EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Expansions and Adventure Packs
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #241
liveja

General

Kander wrote:

Noaani wrote:

Kander wrote:

FYI: Stay tuned for the Shard of the Day solo quest, with some additional solo content. Cannot say more, but keep your eyes peeled for GU52.

I hope this is either a different type of shard, is an insanly long quest, or is a joke.

The current plan is that it will take a time investment similar to that of running an entire instance.

I can just see the "casual soloists" who will suddenly discover the daily quest is "too hard" for a "non-raider", & they will then begin loudly lobbying SOE to "tone the quests down" so that "normal people" can get shards, too.

I can easily see it, because that's precisely why this change is being made in the first place SMILEY

Old 01-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #242
CrazyMoogle

Loremaster

Kander wrote:

FYI: Stay tuned for the Shard of the Day solo quest, with some additional solo content. Cannot say more, but keep your eyes peeled for GU52.

Excellent!

CrazyMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #243
Leko

Loremaster

Kander wrote:

Noaani wrote:

Kander wrote:

I hope this is either a different type of shard, is an insanly long quest, or is a joke.

The current plan is that it will take a time investment similar to that of running an entire instance.

Great Plan.  Thanks Kander for looking at the solo players as well.  This will also help out those of us who play on the very low population PvP servers. 

Old 01-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #244
Ikke

Loremaster

Kander wrote:

Ikke wrote:

squidexplosion wrote:

I have found TSO in general is a good expansion--but it is true its pretty heavily group oriented. I would like to see the addition of a weekly earn a shard quest for a solo player the same way there is one offered for crafters from the Mara quests. This would allow all people to get at least some of the new gear items (eventually) if the have trouble finding groups for whatever reason

I can't agree more. Give solo players a slow way to gather shards. I would be totally happy with a "once a week" quest that gives a shard or a repeatable solo instance with a very low chance of getting a shard as a reward.

Kander (and other developers),

I can only say: Thank you guys. I know I will enjoy his. As I said earlier, I don't expect to get as many shards as group/raid players but having the knowledge that I will eventually be able to get one or two shard items makes me happy!

Cheers,

Ikke

Old 01-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #245
Loendar

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Kander wrote:

Noaani wrote:

Kander wrote:

I can just see the "casual soloists" who will suddenly discover the daily quest is "too hard" for a "non-raider", & they will then begin loudly lobbying SOE to "tone the quests down" so that "normal people" can get shards, too.

I can easily see it, because that's precisely why this change is being made in the first place

Really? What difference does it make?  Shard collection is currently a joke anyway.  One of my guildmates went into the weekend with zero shards and came out of the weekend with 9 and she was barely online.  Only a couple of those shards were from a TSO run she did with a group actually intending to do the content (mine).  The other were gathered by greying out the zone and then wandering through to do just what was needed to get the shard.

Sure, you can't get the extra 'chest' shard - but who cares?  You can kick through a grey zone in 15-30 minutes or less if you know what you are doing.  What's one more shard in such a flawed system?

I used to want them to change it - but now I don't even care.  Those who were/are going to abuse the system have long ago gotten their rewards.

Really - each day that I log on they should just let me /claim a shard or two.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #246
Thanon
Server: Runnyeye

Loremaster

Kander wrote:

Welfare epics ftw

/rolls eyes

Thanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #247
liveja

General

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Kander wrote:

Noaani wrote:

Kander wrote:

I can easily see it, because that's precisely why this change is being made in the first place

Really? What difference does it make?  Shard collection is currently a joke anyway.

Yes, shard collection is a joke, which causes me to wonder why it needs to be made easier. There's honestly no reason to make it easier .... except due to all the "omgzorz it's toooooo haaaaaaaaard" whiners who impelled this change in the first place. You can bet some of those same people will quickly begin the same whine after this quest is implemented as well.

As for "what difference does it make", well, I guess we'll see.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #248
Yella

Loremaster

Kander wrote:

Noaani wrote:

Kander wrote:

And of course completely fails to address the issue of lack of content for duo/trio players. I pretty much stopped playing EQ2 when TSO came out, there is no incentive to even log in any more. Loot (and means to achieve that) is not content, zones and mobs/events therein are.

Yella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #249
Yella

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Kander wrote:

FYI: Stay tuned for the Shard of the Day solo quest

I give up

As far as solo play is concerned, there is intrinsically no difference if it takes the same time and approximate difficulty. I don't see what your problem is other than a pathological desire to prevent people who solo from working (however slowly) towards long term constructive goals for their character. There is absolutely no good reason to oppose that other than just being so.

However, based on your posting history I don't think we could expect any position less than that from you.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #250
Yella

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Kander wrote:

Noaani wrote:

Kander wrote:

Really? What difference does it make?  Shard collection is currently a joke anyway.

Yes, shard collection is a joke, which causes me to wonder why it needs to be made easier. There's honestly no reason to make it easier .... except due to all the "omgzorz it's toooooo haaaaaaaaard" whiners who impelled this change in the first place. You can bet some of those same people will quickly begin the same whine after this quest is implemented as well.

As for "what difference does it make", well, I guess we'll see.

Because some people play the game properly instead of loading up low level alt toons to side step the difficulty? If anything, you should be applauding this move, instead you somehow see gimping content by greying mobs into trivial mode as a step up from someone soloing at level????????

Sorry dude, you just lost the last shred of credibility you had.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #251
liveja

General

Yella wrote:

Because some people play the game properly instead of loading up low level alt toons to side step the difficulty?

If you play the game properly, getting shards is a joke. You don't need to exploit the system. I never have, because I don't need to.

The rest of your little rant isn't worth a comment.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #252
RafaelSmith

Loremaster

I am torn about having the solo-shard quest.

On one hand due to the heavy bias toward AE tanking in TSO, I have struggled to get shards since TSO came out so having a method available to me that does not require me having the absoloute perfect group makeup  will be nice.

On the other hand, I hate when thing that should take effort and time are triviliazed.

While for some getting shards is easy now...I know several that have shards to throw away...for others its not.

Just wish they could have found a better way to rebalance things in TSO besides via a solo quest.  I hate soloing..its too easy and too boring.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #253
Valdaglerion

Loremaster

It's interesting to see this ONLY because the crafting missions have both heroic and solo content for Far Seas Tokens.

Now, in all fairness for crafting heroic zones can be done once per day, solo is once per week. Heroic = loot, Solo = nothing but a token.

So now that Void Shard missions are introducing a solo mission I see that the solo there is once per day, already head of what can be done on the crafting missions. What about loot? Can I still get fabled drops from the solo missions SMILEY

Valdaglerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #254
Elwin
Server: Venekor
Guild: Blades of Honor

Loremaster

There was no lack of solo content in TSO it just lacked an honest way to get shards. 99% of the quests in TSO are soloable.

Did soloers complain in RoK that they couldn't run CoA, Maidens, Vaults solo?

The complaining won't stop so what's next? Solo Epic weapon line?

Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #255
liveja

General

I've come to the conclusion that I don't actually care. Like I said, I give up. People can only do it once a day, so people will still be looking for instance groups, & if it does something to make all the "omgzorz its toooooo haaaaaaaard" whiners finally shut up, it will be a good thing.

Sadly, tho, I'm convinced that knuckling under never silences the whiners; it only emboldens them to whine louder for more.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #256
hellfire

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I've come to the conclusion that I don't actually care. Like I said, I give up. People can only do it once a day, so people will still be looking for instance groups, & if it does something to make all the "omgzorz its toooooo haaaaaaaard" whiners finally shut up, it will be a good thing.

Sadly, tho, I'm convinced that knuckling under never silences the whiners; it only emboldens them to whine louder for more.

Kinda like  people that group...people that whine...tradeskillers.....everyone whines and they all keep whineing regardless of the play style.

Soloers whineing for anything of legendary quality+ is same as  groupers complaining for fabled/master+...and   nether is a lesser issue...they are the same issue.

Summoner pets are 1/3 the dps of a summoner and yet our stats and modifiers do not affect them.Since a pet is 1/3 a summoners dps,a summoner receives 2/3 benefit from gear when compared to any other class.

SHARED STATS AND MODIFIERS ARE A MUST!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 08!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 09!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 10!

2011 and Finally we are Fixed!

/Rides off into the sunset
hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #257
CrazyMoogle

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

You're fighting the wrong fight.  That's what you haven't figured out yet.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #258
kcirrot

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

So they should have ignored all the "whiners" who were making (valid) complaints that RoK lacked meaningful group content?  Because that's why TSO is the way it is now, pretty much.  SOE has been doing this forever, trying to strike a balance between solo, group, and raid.

I've consumed all three content streams, and am very happy about the addition of this solo quest.  I don't see how it affects you.  People who didn't want to group before may be emboldened by having a few shards into tipping their toes into grouping more broadly.

For my part, I'm just happy because I do like grouping and soloing.  Not one better than the other.  Now I can advance my gear using both forms of content.  That's a good thing IMO.

kcirrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #259
Illine
Server: Storms
Guild: Apocalypse

Loremaster

kcirrot wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

So they should have ignored all the "whiners" who were making (valid) complaints that RoK lacked meaningful group content?  Because that's why TSO is the way it is now, pretty much.  SOE has been doing this forever, trying to strike a balance between solo, group, and raid.

I've consumed all three content streams, and am very happy about the addition of this solo quest.  I don't see how it affects you.  People who didn't want to group before may be emboldened by having a few shards into tipping their toes into grouping more broadly.

For my part, I'm just happy because I do like grouping and soloing.  Not one better than the other.  Now I can advance my gear using both forms of content.  That's a good thing IMO.

only pb is there's not much solo. You finish the solo content in a week ... then what? you can't perma group ...

Illine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #260
Griffildur
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: First Lords

Loremaster

kcirrot wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

No offence, but why do people who DO NOT  group , need shards in the first place ? The shard armour gives you the possibility to work on the harder TSO instances. What sort of solo content can possibly require shard armour ?

Any TSO instance can give 2 shards, if you find the key mob and the chest. I see the addition of a solo quest to do this just an ironic stupidity. If people group and do hard content then fair enough, they earn their shard(s) by killing hard stuff, harder than anything else.

A soloer should not get any, simple as that. Nor should any1 be able to just grey out a TSO zone and get shards that way.

In fact an even better way of doing this would be to just make all shard quests require you to kill some harder stuff and not allow any1 to complete it just by finding clickies.

Of course , by now, almost any1 who wanted to, had enough time to abuse the system and many people have full T2. It does not make it right though and I am surprised SOE doesn't take the time to properly test something.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #261
CrazyMoogle

Loremaster

People really need to stop using the laughable "if you solo you don't need shard gear" argument.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #262
Griffildur

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

People really need to stop using the laughable "if you solo you don't need shard gear" argument.

Would you care to explain what possible need is there for shard armour for a soloer ?

Old 01-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #263
liveja

General

[email protected] wrote:

Please tell me what you can't solo without void shard armor. Seriously, if you really think you need it that badly .... get a few groups, do a few instances, BAM! You've got shard armor!

Old 01-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #264
Inferius
Server: Nektulos

Loremaster

Wether grouped or solo TSO is the worst expantion to date in my humble opinion.It seems lazy,not very well thought out and incredibly buggy.

Maybe if they stopped giving away beta test keys to people who dont actually feedback problems then this would have been a better exp pack.Most of the shard quests were buggy and you couldnt loot shards from chests on opening day and itemisation is still laclustre this was epic fail at launching an expansion lol.

I love this game so much but its saddening me to see it degrade before my very eyes SMILEY

Old 01-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #265
liveja

General

[email protected] wrote:

Wether grouped or solo TSO is the worst expantion to date in my humble opinion.

I think TSO is the best thing EQ2 has put out yet.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #266
Griffildur

Loremaster

It managed to make people want to group more. There's always something happening and everyone wants to do TSO.

Therefore, I don't really see this as being tyhe worst expansion ever, it actually seems to be the best so far.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #267
Loendar

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Would you care to explain what possible need is there for shard armour for a soloer ?

How about this...

I enjoy playing in all aspects of the game: solo, group, raiding and occassionally tradeskilling.  With that said, my guild is currently going through another 'low period' where we really only have enough people on to form one group *maybe* once or twice a week.  I suspect this will change in the future - but this happened at the TSO launch...so there we have it...

So, we spend Saturday evening getting together and running a TSO instance.  Every one of us wants shard gear to make these runs easier in the future and to do the higher things.  At the pace we are able to pull off though, we are looking at 6+ months to even get full T1 gear.  The addition of a solo quest series to let those of us that are around a bit more an option to accelerate that process seems good.

To paraphrase:

I enjoy grouping and doing TSO instances and therefore would like shard gear.I don't enjoy pick-up groups, so I prefer to stick with those I know (which doesn't mean I don't like grouping, see above)I *do* need shards to get gear for the nights I am able to do a guild groupQuestions?

Old 01-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #268
Dareena
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Dark Prophecy

Loremaster

Well I'm personally happy that GU 52 is adding a daily solo shard quest.  One of the key focuses of this expansion is the concept of slowly working towards a goal.  To be more specific, buying specific items with void shards.  Void shard items have become the carrot at the end of the stick for TSO.  If a person solos or small groups, then the original set up was going to inherently disenfranchise them.  When the point of the expansion is void shards and you know that you can't get any, then you're going to be discouraged.  With the new solo quest, all players can feel like they're slowly making progress towards a goal.

Dareena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #269
Dareena
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Dark Prophecy

Loremaster

Deleted double post

Dareena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #270
Ikke

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Wether grouped or solo TSO is the worst expantion to date in my humble opinion.

I think TSO is the best thing EQ2 has put out yet.

I am glad you like TSO with your playstyle.

Having this soloquest for players with a different playstyle does not change the way you play this game but gives me with my playstyle another target to aim for. It is going to be a slow way of getting these shard items but I will enjoy the idea that I am working towards items that are (for me as a solo player) the pinnacle of the items that I will be able to get from TSO.

Believe me, before I have my full set, you will be raiding the end content of the next expansion. So please don't whine about solo players who do not bother you and play this game the way they want to.