EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Vinyard
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster

Just like in the days of old, let us once again make them worth grinding in.

Dungeons are cool and all I guess, but heroic overland zones were some of the best times to be had back in the days of yore. Bring back heroic scarecrows in Antonica, heroic giants in TS....

No one goes there anyway. Maybe make them hotzones or something.

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
hoosierdaddy

Loremaster

Yer.

Zombies at Caltorsis. Giant Crater in TS. Shakey's Farm in RV.

I'm there.

"The human race is the most stupid and unfair kind of race. A lot of the runners don't even get decent sneakers or clean drinking water. Some runners are born with a massive head start, every possible help along the way and still the referees seem to be on their side. It's not surprising a lot of people have given up competing altogether and gone to sit in the grandstand, eat junk and shout abuse. What the human race needs is a lot more streakers." -- Banksy
hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
benda

Loremaster

How about just a heroic version of a small part of the zones its sad when a lvl 12 healer can solo chipper with out even needing to heal when i first started playing 7 years ago it seemed he would run 2 miles just to wipe your full group heading to blackburrow now just a old toothless gnoll

benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Brigh

Loremaster

The giants in TS are heroic.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Dreyco

Archive of Ik

I would rather them add more compelling content to these zones than simply make them "grind" zones.  Not many people want to grind.  Now if they added some neat heroic content to these areas?  Sure.  But another excuse to grind away at mobs?  Seems like a waste of time really...

Grand Historian of The Archive of Ik
Dreyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
thephantomposter

Loremaster

I like this idea, ie: I remember when I had to watch out for Ladon in the CLs. The poor guy doesn't even scare anyone anymore.

thephantomposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Why would they waste time up-tiering MOBs in zones in which very few people even solo, let alone bring groups into? What problem would this suggestion solve?

Old 08-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
Priddles
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Carpe Diem

Loremaster

As someone who leveled up a character to 50 at launch, and then running through the same areas again 5 years later, I like them better as they are now.

At launch, literally everything was a group encounter. I remember the fun of walking to Fallen gate through 20 triple up arrow rock giants. This worked when EQ2 was about the journey and not the destination and there were groups a plenty, as well as things like shared XP debt and shard runs made it actually scary to try to walk through those areas, but now that EQ2 is almost entirely focused on the end game, it wouldn't work the same.The main reason being is that there would be no one to actually group with to take on those encounters, I know mercs and yadda yadda, but if they put them back just for moloing, it's the same as leaving them as solo mobs.

I'm not sure when this change happened, since I quit around Desert of Flame's release and only just came back sometime into Sentinel's Fate.

Priddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #9
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

This is a pointless idea.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:02 AM   #10
Vinyard

Loremaster

Yea because getting players out into the world, into zones they probably didn't even know existed, is so pointless.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #11
DamselInDistress

Champion

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Yea because getting players out into the world, into zones they probably didn't even know existed, is so pointless.

aha and exactly how does making overland mobs into heroics, attract players in these overland areas that no one knew existed ? 

DamselInDistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
Kasar

Loremaster

DamselInDistress wrote:

aha and exactly how does making overland mobs into heroics, attract players in these overland areas that no one knew existed ? 

It would if people used LFG flags and it took finding someone to help with quests in those zones.

Neither of those things are generally true anymore though.

Kasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

DamselInDistress wrote:

[Removed post.]

Yea: welcome to 2005, when this game was superior in every conceivable way.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
DamselInDistress

Champion

Freejazzlive wrote:

DamselInDistress wrote:

[Removed post.]

helpfull .... not. Most of the so called "gamers" of today cannot tie their shoes without a youtube video showing them how. 

In the age of "gimme" mentality do you really think most can cope with difficult overland areas ? Let's be honest here.

DamselInDistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
Juggercap

Elder

DamselInDistress wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

DamselInDistress wrote:

[Removed post.]

helpfull .... not. Most of the so called "gamers" of today cannot tie their shoes without a youtube video showing them how. 

