but also have that little bit of casual blood in them telling them that they have better things to do with their life than learn as much as they can about the game.  This results in a want for achievement (the same kind of achievements as the true hardcore), but a want for achievement NOW (without having to waste real-life time learning the minutae of the game) rather than a want for achievement after it has been fully earned.

Casuals and Hardcore players tend to conflict due to their differing views in a group.  A Hardcore believes that people should strive to do the best they can, and if they don't they are holding everyone back in the worst possible way.  Casuals believe that Hardcores are stuck-up leetlord ubermongers.  Only concerned with parses, gear and strats.  Casuals can't help but wonder why people can't just enjoy the game for what it is, like they do.  So what if we die some?

And that is why I don't think casuals are the source of all the "omg too hard" posts.  It's only a game, what does it matter if someone else has a mythical or fabled gear, or can do a zone they (the casual) cannot do?  It doesn't.  It's only a game and as soon as you hit /camp desktop nothing in it matters.

steelbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #14
Noaani

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I think there should be a balance between casual (duos, solos and single groups) and hard core (raid guilds). But, I don't believe that Raid content should be opened up to the "casual" player.

Few things.

You state that you don't want raiding opened up to casuals, yet fail to realise that there are more casual raiders in the game than hardcore.

You want a balance between casual content (which you define as solo, duo and small group) and hardcore content (which you define as raid). What about hardcore solo or duo content? what about casual raid content?

Casual/hardcore and solo/duo/group/raid are different conversations. Don't get them mixed up with each other.

The superior man knows what is right.
The inferior man knows what will sell.

Confucius

Noaani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #15
Noaani

Loremaster

bks6721 wrote:

I just don't agree with the definition you provide.

Which class am I?

I play 3 to 4 hours every night after work.  I've been playing 4+ year.  I have 2 lvl 80 adventures, 3 80 crafters and several 30-50's.  Thanks to transmuting I have a level 4 Warlock thats a Destroyer of Aviaks.  Don't ask how long that took.

I don't raid often.  Like 4 times a year at most.  I like to group more than solo quest.  I probably spend 5 hrs a week harvesting crafting raws and shinys.

Neither one of my 80 has completed the epic weapon quest Honestly don't care if I do since I know that 82 MC will be pretty good once its available.

I want void armor because, well thats what you are supposed to have for TSO. /eyeroll  My guild has nearly 200 individual accounts but during my personal playtime, only 2 other people are within my level range.  Guild groups for TSO are out for that reason.  PUGs are a pain to get.  I spend way too much time in my guildhall trying to get into a TSO group and I usually end up helping a guildy with some teir 5-7 quest instead.

My 80's have exactly ZERO masters.  Never had one drop for them and I will not pay broker price for them.  They do have adept 3's though!  Made them myself from rares I harvested! WOot!

I read forums to try to learn how to play my 2 80's better.  I assign aa's with group content in mind much to my wizards dismay.. he misses being a battlemage.  But alas.. his dps is subpar according to all the parses that keep showing up in my group chat window.  Never heard a complaint about my templars healing though.  At least not until TSO.  It's fun having a ranger who's never played a healer tell you how to play yours. Stop pullin agro's I tell'm but nope, its my fault.  lol

anyway, I really don't know if I'm casual or hardcore by your definition.   I got my very first Void Shard in my 4th TSO dungeon.   I've seen more mender bots than Void Shards lately.  Based on that alone, I don't think I'm hardcore.

Maybe I'm just an EQ2 player?

You are more of a casual adventurer than the average EQ2 player, the first highlighted part is the givaway. You may qualify for being a hardcore farmer due to your level 4 toon. You are slightly over average as a crafter/harvester combination.

The second highlighted part made me laugh. If you actually know what to look for on gear, you would realise that there are a lot of better items out there, and the T2 void shard is little more than the bottom line of gear you want for running the 2 harder TSO instances. Shard armour is not the goal, the goal is to replace it with better.

The superior man knows what is right.
The inferior man knows what will sell.

Confucius

Noaani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #16
Jaklin

Master

what about someone whos been a casual player since dayone? I know people who have, they havent got bored, they dont raid, they dont chase the uber items, they dont stand around comparing crit sizes!!! they are casual and dont fit into your analogies.

Jaklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #17
dawy

Loremaster

Jaklin wrote:

what about someone whos been a casual player since dayone? I know people who have, they havent got bored, they dont raid, they dont chase the uber items, they dont stand around comparing crit sizes!!! they are casual and dont fit into your analogies.

LOL comparing crit sizes..sounds almost rude

dawy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #18
Kyusoath

Seer

Console = Casuals

PC = Not casual.

there is no hardcore really, you can be a hardcore casual or hardcore rice eater or hardcore air breather

Kyusoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #19
Zorastiz
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Dressed To Kill

Loremaster

Oh NOES, not this again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zorastiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #20
firza

Loremaster

MindParadox wrote:

well, i was trying to give examples of things OTHER than the recent hardcore gamer/casual gamer comparisons

Any comparison between HCG/CG is false by default that there are no smart catagories in which you can easily devide people.

Its like left and right in politics. Many of my friends choose a different party every election, not concerned by if this party is left or right.

ps; please take recent out of there, and replace it with continuous/wink

firza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #21
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

Hardcore / casual is a state of mind. How you view your self may be totally opposite to the way you are viewed by others and vice versa.

Casual players couldn't care less as long as they're enjoying themselves. Most people on these forums however should classify themselves as hardcore, whether that relates to playing EQ2 or just computer games in general.

People who go to Fan Faire? Well they're just plain weird.

Thunderthyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #22
Thunndar316

Loremaster

Fanboy vs Common Sense

Sleight of Hand is USELESS
Thunndar316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #23
Thunndar316

Loremaster

steelbadger wrote:

I have never really defined Hardcore/Casual in terms of play time, or content seen, or content intended.

I have always regarded Hardcore as being a drive to be the best you can be.  A drive to read class forums for little snippets of info that get you an extra 0.1% performance.  No matter if you play 1 hr a week or 40 hrs a week you can be "hardcore".  Most hardcore players will derive satisfaction from working hard towards a goal and finally accomplishing it.

Casual I'd define as a more happy-go-lucky approach to gaming.  The "it doesn't really matter, it's only a game" approach.  Pick up the class/game as you go along because it's not a job and people have better things to do with their real-life time than read forums.  Casuals get fun from games in a more diffuse way; they have fun simply by being logged in and playing the game.

I think it is very important that we describe the third group of people;

Hardcore-Slightly-Casual.  They have the same aims as the true Hardcore players but also have that little bit of casual blood in them telling them that they have better things to do with their life than learn as much as they can about the game.  This results in a want for achievement (the same kind of achievements as the true hardcore), but a want for achievement NOW (without having to waste real-life time learning the minutae of the game) rather than a want for achievement after it has been fully earned.

Casuals and Hardcore players tend to conflict due to their differing views in a group.  A Hardcore believes that people should strive to do the best they can, and if they don't they are holding everyone back in the worst possible way.  Casuals believe that Hardcores are stuck-up leetlord ubermongers.  Only concerned with parses, gear and strats.  Casuals can't help but wonder why people can't just enjoy the game for what it is, like they do.  So what if we die some?

And that is why I don't think casuals are the source of all the "omg too hard" posts.  It's only a game, what does it matter if someone else has a mythical or fabled gear, or can do a zone they (the casual) cannot do?  It doesn't.  It's only a game and as soon as you hit /camp desktop nothing in it matters.

This is like the best post I've ever read on this forum.

Sleight of Hand is USELESS
Thunndar316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #24
liveja

General

Why bother trying to define two totally useless terms that are more likely, these days, to be used as hostile pejoratives than anything else?

/boggle

Old 12-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #25
erin

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Why bother trying to define two totally useless terms that are more likely, these days, to be used as hostile pejoratives than anything else?

/boggle

Wow I actually agree with Flaye on something.

erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #26
Faine

Loremaster

Live and let live...

Not just a James Bond movie title - something we should all keep in mind.

Nobody is wrong for playing in a way that he/she enjoys.  The real purpose of this discussion is to stereotype - to put players into classifications.  And, of course, the classifications get used to point fingers - You're trying to make me play that game YOUR way, blah, blah, blah.

Nothing is ever black and white, and while people try to force them to be, because being black and white is simple, it takes a great deal more maturity and wisdom to comprehend and accept the multiple shades of gray involved in every aspect of life - be it gaming, relationships, work, etc...

