EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Rothgar

Developer

Since there will undoubtedly be a lot of discussion around GU57 and the UI changes make up a decent chunk of the update, I wanted to start a thread specifically for feedback about the user-interface.

Please keep this thread dedicated to user-interface changes and I will be happy to answer questions about our intent and listen to your ideas and suggestions.

Please keep this in mind.  The user-interface is an area of the game where you'll have about as many different opinions as we have players.  There's no way to create a "perfect" UI in the eyes of everyone and this is why we have an awesome modding community.  Prior to this update there were lots of people who preferred third-party UI's and we fully expect as many or more to continue using them.  We expect some of you to like the new changes over the old and expect many to prefer the old changes over the new.

That said, I'll respond to a few comments I've already seen posted.

Character Window

The Persona and Inventory windows have been combined into a new "Character" window.  This will make it easier to swap gear while viewing your stats.  The overall size of the new window is not much bigger than the old windows.  We remapped Crouch so we could use "C" for this window since it just makes sense.  We removed the default keybindings of "I" and "P" just to clean things up.  So if you want to continue using those keys, you'll have to remap them yourself.

XP Bar

The new XP bar is not for everyone, we understand that. Our UI always lacked some sort of anchor element which resulted in a lot of floating windows.  Third-party UI's have created top and bottom anchor bars for awhile now.  We decided that we wanted to create an anchor like this for the default UI.  The XP bar has been designed to snap to the top or the bottom of the screen, or you can keep it centered in the screen below your hotbars.  As with any window, you can always hide this window completely if you don't care to see it.  We expect our modding community to come out with all kinds of cool replacements for this bar, anywhere from minimal anchor bars filled with stats to other crazy things we probably aren't thinking of.  The nice thing is that they can make use of the snapping functionality thats built into the bar and I can't wait to see what people come up with.

Hotbars

The hotbars have a new grab handle on the right side to balance out the spinners on the left.  If you hide the spinner, the grab bar will hide as well.

Mini-Map / Compass / Clock

The mini-map now has a clock built in and indicators for your compass directions.  Our goal was to minimize some clutter by removing the floating compass and clock windows.  If you like your mini-map plain, you can hide the new clock elements by adjusting the frame and titlebar opacity.  We left the compass in the game for those of you that want it but don't want to keep your minimap up.  However, we did remove the clock window permanently.

Tutorials

The new tutorial windows are designed to help players that are new to MMO's as well as players from other games to quickly learn the basics of gameplay in EQII.  If you start a lot of alts and don't want to see these, they can be disabled under Options -> User Interface -> Game Features.

If you start a new character, you'll notice that the UI is very clean now and we hope that this will be more appealing to new players.  We've tried to make the UI as customizable as possible so our veteran players can continue to play in a way that they enjoy.  In addition to the in-game customization, we hope to see lots of cool add-ons from the modding community.

I look forward to hearing more of your feedback and hope you'll enjoy some of these changes.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Hotbars

The hotbars have a new grab handle on the right side to balance out the spinners on the left.  If you hide the spinner, the grab bar will hide as well.

I like the idea of an extra handle, however I'm wondering if you could give us the option to show/hide the spinner/handle as a right-click option again anywhere on the hotbar rather than in the "Hotbar Options" menu. Changing the visibility of the spinner/handle is something I generally only do for a short time then switch it back to it's previous setting (generally to move a hotbar, then hide the spinner), and having to go through that window adds time and annoyance to the process.

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Yimway

Loremaster

My only question is why click-to-cure is still left out of the default ui.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
Calthine

ZAM EQII

Silly, but I will miss my clock window.

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
FearDiadh

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

That is the only reason I use Proft, hehe.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Barx

Loremaster

Calthine wrote:

Silly, but I will miss my clock window.

I'm with ya Calthine. My minimap is in a completely different spot from my clock, and I use the clock regularly (for both time and for /loc info). I would love to see it in the same circumstance as the compass -- not normally visible, but there if you want it.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Deson

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Character Window

The Persona and Inventory windows have been combined into a new "Character" window.  This will make it easier to swap gear while viewing your stats.  The overall size of the new window is not much bigger than the old windows.  We remapped Crouch so we could use "C" for this window since it just makes sense.  We removed the default keybindings of "I" and "P" just to clean things up.  So if you want to continue using those keys, you'll have to remap them yourself.