In the age of "gimme" mentality do you really think most can cope with difficult overland areas ? Let's be honest here.

I don't care about 'most'. This game doesn't need to cater to the lcd. It wasn't hard before. It just required some thought. SJ and co turned their back on the old crowd in some insane attempt to win over a new crowd. What they had worked...even if it wasn't for everyone. What they are doing now is becoming part of the too many games that all offer the same thing that people will play for a bit and move on. They lose the vets who are sick of it, and gain a rotating player base that could die off at a moments notice, but will never become loyal.

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
Gilasil

Loremaster

You make those heroic, such that players couldn't even do them with a mercenary, and you'll just chase away what few people still go there.  There's few enough people in places like Antonica now.  Forcing people to get a group before they can do anything just won't work.

Now that there are mercenaries, I think it would be reasonable to have more areas which require a merc.  However, they must be doable with an at-level character + merc.  There's an area in Withered lands which most people who are doing that zone will want a merc for.  Hopefully we'll see more like that in the future.

But every time you require a group to do something, some people will avoid that thing.

Grouping is fun sometimes, but often after a hard day at work you just want to zone out and do something easy for awhile.  Then being able to solo is very nice.

The old grouping is required mindset was killing the game.  EQ could get away with it because people didn't have any other choice.  Once WoW came along and gave people a choice, requiring people to group just became a good way to chase people away to a game which didn't require grouping.  Which it did.

Of course I could see farmers liking this.  Come into an heroic area mentored down and overpowered and farm away.  I hope it never comes to that.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
Yimway

Loremaster

Lets be honest here, there is nothing heroic about mobs level 20-50.  Almost any moderately skilled player can solo heroic cons in these level ranges.

I see no issue returning heroic tags to overland zones as they were at launch.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
Lasai

Loremaster

I dont see any point to going back to the linked heroic everythings as it was.

However, with mercs, I think many of the old named should be bumped back up to be fights.

Even the old 2x should go back up, Dreadwake, others.

Holly, Paddlefoot, other Old World named should be 3ups again.  They need to look at con as well.

Stupid that my 22 dirge with an SK merc should take down Bloodtalon.  I can see letting players do the old heroic named with a merc, but, not at orange con, and it should be a "maybe" fight at even con...with a merc.  Solo.. no way.

There should still be a reason to look over your shoulders.  Some things out there need to bite harder.

I still like roaming the old game with my newbs.  To me, its a lot more fun than the Linear Superhighway is.  But, it seems some wont be happy untill that single defined path is all that is left.  I understand not wanting to go there.. but if you don't want to go there again, why care about what the content is or isnt?

Lasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #19
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

DamselInDistress wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

DamselInDistress wrote:

talk about useless ideas and threads ... welcome to 2005. Oh wait ...

I don't share your obvious contempt for other gamers, or your pseudo-elitist attitude.

That's especially true when you chose not to even argue the point I made, but sidestepped it entirely.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Lets be honest here, there is nothing heroic about mobs level 20-50.  Almost any moderately skilled player can solo heroic cons in these level ranges.

I see no issue returning heroic tags to overland zones as they were at launch.

Whether the first point is true or not -- & personally, I suspect it's not necessarily true -- is not a good argument against at least some tuning-up of old zones. In this sense, I kinda like Lasai's compromise of returning some of the named mobs to a tougher status.

Having said that, I think the game would be better off if there were a few more linked heroic groups in Antonica & Commonlands.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #21
Vinyard

Loremaster

Here is a serious idea that I want your opinion on.

Remove the grouping penalty to exp.

You make the old overland zones heroic.

With that, some of them will be "Hot Zones". 

With "Hot Zones", you will be able to pick up a specific quest for that zone that will require you to kill amount of heroic mobs. When turning in this quest, you will be awarded AA experience (so you can get your adventure exp from the kills, and AA experience specifically from the quests).