So, you can classify me as wannabe-hardcore, actually casual.  RL comes first, and frankly, I just don't have the time to be as hardcore as I'd like to be.  I can accept that and still enjoy the game on a casual level.  At the end of the day, it is just a game, and how I choose to play is based on what is really important - taking care of RL first.  I can understand the need to be driven to accel in all aspects of life, but at the same time I also understand that there are only 24 hours in a day.

So, play how you wanna play.  As long as you can /quit desktop and have enjoyed yourself, you've played the game the right way.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #27
Yimway

Loremaster

As far as play styles, there is no hardcore or casual.  There are just game players.  Some people try harder, or are just better at playing a given game, nothing about their success is either hardcore or casual.

In regards to raiding, I'll accept a definition of hardcore and casual:

Hardcore - Guild that places success above the player, has attendance policies, and will replace any current member with anyone else that can do the same job better.

Casial - Everyone else.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #28
Kendricke

Loremaster

I wrote this back in September, 2006:  Casual Hardcore…or Hardcore Casual?

Recently, Steve “Moorgard” Danuser made a great post on his blog about the neverending Hardcore vs. Casual debates which rage across MMO forums.  He makes the point that there are no real casual players on those forums participating in those arguments - just different types of hardcore players. 

Now, I’m going to agree with Steve on this.  Years ago, back on EQII.com and EQLounge.com, I made several posts where I argued that the old “casual” and “hardcore” labels had to go - that they were no longer truly relevant in the context they were being used.

Each of us participating on the forums in such debates is hardcore in one way or another.  Oh, we’re not all hardcore “raiders”, or hardcore “casuals”, but we’re all hardcore.  One of the responders to Steve’s original post pointed it out when he started talking about the differences between in-game and out-of-game participation.  He referred to it as a form of addiction, but really, isn’t that what any “harcore” participant or fan is in some way.  In fact, the very word “fan” comes from “fanatic”, or one who is marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense devotion. 

I would argue that hardcore players are fanatics in some way.  We’re fanatical about our gameplay - whatever form that gameplay may take:  tradeskilling, soloing, group play, questing, and yes, raiding.

Compare it to sports fans.  Oh, there’s fans and then there’s fans.  The casual fan watches the game when it’s on, and might check the sports page to keep up with his or her favorite team.  However, the “hardcore” fan knows every injury, every trade, every traffic ticket, checks the internet constantly to post on fansites about how much that game RULED or that player SUCKED!  This is not the average fan - this fan is hardcore. 

So it is with MMO’s.  A casual player treats his or her gameplay as he would Civilization or Heroes of Might and Magic.  The game is installed.  The game is played.  The player either has fun or does not.  The game is turned off.  If the casual player decides to stop playing, there’s no monumental fanfaire…no treats to the developers…no mile long posts on 18 different forums.  A truly casual player just stops playing.

We are the hardcore.  If you’re reading this blog, chances have increased significantly that that statement applies to you.  If you take the time respond to this blog, the chances increase significantly more.

That’s a hard pill for some of us to swallow.  We’ve been drawing up battlelines and choosing sides for so long, the idea of being called hardcore when one considers oneself to be casual can be like referring to a Wellstone liberal as a Buchanan conservative.  Fire will be breathed and teeth will be gnashed.

However, I stand by the statements.  For years, I’ve personally considered myself as a “casual” player.  I put in only 10-12 hours a week on the actual gameplay.  However, I’m also running a guild, running a fansite, writing a blog on the subject, flying across the country to conventions, and wracking up thousands of posts on various forums dedicated to the games I play.  In the world of MMO’s, I’m the half-naked beer belly fan painted up in team colors yelling obscenities down from my season ticket seats.  Chances are…so are you.

* -Opinions expressed in this post do not represent any current or past employers.
Kendricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #29
Faine

Loremaster

Kendricke wrote:

In the world of MMO’s, I’m the half-naked beer belly fan painted up in team colors yelling obscenities down from my season ticket seats.

Excellent post.  Very insightful.  And, I love this quote!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #30
liveja

General

Kendricke wrote:

In the world of MMO’s, I’m the half-naked beer belly fan painted up in team colors yelling obscenities down from my season ticket seats.  Chances are…so are you.

/applaud

Well written, Ken.