You could just rename it the persona window and keep it mapped to the "p" key as it is currently. Seems like less work and equally intuitive.

[email protected] DLere wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

That is the only reason I use Proft, hehe.

This too. I didn't comment though because FF is coming and the notes look rather slim.

I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom. I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break...
Deson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Ristan
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Contempt

Loremaster

I miss the clock window too, as i hardly ever use te mini map.

Ristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Avianna
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Ronin

Loremaster

I like all the changes save two rothgar.

1.) gimmi my clock back

2.) Take out the huge ugly SC button and put it back ito the start menu where it belongs.

P.S. I can live with the huge ugly SC button but pls gimmi the clock back

Old 07-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Malacha

General

WHY are you removing the clock??? There is absolutely no reason to do this, and will lead to frustration on my part, as I use the clock ALOT, and do not want to be forced to display it in my mini-map. Again with the removing options... not good, not good at all.

Maewyn | Maelya | Alania | Maehymn | Maelani (Account Canceled)
Malacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
Nevynmysti

Tester

Rothgar wrote:

Since there will undoubtedly be a lot of discussion around GU57 and the UI changes make up a decent chunk of the update, I wanted to start a thread specifically for feedback about the user-interface.

Please keep this thread dedicated to user-interface changes and I will be happy to answer questions about our intent and listen to your ideas and suggestions.

Please keep this in mind.  The user-interface is an area of the game where you'll have about as many different opinions as we have players.  There's no way to create a "perfect" UI in the eyes of everyone and this is why we have an awesome modding community.  Prior to this update there were lots of people who preferred third-party UI's and we fully expect as many or more to continue using them.  We expect some of you to like the new changes over the old and expect many to prefer the old changes over the new.

That said, I'll respond to a few comments I've already seen posted.

Character Window

Will have to see this ingame to decide on if I like or not, only to say atm is I HOPE and EXPECT that you are including options to still use the ui as it is before GU57.

XP Bar

The new XP bar is not for everyone, we understand that. Our UI always lacked some sort of anchor element which resulted in a lot of floating windows.  Third-party UI's have created top and bottom anchor bars for awhile now.  We decided that we wanted to create an anchor like this for the default UI.  The XP bar has been designed to snap to the top or the bottom of the screen, or you can keep it centered in the screen below your hotbars.  As with any window, you can always hide this window completely if you don't care to see it.  We expect our modding community to come out with all kinds of cool replacements for this bar, anywhere from minimal anchor bars filled with stats to other crazy things we probably aren't thinking of.  The nice thing is that they can make use of the snapping functionality thats built into the bar and I can't wait to see what people come up with.

Upset is my initial reaction. I got all my hotbars running along the bottome of my screen, with the exp bar centered so I can easily spot it when I need it. I don't like the fact your forcing us to have it snap to grid, either top or bottom. From everything I have heard, your taking all the wrong things from the modding community UI's that I dislike and clutter my screen up.

Hotbars

This is good, hope it helps me move them more when I decide to move them.

The mini-map now has a clock built in and indicators for your compass directions.  Our goal was to minimize some clutter by removing the floating compass and clock windows.  If you like your mini-map plain, you can hide the new clock elements by adjusting the frame and titlebar opacity.  We left the compass in the game for those of you that want it but don't want to keep your minimap up.  However, we did remove the clock window permanently.

Upset. I like haveing a seperate clock circle. I don't like that fact that its a frame on my mini map that is so much more clean and neat run without frames on at all.

Tutorials

The new tutorial windows are designed to help players that are new to MMO's as well as players from other games to quickly learn the basics of gameplay in EQII.  If you start a lot of alts and don't want to see these, they can be disabled under Options -> User Interface -> Game Features.

Already run with these off since I am experienced but glad you are considering these new folks.

If you start a new character, you'll notice that the UI is very clean now and we hope that this will be more appealing to new players.  We've tried to make the UI as customizable as possible so our veteran players can continue to play in a way that they enjoy.  In addition to the in-game customization, we hope to see lots of cool add-ons from the modding community.

I look forward to hearing more of your feedback and hope you'll enjoy some of these changes.

Changes in Purple are what I have to say... going to read up and test this out as soon as I can log into test....

In response to previous posts:

Agree with Atan on why you are ignoring the CLICK to CURE stuff. Its the only reason I looked into the super used PROPHIT UI. And what I discovered is the best UI I have had is a hybrid, click to cures from Prophit and the rest default UI that is currently used.

I agree with Everyone about the removal of the clock, completely silly. Agree with Deson as well on the key mapping... as well as the fact I liked having the Persona window seperate from the Character Inventory window because I put them on opposite sides of the screen and can watch the changes as I make them with changes in gear. All one window not any bigger then it is now won't show all this SMILEY

I don't like what I am hearing has been added to the maintained window at all. I don't want all that freaking stupid writing list right out by each icon, thats what mousover was for!

I don't like what I am hearing about extra freaking SC Button on my screen either. I hate it in FreeRealms and I will hate it here. Better have an option to turn this button off our you will probably lose me as a customer. I thought the big thing was keeping current customers but guess not. I can get to the SC Store just fine through the Welcome Screen or the EQII Button. I don't need a [Removed for Content] button on my screen for it!

width="500"

height="164"

border="0">

Nevynmysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
dubritski

Loremaster

Charcter window on C, what do we crouch with then ?

Also i saw somewhere that new spells would overwrite the old version on the hotbar, not sure if it was here or on eq2wire, I think that is kinda dumb, since my old spells are all masters or experts, and i dont want to use the new one until they are at least an upgrade to the old one.

dubritski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
Kreton

Loremaster

So you are forcing us to have the minimap open just to see the clock now?  I like the ability to quickly see what time it is while I'm in game, and I do not like having the minimap open to "clutter" my screen.  Let us have the option of using the clock window.

Kreton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
KNINE

Loremaster

hopefully profit updater gets updated quickly is all i can say /shrug

KNINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #15
Deson

Loremaster

dubritski wrote:

Also i saw somewhere that new spells would overwrite the old version on the hotbar, not sure if it was here or on eq2wire, I think that is kinda dumb, since my old spells are all masters or experts, and i dont want to use the new one until they are at least an upgrade to the old one.

Hopefully there is more to come like ensuring the auto pop spells are always equal or better and a revamp of training to be more like AA/the old training system.

I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom. I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break...
Deson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #16
Hirofortis

Loremaster

Click to cure is probably the single biggest reason anyone uses other ui's over the default.  Would be nice that in the default ui.

Hirofortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #17
dubritski

Loremaster

Deson wrote:

dubritski wrote:

Hopefully there is more to come like ensuring the auto pop spells are always equal or better and a revamp of training to be more like AA/the old training system.

I kinda hope that new Apprentice spells arent going to be better than old masters,... tho i would love to see new experts be atleast as good as old masters.

dubritski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
Yimway

Loremaster

Also, where is the autoattack indicator for the UI.

I don't see how you can 'update' the UI and ignore the 2 most important game mechanics missing from the current one.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #19
Rothgar

Developer

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

Hotbars

I like the idea of an extra handle, however I'm wondering if you could give us the option to show/hide the spinner/handle as a right-click option again anywhere on the hotbar rather than in the "Hotbar Options" menu. Changing the visibility of the spinner/handle is something I generally only do for a short time then switch it back to it's previous setting (generally to move a hotbar, then hide the spinner), and having to go through that window adds time and annoyance to the process.

Perhaps.  However, if you're showing/hiding the spinner just so you can move it, I think you'll like one of the other GU57 changes.  Pressing F10 will turn on the borders for all of your UI windows just like it always has, but now, while in this mode, you can freely move all windows even if they are locked and click-through. We also disable clicking of the hotbar buttons in this mode so you can drag the hotbar from anywhere.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #20
Barx

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

Hotbars

Perhaps.  However, if you're showing/hiding the spinner just so you can move it, I think you'll like one of the other GU57 changes.  Pressing F10 will turn on the borders for all of your UI windows just like it always has, but now, while in this mode, you can freely move all windows even if they are locked and click-through. We also disable clicking of the hotbar buttons in this mode so you can drag the hotbar from anywhere.

Ah that's true, I forgot about that. Given that, making it separate isn't really needed then.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #21
Eezel

Elder

XP Bar - I am hoping that its only a change of allowing the docking and not that a ton of modding is needed to make my current xp bar functional in this update. I like where I have it and how it looks. Its a variation of Profit UI's XP bar from a few updates ago and I haven't ever wanted to change it. I'm hoping this will be the case as I have tried many other Games and hated the UI's of nearly every single one of them including custom ones built for them. THEY LACK my comfort zone of use.

Clock - Agree with a lot of others we want our clock. Simple fact

Casting etc - Hope these changes are minimal as well.

Profile/Inventroy - Nice change except now what do we do Prouch instead of C rouch? The key assigned is the same key many use when raiding to crouch. Think it still could of defaulted to P as many hit that to see their Character Profile and its a simple key press.

Compass really should have an always show ability to keep it up.

Hotbars nice change hope again its easy to keep our current ones with a simple change to add the new drag option in.

Eezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #22
seamus

Loremaster

Can we get an AutoAttack bar? I tried using the one on EQ2Interface and it only works sporadically.

With weapon delays of 4, 5 and even 6 seconds and haste to compensate for it would be a great addition to the UI.

Thanks

Intel Core2Quad QX9650 @ 3.3GHz

Corsair H50

GSkill 4x2GB DDR2 F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ @ 5-5-5-12

Corsair 750HX PSU

Sapphire Vapor-X 5870

Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1

Klipsch Promedia GMX A-2.1

Denon AHD2000 Headphones

Intel X-25M 160GB SSD

ASUS DRW-2014L1T SATA

SILVERSTONE TJ-03 Case (Modified)

Microsoft Windows 7 X64
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #23
circusgirl

Loremaster

The three most important/useful mods out there (not necessarilly in order) are:

1. EQ2 maps
  2. autoattack bar
  3. click to cure
It seems a bit silly to revamp the UI without these features.

circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #24
GrunEQ

Tester

I want to keep my clock and I don't keep mini-map up.

Get rid of the all the clutter on the maintained window and put it back like it was.

Have the character window be keyed to P instead of changing it to C...this was needlessly confusing.

Put in click to cure and auto attack bar.

Moving UIs thru F10, I hope this shows up the small windows that can get buried under other windows and they show up, too.

I also how that if we don't want the new replacment spells yet, we will be able to keep the old spell on the hot bar till we are ready.

"O to be a voyager and a yoyeur no longer."

GrunEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #25
Cusashorn

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Character Window

Looks like I'll be remapping the Character window to P or I (or both) again... though I've been using D to "duck" since EverQuest first started.

XP Bar

I don't understand... The XP Bar can no longer be placed exactly where we want it to be placed? Will my XP bar be automatically moved when this goes in? I don't know what these "anchors" are.

Hotbars

This was always an annoyance for me, so I'm glad to see it.

This is just stupid. I don't like using the minimap, and shouldn't have to bring it up just to see what time it is in Norrath. I've had my clock setting neatly in the corner of my interface for years now.

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #26
Rothgar

Developer

The three most important/useful mods out there (not necessarilly in order) are:

1. EQ2 maps
  2. autoattack bar
  3. click to cure
It seems a bit silly to revamp the UI without these features.

EQ2 Maps is definitely helpful, but our quest ROI's and POI's that now appear on the map will be very helpful in that regard too.

The auto-attack bar is definitely more of an advanced feature that we will probably add in the future but wasn't something we had time to implement for GU57.  (Although most of the work was already done to give modders the ability to add it)

Click-to-cure is still something we're talking about adding but wasn't part of the main goal for this update.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #27
Rothgar

Developer

GrunEQ wrote:

Get rid of the all the clutter on the maintained window and put it back like it was.

You can already do this, just right-click and choose "Hide Text".

Old 07-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #28
Andu

General

Many would like to use the default UI but until it has the click-to-cast option then it is a non-starter for a huge portion of the playerbase.

EDIT - note cast not cure. Its not just cures that get tied to these buttons.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #29
Wonsokman
Server: Guk
Guild: Ne Plus Ultra

Loremaster

will test/test copy be unlocked anytime soon?

Wonsokman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #30
Nisala
Guild: Tales of Norrath

Loremaster

Will the new PoI/RoI feature still work with eq2maps installed? Or will I need to get rid of eq2maps to see these new PoI's?