Yes I realize people could just hire someone to plow through this, but I think it would bea great incentive to get out into the world, and not just hide in a house/guild hall/afk following in a dungeon/afk killing stuff in Anathema.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #22
Yimway

Loremaster

I know of no player that does not support removing this penalty.

SoE says they are players too.  So they must also understand why this penalty needs to go.

I'll await seeing it in the next patch notes...

Old 08-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #23
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I know of no player that does not support removing this penalty.

I don't even understand why there's a "grouping penalty" to begin with. It seems to me there ought to be a grouping bonus. Give people more incentive to group -- & no, dungeons don't cut it, when mercenaries are as powerful as they are.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #24
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

Hah, I remember coming over from EQ1 when this game launched, I actually quit because I thought the game was too carebear easy.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #25
ZachSpastic

Loremaster

Just like in the days of old, let us once again make them worth grinding in.

Dungeons are cool and all I guess, but heroic overland zones were some of the best times to be had back in the days of yore. Bring back heroic scarecrows in Antonica, heroic giants in TS....

No one goes there anyway. Maybe make them hotzones or something.

If you post this over on flames I'll be able to tell you exactly what I think of your "idea". Here I can only say, no, this would serve no beneficial purpose whatsoever.

ZachSpastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #26
Mermut

Loremaster

People don't even need a merc to make the overland zones stupidly easy. I remember going through Kunark with my first toon just before Moors came out and it actually being at least semi-challenging. I'm running through it now and it's stupidly easy, no challenge, no danger.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #27
Halo of G4

Loremaster

I'm a person who does a lot of old quests on my main during my spare time when I'm not raiding (Almost to 5000!) so that means I go through a lot of the old zones to do as many of the nightmarish waiting quests like killing *a rapid young obese critter enforcer* 50 times in like several areas, oh and its also uncommon update.  Anyways, during these times while waiting, i check /who out of curiosity. In zones like Zek, TS, EL, Nek, Feerott it's 1-2 other individuals the majority of the time. With something like PoF or Rivervale, it's usually just me. And this is on Crushbone mind you...

What will the point be making Antonica, Commonlands, Nektulos, Everfrost, and Lavastorm heroic again? You think that will increase difficulty? The difficult part will be finding a group to form with people in your level range who want to grind some heroic skeletons in Nektrupos if you're new of course. Not to mention Lavastorm/Everfrost are part of the Golden Path, why add a giant restriction for new comers? Go ahead and take a time machine back to 04-05. Everything in Classic EQ2 was literal tank n spank. It wasn't until later we got some nifty scripts worth a dang.

Oh and bringing back old x2/x4's. Yeah and the purpose for this? I can mentor down 10 levels below Vox (45) and still whoop her butt solo with the gear I have on. Take the loot and give it to my alt via bank. So what's the point? Is there really going to be that many people in that level range forming 2-4 groups for it? And for what, a possible chance of dropping a a TREASURE chest instead of an esquisite chest? Oh boy that sounds fun, I forgot that one detail about old classic raid names.

Added Raid Zone:

The Goldrush: Dwell into the depths of RED base to defeat the Heavy, a powerful foe that even the Nameless fears.

Halo of G4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #28
Halo of G4

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Hah, I remember coming over from EQ1 when this game launched, I actually quit because I thought the game was too carebear easy.

Tedious =/= Challenge

Added Raid Zone:

The Goldrush: Dwell into the depths of RED base to defeat the Heavy, a powerful foe that even the Nameless fears.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #29
Darq

Loremaster

but but doesn't anyone ever think of the children?

really idk whos idea ok i do know whos idea it was to turn this into a kids game ah why do i even bother, they're set on turning this game into a game for 6yr olds, it won't change. ever since WoW the whole industry turned into creating games for imbeciles.

Darq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #30
Halo of G4

Loremaster

My brother was in the Air Force for 6 years and now works for Boeing as a technical engineer and he plays WoW.

I guess he's one of those imbecile kids that in order to be a mature responsible adult is to be good at some "hard" mmo *rolls eyes*

Added Raid Zone: